Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Style: Eisbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Reviews: 1,164 | Ratings: 2,610
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - Deep, dark and hazy. Carbonation provides a medium head with decent retention all they way towards the end of the pint.

Smell - unexpectedly mild. I thought this high octane eisbock would reek of booze but it is rather quite pleasant. Sweet perfumy alcohol and roasty, spicy and yeasty.

Taste - very nice and slightly complex. Similar to what you smell. Sweet and tons malty. A sweet start contains chocolate and dried fruit notes. The banana and clove are less than what I thought they would be for a wheat-based beer. The middle is only slightly coarse from the high alcohol. The finish is smooth citrus with nice lingering bubblegum complexity. Fits the style very well and has a little more complexity than I originally anticipated. I love this beer. Should it be called an eisweizen instead?

Mouthfeel - heavy body like a light syrup. Goes down smooth with nice carbonation.

Drinkability - Very easy drinking still at the end of my pint for a 12%... Fuck... suddenly I realize I'm bombed... What the hell happened?...

1 YEAR AGED:
The head retention is short but the aroma is great - a bit boozy, sweet malt, yeasty, dark fruits, chocolate, a bit more banana bread and clove maybe... The finish has less citrus I think. Very smooth

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours the deepest, darkest ambery purple, with an inch and a half of fizzy head that dissipates fairly quickly.
Booze, cloves, and bananas on the nose. Did I mention the booze?
Big booze in the front, followed by clove-y, banana-y, yeasty, goodness, followed by more booze. The alcohol is definitely loud at this party, but compliments the big sweetness.
Great carbonation, thick.
This, and regular Aventinus hold a special place in my heart for being some of the first craft beer I've ever drank and they still hold up after all my experiences.

4.14/5  rDev -1.7%

What a better way to bring in the New Year, then with an Eisbock! And boy does it bring in the new year~!
Poured out with a decent head, thick and foamy which slowly dropped into a nice lacing around a dark brown colour. This is gonna hit ya!

Smell is of sweet caramel, and caramelised sauce, like Grand Marnier in cooking. Lots of orange. Amazingly strong. No hint of alcohol at all! Just sweet!

The alcohol hits in the taste, with some dryness through-out the palate. Sweet malt, candy sugar, hints of plum and sultanas. Burnt Raisin in the back of the palate.

The body is moderate, not too heavy which is surprising given the maltiness. The alcohol tingles everything. You can definently feel the alcohol, but boy does it go down well. Compared to the first time I had this, I could possibly take more then just one of them.

3.43/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Aroma: Very yeasty. Fruity, banana. Banana bread. Bready. Spicy, cloves. Bubblegum. Dark fruits.

Looks: Very dark brown with ruby red highlights. Small-off white head that pulls a disappearing act like you wouldn't believe (poor head retention). No lace.

Taste: Brown sugar, cloves & spicy, yeasty flavours. It reminds me of guava ( a tropical fruit) juice. Banana. Alcohol bites your tongue.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied. Average carbonation. Alcohol bites your tongue.

Overall, I like it, but I prefer the wiezenbock much more.

4.34/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock poured into a flute glass from a 11.2 oz. brown glass bottle.

Beer poured deep, cloudless mahogany color with a quick, fizzy head that didn't retain very well and left no lacing along the sides of the glass. The nose was quite good: dark, complex malts with strong tones of dark fruits and a lingering, sweet spiciness. The scents coming from This one are quite good. The mouthfeel was a thick, syrupy maltiness that slid about and around the tongue and left lingering alcohol taste on the pallette. The beer opens up and allows you quick glimpses into its narrow and interesting complexities: brown sugar and raisons along with other flavors poke up at you. Although the abv is aparent at the finish, this beer remains still deliciously drinkable although still hindered by it. I wouldn't reach for more than a few of these in a row on a single sitting, but I would drink it regularly if more available to me.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

Looking forward to this for sometime now. I remember trying this a year or two ago and didnt enjoy it, but this was prior to me learning more about beer and learning to enjoy real beer. Aventinus is without a doubt, my favorite beer, thus trying this is a treat.

Poured a beautifully thick dark hazy brown with a slight red touch. Wonderfull head rises up the glass.
Smell: Dates, spice, slight astringent alcohol.
Taste: SPICE, figs, Overripe banada. So wonderfull. More dense than the regular aventinus and more lingering spice. Unbelievable.

What a great beer, superb. I find it hard to believe ints 12% as i can not really taste that high of an alcohol content.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a very dark, hazy brown with a much more prominent head than was expeted considering its ABV. The head looks really creamy, slightly beige and lasts for a few minuts before diminishing to a firm lid om the liquid.

