Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,122 | Ratings: 4,417
3.51/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance started off outstanding and finished below average. Extreme carbonation with a soapy like head that fizzed alot.Dark red color with bubbling carbonation.Strong ABV noticed with every sip. Watery and could use more body.No traces of lace left at all.Had a huge head even with a slow pour that lasted for a few minutes.Sweet malt taste with hints of raisins and molasses. I expected more.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

I poured aggressively and got over a two inch head; off white, which quickly subsided. Color is bronze not too dark brown.

The aroma is mystical- alcohol, plum, winelike and spice.

Taste of dark bread, grain and controlled sweetness. Finishes with sweet and fruity notes yet remarkably clean. This is a Christmas treat for me and I found it wonderfully drinkable.

The Doppelbock name on the label had me from the start.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

tough to add much to 357 reviews, but here goes, bottle says brewed in 1999, pours a murky, cloudy, brownish, plummy shade of something very Aventinus like. Nose is musty, fruity, vinious and earthy. Bold and unbashful, this is a tasty, strong wheat bock, fruity, notes of ripe plums, malty, slightly astringent on the tongue. One of the all time classics, a must try. fine stuff

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

16.9oz bottle obtained via trade with LuckySevens82. Thanks for the opportunity... Comes in commemorative bag noting events in 1999, and with descriptive hangtag.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" eggshell head above the dark brownish-amber brew. Head is relatively resilient, and lacing is minimal, both of which are acceptable to me with an aged product. Aroma is of caramel malts, with light tinges of dark fruits and hops character. Taste is initially of biscuity malt, fading into the minimal fruit and hops notes as hinted in the nose. No hint of relatively high alcohol content here. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and drinkability excellent as well. Worth searching for.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

It pours with a huge cream colored head that dissipates after about a minute or so, leaves very little lacing. Thousands of tiny bubbles come up from bottom of glass during the entire expoerience. It's a clear copper-brown.

The aroma is grainy almost like wet hay with slight hints of banana and brown sugar. There is just the slightest hint of hop bouquet.

The flavor is sweet and malty, again with faint hints of raisins, prunes, and licorice. Tha alcohol comes through a little bit on this one and no hop finish to speak of at all.

Good carbonation and body.

An enjoyable beer. i am not a big fan of wheat beers, they always have that wet hay/grass aroma, but this was a good beer.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

My God! This beer is nothing short of spectacular. This is not a style I've ever been particularly fond of, but this is one of the greatest beers I've ever had. It's much more estery and aromatic than any other German bock I've ever encountered, It sort of reminds me of a cross between a German doppel bock and a Belgian strong dark ale. It's floral and fruity, but make no mistake this beer has balls the size of haystacks. I doubt that there is a better beer in all of Germany.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark amber with a huge 2 inch head (maybe too aggressive on the pour) it dissapated quickly and leaves little to no lacing.

Scent is of sweet light roasted malts, rasins, bananas and spices.

Taste is quite nice with sweet malts, dark fruits, bananas, clove and finishes dry but sweet with just a hint of hops.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, and even though there seems to be a lot of carbination (maybe too much) in this bottle it leaves me with a creamy feel.

Drinkability is superb. This beer is smooth and almost refreshing (maybe due to the carbination). I would definately be able to drink many more of these.

This is the best weizenbock I have had. 2001 is very much worth the price, almost $7 for 500ml bottle. I am planning on buying another.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Got this in BIF 10. It is wonderful. Beautiful garnet/deep red color. Pours with a huge head, but it doesn't stick around. I wouldn't expect it to, given the ABV. Smells vinous. Raisiny, black curranty... You can taste the alchol in this, but it's not out in front screaming. It's there, but as a supporting cast. Tastes kinda like a barleywine soaked raisin. A very, very nice, well done beer. It's surpisingly light on the tounge.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Upon listening to my buddy Sulldaddy tell me over and over again that this is his favorite brew, I finally broke down and bought a bottle.

Pouring it into my goblet, it poured a dark brown w/ hints of reds in there as well. It left a very fizzy head that quickly jumped over the rim of my glass, but just as quickly fizzled to absolute nothingness in my glass. Smelling it, I first got a sense of soy sauce from a foot or so away, but when really getting my nose into it, I got lots of brown malty tones, not as much as I would hope from a Weizen, but nice overall. I also got the smell of some nuts, fruit (raisins maybe) or some rasberries w/ chocolate.

Tasting it, I first thought it was very malty and deep in flavor w/ plums and citrus flavors. However, as I took a few more sips I felt it tasted more like bitter rasberry chocolate. As I swallowed it, I got the slight taste of a clove cigarette that spiced it up a bit (nice touch).

Pretty light in body, it drank rather easily and the taste helped that happen. It was a nice crisp beer even at room temp, with nice carbonation that tickled my tongue. It also left a nice aftertaste as I said before.

Drinkable??? As Stone Cold once said..."OH, HELL YEAH!!!!"

