Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Style: Eisbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Ratings: 2,623 |  Reviews: 1,168
4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

A-pours a dark copper with a huge slight off white head
S-huge sweet fruit (banana and apples)and clove with a nice yeast kick with a nice amount of alcohol
T-a huge sweet fruit a little clove and a big spicyness compared to its little brother, definately theres alot more alcohol in the background but overall this is world class definately a step above the normal aventinus but not quite as drinkable but a much bigger punch in the face flavorwise
M-very thick creamy body with a perfect amount of carbonation to compilment its spicyness this is the desert of beer
D-a very huge tasting beer, but this beer is orgasmically delicious very drinkable minus the abv which is the only deterent i personally wouldn't mind taking the risk if i was able to buy cases of it at a time i highly recommend you try it

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: brownish red in color, 2 inch head, high carbonation

Smell: some banana, toasted malt, caramel, and alcohol

Taste: some banana, toasted malt, caramel, apricot, and alcohol

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, high carbonation, semi-sweet, There is a harshness due to the high abv.

Drinkability: I like other eisbocks I have tried better. I do like the banana and lat flavor but the alcohol is a bit too harsh here for me to want another. Very boozy and complex, but just a bit much for me.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

500ml bottle from the LCBO. Pours a shade or two darker than iced tea, murky with a finger or so of head building up. Quickly fizzes out and leaves a collar around the edges.

As I'm pouring, before my nose is even in the glass, banana is wafting out. Close inspection also reveals a hefty dose of cloves, a hint of anise, figs and perhaps a squeeze of pear.

Taste mirrors the nose with an added measure of cloves, a hint of plum. High level of residual sweetness, slow alcohol burn as it trickles down the throat. Almost cola like, a little medicinal dryness in the finish, pretty spicy.

A beer to be reckoned with, 500ml of 12% beer can take you for a whirl - part way through the pint you notice the warming. A nightcap for sure and with the high level of sweetness I'm not sure if I can really rate it very high on the drinkability scale. I imagine some time in the cellar would smooth this one out a bit.

4.42/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled at Max's from a wooden, gravity fed keg sitting on the bar.

The beer pours a slightly hazy darkish brown color with OK head retention and lacing. The nose on this beer was just wild, with considerable clove, bannana, sweet fruit and even a slight sour element. This has to be one of the more complex smelling beers I've ever come across. Flavors for the most part replicate the nose, with considerable richness and sweetness. This beer is very intensely flavored, and the mouthfeel is very full and rich indeed. Drinkability is OK, but the alcohol is pretty noticeable, and reminds you to take it easy and don't overdo it.

Impressive. While similar to the draft version, I just think there is all that much more going on in the cask version, especially the aroma profile. This is a good beer, but was an absolute treat to try from the gravity fed keg.

4/10/10 edit. So lucky to be here at Max's for their last gravity fed keg of this nectar. This particular keg is very fresh, and the head retention is spectacular. It's a creamy, milky looking head, looking more akin to the foam on a latte. Lacing is likewise very nice... considering this was gravity fed, I was greatly impressed by this beer's appearance. Always an excellent beer, out of gravity feed keg it's nearly mindblowing.

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

500ml bottle poured into a Weizen glass.
ABV 12%

A - Poured a murky brown with bronze highlights. Big bubbly tan head. Some lacing.

S - Bananas, chocolate, caramel, spices, raisins, dried apricots, figs, yeast and alcohol. Overall the aroma is good and well balanced.

T - Similar to the aroma. Lots of caramel & candy sugar sweetness up front, followed with various fruity notes and spices but the alcohol does make it's presence felt. It reminded me of many Belgium strong ales I've had. As the beer warms the alcohol stands out even more to the point of being a bit too much.

M - Good carbonation, medium to heavy feel, sticky, and slight alcohol burn in the finish.

D - Decent. The alcohol isn't all that well hidden. After having this a second time, I like it a bit less than the first time. Not something I'll actively seek out again.

4.11/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle to weizen glass.

Pours a cloudy, translucent but deep golden brown, like dark cider. Thin collar of head. Cloudiness creates hazy, deep orange highlights.

Big smell of cooking or baking bananas, like the sugars were brought right out in front (banana bread). Really rich & strong, good stuff. Other sweet malty flavors (caramel, butterscotch), slight booze, baking spices.

