1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

#767

Ratings: 4,621 |  Reviews: 2,184
Reviews by JSouth:

Before you try Aventinus, you must know that there are BIG differences between fresh Aventinus and vintage bottles from the brewery. I'm reviewing both here, but my ratings pertain to vintage Aventinus. In my experience, a 4- to 5-year-old bottle is among the top 2 or 3 beers available today, while a fresh bottle is in the top 10. As such, a 5-year-old bottle gets a perfect 5.0, while a fresh bottle is about a 4.7 or a 4.8.

AFTER 5 years, Aventinus starts to break down. A 6-year-old bottle might rate a 4.0 or worse, so bear that in mind and aim for 4 or 5 years of age.

Appearance -- (Recent vintage) After a solid "weissbier pour" from a 500-mL bottle into my Aventinus glass (which is quite distinctive), I examine the beer from head to foot. This stuff serves up a whopping four-plus fingers of creamy, firm, off-white head, which lingers for over two minutes before settling into a quarter-inch cap for the remainder of my drink. Solid lacing leaves evidence of each sip. The body of the beer -- and this may be partly due to the glass -- fades from a deep, rich blackish-purplish-brown at the top to a deep amber at the bottom. Even from a "fresh" bottle, there are visible chunks of sediment floating in the beer.

(Five-year-old vintage) Similar pour, same glass. Two to three fingers of off-white head, which recede within about a minute and leave only a filmy cap. Lacing is minimal. Vintage Aventinus is marginally more brown than the fresh stuff, but man, it still looks great in the glass. Of considerable note, the yeast becomes much less chunky with age, blending with the body of the beer much as the flavors coalesce over time.

Smell -- (Recent vintage) Well, this is a wheat beer, but it smells like something altogether unique. Then again, if you don't like wheat beers, you may not like this one, either. I smell dried fruits (e.g., raisins, dates), honey, and the faintest metallic twinge. Oddly, this is somehow compelling, rather than off-putting.

(Five-year-old vintage) With age, the aroma sweetens and warms, and the metallic note disappears. Dried-fruit odors still dominate, but a wholesome wheatiness ties it all together. Scents of toffee and burnt caramel are also apparent...there's a lot going on here, but it all makes sense after a few whiffs. Stunning.

Taste -- (Recent vintage) Truly hard to describe. This is the "biggest" wheat beer out there, in my experience -- with the noted exception of Aventinus Eisbock. Sure, you'll detect some of that signature weissbier breadiness, but this beer is about more than that. I pick up brown sugar, dates, raisins, burnt caramel, and a heavy dose of malt. There's also a toasted-grain quality to this beer that I've never tasted elsewhere. Again, totally unique.

(Five-year-old vintage) Still huge, and still completely unique. The appearance/smell/taste/mouthfeel experience is the most integrated beer-drinking experience you're likely to find. The flavors listed above are the main attraction, but with age, they merge to form a strikingly unusual whole. Sweet, savory, fruity, malty, and earthy all at once. A masterpiece.

Mouthfeel -- (Recent vintage) As an avid wheat beer drinker, I find this one to be heavier and thicker in the mouth than most. The sediment in this one really is chunkier than that of a standard hefeweizen, and you'll feel it going down. Honestly, this is a mild drawback for me; I'd prefer the yeast to distribute itself more evenly throughout the glass. The sediment in a glass of fresh Aventinus is akin to what you might find in a particularly "dirty" Belgian abbey ale.

(Five-year-old vintage) The formerly chunky sediment is now an integral component of the beer's body. This elevates the mouthfeel to something uniquely sublime...think "thick chocolate milk," but with malty, yeasty, mildly carbonated alcohol. Coats the throat, to great effect.

Drinkability -- (Recent vintage) This is where the vintage stuff really shines, by comparison. A fresh bottle of Aventinus is some appreciably potent stuff, especially for a wheat beer. Between the the big taste, the big mouthfeel, the chunky sediment, and the relatively high ABV (by wheat beer standards), one bottle of this is probably enough for one sitting. But it does leave you wanting more -- this is a beer you'll think about for days after you drink it, identifying subtleties you couldn't quite place while drinking it.

