Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

#396

Ratings: 4,542 |  Reviews: 2,159

4.59/5  rDev +6%

Pale brown color -- paler than I expected. Head is very aggressive on pour, and settles down into a single finger as I'm sampling the aroma. Very nice nose. Sharp and yeasty aromas. There is a strong base of roasted malt, but a sourdough yeast on top of it. Sweet and sour contrast is very striking. Sitting with it a bit longer gives me some ripe banannas, and some spice rack elements. I could just sit here and smell this all day!

First sip enters relatively sweet. Bananna flavors to match the aromas at entry. Sweetness holds up through the swallow, but still exits pretty dry. Medium carbonation. Thinner mouthfeel than I expected... this is medium bodied. Not much of a tipoff to the high alcohol. Sour yeast from the nose isn't as prominent in the flavor. Instead, it is balanced in among the maltiness.

Overall: A! will be back...

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Pours dark brown with amber highlights in color and a finger tall light beige head. The head reduces to a thick layer of bubbles across the entire surface of the beer, thicker at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant lacing is observed.

S: What a enticing smell, hints of yeast with some sweetness and lots of dark fruit (cherries). There is also a fair amount of dark malts.

T: A very pleasant and rich flavor. Sweet malts with a hint of dark fruit (cherries, fig, and plum) and yeast.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin...

O: Really a very enjoyable beer that is quite sessionable even at the ABV (which is very well hidden). I have had this beer many times over the years and always enjoyed it, tonight's bottle for review is no different.

Poured a very dark brown/purple with a white frothy head which quickly died down.

Smelled sweet yeast,treacle, dark malts,bananas and bubble gum.

Taste was sweet malts, honey, bubble gum, treacle a tiny bit of hops.

Mouth feel was a good smooth with a low level of carbonation very refreshing.

A fantastic beer, hides its abv ridiculously well.Def one of my favourites.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A- dark brown with a frothy head that disapates to a thin off white head.

S- yeast, fruitiness, clove, bubblegum, Belgiany goodness.

T- sour grapes, bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, spicy yeast, a nice malt backbone, banana, and peppers.

M- prickly mouthfeel with a slight bitter and dry finish.

O- I enjoyed this beer. This is my first German craft beer and this makes me want to try all the other styles of beer from Germany. Also should I feel bad if this beer reminds me of RR's Damnation 23?

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Half liter bottle poured into a wheat glass.
Two finger off white/super light brown head. Body ranges from a darker red/brown towards the top of the glass to a lighter orange/golden color at the bottom. Lots of carb working its way through the glass.
Spice, a fruit aroma reminiscent of Belgian brews, banana, caramel, chocolate.
Fruit and spice hit big. Slightest hop bitterness. Malty sweetness. Detectable alcohol but it is very minimal. As I drink all these different fruits pop in my head. You could prob write quite the list if you think about every sip. The flavor complexity on this thing is mindblowing.
Med-full body. Slight tingle from the carb.
Easily my favorite German beer. I never had it fresh while overseas but even the old bottles sitting around the shelves here top everything I’ve had so far.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a .5 liter bottle into a pilsener- pours a dark brown, slightly hazy, with a a one finger head, quick dissipation, and a ring of foam around the edge.

The smell is wonderfully inviting- rounded alcohol note, dark fruit (dark cherry?), and a nose-full of sweet, dark malt. Yeast comes through as well.

Very sweet- the malt really dominates this one (as it well should). A little cherry, a little red grape, just think sweet, fruity, and dark. The yeast comes through much less in the taste than the smell, so it's almost unnoticeable.

I don't think I've ever said this before but maybe it's too carbonated? Pretty prickly for a doppelbock. However, that subsides to a mild prickly-ness after ten minutes. Medium to full bodied. Great beer- if I feel like a dark German lager though I"ll turn to Korbinian.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Poured into a goblet, appears a murky brownish color with an off white head with great retention. Little lacing, however, but other than that, the beer looks beautiful.

S: Onscenely fruity and spicey, with banana, raisin, honey, baking spices and rum-like alcohol.

T: Mirrors the nose, but with more complexity. Big dark fruit flavors lead into banana and clove, with some brown sugar and carob. A little herbal-ness just before the dry, spicy alcoholic finish with residual banana, brown sugar and rum flavors. Coats the mouth with it's deliciousness.

M: Medium-heavy body with a persistent, tight carbonation which lends it a creamy mouthfeel. Malt flavors coat the mouth as I said before, and leave great residual flavors along with some dryness.

O: What a beer. Been dying to try this for a long time and it certainly did not disappoint. Although I'm not sure if this is better than Vitus... it's damn close! Either way a terrific weizenbock. I've had the eisbock version but I think I like this better.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

This was one of the brews that got me into craft beer.

Pours a very dark ruby/amber into Aventinus weizen-eisbock glass. One fingered off-white head.

Smell is rich with ripe plums and clove. Banana and bready malt is also strongly present.

Taste is of ripe fruit (plums and banana). There is also a nice spicy flavor and some cinnamon.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with ample carbonation.

Overall this is spectacular. I am grateful that I had a great server while visiting The J. Clyde in Birmingham, AL who turned me on to this one.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

I've got to know the Tap 6 a lot better and I've upgraded my rating quite considerably. I think the Eisbock has helped me to understand what the Tap 6 is all about.

A: Beautiful opaque brown. Head disappears quickly. Not much lacing.

S: Christmas cake and a bit of vinegar.

T: The usual banana and lots of the Christmas cake flavour coming through. Distinct rumness. Some lovely almond/marzipan notes. I can't pick out any particular fruit but it's fruity. Tangy and very refreshing.

O: A really nice drink, I can see why there was only one left in E-Mart.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into Weizen glass

A: Hazy very dark copper/brown color with a huge fluffy off white head. Big chunks of lacing.

S: Bananas, clove, sweet malt, bread, bubblegum, hints of alcohol. Definitely a maltier presence than other schneiders.

T: Deliciously malty, sweet ripe bananas, apples, bubblegum, grainy and bready malt flavors, and just a perfect hint of spice. Definite mild notes of warming rum flavor.

M: Creamy, medium body, biting carbonation, crisp finish.

O: Wow, now I know why everyone loves this beer so much. Will be purchasing this again for sure. What a great style, and done so well.

Beer rating: 4.33 out of 5 with 4,542 ratings