Smells huuuge of bananas! Banana-candy and sweet rather heavy alcohol-aroma to it, reminds me of a banana-liqour I once tried. Although the bananas are very much in your face, there are lots of spicy and herbal notes, I get thyme and coriander the most, but also a hint of rosemary and a little cinnamon, really a unique nose!

Very heavy flavours here. An initial banana-sweetness coupled with some other fruits, a light hint of dried figs and green apples, a very broad fruitiness. All the while there are all these herbal notes treading along (cloves, thyme, rosemary and some white freshly ground black pepper) which makes for a very special drinking experience. It's not hard to relate to a normal weissbier, but here al the flavours are so much more pronoounced, and some minor hints that are really hard to find in normal-strength weissbiers are easier to get here, and they are enjoyable for sure. The beer finishes of with a sweet banana, a really clean banana flavour to be honest, really nice. The beer is really sweet throughout the whole tasting, and the alcohol is a little too much at times, not really balanced out, might be the eisbock-techniques doing, never tried one before.

Mouthfeel is thick and viscous, really syrupy and cloying, I usually dont have a problem with that if the beers massiveness can balance it out, but I dont get that here.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a dark, ruby red/brown with a quickly dissipating tan head that flows like a waterfall in my bud's pilsner. the smell is sweet prunes and lots of ruby port. liquorice, alcohol, and lots of plums overwhelm the nose with a sugary sweetness with faint backrounds with soft english malt. the taste starts with a coating grape tartness that engulfs the mouth in a syrup like manner. high alcohol warmth, banana, dark rum, and caramel spices. probably an after dinner sipper in my opinion because of the high ABV, heavy mouthfeel, and sugary maltiness, but still a great treat. thanks tippebrewcrew2.

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

Deep walnut brown with a small head. Heavy caramel in the aroma with some molasses and chcoclate covered cherries. The same flavors are echoed in the taste along with a little brown sugar and cloves. Well carbonated with a medium-full mouthfeel. Easy to drink for its strength. This is a really nice sipper to relax with.

4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Wow. This beer is ridiculously good. As soon as I opened this bottle my nose was hit with an aroma so fine that I had to continue savoring it for several moments before I poured it. As far as the pour, head, lacing, blah, blah, blah-- don't care. What came next was a taste that I can only describe as liquid ecstasy. There's just so much going on with the complex favors in this beer (and I won't pretend that I have a palate so refined that I can identify every one) yet it still goes down so damn smooth. The only negative for me was that the carbonation was slightly less than what I would have preferred, but that may have a lot to do with how smooth the beer felt-- So is it really a negative?
I've had a few beers in my day and this one has to rank in my top five.

4.76/5  rDev +13.1%

It's difficult to drink many of these if you're at a place where you have to order. "May I please have an Aventinus Weizen Eisbock" is something I can only say before I've even had one of said beer.

I absolutely love the smell of this beer. Weihenstephaner Vitus is what turned me on to the wheat bock styles, with their clovey, banana-y goodness and their sneaky high alcohol content. I first tried the regular aventinus and when I heard about an aventinus that was a more concentrated version I couldn't believe it.

I drink this beer out of a wine glass to remind me not to throw it down the hatch like I would with some oher beers (after the intial tasting of course). I don't think any of the flavors in this beer are subtle, but each sip is worth a savor.

I can drink this stuff all night... if I pace myself right

a - Dark brown, modest head that diminished rather due, no doubt, to the alcohol content.

s - Dark dried fruit aroma, chocolatey aroma of well toasted barley. I could smell this all day if the glass didn't keep finding it's way to my mouth.

t - Taste of alcohol is very prominent. The fruit and barley aromas become more prominent as the beer warms.

m - Carbonic, alcoholic with a pleasant viscosity. To me, a great balance

d - I could drink it til I drop. At 12% abv that might not take long. I intended for it to last longer than it did. Great beer for those "special" occasions --- like Wednesdays or Thursdays. Personally, I'm saving it for days ending in "y"