Taste is sweet & boozy! Malty, caramelized sugars, a barley-wine thickness & sweetness, moving into some candied fruits & a strong, rum-like alcohol presence. Is that coconut?

Mouthfeel is prickly at first, a quality of big wheat beers I'm not crazy about. Alcohol a bit sharp, but smooths out with carbonation. Sticky in aftertaste at first but then gets diluted. Definitely some heat there.

Really enjoyable but whoa! Between the sugars & the ABV, I kind of wish I'd split even this 12 oz. bottle with someone.

4.89/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance - Poured from a 12 oz bottle. Deep brown with some red hues, but very cloudy. The head started out thick and creamy and faded to a low cap made of exceptionally small bubbles.

Smell - Wonderful! Sweet banana and unidentified spiciness with alcohol and wine-like notes.

Flavor - Incredible complexity in each sip. Banana ice cream drenched in caramel sauce, with some alcohol heat thrown in. There is some bitterness in the background, but just enough to balance and keep this from tasting too much like a pureed Bananas Foster dessert to be drinkable. Malt and dark fruit flavors come in at the back of the mouth just before you swallow.

Mouthfeel - Thick and mouth-coating, as appropriate for this level of intensity and sweetness. The high carbonation helps cut the sweetness with a little prickly acidity, while the creaminess of the nitrogen-like bubbles complements the banana ice cream impression. Some alcohol burn, but it's hard to believe it is12% ABV.

Drinkability - Very inviting and rewarding when you sip slowly to enjoy the complexities. A testament to what can be accomplished through the brewer's art.

3.43/5  rDev -18.5%

I am reminded of those warm summer evenings, standing in the Delta Farm barn, idly running my hands deep into the bins of soft white wheat. Not the hard red, but that fine pasta flour white. Like a dream, I can see myself grab a handful of the grain, still full of field pea and vetch seeds, and push it towards my mouth. It enters me, I bite on the hard kernels and get...dried banana chips?

The nose consists of bananas, wheat, alcohol, and a bit of the larger order, spicy alcohols. Maybe cloves, I can't tell. The mouth, similar. Different, not bad, not great, just different. My first eisbock, not my last.

Victory!

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottle # 2009/03736

Forms a dense and persistent khaki colored head. Body is a very dark and dense brown color. Leaves some very nice filmy lacing.

Aroma includes the grassy but clean hop profile of a standard bock and the estery fruitiness of a weizen bock, slightly amplified by of course. Notes of dates, apricots, and raisins along with a strong German yeast character and a hint of chocolate.

Fruity notes are amped up even more so on the flavor profile, enough so that I'm having a hard time reconnecting with the hops I picked up on the nose. Bananas join the other fruits from the aroma, and the yeast is much more clear here. Not bad but I can't say it tastes as good as it smells. There's a brandy-like character that's a little more focused than I'd like but this is 12% after all.

Drinkability takes a small hit because of the obvious booze flavor but not horrible for such a strong beer. This beer is fuller than medium bodied and is nicely carbonated with only a faint alcohol burn.

Overall an enjoyable beer and one I'd recommend to those who for some reason think wheat beer is 'girly'.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a Pint Glass

A: Cloudy brown with a stubborn thin head. Minimal lacing.

S: Good lord. Who needs smelling salts with this bad boy around. Knocks you in the face with alcohol, spice, wheat, and more alcohol.

T: Did I mention alcohol? Imagine eating a piece of straw dipped in Everclear. Spiced. Except it actually tastes pretty doggone good. Decent spices on the tongue. Aftertaste is pure alcohol.

M: Medium-heavy carbonation enhances the mouthfeel. Can't imagine drinking this with any less carbonation.

D: Hahahaha! Not a session beer. More of a sipper like bourbon or whiskey. Hate to knock it for this, though, as it isn't meant to be pounded. It's a really good sipping beer.

This stuff is good when used as jet fuel, but excellent when used as beer. I'm only 1/4 of the way done with my glass, and I am already feeling it. I don't see myself picking this up regularly, but as a one off when I'm in the mood it is right on target.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured into chalice glass; a thick head dissapears almost instantly, leaving just a bit around the edges. Nice appearance...dark brown colour that is quite cloudy, due to the wheat. I've got a bit of sediment floating around in my glass.

Very strong smell... mostly of spices and alcohol.

The first sip of this ale was a bit overwhelming for me, with alcohol immediately present and not very well hidden. Fruit and malt tastes are also there.

Mouthfeel is strange. Faily light for such a dark looking ale and a bit fizzy.

Drinkability is pretty high for me, considering the alcohol %, but should really only be sipped. Any attempt to chug this beer could result in a trip to the hospital.

I don't know what to say. This beer is intense, making it difficult for me to fully embrace it... yet it's rough character and unique taste are well matched to the 12% alcohol content. I beleive I would try this beer again, perhaps in a different glass.

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

I've had this beer numerous times over the past three years.

On the nose the eisbock reminded me a little of trois pistoles, and some of the other high alcohol Belgian Strong Dark Ales, with a deep ripe fruitiness, deep spiciness and alcohol warmth wafting upwards. The aroma is simply bursting with flavour as soon as the cap is removed, although the alcohol is certainly a detracting factor in this case. The body is deep burgundy, and it sits under a frothy off-white head, whose retention seems to depend merely on the type of glass used - excellent in a Duvel tulip and non-existent in a weizen glass. Again, good lace in the tulip, and poor in the weizen glass (hint: use a tulip!).

The flavour is very intense and fruity (plum, damson, currant), with a sweet spiciness and a huge warming finish. Peppery alcohol strong arms its way past everything else and hits pretty early. It only takes a few sips to tell this is a big beer. There's a lot of good stuff going on, but the booziness is overpowering everything, and ultimately drags the beer down. Thick, almost syrupy, mouth feel, but with an aggressive carbonation that alleviates the weight and explodes flavour on the taste buds.

A nicely souped-up version of the regular Aventinus, but I really don't think its as well-rounded as the regular Weisse or Aventinus. Its a lot more intense in flavour, but becomes boozy to quickly and seems too brash and rough in comparison to its lighter brethren, and more refined eisbocks like Kulmbacher's.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

The Eisbock is probably my favorite beer, along with the Westy 12 (although they are different in many ways). I love it's clove and fruity aroma, and the banana and spice flavor it leaves on the palate. The 'boziness' is present, but totally contained within the effervescent and malty flavor.

I first experienced this beer at the Schneider Haus in Munich in '06, and then bought 2 cases of it at the Specs Warehouse in Houston, TX upon my return. Finding and experiencing the delectability of the Eisbock remains one of the highlights of my beer-drinking life! (I'm a little curious as to why it wasn't ranked in the top 100, though..)

4.42/5  rDev +5%

poured a deep reddish mahogany from the cask into a 12oz tulip. Smells of spicy banana and some alcohol. Taste is very similar to the bottled version with the alcohol being a little more apparent which could just be a temperature issue. Lots of banana and spice. For 12% this is very smooth and drinkable. The abv is noticeable, but not unpleasant. I feel very lucky to have this on cask. top notch wheat beer from schneider as usual.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

12 oz bottle served in a weizen glass at Pazzo's Lexington (review from notes)

A: Deep ruby-mahogany body with a huge, cream-colored whipped head; serious head retention - it stuck around for the entire glass

S: Bananas, cloves, toasted grains and a huge rush of boozy alcohol

T: Ripe bananas are sweet up front; cinnamon and cloves add a nice spicy touch; toasted wheat notes are followed by a strong alcohol punch - peppery and with a slight sting; quite a rich beer that packs a wallop both in flavor an alcohol content

M: Slightly crisp on the front end but with a bit of a fluffy/powdery mouthfeel reminiscent of a Belgian tripel

D: Alcohol is huge in this one and dominates throughout. The only reason why I docked the overall score of the beer is simply because of how "hot" this eisbock was. It probably wasn't helped by the fact that drinking this one slowly also allowed the glass to warm more, bringing more of the alcohol flavor to the forefront. For me, the fantastic flavors that I typically associate with weizenbocks (warm banana bread, cinnamon, clove spiciness) just get overpowered by the alcohol to the point where it seems like more of a chore to try to finish my pint.

Will give this one another go-around at a later point in time to see how my palate has changed and if the alcohol will still try to punch it into submission.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

Grabbed this one cause I've loved the Aventinus weizenbock every time I've had it. This was, as advertised, just a bigger, stronger version of that. Deep maroon-amber color with a small head and a touch of lacing. Huge syrupy brew - lots of fruit, molasses, caramel, and maybe a whiff of hops. Overall, it was good, but maybe in the liqueur department more than the beer department. I'd definitely have it again, but it was just a little too much, so I'll probably stick to the normal weizenbock when I'm buying.

