Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH
Germany | website

Style: Weizenbock

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,110 | Ratings: 4,384
4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Pours a hazy rust brown with glimmers of orange at the edges of the glass. There's a noticeable amount of carbonation crawling up the edge of the glass, very aggressive. A thick tan head sits atop the brew and continues to regenerate with this heavy supply of bubbles. There didn't seem to be a terrible amount of sediment in this bottle, even though it is unfiltered and bottle conditioned.

S: Very sweet at first, I initially get the aroma of chocolate covered fruit. There's also a definite clove scent, and maybe even some caramel (there's alot going on here!). I gives off that unique Belgian-y aroma, even though it's not. Once I let the beer warm up a little, the chocolate aroma makes more of a prominent impression.

T: Like no other beer I've ever tried, the Aventinus changed immensely over the course of my tasting. At first, I got mostly a sugary sweetness paired with mild spice. I can definitely see where other reviewers get that "stewed fruit" taste from. There's really no bitterness at all to this beer, just a nice vanilla end at the back of the throat. Again, I must recommend that you pace yourself with this one. As the beer warms up, the flavors start to mellow out as the sweetness gives way to the dark chocolate malt and clove. All the while, it still maintains its characteristic wheat base.

M: At first, I thought I might need a spoon for this one. It's not creamy like a stout, but it has a definite oily texture that allows the flavors to linger on the tongue for a while. The alcohol is mildly pleasant and adds a subtle warming effect through the whole event.

D: This is a wonderful beer and one of my favorite tasting experiences. It was so much fun to sit with this beer and sort out all the flavors as they moved in and out of the spotlight. I will admit that the sheer complexity of the Aventinus makes it far from sessionable, but I would love to pair it with a tart dessert, maybe a cheesecake, to play against the sweet and spicy character.

My roommate picked up a Schneider Weisse the other day and I'm looking forward to comparing it to this, its "massive twin," as the brewer calls it. High hopes!

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the Doppelbock (not really a Weizebock to my tastebuds) that all others should be judged against. Quite simply, there is no other that comes close to Aventinus. A true gift from the gods. Schneider hit the jackpot with this one and it's hard for me to forsee it ever being beaten.

Yes it's that good! Try it, you won't be disappointed!

I could drink this along side Weinstephan VITUS and KORBINIAN for the rest of my days and die a happy man! The only 3 Weiz beers you ever need drink again!

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

Outstanding wheat beer. Absolutely outstanding and well deserving of its high BA status.

It pours a cloudy, walnut hue with a nice creamy head. The smell is heavy of clove, banana, and citrus. The taste - even better. Right off the top, I taste clove, banana, bubblegum, melon, and light citrus flavors. Spicy ripe plum in there towards the end, as well. In the background, there's roasted malts and a nice yeast flavor. The 8.0% abv carries these wonderful flavors all through the mouth and nose. Delicious and dangerously drinkable for such a strong beer.

This is one of the best wheat beers I've ever had and also one of the few BA top 20 beers that I feel actually deserves a higher ranking. I bought one of these to review, I should have bought four!

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving Type- From a bottle poured into a Tulip Glass

Appearance- Classic German Wheat DoppleBock dark hazel nut in color, towering head even in a small glass.

Smell- Roasted Banana's, dark fruits, Slight Booze note

Taste- Roasted Banana, dark fruit, slight booze finish but not bad for a beer 8.2% ABV

Mouthfeel- Classic smooth DoppleBock

Overall- One of the best offerings in that style in the world a world class beer anyone should try its one of my favorites

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle, into a pint-glass. I know, I know.

Poured a dark copper/brown with flashes of red. Head is extremely lively and I have to pour this one slow. The head recedes after about 30 seconds leaving no lacing. Smells of that grassiness and malt character.

Extremely fizzy and lively mouthfeel. Taste is heavy-duty on bananas, with that strong wheat character and spiciness. I also detect some raisins, prunes and a very light finish with mild toasting. I can't even hint at the alchohol, very well hidden. I can detect a very similar character in Hoegaarden, another wheat beer, of course.

I'm not keen on this style yet, I'm having a hard time getting into the wheat feel in general. I will explore, learn and return later.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

pured murky but not too dark, some transparency at the edges. poors with a moderate head and it stays around.

smells of malt and dark fruits

taste is grainy and dark fruits with raisins being the predominant one...

good beer, high alcohol content sneaks up on you.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

A: A nice walnut brown haze that fades out to a golden amber. Abundant, even head with a light tan color. Barely any lacing.

S: Aromas of fig, maple syrup, and the slightest hint of citrus.

T&M: Soft maltiness with a sour finish. Upon tasting, the scents of fig give way to a more tart raisin and fermented pear. The balance between soft and sour is perfect.

D: It doesn't get much better than this. At 8%abv, it may be tricky as a session brew- guess it depends on the person. This is one smooth doppel that will seriously grow on you.

Also, this beer greatly benefits from its official glassware (pilsner with a rounded top). As you bring it to your lips, the bubble near the top of the glass nicely captures all of this brews aromas. Just bought the glass today and I notice the difference.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

I did not try this at the brewery a month ago and now I regret it. Light brown, foamy head atop a redish, cloudy body. Foamy head does fade leaving some lacing, not much. Initial taste is a sweet, dry, coffee and banana bread blend. Spicy and quite complex. The sweetness seems to come on strong on the tip of the tongue then just before it dominates the taste buds it
gets balanced out nicely with the spice and dryness of the brew. The mouthfeel hangs on well between sips and the finish is dry with just a bit of the malty chewiness that you would expect from a doppelbock. A nicely done brew and worth picking up.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pilsner gass.
Nice foamy head that slowly fell to a thin cap. Jasper brown, and cloudy, letting only a little light through.
Smells of spiced pears, apples, and bananas. Clove and allspice, sourdough notes.
Taste and aroma are much of the same, but wheatbread presents itself more prominently.
The beer hits all parts of the tongue at once, and the flavors meld nicely. It moves through the mouth quickly and smoothly.
I can and have drink many of these one after another. I really like drinking this beer.
I have ordered and purchased this beer many times but have never given much thought to why this is. It all comes together well.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours slightly golden with a lasting 1cm white head. Aroma is of slightly overripe banana and a bit of yeast.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth with no alcohol sting. Instead the taste is of banana, well-rounded, mild hops, with clove/black pepper at the end. Very tasty!

I had this with mild-flavored picnic food: boiled eggs, ham, fried chicken, potato salad, etc. It enhanced the meal well.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

It was a very clear dark amber with fantastic white head. It was fairly well carbonated and looked great in the glass. The smell was very wheaty almost like a hef. It was very cidery in scent with tons of floral notes. The only deduction I had was that an alcohol quality was sensed during wafting. It tastes of malty richness as wheat fills the mouth. It is exceptional for the style but a tinge too sweet for my taste buds. The mouthfeel was creamy and rich but not too thick- fantastic. I found this beer to be very drinkable and I will break another one out during the summer, poolside.

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

The head on this puppy is huge! It took me a few pours to get it all into my hefewiezen glass. It's pretty cool to see all of these tiny bubbles screaming from the bottom to the top of my glass. Color is a dark brown. This bottle went flat pretty quickly. Not sure if that is normal or not.
Smell is like bubble gum and then almost earthy. This is definitely a German brew.
Taste is bananas and bubble gum without much hoppiness to it. Overall pretty sweet. A really distinctive beer. Different from anything I've ever had. Not sure if this is my style though.
The 8% alcohol is hard to find here. Extremely drinkable. One 500ml bottle caught up to me quickly.
I would recommend you try this beer.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Drank a bunch of these in Helen,Ga over Thanksgiving weekend last year.
Pours a cloudy brown with ruby highlights.
Aroma of warm banana bread, raisins and pumpkin pie.
Huge thick and malty mouthfeel, nice tight carbonation.
Smooth and warming finish.
Probably the best Bock I've Had.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

This has been a wheat clincher in my frig for fifteen years. It's the brew I always turn to as the grand finale to a Weizen afternoon. You can't beat a heavy-on-the-alcohol malt assault after a couple (yeah sure) of standard Weizens. Seriously, this is a world class beer that sets the standard in this micro style (few attempt this quest.) Smooth as a Samui wave that glorys the arrival of a Thai evening, this purple-labeled bottle delivers satisfaction to the few that appreciate a beer well done, excellence accomplished by the same brewery that awards us with the exceptional Schneider Weisse. I'm clinched once again.

I've had a few,
Yes it's true.
Doppel my wheat,
Bock my brew.

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into a snifter at about 55 degrees.

A- Dark Amber. After the pour an inch and a half cream colored head formed which dissipated

S- sweet raisins, slightly fruity

T- exactly that, sweet raisin with an almost a bittersweet apple taste

M- slightly carbonated, extremely smooth, not smooth like a great stout but just goes down really nice the flavor tones sit on the tongue briefly

D- Great beer to just relax with. I could drink about 2 or 3 of these and be rather content.

I strongly suggest getting a few bottles of this. I will absolutely be purchasing more to cellar!

cheers.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

A - pours a nice coppery brown with a cloudy, thick he's that leaves tons of lacing.

S - Spicy phenols are the most noticeable scent followed by bananas and a chocolatey caramel sweetness.

T - Tastes of clove, coriander, nutmeg, and bananas followed by chocolate and vanilla. Very complex: there are hints of roasted nuts and a balanced wheaty flavor. The hops add a crisp zing in the finish.

M - Feels smooth but rich in the mouth. Definitely not too thick and not too thin. The carbonation is very nice.

O - A classic! A must try for beer lovers everywhere. Definitely in my top five favorite German beers.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice pour with medium head. Cloudy amber and copper color.

S: fruity banana esters, ancient spice and malt. Maybe a little clove. Smells like a pefect October comfort beer.

T: Perfect Octoberfest fall beer. Complex mixture of fruit, spice, mal and even bread. Nice carbonated mouthfeel.

O: This is a great beer plain and simple. Love the mixture of all of the flavors.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lovely beer. A little sweet overall, if anything for me the sweetness does take away other possible elements. The look is off putting (muddy water), however, that could be to my poor handling, there is a huge amount of trub in the bottom of the bottle. Whilst this isn't a problem for me, as I'm more interested in taste, I'm sure some people will be put off.

Overall exceptional and well worth looking out.

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a bottle

the color as if I poured molten caramel into a bottle with light carbonation, 1-2 cm head

smell - caramel- orangish

taste - this beer surprised me in its overall complexity of flavor, it starts with a sorta doppelbock like taste - earthy, yeasty but ends with a decidedly strong clove finish and aftertaste, as it warmed, the clove sensation dominated - which added to the complexity, because I feel like it brought out more citrus elements as it warmed

mouthfeel - moderate amount of carbonation, smooth as silk however

Overall - beautiful beer, more complexity to taste than I would have imagined, a pleasure to drink for any occasion, the kind of beer that should be reserved for special company

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours to a plum colored amber with a finger thick head that dissipates quickly. Smells of wheat and hmmm grapes, plums or prunes, not sure.

Taste definitely was prunes I think, with wheat and a bit of alcohol in the background. Finish was a chocolate covered clove leaf.

Swishing about the mouth brings out the suds and alcohol taste, a light and frothy feel.

Drinkability is good but the alcohol content is a bit high for a session beer.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Nice dark brown color and white head. Head leaves very quickly and provides an easy to drink well carbonated beer. Enough about the feel, color and smell! What a great beer! Get some german cheese, some crackers and have at it. This one will always have a shelf in my fridge. I love it and think that it goes very well with German food. It just tastes like Germany. Enjoy!

4.04/5  rDev -6.3%

Strong raisins. Nice and hearty and bitter, but not my kind of beer. Gives me a little bit of rye and pumperknickel. It's a darker brown, and some sweetness left over. If I did not read the label, I'd guess the alcohol content ain't low either. Solid, but I don't know enough about darker german beers to give anything definitive.

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

Obviously, the novice will be obvious as I know most love this beer. However, it poured a tea colored brown with no head. Smell is malty and bready sweet. The taste is of molasses bread with spiced undertones. It is heavily carbonated and reminded me of a soda. I enjoyed drinking it because it was so far removed from the other beers I've drank, but I wouldn't necessarily return to it.

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

Another wonderful brew from Schneider... Rich colouring, Beautiful head! Cloves and pepper with a slight amount of bannana on the nose. Taste was one of raisons and a slight choc/toffee flavour, this kept developing as the beers temperature changed until fruity bannana became evident in the taste as well as aroma.

A very drinkable beer, I would be happy with glass after glass.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to many positive recommendations on Beer Advocate I sought out this incredible beer. I've never had a doppelbock than grabbed my attention like this one! We were at a German bier stubbe in the Chicagoland area enjoying various schnitzel dishes, when I saw Aventinus on their beer menu. Remembering my Beer Advocate recommendation on this beer, I suggested we order a round. WOW, we weren't dissapointed!

A: Dark ruby, cloudy when held to the light. The vision is that of a deep robust beer. The head is outstanding, thick & creamy full of frothy goodness.
S: The variety of aromas coming from the glass made me ponder for minutes all that assailed my senses. Raisin, clove, oatmeal with many overtones as the carbonation tickled my nose.
T: Smooth and flavorful with many different tastes on my palate. Sheer enjoyment as I savored each sip. Carmel and raisin were predominate, but there was a toasty aftertaste that I really enjoyed. Just a wonderfully complex beer that treats your senses on every level.
M: Silky smooth, creamy, with a wonderful afterglow of warm alcohol tingling your palate. Not overbearing mind you, but you know it's there.
D: At 8% I'm sure a couple of these would have you mellowed out in a hurry. Very drinkable, not heavy, but this is a potent brew and after 2 pints I could feel the kick. But I loved it.

If you like doppelbocks or hearty brews with big chartacter, give Aventinus a try. It's a great beer.