(Five-year-old vintage) Whatever alcohol heat you feel in a fresh bottle has faded into the background with a few years of aging. I still don't think I could put away more than a half-liter of this in one sitting, simply because it's so rich. Drinking more than one bottle would be like eating half a cheesecake -- albeit a delicious, potentially life-altering cheesecake.

Aventinus is a truly unique beer, and required drinking for any fan of wheat beers. In fact, it's strongly recommended for ANY beer drinker.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

The beer is a rich dark tan color. It's so good I decided to write a review which is rare for me. It pours a delightful head, and it just looks plain delectable.

The smell is phenomenal: I get banana, clove, peppermint, a touch of booze culminating in a fresh lemongrass aroma. It smells like a hefeweizen with some extra alcohol and earthy flavors. In the taste I get candy sugar, wheat, honey, clove, banana, and a little booze. It tastes like that clove gum with some alcohol added.

This is a great beer. I have to drink these occasionally to remind myself that there is more to beers than hops and coffee stouts. It is almost sad to realize that no American brewery could replicate this taste. I rate this among some of the best beers created. Its not barrel-aged or hop forward, but it's delicious and subtle, which I have yet to find in American beer.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

Good brew! Smooth, low IBU, dark fruits, wheat, banana, spices. This was different than the Ayinger weizenbock that I've had. Beeradvocate lists this as a "weizenbock" but they take different approaches to the style. Excuse my memory, but the Ayinger version seemed more what I would imagine a weizenbock to taste like. This reminded me much more of a dopplebock. While I will certainly drink a dopplebock, it isn't my favorite German style (although my second highest reviewed beer is a dopplebock... go figure). If I were to compare this to Ayinger's dopplebock: "Celebrator" I'd have to rate this one below that beer. Celebrator is at the top of the charts. This Schneider seems like a hybrid weizenbock and dopplebock together. I can respect that. It's tough for me because I'm not sure what I should review this as. A Weizenbock, a dopplebock, or just the pure enjoyment of the beer. The thing that this beer has going for it is that it seems like a dopplebock you can enjoy all year round. Celebrator is one of those beers you enjoy during the cold months. Its meant to be drank at a warmer temperature. This one seems like it would work even during warm days because its like it is asking to be drank at a cooler temperature. idk, just my take on this beer. Good stuff!

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Aventinus is a dunkle weizen bockbier or "dark wheat bock beer" by style. It is one of the most complex and amazing beers that you will ever taste, and beer geeks world wide sing its praises. IThis beer is brewed with up to 60% dark wheat malt, along with a very distinctive ale yeast strain that produces estery aromas and flavors of clove, banana, and apple. Being a bockbier, this beer has strong aromas and flavors of alcohol, and packs quite a punch at over 8% abv. It was a phenomenal beer to match with my breakfast of sausages and pretzels, and one of the most amazing beers to ever pass my lips. Aventinus pours to a beautiful, murky and opaque, deep caramel color, with a big, tall, rocky white head, and a vibrant carbonation. . The nose on this beer is very complex, and packed with character. Aromas of sweet malt, nutty malty, clove, and aromas of ripe banana flood the nose. This is paired with peppery hints of alcohol. The palate is smooth and round on the tongue, with big sweet and caramel malt flavors, some tart wheat malt flavor, and an underpinning of estery fruit. Aventinus finishes with more complex and delicious, malt and fruit flavors, then ends with a slightly warming, malty and clove spicy finish that lingers. A true master piece of the brewer’s art, this beer fresh vom fass was a truly special beer.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

This is not the first time I've dabbled in traditional German beers and will not be the last. Essentially, if you (random bar in east bum(sex) O(some state that will be offended the least) decided to put this on tap-- I would (hypothetically) order it every single time I walked through your roughshod threshold. This is beer crafted in its most perfect form -- anything we do now is merely a perversion of what was previously established.Wheat Dopplebock... American craft brewmanship has not been allowed to delve into this realm of brewing to any substancial degree because the American consumer craft beer palate has barely left high ABV citrus bomb IPAs which are, to my palate, brash and unilateral... and I mean if that's what you're going for then by all means do not drink this beer.

However, upon buying this beer voluntarily you already know how wonderful it is (probably -- unless you made an impulse buy, in which case you hit the jackpot) . On top of that, you already know that it has hundreds of years of lineage to rely on, so, you already know how good this elixir is.