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 5D). Bottle 33 cl - Batch 2927260214. AROMA: sweet malty aromas with some esters reminiscent of dried grapes and prunes. strong vinous alcohol aroma present with a port like character and some bready-like notes. no hop aromas. APPEARANCE: deep brown color and hazy with some material in suspension. average deep ivory head with good retention. viscosity derived from alcohol with pronunced legs. TASTE: sweet malty character with some caramel and vinous notes, balanced by a strong alcohol presence that is not harsh or solventy. Low bitterness just needed to balance the residual malt sweetness. low esters giving a somewhat clean lager profile. finishes sweet. PALATE: full and velvety body, reminding a liquor. low carbonation. very present alcohol warmth. OVERALL: an extremely delicious lager with a great balance between malt and alcohol.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer pours a dark reddish brown with a big fizzy head that quickly disappears into nothing and leaves minimal lacing. The bottom of the glass has small chunks of yeast that would of been larger had i not swirled the the last few ounces before pouring. The smell has a medicinal aroma with ester and alcohol. Tastes of smooth and creamy malt flavors with clove, cinnamon and banana. The mouthfeel has a medium body with lots of carbination and a smooth mouthfeel. Drinkability is good although I could not see myself drinking more than one due to the high abv and price.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

Aventinus Weizen Eisbock

My number one favorite beer of all time is Aventinus' Wheat Dopplebock. I knew Schneider and Sons had a bevy of other brews in their stable, but they’ve been mostly hard to come by. So I was quite surprised to come upon single bottles of this one at my local soda pop and beer shop.

Normally I don’t read existing reviews before trying a new beer, but I was so perplexed by this one that I had to check suggested glassware and food parings before I indulged. How I missed the 12% ABV is beyond me – perhaps it was my excitement in finding another Aventinus variety that I didn’t have to book an overseas flight to get. Who knows? But the prospect of having something this strong – and reading that the high alcohol content was thinly veiled – intimidated me somewhat. Thankfully I’d be enjoying this one at home!

As others have noted, the brew pours like flat cola or a deeply colored tea. The two finger high tan colored head quickly dissipated as I poured the contents of a 12-oz bottle into an oversized wine glass (as recommended by the Bros Alstrom).

I was afraid that this would be a cloying, barley wine styled ale, but as I sip – and sipping here is key - I find that I’m pleasantly surprised.

This is not a composition for a big beer neophyte. As it is, the Dopplebock takes some working up to. However, this beer would be delicious as an apertif, or even a nice after dinner beer. I’m enjoying mine after a spicy, Cajun-styled pasta dish.

One thing you must do before serving this beer is to swirl before you pour. As I was enjoying my glass, I noted that there were huge particles – black when viewed looking down through the beer, and disturbingly cream colored when looking through the glass – floating around. Not very appetizing! I gave it a good swirl in the glass and you could hear the effervescence of the active yeasts bubbling like champagne.

Believe me – you’ll miss all that this beer has to offer if you fail to swirl – preferably in the bottle before your pour (silly me!). Thankfully I have a second bottle for a chance to get this right - on another night, of course.

Plums, dates…even a hint of clove or nutmeg, and caramel-chocolate undertones give this beer rich character. It could be the kissing cousin of a barley wine, but is nowhere near as cloying, and is thankfully absent the heavy syrupiness of holiday fruit loaves.

A deep sniff reveals the heavy alcohol content, yet the taste is smooth. I’m glad I’m done slicing and cooking, however, as I truly believe that I’d be greatly impaired to the point of risking injury by this one.

Truly a smooth, blankety mouthfeel, without feeling like you have sweaters on your teeth. Fizzy only when swirled, and settles to a near-creaminess. Drinkable? No. Worthy to be sipped, savored and enjoyed? Absolutely!

4.39/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had no idea what to expect from this one, and had no clue that I was going to be drinking something 12% ABV. Pours a dark red like black cherry. Fizzy white head quickly disappears. Aroma is of tart fruit, almost like a soured belgian ale. The flavor is of Black cherry, banana and spice with a dose of yeast and a warm alcohol, along with slight chocolate in the background . Similarities to hefeweizens are there but with more of a strong belgian or barleywine character. Incredibly smooth and rich, this is very easy to drink and a highly recommended beer.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

11.2 oz bottle poured into goblet.

A: Very nice looking beer - looks almost like coca-cola when held up to the light. Dark brown with ruby highlights, and a very thin head that recedes to the perimeter of the glass.

S: Black cherry, roasted malts, sucrose and alcohol. There is also some lite spice and vanilla. Smells like a barleywine...

T: ...which makes sense since it tastes much like a barleywine. Very sweet but not cloyingly, there is barely any hop profile to this beer at all. Taste is an extension of the smell, with black cherry being the dominant flavor.

M: Highly carbonated, and for good reason; any less carbonation and this would be like drinking syrup.

D: Although the genesis of this beer is labeled as "mistake," that's hard to believe considering how well put together this beer is. Everything works in harmony, making this a joy to drink.

Seek out and buy a case.

