Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,122 | Ratings: 4,415
4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

I've tried this one from the bottle too and the difference in taste/drinkability is tremendous! On tap this stuff has no business going down as easy as it does with an 8% abv and tons of taste. Cloudy orangish/brown with a nice head that dies quick..but who cares? This beer still tastes great down to the last sip! A welcome fruity taste but not overbearing by any means. Definitely bananas detected, some other slight tropical type fruit tastes. Has a slight alcohol bite to let you know what you're getting into, but really adds to the overall taste. Two twenty oz. glasses and you're feeling grand, but could easily drink many more. This is great year round and should be sought out by all!! Fantastic!!

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a weizen glass. Back label had some bottling codes but couldn't translate into a date. It was ruby brown color. Massive amount of carbonation. Sliding initial lace that doesn't stick.

The aroma was amazing. Over-ripe banana, clove, vanilla in front with chocolate malt in back. I love the smell of wheats and this one was outstanding. I find most weizenbocks to be overly dominated by dark fruits and less enjoyable but this one nailed it. The taste was exceptional. Awesome from start to finish. Great wheat beer taste. Since the aroma was very sweet, I was worried that the taste might be too sweet but it wasn't. Great balance to keep it from becoming cloying. A pleasure to drink. Only complaint on the mouthfeel was a tad too much carbonation.

Overall, an world class beer. Most highly recommend. I had one of these for the first time several years back and it was awful. At the time, it was my first weizenbock so I assumed it was the style. I'd have several weizenbocks since then that were good but had been avoiding this one till now. So glad that I finally gave it another shot. My last try must have been a seriously bad bottle. I still remember the horrid aroma and bitter taste. Now that I've had the real thing, it will be a major player in the rotation.

big bottle

smell is enticing and intredibly appetizing - bananna bread, biscuit, spice

flavor is complex with a lot of depth - spice, bread dough, ginger cookie

wow - just an amazing beer - careful of the 8.2 % though

a world classic for sure - industry benchmark

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer pours a slightly hazy, dark ruby color with a rapidly fading half-inch head and lasting lace. It's aroma is fruity with hints of plum, and bread. The flavor is fruity, mainly dark fruit and cherries. There is vanilla and sweet, dark malt with a pleasant warmth in the finish. The mouthfeel is smooth and full. Schneider Aventinus is and outstanding beer, well balanced, complex, and perfect for celebrating the new year. Highly recommended!

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Schneider Aventinus has a thick, fizzy, light-beige head and an initially clear, brown, bubbly appearance, that becomes cloudy brown upon swishing and pouring in the bottom third of the bottle. Not much lacing is seen with this one. Aroma is unique- cinnamon powder, wheat bread, molasses, spices, and fruit cake. Taste is of cinnamon, spices, nutmeg, yeast, pepper, monkey bread, nuts, and other things I can’t pinpoint. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Aventinus finishes refreshing, crisp, and surprisingly drinkable. Overall, this is an epic, world-class beer. I beg you to try it.

RJT

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax. Poured into an Aventinus glass. White froth rises up and spits forth a beautiful aroma from the tiny, tiny bubbles comprising the head. Aroma is of banana/plantain?, dates, raisins, spices? and other sweet nectars. Amazing. Beautiful. Taste is of dark fruits, wheat, sweet malts and some peppery spice, I believe. Amazing that somehow 8.2% ABV is packed into this beer. Aventinus is just amazing in every way. Only one word can summarize this beer, delicious.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

This is a true artisan beer and a coup for Shneider Weise. If you like wheat beers or Dopple Bocks give this a try. I found using a belgian ale style glass better and more staisfying than the typical Pilsner glass. Fruity aroma, smooth and somewhat creamy head. Fantastic and satisfying flavor. Great before, during and after a meal. I recommend large thick pork chops with apple sauce or leg of Lamb and Jalepeno Jelly. Or if you like Corsendonk - try this as a finishing beer.

Little know fact: Schneirer Weisse also makes a distilled liquor from this brew called Aventinus Elderbrand (Noble Fire) waiting for a shipment from Germany to try this though - next week. Just got confirmation on it. I will add a review for that after we try it.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Had this on tap at Tuskies in Leesburg, VA. They have the best selection on-tap I've seen.

Nice fizzy head, two fingers, off-white. Dissipates rather quickly, could be the way the bartender poured. Dark brown and cloudy.

Smell is exceptional. Roasted hops with a slight sweet smell. I smell a spice like in apple cider.

Taste is fantastic. I love the roasted malt taste and the apple cider smell is definitely in the taste. The more I sip and the more it warms, apple cider becomes more evident. Not much of an alcohol taste. There is a hop bite at the end.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth with tiny bubbles.