That being said, this amazing beverage has a dark amber hue, and the clarity is akin to a looking glass in a hurricane. (I'm not sure where that came from). If you were to try to look through this beer you wouldn't be able to because it is dark amber and is hazy to point of obscurity.

When you smell the Aventius Tap 6, you are immediately reminded of your lack of cicerone credentials. However, as soon as you have recovered from that sensory onslaught of amazing dark fruit and sweet syrup. The nose is of a simple saison-like quality but definitely tart and funky.

That being said, tasting this beer is like tasting soda for the first time as a deprived Amish 12 year old. But really, the Look, I've already described and I wont do that again. The smell is of sweet Bavarian yeast.. The taste is sweet, (words like nectar come to mind) and very carbonated (yet perfectly balanced), when this beer journeys down your esophagus it rides on a river on infinitesimally small bubbles that were perfectly crafted through hundreds of years of practice. When it comes to the feel, try it for yourself, it is a wild ride for your taste buds and they will love every minute of it. Cheers! I bet Bavarian Kings drank this stuff.

4.72/5  rDev +9%

Time for some Tap 6, Schneider Weisse style! And this is the beer I promised to review over 4 years ago when I did my review of Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen, even though Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus is a Weizenbock, which would natürlich have to be compared to Weihenstephaner’s own Weizenbock: their Vitus. Anyway, let’s not dwell on how much of a beer-geek rookie I was back then, let us dwell on how beer-wise I have become. Oh, and let’s enjoy this tasty Weizenbock or “wheat billy goat” in the direct German translation [I kid you not. Ooo, that was an unexpected goat related pun right there!].

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Weizen glass.

A: A nice deep hazy Doppelbock caramel brown body with a khaki cappuccino froth 1 inch head that soon settles down to a centimetre. So far so great. 9/10.

S: Ironically the aroma for Tap 6 is more bananary than their Tap 7 (aka their Hefeweizen). Following the bold banana note are hints of caramel and dark fruits, but they’re really sitting back and letting the banana do its thing, and I applaud them for it, go banana go! 10/10.

T: DA-AMN! This is why I was comparing this brew to Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen - it’s all that I love about that brew and more, more everything! Bananas with caramel-sticky-date-molasses. It’s big, bold chewy and sugary with a dry finish that has a hint of cola - yes you heard me - cola as in the biggest ™ in the world. There is a minor distraction in a hint of metal lurking about in the aftertaste but otherwise this is Weizenbock that beats all other Weizenbocks. 9/10.

M: Mid to heavy body with some cloying from the sugar (to be expected with an 8.2% ABV heavyweight) and a soft but creamy carbonation. Suits this brew to a T. 9/10.

D: Oh how the mighty have risen with Schneider Weisse! After reviewing their Tap 7 and being a tad disappointed by my memory, which I believe had betrayed me, it turns out my memory of Tap 6 and subsequent now drinking has totally redeemed Schneider Weisse to me as the brutal heavy-hitting awesome Bavarian brewer they are, and a young impudent upstart against die älteste Brauerei der Welt, aka Weihenste... you-know-who-the-hell-I’m-talking-about! If you love puppies and don’t want them killed (by someone named ‘Cletus’ in my employ) drink this beer, YHBW. 10/10.

Food match: Knuspriger schweinebauch mit rotkraut, knödel und püriert apfel.

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16.9 oz. bottle poured into flute

L: murky brown, a hint of amber/red; decent little head in the tight flute glass, tan color, disappears quickly, keeps a thick collar, no sticking or lacing; clears up at the bottom over time but still opaque at top

S: sour darker fruits ... sour/sweet ... dried fruits, darker fruits ... plum, dates, figs; slight sourness is definite ... I'm assuming its a combination of the darker malts mixed with the wheat

T: fruity fig, dates ... darker dried fruits, some raisin bread ... sweet ... very sweet, in fact; candy ... very Belgian abbey-ale like, almost tastes like a dubbel or quad

F: fantastic solid carbonated feel, easy to drink for such a big brew

O: I love this style ... I don't know much about it, but this brew in particular is very sweet, strong in ABV but easy to drink with all the alcohol hidden, lots of darker fruit tastes; only the slight sourness in the nose tips off the wheat, otherwise it comes off like a really good Belgian dubbel ... fantastic beer

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a caramel brown with lofty tan head. Really complex fruity aromas ranging from fig and plum to banana bread. The taste include some of the fruit complexity but then finishes with a delicous malty caramel flavor as well as a hint of spicy clove. The 8% alcohol barely shows. Medium body but thick for a wheat beer. Overall a really amzingly complex and tasty beer.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Big yeast smell , looks like a glass of tea..