3.45/5  rDev -18.1%

Serving Type: 12 oz bottle 2007 / 01176

Appearance: Pours a cloudy dark brown w/ a luscious 1 finger white head. Minimal lacing

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum, caramel and spice. As the beer warms up the alcohol becomes more pronounced.

Taste: Almost light at first(banana's)followed by dark fruit, caramel and a touch of spicy warmness. Clove and cinnamon come through. Very tasty

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is a bit lacking. It really coats the inside of your mouth w/ a....cough syrup like feel to it.

Drinkability: Well at being 12% alcohol it would be hard to have more than 1 or 2 of these during a single night....

4.17/5  rDev -1%

This is a wicked brew, chock full of flavors. It pours a dark muddy brown with yeast floaties and a tall stiff head that thins out gradually. The beer smells awesome, rich roasted and caramel notes, deep nuts and candied fruits, sugary rich malt and nutty yeast aromas. The flavors are thick and layered baked apples and cinniman, clove, nuts, plums and, oh yeah alcohl on the back end. This is a beer that should be savored slowly to appreciate the layers of complex flavors. The mouthfeel was chewey and rich with well balanced carbonation. A tsaty beeer indeed

4.42/5  rDev +5%

This was the most tempting option available at my local bar (which always has an excellent selection of beers), so I went with it. Glad I did.

Appearance - Rich, tons of head, and quite inviting.

Smell - Somewhat floral, at least for the style. Other than that, pretty it pretty much had an aroma of what it tasted like.

Taste - Quite malty, and I'd imagine it would go well with a cigar. Hints of vanilla, but a stronger presence of toffee, dates, and caramel. The alcohol is barely noticeable behind all the flavor.

Mouthfeel - Absolutely exquisite. Very silky and velvety. I have never had a beer quite so luscious. Exceptional.

Drinkability - Surprisingly high, considering how complex and heavy it is.

Overall, this beer was extremely enjoyable. I would not hesitate to get it again, and in fact, I'll probably try to get it often.

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

Presentation: 12 oz. numbered bottle 13548 edition 2002.

Appearance: Minimal head dissapates quickly. Carbonation is finer than the orginal Aventinus.

Aroma: The smells alone indicate the presents of a beer deity. Full and perfumey in the nose with raisins and plums dominating the sweet smells.

Taste: Sweet and malty with several fruit flavors dominating the palate: raisins, plums, pomegranit. Cinnamon and other spices (clove). Full and bready in the mouthfeel, chewy and thick.

Overall: I have climbed the peak of Mt. Olympus. The fat lady has sung--yadda, yadda, yadda.

Note: I rate high ABV beers that hide their alcohol content well, with a high drinkability, despite the fact I could not drink several in one evening.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

A- 11.2 ounce bottle # 2010 017026. Pours a deep mahogony topped with a one and a half finger light tan head that disappated quickly, leaving only a trace of lacing.

S- Sweet fruit, berries, malt, and clove.

T- More or less follows the nose, perhaps adding a touch of caramel. Definite clove taste on finish.

M- Somewhat full and quite creamy. Has a unique thickness feel on the tongue. Slightly warm finish on the swallow.

O- Absolutely delicious. Quite potent. Definitely a "keeper". Will purchase again and again.

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

- very fast dissipating head with a black hue to the beer, not the classic German look
-best smelling lager style beer i have every put to my nose, the alot of dark fruit notes with some German yeast in the mix, quite a bit to sit and pick through
-Hands down the best lager style beer i have had, great dark fruit flavors like a quad but with the crispness of a lager, underlying wheat body very smooth
-for a beer that has so many notes it may feel overpowering but it is one of the smoother beers i have had, the flavor goes in and it all ties together
-One of the best beers i have had i will remember this for time to come and drink many more

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

A- pours a rich dark brown/almost black in color, a thin white head that reduced very quickly but retained decently

S- strong aromas of heavy malt sweetness as well as that bannana-hefe wheat smell, with notes of rasins and chocolate

T- rich flavorfu malt taste, alnong with the bannana/raisin flavor decribed in the smell

M- very thick, almost syrupy, very low carbonation, sticky mouthfeel

D- not very drinkable in large doses, something to definitely drink occasionally, takes a while to get through a pint of the stuff

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

A very dark burnt amber color with a thick fizzy off white head. A fair amount of sediment stuck at the bottom of the bottle, which is pretty tough to pull up and adds a light brown haze cloud to the glass. Smells very malty and grassy with a fruity alcohol aroma. Taste is great. Malty like a wheat beer and malty like a bock. A sharp oily sting covers my pallet. Cheers.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH