Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Ratings: 4,483 |  Reviews: 2,139
2.65/5  rDev -38.5%

Very dark in color, pours thick, and has an oddly bright white head for such a thick beer. Smells of dark fruits, plums, and sugar.

Up front it tastes of barley, and dates but the swallow finishes with a wheats taste which clears up the sweetness that would normally persist from such flavors, a very nice balance. Goes very well with sushi!

Nice beer overall, id definatinely give it another go

After finishing the bottle, I noticed the upfront sweetness of the beer starts to build and kit gets sweeter as you sip, not something I enjoyed

2.71/5  rDev -37.1%

Aventinus

Appearance- dark hazy brown with a big thick head. Had to wait a few minutes and continue pouring.
Smell- Whoa.... Pepper and cloves!!!!
Taste- watery and thin with nothing more than clove and pepper.
Mouthfeel- watery. Slight bubbly carbonation.

Overall- The first sip gives you all this clove and pepper, and just when you think the beers about to kick it up a notch... it doesn't.
A beer I could drink a few of, but not worthy of the price. Not a bad 1 but nothing special here either!!!

2.72/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

OK, this is getting to be a bit much for me. How is it possible that I find similarities in three beers in a row? The color, here, is different. But the taste... Yeah. Nutty and malty, for sure, but some of that same brown sugar taste (not the sweet part). Fine mouthfeel. I'm just not interested today. I've got to go and grab something good - to make sure that it's not just an off day for me!

2.74/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -36.2%

2.77/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.8/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have found that I do not like what I would term big over the top alcoholic brews and this fits that description.

Two fingers of head when poured but this quickly drops with some retention. Murky brown in colour. Aromas of dark fruit and overwhelming alcohol which persisted on the palate. The alcohol just wiped out everything else for me. Totally dominant. Perhaps better with food?

2.83/5  rDev -34.3%

The new style (TAP 6) bottle.

Poured into a Franziskaner Weissbier glass.

A deep off-white head sat on top of a moody reddy/browny coloured body, lots going on as bubbles rise through the beer to replenish the head.

Sweet malty/yeasty/banana/vanilla smells.

The taste is a toxic, vibrant, fizzy mix of the aforementioned aromas, a little too sweet in my opinion with the vanilla and banana flavours coming through the most. Add a large hunk of treacle toffee into the taste arena and you've got the right amount of sweetness I found.

The alcohol is well hidden and only arrives as you finish the beer, warming the mouth nicely. I expected more from this well respected and thought of beer, too sweet for me.

2.87/5  rDev -33.4%

This is the 2002 brewery-aged version. Apparently Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize, the Bucs won the Super Bowl, and the Euro was adopted in this fine year. Served in a weizen glass.

A - Two fingers of quick-dissolving foam, over top of an attractive transparent orange-brown liquid with lots of bubbles and suspended sediment. No lace, cap, collar, nada - looks like sparkling juice or something.

S - Very vinous, but also some date, caramel, and figgy malt character. There's a touch of booziness - kind of in a rum-soaked banana way - and maybe some spice as well. It's a little reminiscent of some Kuhnhenn beers (Winter Wonder, Fourth Dementia), but not as good.

T - Yikes! Taste is incredibly bland - there's a little bit of oxidized wet cardboard character, and only the faintest bit of sweet dark fruit malt. If I had aged this on my own and it had gone downhill like this I wouldn't bother reviewing it, but because Schneider actually packages these vintages and markets them as such I have no choice but to be hard on this brew.

M - Medium body, low carbonation, kind of watery. Not offensive, but not particularly interesting either.

D - If I wanted to get drunk I could finish this, as it's actually quite bland. However, since I actually want beer that tastes good, or at least tastes like SOMETHING, my drain will be savoring this brew instead.

I will review a fresh bottle at some point in the future, but for the time being people need to be warned that the "vintage" Aventinus is pretty bad.

2.9/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

0,51 l bottle poured into a pilsner glass...