The taste has so much more to it than the smell lets on, some nice fruity flavors with a clean finish ..

Hard to describe this one but its a must try for any beer drinker ..

4.99/5  rDev +15.2%

The first time I experienced this beer was in a pizza parlor in Joplin Missouri. A waiter had brought a bottle to the table next to ours and I could smell the beer the minute the cap was popped. What kind of beer smells like bubble gum? I asked. Anyway I ordered one and when it came I poured it to a tall pils. The head supported a soda straw upright for, well, longer than I had the patience to wait for it to fall. First taste was mostly affected by nose, confusing and lots going on. As my mind wrapped around this beer, I realized that I had found my first personal A-list beer not driven by 'sentimental value'. Certainly there were favorite beers, but nothing like this.

L: Dark, opaque, rich with occasional deep brown reflections. Rich, taupe thick head like whipped cream.

S: Combined wheat and spice notes give bubble-gum first impression, then settle into expected banana and clove and malt. Cracked wheat and vanilla on closer inspection. Big nose - you can smell it from the table next to you

T: All malt and fruit, no hops. Big, strong, something for every part of the tongue except bitter. Wheat bread soaked in small beer, all the expectations of a true wheat ale, esters from higher temp ferment, slight straight alcohol just to remind you that it is there.

F: Rich, full heavy mouthfeel. Long lasting aftertaste same as actual taste, it just lingers. More bubbly than you would expect from something this rich and malty. Matches smell and taste perfectly - not over the top, but big and satisfying.

O: Easily my favorite production beer. I have found many beers near and dear to me since I discovered this one, but it is not hard to rate this #1 on my list of commercial brews. Everyone has a different palette and different expectation, but this beer matches mine perfectly, and even if it is not a perfect match for yours, I am certain you will find it worth the time and money to try it.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

Presentation: 1 pint plus .9 fl. oz. tapered bottle with a cool purple, gold and white label. "Germany's Original Wheat-Doppelbock, Ale." No freshness date seen.

Appearance: Comparable colour to a Double Bock though even deeper and thicker shades of brown from the cloudiness, thin off white lace that has a creamy look to it.

Smell: Ripe fruit is dominant with caramel undertones, almost rum like. Soft spicy clove with hints of caramelized plantains, alcoholic esters are noticeable.

Taste: Mildly crisp carbonation from a stiff pour into the glass, creamy and syrupy thick mouth feel within the full body. Snappy and tingling, parading a clean bite from some spicy clove and sweetish alcohol that leans toward a fruity rum character. Hop bitterness is minute as well as the flavour. Gentle hints of chocolate and chicory and to the complex flavour, finish cleans up a bit from the warming alcohol, nutty yeast and husky grain.

Notes: A massive wheat brew that is unsurpassed by any other of its kind. Unpasteurized, unfiltered, top fermented and original bottle fermentation. The yeast in this brew, make the brew. After pouring, there was enough yeast to begin propagation. This is by far one of the best bock beers tasted to date.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours clear, dark copper (SRM 30) with dark red garnet highlights. The think almond head is creamy, but dissipates quickly to a veil in an Aventinus weizen glass.

The aroma is sweet, with cloves and malt up front. Overripe pears and bananas are followed by Juicy Fruit gum.

The flavor is sweet and closely follows the nose. A short, mild finish adds prunes and dates.

With a full body and soft, smooth texture, light carbonation conceals the alcohol.

This is a great beer. One which I have overlooked for many years. It is dangerously easy to consume. It would pair with any occasion, but tastes like Autumn in a glass.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

Aventinus into proper weizen glass

Pours a deep ruby with brown and gold highlights, and a two finger tan head. No lace is left, but a quick swirl leaves sheets that drag slowly down.