3.44/5  rDev -18.3%

I found a bottle of this yesterday at a local beer distributor. The bottle is from 2007, and has a touch of dust on it, but was way in the back of the shelf where it was out of sunlight and was pretty inexpensive, so I snagged it. Excited to try this, as I've experimented a bit with Eisbock homebrews, but have never tried a professionally crafted one.

When poured into my Brooklyn Local 1 glass, which is kind of a hybrid Pilsner/Tulip glass, it yields a very dark mahogany color with ruby highlights around the edges. Cloudy in the center that clears on the sides. Tons of foam fluffs up, as expected from a brew with wheat, but dissipates quicker than I've ever seen a head dissipate. Very low carbonation after the initial pour.

WOW! I could smell this thing from a mile away and it smells AMAZING. The scent of Munich malt (which I love in any beer) is focused and sharp in a way I've never experienced before. This is also loaded with dark fruit character reminiscent of plums, raisins, etc., with a touch of tart fruitiness at the end. Needless to say, the alcohol scent is also massive, but very comforting and inviting, not offensive.

SWEET JESUS! This beer literally (not literally, figurative, but whatever) just punched me in the face with flavor. It tastes exactly how it smells (no I don't have synesthesia, you know what I mean). First impression is that it tastes more like a mixed drink than a beer, with really strong sugary sweetness and alcohol. Forefront of the sip really hits you hard with Munich malt, which goes into massive dark fruit flavors, followed by an abrupt tartness, then finishes with a big alcohol flavor.

However, unlike the aroma, the alcohol flavor here is pretty overpowering and unpleasant. It has a delayed effect on the palate where it doesn't interfere with the robust flavors of the beer, but kicks you in the nads a second or so afterwards to spoil the overall effect. I didn't mind it so much at first (despite the nad-kicking comparison), but as the drink warmed and I got deeper in, the alcohol became more intense with an aftertaste like cheap whiskey. Really surprising considering this beer has had two years to mellow. I've had beers this big before (Scaldis, Mephistopheles, many DFH brews, etc.) and the alcohol didn't bother me, but in this beer it seems to conflict with the other flavors instead of melding together into one experience.

The mouthfeel is very syrupy in a pleasing way, but the appetence assault and assertive alcohol (too much alliteration?) make this a sipper. I didn't want more than a few ounces of it.

In terms of pairings, I read that it works well with fruit-based desserts. Lucky for me, plenty of dessert left-overs were laying around from X-mas. Went well with most of them, but paired VERY well with mince pie. They just seemed like they were made for each other.

A bit disappointing overall, considering how excited I was to try this. Maybe the quantity is just too much for a beer this big? Next time around, I'll grab a fresh bottle, pour a few ounces into a snifter and see what happens. Though, big props to the brewery for throwing up something so unique and intense. They're certainly breaking the mold on this one.

On a side note, I didn't finish the last few ounces of the bottle. Not because it was a "drain-pour", as some say, because it certainly wasn't, but because the sediment kicked up into the glass. Normally this wouldn't bother me, particularly for a Weizenbock, but the sediment wasn't the cloudy haze you normally see, it was very solid and chunky (probably due to the age), which was really unappetizing. Not a fault of the brewer, so I didn't factor it into the scoring, but something to consider if you see an older bottle of this Eisbock.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. The beer is a dark brown with lots of red tint and a fluffy tan colored foam.

S: This is my first eisbock, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the nose. A great fruity aroma, a mild funk, and a fair bit of spice--mostly clove. There is a lot of banana, presumably from the yeast.

T: What an interesting mix of flavors. A lot of clove and nutmeg, a fair amount of banana, raisin, and plum. The funkiness that was present in the nose is not on the palate. There is also a touch of alcohol, but not surprising at 12% ABV.

M: A great full body on this beer. The carbonation is surprisingly high, but I think this is a very good thing.

D: Despite the relatively high alcohol content, the beer is very drinkable. A great mix of flavors and a very enticing aroma. I would gladly drink this one again and seek out some more eisbocks.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Pours a very dark opaque brown, with a lot of thick foamy light tan head. Retains very well, leaving nice lacing.

S: Full with sweetness, spices, and yeast, with hints of dark fruit and brown sugar.

T: Much of what you'd except from the aroma, sweet with strong yeast and spice components. Finishes nicely with some bitterness, slightly dry, with noticeable alcohol warmth. No harshness from the alcohol.