This is a really great beer. One I would love to have on hand at all times.

I had this in the bottle later on. So much better in the bottle. I feel like the tastes are much more pronounced and I do not taste as much apple cider as I taste light, smooth alcohol and the roasted malt. The wheat and malt are in perfect balance.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

I was blown away by this beer. It takes everything I love about a good German Hefe and takes it to 11. One of the top 5 beers I have ever had.

Good head, nice dark tan color, good mouthfeel and incredibly drinkable for the alcohol content. I would (and have) recommended to everyone.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Aroma here will rival the sweetest of beers. Lots of banana and bubblegum show up with some faint spices in the background.

Pours a dark brown in my pint glass with a thick, rocky head with fair staying power.

Taste is such a sweet and delicious one. Tons of banana here...bubblegum....sweet fruit....and some definite clove presence as well. This is the predominant taste of the beer and it's oh so drinkable. Alcohol at 8.2 percent?? Couldn't tell at all. The sweetness and cloves go all the way through the finish. No hops to be detected. Small incidence of wheat on the back.

One of the few beers that nears absolute perfection to me. It'd be hard to believe they get much better than this.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

One of my favorite beers of all time. I've tried this many times, both in the bottle (and years later on tap) at the Schneider Brewery's flagship restaurant in Munich. As you would expect, it was served in the distinctive narrow bottomed, wide-mouthed Aventinus glass.

Appearance is very dark brown, with a purplish tinge. Excellent, long-lasting head.

The thought of the aroma still brings a smile to my face. Chocolate-molasses with a bit of wheat thrown in for good measure.

The flavor is outstanding, sweet and malty with strains of more traditional weizen beer. (UPDATE: I should have said, Bavarian dunkeles weizen, i.e., "yes, we have no bananas..." ;o) Smooth, sweet finish.

Mouthfeel is very nice, with the excellent texture and carbonation tickling the roof of your mouth. Maybe the slightest bit sticky.

This brew is dangerously drinkable, as it's difficult to notice you're drinking a high-alcohol content beverage unless you've read the label. Use caution. ;)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

This is my favorite. This stuff is absolutely delicious and if it weren't for the high ABV I would drink this all day everyday.

Head pours about 2 fingers thick and slowly goes down. Nice dark color, not quite black. It has the similar taste of a hefeweizen with a stonger hint of alcohol.

Happy Birthday to Me!

OK, so I really don't need a special occasion to drink this, my all time favorite ale, but every single time I have one of these, it's a celebration.

Still, it was nice to celebrate the big 4-3 with family, a few good friends, and G. Schneider and Sohn.

A bottle fermented beauty that pours to a deep, hazy, wheaty brownish color. Cloudy like a hefe, but the color of brown ale…quite a combination. Smells of raisins, dates, cloves…maybe a bit of chocolate, with a hint of butterscotch. Sweet, but not annoyingly so.

Smooth mouthfeel, nicely carbonated, with an almost dry yet buttery finish.

Decidedly drinkable!

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

All I can say about this brew is WOW! This is one of my favorites, it is a complete joy to drink. It has a great apperance and pours a deep amber to brown and offers a wonderful frothy head. This brew has a great full mouth feel and has a good after taste and a strong aroma. This is the best Doppelbock I have had.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

A- Dark caramel/amber body with a light tan head about 1".
S- Big wheat and caramel aromas right off the bat. Some nice grass and a light spicey hops. Hints of dark fruits also come through.
T- A really great flavor to follow the wonderful aroma! Nice big caramel malts with a good balance to it from a great helping of grass and light spice hops (to follow the aroma). Some dark fruits/esters come through nice a subtle. Leaves a nice big dry bitterness and caramel flavor on tongue with some lingering esters. Also get quite a nice soothing warming from alcohol.
M- I think it has a tad to high carbonation with a medium body.
D- This is an amazing beer. Might have just made it up to one of my top beers. Before I say that I want to have it a few more times but I am sure that will happen very shortly.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

wowie zowie. this is a keeper. sweet estery malty aroma. clove, banana, sweet but not too. refreshing subtle bitterness cuts the sweet making it eminently drinkable. no idea how they hide 8.2% so well. clove is subtle, plays well with the hops to cut the sweetness. this is truely a great beer and proves why six generations of schneider have been making this beer the same way.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

My God! This beer is nothing short of spectacular. This is not a style I've ever been particularly fond of, but this is one of the greatest beers I've ever had. It's much more estery and aromatic than any other German bock I've ever encountered, It sort of reminds me of a cross between a German doppel bock and a Belgian strong dark ale. It's floral and fruity, but make no mistake this beer has balls the size of haystacks. I doubt that there is a better beer in all of Germany.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured a rich deep ruddy brown with great white head, head lingers a very long time. It laces the glass well. Scent of raisins,caramel, biscuits. It has a feel of bright carbonation. Taste is indescribably complex and delicious! A relativly high A.B.V. is absolutely not apparent, so be careful with this one!