The nose on this beer, oh man. Clove, spice, yeast, chocolate, faint banana, sweet vanilla extract, tangy wheat.

God, thank you for making this beer. Indirectly. But thank you. Chocolate covered bananas, vanilla, clove, spice cake, chocolate drizzled tangerines, yeast dryness on the finish. Such a dark beer, yet so powerfully bright and consuming of all the senses. Finishes pretty clean leaving just a bit of tanginess from the wheat.

Body is quite heavy, but broken apart quickly with a dancing and zippy carbonation. Never settles in one area, but instead chooses to run about through the mouth as quickly as possible.

I think this is possibly the easiest drinking beer in the 8% category. It just goes down so absurdly easy, and then it's all gone. Good thing that it only comes in half liters, this would do a world of hurt in a six pack. And it's priced pretty nicely too. Is it weird to get butterflies when drinking a beer?

500ml bottle into cervoise

A - A browish-gray with lighter copper edging. Decent slightly off white head. Strong lacing

S - Estery, banana, cloves and other spices (pepper).

T - Actually surprised about this one. Excellent balance of the banana/cloves and spices with a semi sweet malt background. You get a bit of sweet vanilla and caramel which is quite nice to offset the graininess of it..

M - Medium body, a touch high on the carbonation but nothing to detract from the beer.

D - ABV hidden well. Decent brew and not that difficult to drink. Recommended for people unfamiliar with the style.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Petaluma Taps. Pours a dark ruddy caramel brown, dense head subsided slowly leaving a bubbly surface covering, minor lacing.

Aroma is spicy, dominanted by cloves atop dark fruits, banana and much grain. Complex, something for everyone.

Taste is rich and spicy as well with a hint of anise. Zero bitterness. The strong long lived estry aftertaste is the highlight of this brew, very nice. Creamy mouthfeel.
superb brew
cheers
jd

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours slightly golden with a lasting 1cm white head. Aroma is of slightly overripe banana and a bit of yeast.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth with no alcohol sting. Instead the taste is of banana, well-rounded, mild hops, with clove/black pepper at the end. Very tasty!

I had this with mild-flavored picnic food: boiled eggs, ham, fried chicken, potato salad, etc. It enhanced the meal well.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a slightly muddy brown, a but lighter/clearer than expected, with medium head and just spots of lacing. Nose is WOW, packed with fruity yeast esters...exactly what you would want in this kind of beer. Taste has banana, dough, spice...again pretty much what you would want. Only gripe is the mouthfeel is a bit harsh/course. Overall, great.

This my friends is the new sheriff in my town.THE King of all wheat beers and maybe the king of all beers period.The smell,the taste the appearance just incredible.This is the perfect beer if you love wheat beers hell if you love beer period.It is incredibly easy drinking for a high abv.
No where do you taste alcohol because is is such a complex beer.Caramel,banana's cloves,maltiness, tons of yeast and some chocolate,what a beer!

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer tens of times before, but this is my first time reviewing it.

A – Pours a dark, ruddy brown with a furiously effervescent head which recedes to bald batches and then baldness within a couple of minutes. Not typical of this beer, so I’ll tack this down to this beer having travelled thousands of miles.

S – Smells sweet and fruity. Perfumed-malt. Clear phenolic character. Some booze. Soreen loaf.

T – Not as sweet or fruity as the nose. Wheat, boozy malt and a semi-sweet yeast flavour predominate.

M – Fairly high carbonation makes this remarkably refreshing for a fairly strong and dark beer. Mouthfeel is bang on; it would be cloying if it were much heavier, and would fail to carry the abv., and strong malty-wheat flavours if it were lighter.

O – I’ve drunk this beer at least an order of magnitude more than any other beer on the planet. At university I’d routinely drink 2-3 of these bad boys when I’d sit down to write an essay. This beer made a significant contribution towards my graduating from that institution. Tap 6 Aventinus will always be a special beer for me and as such it’s hard for me to separate my assessment of this beer as a beer from the many happy memories it has provided me with and long nights it has accompanied me on. Funnily enough I started drinking it for purely pragmatic reasons; it provided the best balance between affordability, flavour and high abv., but over time I really started to appreciate it for the classic brew that it is.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

4.85/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beer rating: 4.33 out of 5 with 4,621 ratings