Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

YOUR RATING = None |

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,103 | Ratings: 4,367
4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer looks perfect. In fact, it's the first beer of 220 I've reviewed that I've given a 5 to. It is a wonderful dark mahogany color with a large amount of carbonation and a huge, meringue-like head. The head was so substantial that it took me several minutes to totally pour it into my hefe glass. My nephew who lived in Germany says this minutes-long pouring process is normal, though. I was about to subtract a .5 point because this beer was clear. But once I swirled the last few ounces in the bottle and poured them in my glass, the beer got nice and cloudy.

The smell is very good and combines the styles nicely. There is the expected clove smell of a Weizen and it's mixed with the malty and fruity notes of a bock.

The taste is also very good. It is spicy and wheaty (is that a word?) but also a bit sweet. The taste leans more heavily to the wheat side that the bock. For an 8 percent ABV beer, this hides its alcohol well. (But I am feeling it after about 250 mL.)

The body is good and smooth. It rolls right over my palate. It's light, like a wheat beer should be.

Overall this is a hell of a beer. It's probably going into my top 10 (No. 3 at the moment!) based on my score. I very highly recommend it, especially for Weizen fans and super-especially for fans of dunkles bier.

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

This one was a good find at the beer store. A 3 year old aged Aventinus specially packaged. From the information hanging off the bottle: "Therefore, in 1999, the Schneider brewery decided to age 240 cases of Aventinus each year in their historical ice cellar in Kelheim with each batch held for a minimum of 3 years." The result is quite yummy. Pours light brown in color with a haze. Smell is of bananas and yeast. Taste is heavenly. Bananas, lemon juice, minimal cloves. I wish I had a new one to compare against. Perhaps this is worth another trip back to the store! $5.49 for 500ml bottle. If you see it, it is worth it. Label says hints of softer chocolate, clay, and sherry when aged. Excuse me if I didn't pick up on all of these.

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

500ml bottle
Appearance: Poured a cloudy dark brown that had a huge head of foam. The head foam was so big, that I had to stop pouring half way through because it would have over flowed the glass.
Smell: It was bready, lots of cloves, and kind of spicy.
Taste: Malty, very wheaty, lots of spices, and at the end, it had some fruit taste in it.
Mouthfeel: Light, crisp, medium bodied with a nice wheat aftertaste. I really didn't feel that 8% alcohol content.
Drinkability: Resonabley priced for such an excellent and common weizenbock.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Chewy, malty. Something about this reminds me of marshmallows. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a chalice it's a dark color that gives a nice head with lacing on ze glass.
This is almost a meal in a bottle so it's not so highly drinkable in my mind but it's tasty enough to make you try to drink more than maybe you probably should.
Very good, very German, has always been very reasonabley priced as far as I have seen.
Try it on for size. I know I will try it again.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured from a 1 pint, 0.9 fl oz. bottle with date code on back into a tulip glass. As the beer sits in the glass it is a dark brown, holding it to the light reveals it to be dark reddish brown, a little murky, but carbonation is noticeable. Big tan head, at least 3-inches. I am somewhat disappointed that after a sip or two the head disappeared to form a tight ring around the glass with no lacing, that keeps this from a 5.

Smell: Malty, with burnt wheat field scent. Aromas of chocolate, toffee, banana, and plums or figs (kinda like a fig Newton bar, am I nuts?).

Taste: Malt with a nice wheat profile, a little sweet. Not as bready or citrusy as a straight wheat, but this is definitely not a "normal" wheat. Flavor of chocolate (not overbearing), banana, and...something else. A bit of alcohol as it warms near the end. Definitely tasty, there seems to be a lot here.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, medium to full bodied, filling. A little alcohol burn in the throat on the finish and it warmed my stomach.

Drinkability: A good beer, but it did not leave me wanting another. I don't know if my mood is right or what, but I was satisfied with just this one bottle. I may purchase it again.

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%

25oz dark brown bottle. Freshness date on label.
Pours a dark ruby-hued brown with a thick and lasting beige/tan head with loads of clinging lace.
A big sweet smell of molasses and brown bread, along with smells of cloves, bananas and citrusy hops.
The full malt body carries tastes of toffee, fresh rye bread, molasses, figs, bananas and peppery spices.
A light lemon and lime bitterness and countering pleasant basil-like herbal taste softens the hop bite.
A light sweet rum-like alcohol fuminess lingers in the background.
Nice complex, though well-structured brew!