Pours with an orange reddish color and a light head around the rim of the glass. The aroma is malty sweet with some fruity notes. The flavor is brimming with malt character but not in an over-done way. Pale malt seems to dominate the delicate flavor along with light flavors of apple, grapefruit, and crisp grass. There is also a slight wood flavor in the beer. Very clean beer with a smooth carressing of the palate.

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%

One of my favorites, often enjoyed, never reviewed. Pours a hazy, chestnut brown body with a sturdy one finger head that is old ivory in color. Nice retention and average patchy lace result from the pour.
Aroma is heavenly. Clove spiked rum rasin bread is the best description. Raisins, allspice, overripe bananas, wheat grain, a hint of alcohol, and an array of other spices entice the nose. Beautiful!
Mouthfeel has spritzy carbonation and an ideal medium body that, somehow, manages to possess a creamy component.
Taste is divinely complex. Chocolate notes are complimented by spicy clove and allspice, and an abundance of fruity flavors are led by banana, plum, fig, and dates. Earthy yeast adds yet another dimension, as the carbonation allows the complexities to mingle into an orgy of Weizenbock delight.
This is probably my favorite beer, one that I rely on as a solid, full bodied, supremely crafted, always enjoyable, brew. Very highly recommended to all.

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

This beer pours a brown color with a tall off-white head that stays around for a while and leaves a little bit of lacing on the glass. The aroma has a fruity sweetness and a little alcohol. The flavor is quite malty and sweet with the alcohol being evident as well. Thick mouthfeel.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Murky brown looking brew with a big tannish head full of big and little bubbles collapsing on themselves as they fall to tiny ring of bubbles. Its cool you can hear them bursting on there way down fizzy sounding, but not fizzy tasting. Aroma of ripe fruits dipped in caramel and molasess dominate with smells of light spice and toasted malt also but in backgroud. Taste is sweet fruit to start aided by some caronation. Then the toasted malt makes a brief apperance followed by light bitterness and spiceness that begins after your swallow is resting safely in your tummy. Mouthfeel is right side of medium its chewy and full tasting, but not a heavy beer goes down easy and smooth finished before done typing. Drinkability is good goes down easy bottle say 8% that doesn't seem possible no alcohol in taste at all. My first Weizenbock on reccomendation from merlin48 this is a good beer must try more.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Consumed in October 2004 at the Toronado on tap. Let me start by saying that I have had this beer many a time, but am just getting around to rating it. This is, without a doubt, my favorite current beer. It pours with a huge head and leaves a nice lace while drinking it in my awesome Aventinus glass. The only reason it doesn't get a 5 on appearance is that I compare everything against beers like Westy or Rochefort or the like. The bubbles seemed to be a little large and the lacing wasn't top notch as some beers I have had. The scent is heavenly. Smells of so many different things. Cloves, spices, anise, chocolate, bananas, toffee, port like wine. So many different scents to amaze your nose. Taste is just as good. Mostly I taste the cloves, spices and bananas. Perfect carbonation for this style beer which makes it very smooth going down. The high alcohol content is the only reason it doesn't get a 5 on drinkability. Two of these is plenty for me before it ends being as enjoyable. A really good afterdinner drink if you don't wan't something super sweet like a port, barleywine or eisbock. Can't say enough good things about this beer. Even the price is good. About $3.29 at my local bevmo for a 16.9 oz bottle. I always have at least 4-6 or these on hand at all times. If you see it, you must try it. I deplore you people!!! Buy one...no, buy two because you will be wanting another the minute you finish the first.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Happy Birthday to Me!

OK, so I really don't need a special occasion to drink this, my all time favorite ale, but every single time I have one of these, it's a celebration.

Still, it was nice to celebrate the big 4-3 with family, a few good friends, and G. Schneider and Sohn.

A bottle fermented beauty that pours to a deep, hazy, wheaty brownish color. Cloudy like a hefe, but the color of brown ale…quite a combination. Smells of raisins, dates, cloves…maybe a bit of chocolate, with a hint of butterscotch. Sweet, but not annoyingly so.

Smooth mouthfeel, nicely carbonated, with an almost dry yet buttery finish.

Decidedly drinkable!

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours out a dark reddish brown with a generous bubbly tan head. The head fizzed away to lacing rather quickly.

Smell is delicious. The fruity sweetness makes me think of baked sweets, and there is a hint of alcohol warmth to the aroma, somewhat reminiscent wine.

The taste does not dissapoint. Rich malty sweetness, a hint of licorice and spice. Its finish is like a lick of candy.

The mouthfeel is perfect. It is medium bodied with a light bit of carbonation. I goes into the mouth smoothly, feels good on the tongue, and is easy to swallow.

This is one of the most drinkable beers I've tasted. The combination of a great taste and perfect mouthfeel make it hard to put your glass down.

One of my favorite beers. I would not hesitate recommending it to anyone.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours an orange brown with nice white head. Smell and flavor is tart fruit- apples, cherries and yeast with a hop bitterness enough for balance and a malty sweetness. The beer is medium bodied with a very smooth mouthfeel along with bubbly carbonation and warm alcohol sensation. Very good beer, I prefer this over regular dopplebocks.

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

The beer pours a dark but clear copper auburn like color.

