Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,121 | Ratings: 4,415
4.31/5  rDev 0%

What a great looking beer. Extremely rough and unfiltered. You get the sense that this beer looks just like those consumed hundreds of years back. Pours a very murky and muddly brown. Not overly dark but a bit cloudy. Loads of sediment only add to the allure There's a pretty nice head and a bit of lacing to match The truly great aspect of this beer's appearance however, lies in the rawness. Very intense.

The smell is one of complex sweetness and spice. Nothing mindblowing, but pleasant if not intrigueing nonetheless.

Tasting this organic brew was not the slightest bit disappointing. Incredibly smooth, presenting some mild fruit (pear, banana, non-citrus) initially, and providing an almost cinammon/milmint-like spice toward the end (the bottle claims clove). Finishes extremely cleanly with a very pleasant and balanced yeastiness. The alcohol never interferes with the smoothness, yet does manage to add a pleasant "glow" toward the end (hence the 8.00% abv).

You just want to deliberately sip this brew over and over again to extract out all the greatness. Precisely what a German bier should be. Makes me want to move back. G schneider und Sohn sollen rightig stolz auf dieses Bier sein.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Eyes. incredible cream head. goood carbonation and yellow pale color
Nouse: Aroma was citrus, clove, frutal banana aroma.
Tonge: The flavor is good and very complex. Many fruity notes malt wheat yeast and citrus. it is very cream and smooth.
Very Niceee

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from bottle into weizen glass

A - Brown/mahogany with a huge off-white head that is enhanced by the weizen glass. Awesome head retention.

S - Strong wheat character and a hint of grapes make up the aroma profile for me. Pretty bold aromas; very nice nose.

T&M - Tasty complex malt backbone - bready and caramel malts are most prominent. Dark fruits complement the malts. 8.2% abv, but I can't taste any hints of alcohol - maybe a slight warming affect during the finish, but that's all. A full body mouthfeel with lots of flavors that simply last. Smooth with appropriate carbonation.

D - High abv and a full body don't make it the most easy to drink beer, but it tastes really damn good. Definitely a brew I'll buy in the future to lean back and relax with. Need to make another note of the pronounced fruity esters of this beer.

2.58/5  rDev -40.1%

Here goes….another one down the hatch, a few more of these and I wont be able to judge a thing. Anyways, the head come in a shade of off-white that is often associated with cheap white walls. The bier color is…..um….root beer candy brown. The aroma is that of a lemon/citrus hefe. Slightly off-colored from most hefe smells. It tastes like a burnt orange peel soaked in a light hefe-weizen. Brewed for the hefe lovers only, and not for the beginner hefe drinker.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

This poured a brownish red with a small slightly tan head that managed to remain pretty well despite the fact that i did not give it much of a vigorous pour. I'll just have to try it again and pour with more energy. The smell was dominantly fruity and sweet, with a hint of yeast. I picked out apples and raisons, with a bit of caramel. It actually smelled a bit like a caramel apple to me, very pleasant. The taste was equally as pleasant, sweet and malty with a hint of caramel and fruit while also spicy and yeasty. Very complex smooth and tasty. Medium carbonation and body combine for a very good mouth feel, and smooth drinkabilty. I never got a sense of the 8%ABV. Overall a wonderful brew, and my first venture into the world of wheat ales or doppelbocks, but it will definitely not be my last.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow, i like this one. Cloudy, well carbonated with a active off-white head. Toasted malt and a fruity (banana) aroma jumps at your nose. Smooth, spicy and clove just begin to describe the taste. The alcohol presence is comfortably warming. I'm dissapointed i only have one, wish i bought more.Well deserving of it's high ranking.

Before you try Aventinus, you must know that there are BIG differences between fresh Aventinus and vintage bottles from the brewery. I'm reviewing both here, but my ratings pertain to vintage Aventinus. In my experience, a 4- to 5-year-old bottle is among the top 2 or 3 beers available today, while a fresh bottle is in the top 10. As such, a 5-year-old bottle gets a perfect 5.0, while a fresh bottle is about a 4.7 or a 4.8.

AFTER 5 years, Aventinus starts to break down. A 6-year-old bottle might rate a 4.0 or worse, so bear that in mind and aim for 4 or 5 years of age.

Appearance -- (Recent vintage) After a solid "weissbier pour" from a 500-mL bottle into my Aventinus glass (which is quite distinctive), I examine the beer from head to foot. This stuff serves up a whopping four-plus fingers of creamy, firm, off-white head, which lingers for over two minutes before settling into a quarter-inch cap for the remainder of my drink. Solid lacing leaves evidence of each sip. The body of the beer -- and this may be partly due to the glass -- fades from a deep, rich blackish-purplish-brown at the top to a deep amber at the bottom. Even from a "fresh" bottle, there are visible chunks of sediment floating in the beer.

(Five-year-old vintage) Similar pour, same glass. Two to three fingers of off-white head, which recede within about a minute and leave only a filmy cap. Lacing is minimal. Vintage Aventinus is marginally more brown than the fresh stuff, but man, it still looks great in the glass. Of considerable note, the yeast becomes much less chunky with age, blending with the body of the beer much as the flavors coalesce over time.

Smell -- (Recent vintage) Well, this is a wheat beer, but it smells like something altogether unique. Then again, if you don't like wheat beers, you may not like this one, either. I smell dried fruits (e.g., raisins, dates), honey, and the faintest metallic twinge. Oddly, this is somehow compelling, rather than off-putting.

(Five-year-old vintage) With age, the aroma sweetens and warms, and the metallic note disappears. Dried-fruit odors still dominate, but a wholesome wheatiness ties it all together. Scents of toffee and burnt caramel are also apparent...there's a lot going on here, but it all makes sense after a few whiffs. Stunning.

Taste -- (Recent vintage) Truly hard to describe. This is the "biggest" wheat beer out there, in my experience -- with the noted exception of Aventinus Eisbock. Sure, you'll detect some of that signature weissbier breadiness, but this beer is about more than that. I pick up brown sugar, dates, raisins, burnt caramel, and a heavy dose of malt. There's also a toasted-grain quality to this beer that I've never tasted elsewhere. Again, totally unique.

(Five-year-old vintage) Still huge, and still completely unique. The appearance/smell/taste/mouthfeel experience is the most integrated beer-drinking experience you're likely to find. The flavors listed above are the main attraction, but with age, they merge to form a strikingly unusual whole. Sweet, savory, fruity, malty, and earthy all at once. A masterpiece.

Mouthfeel -- (Recent vintage) As an avid wheat beer drinker, I find this one to be heavier and thicker in the mouth than most. The sediment in this one really is chunkier than that of a standard hefeweizen, and you'll feel it going down. Honestly, this is a mild drawback for me; I'd prefer the yeast to distribute itself more evenly throughout the glass. The sediment in a glass of fresh Aventinus is akin to what you might find in a particularly "dirty" Belgian abbey ale.

(Five-year-old vintage) The formerly chunky sediment is now an integral component of the beer's body. This elevates the mouthfeel to something uniquely sublime...think "thick chocolate milk," but with malty, yeasty, mildly carbonated alcohol. Coats the throat, to great effect.

Drinkability -- (Recent vintage) This is where the vintage stuff really shines, by comparison. A fresh bottle of Aventinus is some appreciably potent stuff, especially for a wheat beer. Between the the big taste, the big mouthfeel, the chunky sediment, and the relatively high ABV (by wheat beer standards), one bottle of this is probably enough for one sitting. But it does leave you wanting more -- this is a beer you'll think about for days after you drink it, identifying subtleties you couldn't quite place while drinking it.

(Five-year-old vintage) Whatever alcohol heat you feel in a fresh bottle has faded into the background with a few years of aging. I still don't think I could put away more than a half-liter of this in one sitting, simply because it's so rich. Drinking more than one bottle would be like eating half a cheesecake -- albeit a delicious, potentially life-altering cheesecake.

Aventinus is a truly unique beer, and required drinking for any fan of wheat beers. In fact, it's strongly recommended for ANY beer drinker.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Served from bottle.

Cloudy-murky nut brown appearance.

Smell of overall spiced sweetness. Banana chocolate yeasty clove

Taste deep and complex . very balanced up front. sweet spiced caramel and light fruity chocolate molds into a lingering crispness

smooth and silky in the mouth at first with fair carbonation. leaves the mouth feeling crisp and acidic.

Very enjoyable beer! very complex. I haven't decided yet if the crispy acidic end is something I'm a fan of: but it does buzzz....

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Classic bready doppelbock smell hits upon pouring. Large head but dissipates quickly - no problem there. Velvet smoothness with a warming, flavorful finish makes for a solid drinkability. No off notes or rubbing alcohol hints.

I look forward to comparing this German classic to some of my favorite holiday doppelbocks. I will definitely pick up some Aventinus again.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Deep brown, reddish-brown when held up to light. Good head at first, but this soon dissipates to the edge of the glass. Some slight lacing.

S - Bananas, sweet and chocolate malts blend very nicely. This almost produces a bacon/salty quality, or something like it. But hey, when is bacon ever not appropriate? Also, a wheat malt presence

T - Bananas and sweet malt, mainly, with wheat characteristics. Very, very small hops flavor in the finish. What prevents this from being overly sweet is the full carbonation. Which brings us to...

M - Almost too carbonated. But as stated above, this is required for taste balancing. But it does give the impression of a thin body, which I don't think is the case.

D - Very refreshing, excellent flavor make this one of the best tasting weizenbocks around. Very easy to sip, with no indication of alcohol.

4.44/5  rDev +3%

This one poured with little head but I didn't give it quite a rigourous pour. The color is an amber brown, very similar to Chimay Red.

The nose is very strong and you can pick up on the hops, fruit notes (apples and raisons) as well has the the great yeast that goes into this brew. I had never had a doppelbock and I don't think this one was the best place to start beings as it was dominated by its yeast. Still, this is a great beer. A ton of complexity here, and also a very smooth brew. I compared it to Rare Vos (Ommegang) to my friends but pointed out that it managaes to be even more drinkable and smooth even with its greater alcohol content. Great beer!

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Pours an opaque woody chocolate brown with an effervescent off white head that dissipates quickly, but hugs the edges of the surface, (and returns upon swirling). Small amount of yeast sediment on the bottom. The nose is classic wiezen, sweet and sour, yeasty . I don't know if I have the words to explain this beer, a complex flavor. Fruity (sour apple) and alcoholic esters. The yeast is prominent in the finish, as it should be, but the malt is balanced. Woody notes, maybe oak, reminds me a bit of scotch.

The mouthfeel is slick and full but medium body, made lighter by the carbonation throughout. As for drinkability, this beer is a great example of the style, easily one of the most complex and well balanced versions I've had. The sour notes overwhelm the alcohol,(until it warms) making it barely noticable, for a beer this strong, and this drinkable, a dangerous combination. If this is your first, get up yourself to get the second, it might hit you...

Notes; This is the first beer (of those I have not had) on the top 50 list that I went out and bought based on BA rank. I now understand exactly how valuable BA is as a resource.... thanks all.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours with a moderate head with very good retention. Looks dark but when held up to the light it is a cloudy amber color. Fairly intense carbonation that invites you to drink more. The smell is a strong spicy fruitiness. Very malty taste with bits of pepper, cloves, and banana showing through. The aftertaste is bitter but not overwhelmingly so. I could have a few of these, but the high alcohol level might limit that. Very enjoyable beer that I plan on getting again.

3.15/5  rDev -26.9%

Huge head, with a cloudy red amber look to it.
Malty, fruity in the nose.
You can definitely feel the carbination that leaves your tongue tingly.
The taste of chocalate,spices, coffee ,and what seems to be bananas, that for me left a unpleasant after taste. You can taste
the sweetness of the fruits, and sense the high alcohol content.
Still a good experience, but not sure how many more I'll have of this beer.

4.18/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a powerful looking beer. Thick brown and hazy with a big billowing light-tan head. I love wheat beers, but sometimes I'm in the mood for something heavier....this is the best of both worlds. Smooth yeast aroma. Complex flavors...spice, cloves, banana. Not too fruity. And surprisingly creamy for a wheat beer, but still finishes crisp. Very full and chewy in the mouth...slightly malty. The only problem is a slight ethanol bite I get every few sips. Not an everyday beer, but amazing for special occasions.

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 0.5l bottle into an Aventinus glass.

A wonderful hazy caramel brown with a pillowy white head which recedes to a thin layer. The lace is a little sticky on the glass, leaving spots of white foam as the glass is emptied.

A very nice smell, dominated by sweet and tart fruits - red apples. There are notes of caramel with a grainy base.

The red apples are on the flavor as well. Less sweet than the aroma. Actually quite interesting and balanced. An especially whole-wheat bready finish which cleans up the tart flavors and the gentle hop profile.

The palate is a bit thick and heavy on this beer. The carbonation is present, but the beer is chewy.

I found this to be an interesting, fairly easy to drink beer. When I poured it, I didn't really feel like drinking a whole pint, but I wanted to try this beer. After getting into it, my attitude was turned around. The heavy palate, however, made it a bit tougher to get through.

A good change of pace beer. It is a bit difficult to find where this beer will fit in. It's not a session beer, and with 0.5l bottles it's not an apéritif or an interest beer.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

A - the dark coffee color seemed almost totally opaque until I held my glass up to a strong light revealing the slightest glint of amber. The bubbles streaming up the surface tossed around the ample supply of yeast. It produced a thin head nonetheless held up for a while.

S - smell was subtle (full disclosure: I was a little stuffed up with spring allergies) but complex with traces of ripe fruit, dates, and maybe even a little leather.

T- there is so much going on here. The fruit and date hinted at in the nose are here with some cloves and a balanced but unmistakable alcohol warming that lingers. Delicious.

M- this criterion is the toughest for me to evaluate (in general-not just with this beer) but I know what I like... And this feels great in my mouth.

D- doubt this was intended as a session beer but I could (and have) drink 3 or 4 of these in a row before the ABV caught up with me.

This is absolutely one of my favorite beverages at the moment.

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

A great Monday night 3-dollar tap at Toronado SD.

A- Cloudy copper/amber in color in my big, Adventinus glass. 2 finger white head, no lacing.
S- Malty. Some cloves and banana in there too.
T- Like a malty weiss, though a bit more complex. Long and a bit sweet.
M- This is where it excels, I think. Carbonation and maltiness combine to make it very satisfying.
D- Good. Easy down the gullet.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

Well, here I am stuck in my apartment on a Friday so I can pack up for a move. I made sure to buy a new beer to try to give myself a moment of procrastination zen. Enter Aventinus.

I do not have the crazy Aventinus glass, but I do have a tall Weizen glass that has a bigger than normal bubble at the top. Close enough, right? Right. So I poured the beer and it produced about an inch of creamy, slightly tan head that subsided to a centimeter or so thick for the rest of the tasting. The color is an attractive deep reddish brown, like a dark cherry oak wood floor. There is some cloudiness that prevents much light from getting through.

The smell is really enjoyable. It reminds me of some of the stouts I have had recently. It has a nice sweet oak smell. Hints of nut and roast mixed in with fruit (grape/raisins). Some very slight hints of spearmint the further I got down the glass. I was so intoxicated by the smell that I almost forgot to drink some. Anyway, the taste is very parallel to the nut and grape smell. It has a unique roasty oak taste backed by subtle sweetness. This is an exceptionally crafted and balanced beer.

The body of the beer is light to maybe medium light. There is a moderate amount of carbonation which leads to a crisp bite and a slightly dry finish.

Overall, I am extremely pleased I bought this beer. It was kind of like a blind date, because I knew nothing about the beer before purchasing it and I was nervous about the possibility of choosing a bad beer on a otherwise crappy night. Put this on my list of favorite beers. Check! Well, back to packing my junk up for now. Cheers!

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Bought a 1pt .9oz bottle for $2.49. Totally worth it for this amazing beer. This is one of my favorite brews of all time. It's not often that I give a 5 for taste but this one deserves every point. Poured a cloudy brown hue. Very nice fizzy head with good lacing. Very spicy smell. Can smell the wheat and malts right away. Tastes amazing. Not sure how anyone can give this less than a 4.5. I gave it a five. Wonderful weizenbock. Yummy malts and fruity spices. 8% is a decent amount of alcohol. Goes very well with almost any meal. Try it out. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

This beer pours dark brown with a hint of the wheat color shining through at the edges. Pours a solid head. The smell reminds me of a golden field of wheat that got busy with some nice heady malt. It has a very complex taste, the dark malt dances on a beautiful moonlit night with spice of the wheat and the yeast. It is a marriage made by the beer angels.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Wow! and wow again. In the beer dictionary a picture of this is filed under wheat dopplebock.

Poured a nice dark brown with a lively tan head of 3 fingers, laced well as the head left slightly cloudy as you would expect a wheat, bottle conditioned beer to be..

The Aromna was nice and yeasty, malts and fruits, clove and bannana.

The taste was very well balanced between the spiceiness of the clove and a hint of bannana, a wee bit of hoppiness but not so much as to linger very long.

Mouthfeel was medium with a cleaniness that was outstanding (I even poured the bottom into the glass to get the full yeast flavors after I finished my glassfull)Just a lingering of fruit but not too sweet, not too tart, just right for me!

Overall BUY THIS ONE! Cross statelines to find it if you have to. This will be in my fridge almost constantly. At $3.99 for a 500 ml bottle it is a great buy.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice thick, creamy head, the color of the beer is gorgeous! It's at once brown with purple tints, some red and black too. Head lasts a little too little, but it's very large. Smell is awesome too, I get some raisins, banannas, maybe a hint of toffee. Taste-spectacular! Absolutely delicious, almost "chewy", it tastes so incredibly rich, it's almost sinful. High marks for this beer all around.

4.44/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Poured a deep mahogany color with a thick, foamy, eggshell-colored head. Good head retention.

Smell: Rich malt aroma, with a strong fruity character. Typical bananas and also (oddly) cantaloupe. Also has an earthy smell, almost like damp, overturned soil. Finally some hints of anise and clove spiciness.

Taste: Tart, lively tang immediately upon consumption. Malt and caramel show up with fanfare halfway through, along with faint chocolate notes and hops. Finish is strongly banana, with subdued hop character, raisins, and noticable alcohol burn. Also a faint taste of cloves.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. More effervescent than your usual doppelbocks, but less effervescent than a standard hefe-weizen.

Drinkability: Reasonably so, although the alcohol might be a limiting factor.

Overall: This was a marvelously complex beer, very similar in tone to Wolnzacher Roggenbier. And the fact that the high malt content comes primarily from wheat malt gives this beer an interesting character that few other beers can match. Recommended.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance -- Dark and cloudy, unfiltered appearance. Nice white head with watery lacing. Very inviting.

Smell -- Like a hefe weizen with caramel, brown sugar and raisins. Or like some type of homemade fruit bread. It's complex and very enjoyable.

Taste -- My only benchmark here is a hefe weizen. It tastes like a hefe weizen with burnt or caramelized characteristics. Reminds me of bakery in a way.

Mouthfeel -- Medium, but on the heavier side.

Drinkability -- I find this beer to be quite enjoyable and am looking forward to trying more of this style. It is extremely drinkable, but at $3.19 per 500ml bottle I won't be drinking a lot of it.