A- chocolate brown with a nice full tan head that settles into a generous lace.

S- caramel and roasted barley. there is also that"I drank too much at a German bier gaarten" smell to it.

T- yep, the bier gaarten thing again. This beer is plenty sweet with caramel and brown sugar leading the way. It packs plenty of wallop at 8.2% ABV, but (for me) it drinks like a strong barley wine.

MF- sweet that finishes wet. No too impressive for me, but this is not how I like my beer. .

O- if you like sweet German beers with lots-O-kick, this is your beer. This is not what I like in a beer. On my first trip to Germany my first beer was of a similar style, which left me wondering what all the "German bier" fuss was about.

2.95/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Thanks to kjyost for this one.

Poured from a 500ml bottle, bottled in 2004. Special aged release by the brewery.

Pours a light brown body the color of light cola; head starts thick but disappears in the blink of an eye. Dark plums and molasses are in the aroma. Flavor is a shell of what it could be but there are glimpses of what i know this beer is. Little carbonation and a bit of oxidation finish things off. Nice marketing ploy by the brewery but this should not be aged so long IMO.

2.95/5  rDev -31.6%

16.9 oz. Bottle. Picked this up in Dallas. Not available here in Wichita.

Appearance: Dark hazy brown. Surprisingly, the thin, coarse head acted just like the head on a soda. Rose up thin and fizzed away immediately. Very heavy bead.

Smell: Green apples and chocolate were the main components. Also some light banana, lemon zest, and a good dollup of grainy wheat. Became somewhat sour on the nose after a short period of time.

Mouthfeel: Kind of thin in the mouth. A little chewy, but also a little chalky. Sometimes, it had an extrememly rough bite in the back of the throat.

Taste: Heavy clove, banana, and tart fruit. Seemed very sour and not really in a good way. Like extremely over-the-top green apple, but with a chemical bite. Powdered cocoa and light wheat rounded out the flavors with some hints of yeast and a continuation of the annoying sour flavor on the finish.

I was pretty disappointed with this one. Between the almost non-existent head and the weird sour flavor, I almost thought that I had on off bottle and didn't review it. But enough of the other flavors seemed on point that I think it is supposed to taste like this.

0 for 2 with Schneider.

2.98/5  rDev -30.9%

A: Pours a great, huge head that starts to disipate pretty quickly in my 22 oz. Wiezen Glass. It is a solid brown, and when held up to light shows amber, copper and orange. The head is just of white and looks rather creamy on top with bubbles of varying size underneath. There is decent active carbonation, but not too much.

S: Smells super wheaty, and it's confusing my brain being so brown and smelling like that. I also get a malty sweetness and a sort of funk I usually associate with Belgians. There is also a candi sweetness, perhaps that's what it is, and it's just confusing me. The more I smell it, the more I get just the candi sugar.

T: I really wanted to like this beer, I really did. I just can't seem to get into it though. Perhaps it's a bad bottle? The taste is mildly malty sweet, but tastes more like candi sugar to me than real malt. And the wheat is just a whisp at the end, more of an after taste. I get no hops whatsoever.

M: Ok, very plain. Thin but heavy, mild or little carbonation.

D: I could see where I certain set of people would like this. Must be a bad bottle?

Appearence: Pours a deep mohogany with a thin, quickly dissapating off-white head. Perfect clarity, loads of carbonation.

Smell: The smell is strong and spicy, with strong alcohol notes. The wheat is noticable but not upfront.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Ouch. Too sweet. The flavors that are present (nuttyness, roasted malts, cloves) are overrun and overpowered by the incredibly malty sweetness. Too much for me, it's killing me. The mouthfeel is chewy and thick.

Drinkability and Overall: It's an ok brew just not quite my cup of tea. Too sweet, too overpowering, no balance, and definitly no focus. I've not had too many Weizenbocks, but I know enough about them to realise there is much more a Weizenbock can be than this. Not bad.