An intriguing aroma -- fruity (plums and raisins), malt sweetness along with a hint of chocolate.

A complex flavor of the plum type fruitiness, along with malt and caramel.

The mouthfeel really added to this beer, with the effervescence from the carbonization

An excellent beer.

3.08/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a reddish brown color. Very odd fizzy head that recedes into nothing. Clove dominates in the smell, as well as something else that I don't like at all. Taste is of cloves and some bananas, with a bit of chocolate. There's almost a burning aftertaste that's rather unpleasent.

Overall, I don't really care for this brew. Not only is it darn expensive ($4 bucks a bottle, almost the same as a Rogue bomber), but it just doesn't do anything for me. I may try it again in a year or so, once my tastebuds have grown.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a nice chesnutty copper color with a Volcanous, fizzy light beige head. Aroma is warm and inviting. Clove, roasty wheat, banana and other dark fruit and a little bit acrid or lactic smelling. Estery, spicy attack mixed with some sweet malt and dark fruit notes and finishes off with some alcohol warmth and some winey esters. Very nice weizenbock. Quite possibly the best in the world.

3.1/5  rDev -28.1%

Dark brown color with a nice head, but nearly no lacing left on the glass as you drink.
Aroma of cloves and light malt..tons of spice.
This one needs to tone down the cloves a bit. I'm not a lover of the Weissbeer style, so maybe that's why I couldn't get past the fruity, spicy flavor of this beer.
I have to give this beer some credit. It was smooth and had a decent mouthfeel to it, with some nice malt flavor.
Doesn't quite live up to it's reputation as far as I'm concerned.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

A draft pour into an appropriate Aventinus glass reveals a thick bone-colored head that leaves decent lacing. Beer remains under a veil of head till' the end.
--Nose is BIG, filled w/ cloves, nutmeg, bannana-bread, heather. I also find traces of dark fruit and raisens. Has the trademark aroma of a wheat-beer (on steroids), w/ an alcoholic kick
---Mmmm, it tastes as good as it smells, no, better! Tastes like warm raisen-bread. Nice caramely malts. Sweet with a rather light mouthfeel. This is one tasty beer. I would drink one after Thanksgiving dinner, or anytime for that matter! Can you age this beer?

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

This is my first Weizenbock, having focused on Belgian brews for some time now, I decided to expand to German ales. Poured an evervescent red-brown with a foamy white head that dissipated slowly. Smell was a wine-like plum and banana. Taste... Hey! It's like that one I used to have at Gordon Biersch! Dark fruits, malts, bit of spice and banana, so chocolate creeping in. Has a surprisely light mouthfeel, which was unusual yet appreciated and the high ABV is so well hidden it is quaffable (although you'll want most of it to land in your mouth so it is not a true quaff). This beer is also very refreshing and drinkable, especially on a hot summer night... I like this a lot.

3.07/5  rDev -28.8%

Pouring this, I was rewarded with an initial 1.75 inch, hi density off-white foamy head and the color of the beer is a burnt caramel. The carbonation is at the initial pour, almost champagne like in intensity, with bubbles ascending from all sectors of the glasses interior. The nose offers copious quantities of clove and fennel which somewhat dissipates revealing the yeast and a hint of dark chocolate. The initial mouth feel is quite creamy, as a portion of the head exists throughout the tasting. The finish is quite crisp, due to the persistent carbonation. For me, the clove-like underpinnings remind me somewhat of a "seasonal" holiday flavored brew, and somewhat detract from the overall drinkability of this beer. The combined expansive nature of the style, and the prominent clove / fennel like flavor deeply embedded in this beer is a bit "over the top" as I began to get subtle indications that having gone onto a second bottle might have encouraged my gag reflex into operation. It is the nose of this product that has an enormous weight on how this beer will be generally perceived, evaluated and ultimately enjoyed. The taste is moderately potable, but there is no escaping the outgassing of odoriferous emanations. Although interesting to try, it is doubtful that this beer will find a place in my cellar now or in the future.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance: A somewhat cloudy brown with golden undertones. Furious carbonation and a tall, loose off-white head with moderate retention. No real lacing.

Smell: Rich malts and a bit of alcohol at first. Clove spice, bubblegum and a general sense of dark fruit, though no specific one comes to mind. Unusual (though perhaps not for the style) and quite pleasing.

Taste: Wacky. Well, it certainly is what it claims to be. It tastes exactly like a blend of weisse and dopplebock. The mouthfeel is medium, but the carbonation is extremely sharp; cola come to mind. The flavor is malty, wheaty, spicy, clove...ish? Finishes sweet, but thin and crisp. Bitterness and clove linger.

Drinkability: The slightly phenol taste and high ABV would make this a tough go as a session. I'm glad I tried it, though.

While I know this is a site favorite, not my glass of beer. I like weisse, I like bock, but together it's a bit much. I've rated it fairly high because it seems to be a very good example of the style, but I find the flavor and texture all over the place, with pairings that don't work for me. Next!

NOTE: This beer is MUCH better on tap, absolutely amazing. If I had the energy to write another review, it would be close to a perfect "5."