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Deep caramel color that is a bit cloudy (which I prefer). It has a nice big dirty head and pretty good lacing as I drink it down.

Smell: Sweet and fruity, definitely loaded with wheat.

Taste: Starts out fruity and full of malt, thankfully there isn't an overbearing roasted malt flavor which I sort of expected; it is actually very smooth and complex. There seems to me to be some of the things I like in Belgians in here like fig and light vanilla flavor.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Decent body and fairly clean finish has me giving this an above average drinkability despite the ABV. In fact everyone at the table is eyeing my glass and normally I'd split the second half of this bottle amongst them... Not today! This one came up from Louisiana courtesy of Biglove (Thanks!) and I don't have any spares.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I've had this on tap many times, but this is the first time I've had it from the bottle and thus the first time I am reviewing it. This is one of my personal favs though.

This was poured into a tall hefe glass and exhibited a nice cloudy caramel color at the bottom of the glass and a rich brown at the top. Initial head was nearly white and a about two fingers tall, this settled out to a thin layer of bubbles on top.

Very nice smell, much like a hefe with its banana and clove aromas along with some other hints of dark fruits. This one is slightly different as there is more of an esther aroma and which is well balanced by a bit of wheat and malt.

This one presents itself with clove and bready malts with a typical wheat beer finish. I love this beer because of its simplicity but robust flavors. There is definately some alcohol nuances in the taste and my stomach.

Mouthfeel is full and coats the mouth well. Not much else to say here. Drinkability is only brought down by the alcohol level. I usually get this in the 500mL at the bar and won't have another as I'm usually quite topped off by the fullness of this one.

Overall, a must have. This is a very approachable high abv beer for almost anyone.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

500 mL bottle with a batch code on the back - served slightly chilled in a weizen glass. The initial pour leaves 6 inches of head to 3 inches of beer, but looks very nice the other way around. It takes several minutes to fit the whole bottle into the glass. Before the yeast it is brown with a reddish tint and after it is close to maroon and opaque. Lots of phenols. Bananas, cloves, pepper, lemons, chocolate, alcohol, yeast, and sweet sugary notes in the aroma. It has a medium body, a carbonation that is a bit sharp at the beginning, and leaves a warming sensation. Flavors include bananas, cloves, pepper, grass, caramel, bubblegum, chocolate, raisins, plums?, a sugary sweetness, alcohol, and yeast. A good brew, but, and I don't usually say this, it might benefit from less alcohol. Nevertheless, a tasty beer for the price.

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%

This one was so highly touted I had to give it a try.

Pours out an interesting murky brown color that's somewhere between dark iced tea and light cola. Big tan head that was impressively packed made me excited for my first sip.

Smells pretty wheaty, with some overtones of clove, chocolate, alcohol, banana, and even a bit of fresh pear.

Taste is a little bump in the road for me. It has an interesting mix of chocolate, caramel, and some clove and banana flavors I'd kind of expect from the style. My only problem, and I know it's supposed to be strong, is that I feel the alcohol is a bit over-the-top in the flavor. There's a pleasant clove element to the finish, but it's almost completely overpowered by the alcohol. It seemed a little more assertive than the 8% would warrant. Raisiny notes are there and fairly enticing, though.

Overall, I knid of went back and forth on this beer. It looked and smelled great, but then I hated the taste. As it warmed, I started to like it more and more, but it's definitely not one of my new favorites.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

This libation I give full credit to the BA nation for heading me in this direction. As with any new beer, you're not really sure what you're going to get- dark, light, heavy, foamy, whatever.

Poured caramel with an extremely fizzy head. The head eventually settled down to a consistent eight of an inch. Smells of huge berries and alcohol, fortunately the sweetness of the berries is not overpowering in its taste. Grainy and hearty robustness highlight this beers taste.

A wonderfully crafted beer, I will defiantly be looking for this in the future.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured a dark brown. Holding it up to light, one could see that the beer was unfiltered. There was a big head, which dissapated quickly.

The beer smelt of fresh bananas. The beer goes down a treat. Starts off with a fresh banana taste, which then mellows to a slight hoppiness, then a dry finish.

Not over carbonated so you can taste the flavours this beer has to offer.

I really reccommend this beer. Great.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Great weeizenbock, the standard by which others should be judged. Pours a caramel brown into the glass with about 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, some banana. Taste is exquisite. Caramel, toffee, banana, some nice yeasty spiciness. Mouthfeel is full, rich, creamy. A very drinkable beer for a higher ABV.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Just an all around great spring brew. Had the appearance of a bock with the smell and taste of a hefe-weizen. Looked like a coca-cola with a perfectly formed and long lasting white colored head.

Smelled like clove and wheat malt. Very sweet, perfectly spiced, and quite inviting. I could bury my nose in this all night, but eventually I'd end up drinking it all. Tastes like clove as well. The estery banana and bubblegum flavors are perfect. Great light berry flavors. The yeast profile is excellent

The mouthfeel is perfect. Medium to light bodied and well carbonated without being harsh. If I didn't see the 8% on the bottle, I would have thought this was in the high 5 range, because I could drink this all night.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%

Apperance: Hazy brown. It poured with a big frothy head, but it quickly faded.

Smell: Mostly the peppery/clovey phenols typical of German Hefes. A hint of some bock-like charactor. Some alcohol.

Taste: Again with the clove. Some banana. Again typical of Hefes. Wheaty. Rasins of prunes. Alcoholic as it warms a bit.
Really good.

Mouthfeel: Quite full bodied. Velvety smooth. Fairly high carbonation. Alcohol warming near the end.

Drinkability: Man. If you keep these too cold, you could easily drink 2 or 3 of these monsters and end up on your face. The classic example of the style. Outstanding.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

I had begun to lose faith in the wheatier beers, until this one came along. Finally, a wheat beer with some backbone. Pours a cloudy brown color with shades of amber shining through. The same delicate yeasty bananna flavorings are there, yet there's a nice rich malt presence to back it up. Plenty of complex spices and herbalness too. Very cakelike, sugary, and chocolatey, yet with a nice light mouthfeel and overall light vibe. It must be a challenge to brew a beer that is so light in character yet so complex. Bravo.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Presentation: The presentation was good to excellent for both the bottle and the beer. 16.9oz bottle was the last offering left over from BIF18. Was wrapped in commemorative paper bag labeled with events from 1999 and with a descriptive hangtag.

View: Pulled off the purple hangtag and ripped open the paper packaging. Had 1999 stamped on the back label and new and interesting graphics on the front. Poured a cloudy, rustic brown with loads of initial carbonation both in the brew and in the tan head. The head quickly diminished to a very tiny ring. I didn’t take points off for that, since this is an aged product with a relatively high ABV.

Smell: Caramel and dark fruits, not much hops to speak of, with some faint clove spices

Taste: Wheat bread, sweet candy, ripened and dried fruits, and molasses chocolate malts; slight alcohol taste and warmth; a little bit of spices thrown in there too. This is a delicious beer

Mouthfeel: Velvety silky smooth, with some lingering sweetness and buttery texture, like a well-done cordial. Initially very tingly with just the right amount of carbonation

Drinkability: The special 1999 aged Aventinus was a dangerously good beer, reminding me of chunky German wheat bread smothered in fresh spiced honey, one that I would drink again, assuming that I could find it

We sampled this prior to the last sports and social club game of the season for volleyball. We enjoyed the brew, and took the field with smiles on our faces. The game was won, and we were propelled into the finals. Many thanks to goodbyeohio for the hook up of the awesome brew

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Obtained as part of a trade with GClarkage.

This beer was NOT what I expected at first. Of course, no one plans to pour a 22 oz. pilsner glass of head. Just for ha-has, I decided to measure... TEN fingers! Quite amusing.

The aroma was definitely of dark wheat malt... also day-old bread, and acidic fruitiness. A definite yeastiness was there.

The taste was of slightly sweet, heavily carbonated wheat, with bananas, cloves, and yeast. The alcohol was present at the first sip.

I don't know exactly what I expected... I think I presumed it would be darker. It was good, but not as wonderful as I presumed it would be.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

2004
8.0% alc./vol.

Appearance – great ruby/orange body with rushing carbonation ; frothy off-white head with good staying power; minimal lace

Smell – banana; spice; yeast; caramel apple

Taste – banana and spice and some alcohol was nice; pleasantly malty for most of the ride; dominant yeast and malt close with a very light dose of bitterness; yeast and some tartness/sourness in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel & Drinkability – smooth moderate body to open; modest bridge; crisp, satisfying end

I’ve had only a few weizenbocks but this is certainly an expansion of my senses.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Many, many thanks to BA "Junior" for his hospitality in offering me this absolute gem... Consumed on 04.02.05...

This brew presented before me in its deep and dark hur with a light head, but one that left a little lacing as I continued on my journey through this brew. The age certainly changed some of the normal alcohol esthers that are in the nose of this brew, but in a very estute way. Both the aroma and flavor were distinct with many, rather complex layers of malty goodness, some spiciness, chocolate covered cherries [perhaps] and raisins or currants [perhaps]. A fantastic brew, and a special one at that... It is hard to make this brew much better, but this has obviously been achieved...

Prosit!

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried aging this beer for about 8 months but it didn't turn out so well, so the one I'm reviewing is fresh from a grocery store in TX. Although, it doesn't have a freshness date on it so I can't tell exactly how fresh. Poured a little bit cloudy amber color with a inch and a half head, which quickly dissipated and left absolutely no lacing.

The smell is very sweet with some malt and fig characteristics. The taste is for a split second malty and chocolately at first. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have even picked up on the chocolate if it wasn't listed on the bottle. That quickly gives way to a sweet and very fruity taste...cherries, figs, grapes, and other fruits. The finish has a lemony and grapefruit-like mild sour taste to it coupled with some vague herbs that linger a long time afterwards.

Kind of tastes like fruit juice but definitely has the weight and body of fruit juice plus carbonation. Overall, I think my expectations were a little too high for this beer but it's definitely one I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

I had this in a vertical with a fresh Aventinus and a '99 Aventinus. The fresh one was very clovey and bananany(?) with a nice wheat base and semi-sweet malt flavor. The '99 was much more dark chocolatey and vicious in mouthfeel with a heartier flavor, almost port like. The '01 was inbetween. It still had that spicey hefe flavor but not as intense and it had more port, chocolate notes than the fresh one. Kind of inbetween and a little muddled. I think aged Aventinus is prime after 6 years! This was still an awesome beer but not quite as good as either the fresh one or the '99. Fun experiment though!

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Deep mahogany brown in color with a large tan head which, after a couple of minutes, fades away completely. The lacing is quite minimal. There is a considerable amount of sediment present at the bottom of the bottle, most of which I swirled into the beer.

Aroma: Quite vinous character, by aroma alone, I might have taken this to be a wine. There are notes of dark fruit, spices, chocolate, and alcohol, but little of the banana character, which others have noted. Still, quite complex.

Taste: Distinctly spicy at the opening, clove notes are quite pronounced, with underlying fruit flavors, notably apple peel. A sweet and very warming alcohol note appears soon after. Following on is a brown sugar sweetness, and hints of banana, although quite restrained Towards the finish a spicy bitterness appears, unlike typical hop bitterness. Mild bitter chocolate notes appear at the finish. There is a lingering but quite mild bitterness that carries on well past the end of the taste.

Mouth feel: Smooth and rich, almost syrupy in character.

Drinkability/notes: A superb beer for cold weather. Would serve well paired with a chocolate dessert, or as dessert. An absolutely stunning beer.

Presentation: Packaged in a 16.9 ounce brown glass bottle with a pop top crown. Served in a standard pint tap glass.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

From bottle. Oh my! Loved this right from the first sniff. Pours translucent goldy brown with big foamy light tan head and plenty of fine effervescence. Big estery aroma with sweet caramel, banana and clove tones. Aroma is true to the taste, and it is so smooth that the reasonably high alcohol is barely noticeable. YUM!! Bummer..now I have to go back and down-rate my old favourite (Weinstephan Hefeweissbeir).

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance - Huge off-white head dissipates - no, make that disappears completely - quickly. Deep, deep copper or brown in color. Downright shitty head retention and no beer lace.

Smell - Rich, sweet malty aroma. It almost has a musty smell hidden in it. I also detect a fruity smell. There is some alcohol in the nose.

Taste - Chocolatey malty sweetness is the focus of the flavor. Alcoholic warmth is present. I also taste something like figs or raisins. This beer conjures up thoughts of Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. I am also reminded of dried fruit when I drink it.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated. I get mixed results for the body - it feels thick and thin at the same time. Maybe this is due to the utter lack of head on the beer.

Drinkability - This is a very tasty brew. I can see drinking a few of these in a sitting. The relatively high carbonation makes the beer feel sort of gritty.

Comments - Despite the appearance, this is a very good beer. It is sort of odd as well, because it has some characteristics commonly found in ales (fruitiness, gritiness). Overall, I'd say this is a complex beer. Despite my score, I'd recommend it to almost anyone.