Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Style: Weizenbock

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,117 | Ratings: 4,402
4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

A- The beer pours a murky brown color. The head is a thick, off-white color. I'm getting good lacing on the glass.

S- The beer is very yeasty and floral. I also detect a fair amount of citrus in the nose along. The alcohol isn't particularly well hidden, as I can smell it quite powerfully.

T- This beer is a wonderful wheat-bock combination. It is yeasty and gives off sugary flavors. I also detect a bit of vanilla, but it's fading.

M- The body of the beer is thick without being offensive. It has a smoothness to it.

D- This is a wonderful beer. The only thing that didn't agree with me so much is the very apparent alcohol smell. I'd still recommend this beer to be had seasonally, as it is very enjoyable but probably not in every setting.

4.64/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

**This beer is a staple to my fridge. I keep two or three in the house at all times. That said I never reviewed it before because I was too lazy to look up how to spell it correctly to find the page on here.

A: Nice rich brown with an opaque quality. Not hazy, but not crystal clear either...just like I like my wheat.

S: Subtle. It doesn't fly at you but there are distint toffee notes in there.

T: I just can't give a five because some day I may find something better and then I'd feel the need to come back and edit my post. I love this beer. If only this style would catch on and we would see more of it! Love the nice mellow flavors that make this a full body but sessionable beer.

M: Medium to heavy. Usually flavors kind of roll around the tongue but these feel as if they linger to the roof of your mouth...very nice.

O: Buy it. If you don't want it, by all means send it on to VA. For the price and flavor there is no better beer like this readily available in just about any market.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'd been eyeing this beer for a while, wondering what all the fuss was about. Finally picked it up, and I'm glad I did. What a treat.
Poured from half litre bottle, a hazy copper hue. with a finger thick head and spotty lacing. There's a prominent clove aroma mixed with a rich maltiness.
Huge wheat flavor upfront, which eventually finds a balance between wheat and malted barley flavors. This one is ridiculously drinkable, watch yourself!
Of all the beers I've had, this one is truly unique. An absolutely intriguing brew.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Served at cellar temp and poured into my Tripel Karmeliet glass.

Appearance is good. Dark purple colored brew that's hard to see through, although can if you look hard enough. Fast carbonation bubbles rise to the large thick pearl white head. After the brew settles for a bit, the head dies down to a very thin soapy film.

Smell is very good. Deep aroma of fresh wheat and sweet candied malts. Bubblegum and banana.

Taste is very good. Very much like the smell; banana and bubblegum with sugary malts. Frosted min-wheats cereal. Aftertaste is yellow-apple and pear-like. Very complex for the style.

Mouthfeel is good. Spicy on the palate. Medium to light body. Finishes tingly with a small burn. Slightly over-carbonated.

Drinkability is good. Another one or two would be ok before the carbonation took it's toll on my palate.

Overall: A classic example of the style and a brew I admittedly over-look when searching for a sweet rich brew. After this time around i don't see that happening again. Recommended

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Holy Goodnight what a beer...

Ahhemmm..I mean....Pours into a hefe-glass with a shaded redwood color, the stable and very present cloud of toasted ivory foam, hovers overhead. Warm banana spice cake tones find their way into your mind via the incredible nose of this Weizenbock. Malt and sweet plum flavors give way to a perfectly balanced, slightly tart, dark fruit finish. The mouth feel of this beer puts it over the top, giving it all the qualities of a incredibly crafted brew. The wheaty, medium bodied fresh finish lingers favorably until the next sip.
Brunnen getan, meine Deutschen Brüder, gut getan……Pairs as well with bacon wrapped bockwurst, as it does with a medium rare filet mignon...enjoy

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

A - A dark, rich brown-amber color. Poured a two-finger head that quickly dissipated into a one-finger head that took longer to dissolve. Minimal lacing.

S - A faint smell of crisp apple and pear along with a faint floral scent. Hard to detect but once you do, it smells great.

T - The taste is complex and hard to describe, but the initial taste can be broken down into the following flavors: plum, apple, pear, cinnamon, allspice, orange, banana. From there the flavor progresses into a malty, bready flavor that's actually quite nice on the back of the tongue.

M - Smooth with medium carbonation. Tingles only slightly and is not overpowering. Overall, the mouthfeel of this beer is what makes it truly exceptional; it enhances the experience while highlighting the more subtle flavors.