M: Medium smooth carbonation, full bodied, and creamy.

D: Drinks reasonably easily, given how full, heavy, and high ABV it is.

Very nice, definitely worth a try.

4.59/5  rDev +9%

I have had many an Aventinus in my day, but never an Aventinus Eisbock. I am not sure why I have overlooked it thusfar, but the beer is delicious, and I will certainly put it in my rotation.

A – A silky pour of dark mahogany, no foam.

S – Cinnamon raisin toast, funky sweetness, soft sherry mustiness dominate the olfactory.

T – Delicious. With the taste of a rich steak w/ burgundy mushrooms. Slightly salty or savory or rich. Malt is subdued. The whole taste is so cohesive that it is hard to separate the elements.

M – Viscous, velvety soft. I don’t like to use the term chewy for beverages, unless we are talking about a poorly made smoothie. So I will refrain from glossing it with the aforementioned attribute.

D – Very strong, so not a daily drinker, but it is still a delicious desert wine, errr… Eisbock.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Aventinus Weizen Eisbock is a dirty dark brown with a one finger head that fades to a collar. The aroma is banana. The taste is candy cane sweet, dark fruit, bananas and alcohol. Even though I watched a great chunk of yeast plop out of the bottle and settle to the bottom of the snifter, the taste was not all that yeasty, even at the end. The feel is medium bodied, oily and sufficiently carbonated. Drinkability is good, I could have another.

I'd never had a weizen eisbock before, and only one weizenbock, so I didn't quite know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised though at the taste of this beer. It has dessert wine characteristics to it's flavor. While I don't believe I will become a huge fan of Aventinus Eisbock (just too many other options out there), I did enjoy it greatly.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Bought a bottle to try out on Christmas Eve after all the shopping had commenced. On the back label, it says I had bottle# 2009/02661.

A: Pours a dark ruby amber color. Nice head.

S: Very complex with notes of berries, banana, clove, spices, nuts.

T: Starts with syrup, then caramel, with bits of clove & pepper.

M: Love the way the spices give the tongue a tingle. This is an excellent winter beer!

D: I wish this beer was more readily available. I could drink the Aventinus line for a very, very long time.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Counting down till Christmas with some holiday warmers. Loved their Aventinus hefe, and I've never had an eisbock before. Let's have one, why not?

Pours a lovely chocolate brown, like a dark hot cocoa. A bit of creamy head, turns into a thick ring. Not much lacing, but still attractive.

The first smell I pick up is a buttery nut flavour, which is followed by malts, dark fruits, banana. Rich and inviting.

Didn't realize that this brew was so high in ABV, but it masks it well. I can certainly tell this is a strong brew, but it gives me that lovely warming feeling in my stomach, which does the trick given the -15 temperature outside. Similar flavours as in the nose, less nuttiness, more raisin, banana and cloves. Very hearty, tasty.

Mouthfeel is chewy and rich, alcohol and carbonation burn just a bit, but still pretty good.

Going back to the LCBO to get a few more for cellaring. An excellent winter brew, glad I picked it up. Just loved drinking this beer. First rate, and my first A+ brew on BA!

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

500ml bottle pours a dark black brown with a generous amount of foam lacing the duvel glass. Smell is of sweet dark fruits. The taste is of dark fruits with this slight tingle to it. The abv% is well hidden considering the 12%. Never had a beer of this style, and its quite interesting. Don't think you would figure out it was 12% without knowing. Interesting brew.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottled in 2008 (bottle #02180). Poured from a 330mL bottle into my Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock glass.

Russet and chocolate body with mahogany and rust highlights. Buff densely formed head which recedes to a finger with impressive retention. Soft whipped egg lacing and thin legs. Lots of yeast, sinking like a fleet of ships to the bottom of the glass.

Very rich and heavy malt aromatics, with rye, gingerbread, fruitcake, and coffee cake, and red table grapes as well. Alcohol is very well integrated, though by no means shy.

Sweet, malty, and strong flavors on the palate. Some hop spice and bitterness to offset the lush doughy malt. Sweet and bready, then a touch dry - the finish has remnants of cherry and pepper as the alcohol slowly fades.

Rich, chewy, though not overly heavy - very warming with low but active carbonation.

Like Aventinus' Weizenbock, it never disappoints, and has few peers...a superior "winter warmer" which perfectly punctuates the Solstice.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH