Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH
Germany
schneider-weisse.de

Style: Weizenbock

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,128 | Ratings: 4,447

Suggested to me after telling someone at Friar Tuck's in Peoria, IL my likes and dislikes. Spot on accurate suggestion. I wish I knew who this guy was! I'd ask him for more suggestions. I've wanted to find a “go-to” beer to buy as a regular. Probably too expensive for that, but oh so good!

Pours cloudy and unfiltered and smells like you're in for a complex treat. It tastes and feels like you should have bought more than one to try!

I'll be stocking up on this in the future. I wish I could taste this on draft. I can't imagine.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into a mug. the 10 141 means it was bottled in mid May.

Appearance: Deep orange/brown color, cloudy and pours a big head.

Smell: Nice smell with caramel and banana tones. Has a sweet smell that is appealing.

Taste: Slightly dry and smooth. Has a lot of fruit flavors and banana. Complex and I taste molasses/brown sugar as well as chocolates.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and full bodied. Seems kind of creamy and mild taste of carbonation.

Drinkability: Excellent beer that is easy to drink. Good flavor that was not what I expected. Unique flavors and complexity make it a great beer. You can start to the ABV after a while. Will definitely drink again.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from bottle. Aromas of banana and caramel. Almost clear dark red with tan head. Medium sweet taste. Full bodied with creamy texture and average carbonation. Overall an a very well balanced strong beer.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - light brown/amber color. A bit of head that fizzles quickly.

S - interesting! Fruity smell of a wheat beer, but with some dark fruit flavor and brown sugar in there.

T/M/D - delicious! Again, lemony like a wheat beer but with some darker malty flavors (like brown sugar and raisins). I really enjoyed this beer, but maybe a bit too heavy to have more than 1 at a sitting.

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have always heard great things about this beer but somehow never got around to trying it. Needless to say, I was excited to try this one for the first time.
Pours a clear dark amber color with a small amount of white colored head. Very active.
There is a lot of alcohol on the nose followed by sweet banana and yeast aromas.
The first thing I taste is a little heat, the alcohol definitely comes through a bit. Lots of banana, cherry, apple, and brandy followed by a nice spicy finish.
This one is actually pretty light on the mouth, with just the right amount of carbonation.
For 8.2% you can taste the alcohol a bit but it's still very drinkable. Overall I'm glad I tried it finally and would definitely buy again.

4.06/5  rDev -5.8%

Absolutely stunning color. This rich, deep, murky orangebrownblack, slow twist of texture and color. Amazing.

Very heavy dark fruit smells. I don't want to say plums or raisins because then you'll think of prunes and old people who take a lot of laxitives. It's a mature fruit smell. There. Brown bananas about a day before tossing into the trash. Sweet.

It's malty, yes. But not in a way that upsets me. I abhor malty beers. This latest spate of wheat beers has been a unique kind of malty though. A dancing tingling across the mouth. There's a lot of body here. The alcohol makes its presence known. Not with a shout or scream, but more with a firm handshake. It has the expected clove flavors, but much more muted than a lighter beer.

The first few sips I was quite overwhelmed. It's a proper complex beer. 10 minutes later the glass was empty though, and I couldn't believe it. Keep an eye on this one. It'll have you pounding the glass without even realizing it.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Another quality brew from Schneider.
Pours a dark brown-black with a very large packed white head that leaves a strong lacing all the way through.
Smells wonderful, really get a hit of banana and yeast with some spice.
Taste is equally as wonderful, with a banana kick thats back up with a nice malty tone, I even got a bit of milk chocolate out of it. the yeast comes out to round things out. Nice levels of carbonation and a good mouth feel. Note that despite the high alcohol level, there is no really feel of booziness in this one. Super smooth and a wonderful beer to drink. I would have to say though, that Tap 5 is still my top, but this one pulls in a close second.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

I just got back from an Octoberfest tasting. While I was there I stumbled upon a conversation about Aventinus between a few veteran BAs. With all the raving, I just had to try it. Man, what a beer!

A gentle pour gave me a huge white head. The color is deep brownish red, cloudy from unfiltered bottle conditioning. Very attractive.

Big bannana and clove on the nose. Lots of pungent sweet fruit character.

Taste of heavy clove and some bannana lingers along with caramel and some rum.

Mouthfeel is smooth and syrupy with a medium to heavy body.

Really quite a beautiful beer, not my favorite style but definitely must be respected.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured into a pint glass, it has a dark amberish color. Aromas of bananas and other fruits dominate the smell. Very smooth smelling beer, not a lot of bite to it. The taste matched the smell, very easy to drink. Wish it had more of a bite, but I liked it. I could see my fiance really liking this beer.