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

I like German beer. I like strong German beer. I love strong, limited edition, German beer.

This beer comes packaged in a paper cover with dated events from 1999. It has a little tag on it. There were only 240 cases of this. I have been able to get 2 bottles. This beer makes a case for cellaered beer.

Imagine Aventinus. Then imagine Aventinus with less sweetness more balance and one of the smoothest taste you will ever experience. I can't say enough about this. Ecstasy is the word. Rivals any beer I have ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

This is, without a doubt, one of my favorite beers. It's a smooth German doppleback that's easy to drink (which surprised me, considering the ABV). This wheat beer has a wonderful banana smell and aftertaste. Just the right amount of carbonation, with an amber/brown color. In all, I highly recommend it.

4.91/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a murky brown color with a smallish tan head that dissipated into a nice ring, no lacing though. The smell is wonderful; bananas, clove, medicinal phenols, and raisins. The taste is fantastic, great hefe flavors; banana, clove, medicinal, and a nice earthy yeast. A bit of alcohol and light dark fruit shows up in the end. The feel is moderate with fizzy carbonation. The finish is fantastic, it is sweet but not sugary or syrupy, perfect. Damn this is a mighty fine brew. All of the great hefe flavors without the hard wheat bite. Extremely smooth and extraordinarily drinkable. Definitely a must try and try and try again.

4.91/5  rDev +13.9%

Sampling right now on 12/28/13. Single 550ml (16.9 oz.) bottle was purchased last night and chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler. Poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a dark hazy 'ice tea' in color with a good 1-finger+ foamy off-white head that lasts a long time. Lots of lacing is seen with each sip. The aroma is of sweet grains, dark fruit and wheat toast. The taste is even better! Wow! What a fantastic brew! Super smooth and goes down easy with NO harsh or bitter aftertaste at all! Perfect carbonation as well. Love this one!

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

A-pours a murky chesnut brown with a twinge of red with a very generous head which seem to forget about it's abv and leaves behind a nice lace
S-smells sweet and syrupy with a fruit, toffee banana, clove with a slight hint of alcohol in the background
T-a very sweet taste of malt with a dark fruit, chocolate, banana, toffee, clove combo with a perfect spicynesswith no hint of hops and a nice touch of alcohol but it definitely hides it's 8% abv behind its complex flavor overall it's very delicious and highly recommended in my opinion one of the top beers around
M/D-pretty good level of carbonation with a medium heavy body though still very drinkable (purhaps due to it's delicious taste) but due to it's price, availability (i know of three places that have it in my vicinity) and higher abv its not really suited for an all night session but is WELL worth looking for everytime i go to these places i can't resist i have to get one without a doubt one of my top 5 beers

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Everything everyone else says about this is true... this brew is a work of art.

I'd put this up against Chimay Grande Reserve. It's different, but just absolutely delicious.

The appearance, something I don't often spend a lot of time on, is a gorgeous, dark, cloudy ruby-brown. Unbelievable.

The smell... what can I say? The long-tweaked work of some brilliant brewmasters. These people should be really proud of what they have accomplished.

Taste? I don't need to say anything here. It's absolutely superb.

Mouthfeel - smooth as silk. Makes you giddy it's so smooth.

Drink - This could be dangerous, given the ABV. The alcohol is superbly masked. The richness of this beer is second-to-none, but it's magically extremely drinkable. Be careful!

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%

One of my favorites, often enjoyed, never reviewed. Pours a hazy, chestnut brown body with a sturdy one finger head that is old ivory in color. Nice retention and average patchy lace result from the pour.
Aroma is heavenly. Clove spiked rum rasin bread is the best description. Raisins, allspice, overripe bananas, wheat grain, a hint of alcohol, and an array of other spices entice the nose. Beautiful!
Mouthfeel has spritzy carbonation and an ideal medium body that, somehow, manages to possess a creamy component.
Taste is divinely complex. Chocolate notes are complimented by spicy clove and allspice, and an abundance of fruity flavors are led by banana, plum, fig, and dates. Earthy yeast adds yet another dimension, as the carbonation allows the complexities to mingle into an orgy of Weizenbock delight.
This is probably my favorite beer, one that I rely on as a solid, full bodied, supremely crafted, always enjoyable, brew. Very highly recommended to all.