Overall, this beer is fantastic. It's solidly built, beautiful to look at, and both feels and tastes great. I would highly recommend it.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a dark brown with a slight orange tint. Biggish head that recedes rather quickly. General banana/clove smell of german wheat beers, with a significant extra something spicy. The taste never fails to baffle me with its complexity and deliciousness. Very malty and sweet for sure, but what it is that makes it so amazing, I do not know. Is there some black cherry in there? Maybe some toffee..Moderate to high carbination. Hops help to balance with a bit of bitterness but no noticable hop flavor, which doesn't take away from it at all. You would guess it had an above average abv based on the thickness alone, but its so tasty that it doesn't take away from the drinkability. I'm just thankful that one of the best german beers is one of the easiest to find as well.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass

A - Decent-sized head, good retention and nice lacing.

S - Strong malty yeastness. Dried fruits. Sweet.

T - More dried fruits (definitely getting the banana and clove profile mentioned by most reviewers).

M - Very smooth and almost creamy. Damn you Germans make a nice beer.

D - Fairly good, if you take the 8.2% ABV into consideration.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Pours as hazy brown with a bubbly light tan head that dissipates. Turns into a much darker mahogany as it sits.

Smell: Misleadingly light. Hints of banana bread, the kind with walnuts on it.

Taste: Full flavored, again with the banana bread but with the addition of a slightly bitter/sour note. Malty finish.

Feel: Full bodied, quite creamy with a little bite throughout.

Overall: I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $4 for a bottle, and I'd be hard pressed to find something as good for the same money. This beer makes me proud to be at least part German!

3.42/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours a dark brown with a big foamy, quickly-dissipating head.

The smell is really interesting. Sort of chocolatey with a warm earthiness. Maybe some dark fruits. Hard to describe, but very nice. In fact, the smell is the nicest thing about it.

The taste is... well... OK. Not as strong as the smell. Slightly hoppy with a bit of the aforementioned dark fruits.

I couldn't drink a great deal of this, but I wouldn't turn it down, either.

Warning: first weizenbock review

Appearance: Poured into an Ayinger hefeweizen glass. Good fluffy, 4 finger head. No lacing, but the faintest head is retained throughout the beer. Very nice light brown, amber color.

Aroma: With the smell of something like a fruit cobbler, I know this is gonna be good. Bananas, apples, faint spices. Very nice

Taste: I had heard people say this before, so maybe I was somewhat expecting it, but this really does taste like a Trappist, or at least Belgian dark ale. Complex, yet perfectly balanced. Some baked fruits. The wheat is not omnipresent like in hefeweizens (the only other wheat style I am somewhat familiar with), but there are hints of the same spices such as clove. It is very sweet, but not overpowering, like some chocolate stouts. There is kind of a slight butterscotch taste. The faint (but tasty) hops kick in at just the right time to override the sweetness, and then quickly fade. But the balance is key here. Not the flavors as individuals, but how the brewers have managed to bring all of the flavors into a flavor of their own. I continue to be amazed as I look at the bottle and see the 8.2% ABV, as the alcohol is almost completely not present (vs. the Aventinus Eisbock).

Mouthfeel: Smooth, pillowy. The head at the beginning blends perfectlt with the beer. Enough head retains to keep this balance up.

Drinkability: Holy #*%&($($($*@%!!! I figured that this would just be another beer that got rave reviews but just wouldn't be my thing. If I had the money I would just throw massive keg parties with nothing but Aventinus. At 8.2% ABV, this is nothing to scoff at, but I can barely taste it. Actually I can see myself getting in trouble with this brew. As the alcohol really does sneak up on you, it shouldn't be sessionable, but it just tastes so good!!!! Nonetheless, I hope to have this in my fridge more often in the future.

Note: I had originally thought that this was a regular doppelbock, but as I have not had a doppelbock either, my warning still applies

4.61/5  rDev +7%

I once went to a bar,
Flying saucer to be precise.
Where all the skirts are
Short, which is nice.
I desired a Matilda, never had it on tap
And I was told that Matilda was all out.
I sighed and said crap,
And disappointed I began to pout.
What beer would I drink?
What's new under bocks I thought?
I looked at the list and began to think,
And this new name caught
My eye. Its name was Aventinus.
So I said to the pretty waitress
Bring me an Aventinus and you should have seen us
My friends I and I with our noses press
To the pint glass
Catching a whiff of the wheat
And I, not shamed to admit, a peek at her ass.
What can I say? It's a nice treat.
We smelled the beer for three minutes,
Before I allowed a taste,
Which gave our minds all time to computes
The craziness of a wheat dopplebock. Then in haste
I took a sip of this dopplebock,
With the wheat and
I simply declared fock
As I took a stand
And declared this was rivaled by noother.
The look and head
Which may appear like manyother
Are not all that's here. The slight smell of bread,
And the wheat, oh! the wheat,
Why in a dopplebock, why not?
I wish my nose could take a weekend retreat
With this beer on a yacht.
Remembering Aventinus gives me a chubby,
Maybe it was the girl and her rear?
But instead of rubbing this stubby,
Let me say - you must try this beer.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

This beer has a deep brown opaque color. It has strong fruit smell, particular bananas and some slight prune overtones. The beer is moderately carbonated but that is balanced with the strong banana flavor. It was served on-tap with a slight head that left moderate lacing that did not stay long. The taste is sweet through and through, giving it a balanced flavor. It has a smooth taste and finish. An excellent on-tap selection.

3.32/5  rDev -23%

Dark, rich and sweet. The wheat base to the bock gives it a tall, white rockey head and removed all astringency from the mouthfeel. Aromas of cloves and very, very slight banana and vanilla aspects. The malty bock backbone and lager fermentation suppress most of the yeasty/bready fresh aspects and give it some legs in the bottle.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

It's been a while since I've had a a Dopplebock - this is a great one to come back to.

A - Dark brown with a tinge of dark maple. Heavily hazed, almost opaque. The head came on strong and left quicly with little lacing. Great carbonation flowing to the top.

S - Yeast and spice with dark fruits (grapes maybe?)

T - Med body with fig like malty sweetness, hints of clove in the finish. Lots of carbonation. Slight warming at the end followed by more carbonation.

M - Prickles of carbonation on the tongue.

D - Drinkable for the abv. No more than two for me though.

One of my favorite doppelbocks.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Poured caramel brown into a flute. Off-white head that faded quickly. Syrupy look.

S: Caramel, a bit of alcohol, plum, clove.

T: Caramel, almost maple taffee-like. Maltiness lingers on. A bit of clove pokes through. No bitterness whatsoever. Definately sweet but in a refined way.

M: Nice carbonation. Kinda thick, syrupy, not dry at all.

D: I could probably drink 2. The sweetness would get in the way after that.

Overall, a very drinkable beer although on the sweet side. I'm not used to this style but this was a very good introduction to it for me.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

Mmm an all time favorite of mine. A treat in a bottle. Poured from a 16 oz bottle into a weizen. No born on date is found.

A - Fluffy chunky two finger head that doesn't quit (I've always wanted to say that in a review). Head has a creamy color to it. Dark brown colors with a slight orange hue. Head sticks around til the end with lots of lacing. An absolutely magnificent looking beer.

S - Banana, bubble gum. Spicy, yeasty.

T - Bready, banana, bubble gum, spicy. Alcohol shows slightly at the end. Finishes with grains, wheat, bock and caramel flavors. So frigging delicious.

M - Very balanced with a medium body (its almost thick and creamy in someways). Watch yourself with this one though. The alcohol is so perfectly masked so imbibe slowly! Carbonation is perfect. Goes down so easily.

D - Could have this anytime, be it the dead of winter or on a warm sunny day. Just watch yourself though. Aesthetically beautiful with a world class flavor and balance. Enjoy!

4.41/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500 ml bottle dated 12.265 (4 months old)
A- Muddy looking medium-deep brown in color, pours a two fingers thick creamy white head, lacing and retention are ok
S- Dark wheat aroma, clove, Caramel malt, dark fruit sweetness, slight alcohol
T- Wheat, banana and clove with a nice crisp spice to it, caramel malts, dark fruit, some alcohol, flavors linger on some, diverse and delicious.
M- Medium/full body, a little creamy, gives off a carbonated zip
O- Best of both worlds of a Dopplebock and Hefeweizen in this one, no one flavor really dominates but it all goes together really nicely.Really good, It made my mouth water some. Must get more.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a solid dark amber with a light head, the essence of any bock. When held up to the light the redness can really be shown, but in a medium lit room it is a very nice, not quite black amber. The most distinguishable characteristic of this beer is banana. It is overall fruity and quite sweet, but the banana overshadows all. Other flavors present are chocolate, cola nut, and apple. there is not initial hit to the pallete, rather the malt steadily accumulates, first with banana flavor, then trailing with the others. As it warms up the flavor changes noticably, becoming even sweeter and more balanced amongst the flavors. The mouthfeel is a bit more carbnated than most other dopplebocks, and I like it. Perhaps I'm partial to my celebrator, but this beer makes a great substitute for dopplebock when you need some variety.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this at Max's during their German Beer Fest. A murky dark amber color, with no head. Agitated but no head appear, ditto with any kind of lacing.

Smell of cloves and some yeasty wheat malt.

A sweet taste, did not taste much wheat which is a good thing for me, because i'm not big on wheat beers, and the alcohol was there too. A medium mouthfeel but the alcohol was noticable.

The best beer I probably drank out of the 5 I had at the fest, so I could drank it for a minute or two.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle; dated 2008. The bottle comes in a paper wrapping covered with factoids about that year -- a fun little read. Pours the same beautiful dark red/brown as the non-aged Aventinus.
Smell: amazing what 6 years in a cave does to this beer. Gone is the big banana/ester/dark fruit smell that dominates the non-aged version. Now there are more malts, bread, but also a different fruity aroma more like a good wine.
Taste: Wow. Just the best German beer I've ever had. More like a doppelback than a wheat beer. Whereas the non-aged version of this reminds me of a deluxe hefe, this beer reminds more of, say, Ayinger Celebrator, but so much better and more complex.
Mouthfeel is smooth. No other word for it.
Overall, as noted, the most interesting and best German beer I've yet had.

Poured into a Aventinus glass at 55 degrees. Perfect

A - Gorgeous. I mean thick white head of like 2+ fingers with a enticing brown colo for the body. Amazing retention and lacing.

S - Wheat aromas predominate, followed but a rich caramel malty sort of sweetness. Banana and cloves are present from the yeast strain.

T - Same as the nose but better. I mean its hard to put to words how balanced and delicious this beer is. You cant stop drinking it. I mean i went through a full Aventinus glass in like 4 minutes because I constantly wanted to taste the beautiful flavors. The alcohol notes do sort of pop through right at the end but its in enjoyable way.

M - Perfect. the creamy sort of wheat feel to it which is just perfectly balanced. Medium bodied not too much and not too little.

O - This is easily the best Weiznbock in the world. Weinhestephaners comes close but this one is in a league of its own. Schneider & Son is da bomb.

4.31/5  rDev 0%

What a great looking beer. Extremely rough and unfiltered. You get the sense that this beer looks just like those consumed hundreds of years back. Pours a very murky and muddly brown. Not overly dark but a bit cloudy. Loads of sediment only add to the allure There's a pretty nice head and a bit of lacing to match The truly great aspect of this beer's appearance however, lies in the rawness. Very intense.

The smell is one of complex sweetness and spice. Nothing mindblowing, but pleasant if not intrigueing nonetheless.

Tasting this organic brew was not the slightest bit disappointing. Incredibly smooth, presenting some mild fruit (pear, banana, non-citrus) initially, and providing an almost cinammon/milmint-like spice toward the end (the bottle claims clove). Finishes extremely cleanly with a very pleasant and balanced yeastiness. The alcohol never interferes with the smoothness, yet does manage to add a pleasant "glow" toward the end (hence the 8.00% abv).

You just want to deliberately sip this brew over and over again to extract out all the greatness. Precisely what a German bier should be. Makes me want to move back. G schneider und Sohn sollen rightig stolz auf dieses Bier sein.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Eyes. incredible cream head. goood carbonation and yellow pale color
Nouse: Aroma was citrus, clove, frutal banana aroma.
Tonge: The flavor is good and very complex. Many fruity notes malt wheat yeast and citrus. it is very cream and smooth.
Very Niceee

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from bottle into weizen glass

A - Brown/mahogany with a huge off-white head that is enhanced by the weizen glass. Awesome head retention.

S - Strong wheat character and a hint of grapes make up the aroma profile for me. Pretty bold aromas; very nice nose.

T&M - Tasty complex malt backbone - bready and caramel malts are most prominent. Dark fruits complement the malts. 8.2% abv, but I can't taste any hints of alcohol - maybe a slight warming affect during the finish, but that's all. A full body mouthfeel with lots of flavors that simply last. Smooth with appropriate carbonation.

D - High abv and a full body don't make it the most easy to drink beer, but it tastes really damn good. Definitely a brew I'll buy in the future to lean back and relax with. Need to make another note of the pronounced fruity esters of this beer.