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 500ml-bottle freshness date stamped on back.

Pours deep henna with a foaming white heat that wanes rather quickly, leaving minimal lace. The smell is rich with malt, and a strong herbal presence, while exotic fruit and alcohol esters make an appearance as well. The flavour is of complex malt sweetness, which touches on chocolate at times. A brief splash of fruit is followed with a citrus zing, with some hop bitterness finishing the feast. Mouthfeel is creamy, with the carbonation providing a champagne-like pep.
Notes: Another remarkable offering from Schneider & Sohn. The high alcohol content gives an extra dimension than many wheats. That said, the alcohol really comes to the forefront as it warms. This is a delicious, boozy brew, but enjoying for a session might land unexpected results.

4.66/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Pours a hazy tootsie roll brown with a toasted course head. Gentle pour produces a lot of head. Very unique look.

S: Wow...amazing complexity. Plenty of fruity aromas mixed in with a very rotund wheat. Mmmm...spices, a little clove and sweet toasted malts. And I know I'm not picking everything up. Theres more that my barbaric senses just can't place. Absolutely amazing. I'm looking forward to this.

T: Mind boggling. Any brew dork can make a beer with tons of flavors but it takes a master to balance them and make them all work. A wheat foundation with strong fruits, bananas in particular dominate with spices, clove and others (I think I detect cinnamon but that can't be right, can it?) Sweet dark malts with an unidentified hop bring a complexity and balance that you don't see everyday in a beer. I am truly impressed and a little in awe.

M: Very wet with a medium to thick mouthfeel. It lets you know your effing around with something that has teeth.

D: Jesus, it's 8.2% alcohol but doesn't quite act it. A clear sign of a well balanced, masterful brew.

Overall a stunning brew worthy of your attention. My only disappointment is the lack of a bottling or expiration date. Since its bottle conditioned I really want to know how old it is so I can make this tasting the bar to compare future tastings with. Oh well.

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A; Dark amber honey or nice copper colored maple syrup, with a 3/4" fluffy white head, that lingers and slides down the glass without lacing. S: Loads of pumpernickel/molasses bread. Great spice notes of clove and ginger come through as it warms. Bananas, absolutely bananas. T: Taste follows aroma. There are enough hops to balance the bready malts. Honey and ginger show up, with sweet banana puree. MF: Perfectly carbed, which offers a nice crispness that helps clear the palate and keeps this from being sticky. O: Awesome beer, absolutely amazing. Will definitely be drinking this again.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a half liter bottle into a pint glass. Pours dark brown with a thick head that reduces down to some wisps and a bank around the rim. Smells sweet with a little spice. Tastes rich and malty with that wheat taste in the back. The mouthfeel is amazing, thick and solid with a lingering savory finish. I want to know why I don't drink this more often.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

A - Rich caramel color. Very nice tan head that recedes slowly, leaving decent lacing.
S - Cloves, molasses and alcohol.
T - Sweet and malty. Not a wide variety of character, but what it does have comes on strong.
M - Somewhat thin, as one might expect. Typical carbonation for this type of brew.
D - A good beer once you can get used to the overpowering clove taste.

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

A - Amber and clear with light beige quite persistent and quite fine foam.

S - The aroma is the tipical one of weizen beers: banana and clove. But it's not so fine. Also a little of roasted.

T - A good body and a good level of alcohol are mixed with the banana flavour.

M - Very sweet with low bitterness. So fine for the style.

D - The high level of alcohol comes out soon and, with the consistent body, makes this beer not so drinkable.

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very dark and wheaty. Finally met my match, usually more of a drink super fast type of person, but this is just great when sipped and enjoyed slow. Have been trying to explore beers different than the usual APA/IPA kinda things and so glad. Just a very enjoyable beer with alot of kick abv wise. Can't taste any of the alcohol which is the biggest plus for me.

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

Obviously, the novice will be obvious as I know most love this beer. However, it poured a tea colored brown with no head. Smell is malty and bready sweet. The taste is of molasses bread with spiced undertones. It is heavily carbonated and reminded me of a soda. I enjoyed drinking it because it was so far removed from the other beers I've drank, but I wouldn't necessarily return to it.

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%

50 cl bottle, served in Aventinus glass.
Appearance-wise, this is one of the most beautiful beers around, especially when served in the right glass: Deep, opaque reddish-brown; enormous, stable head that sticks around until the very end; massive carbonation visible all the way up the tall glass. It's almost - almost - a shame to drink a beer this fine-looking...
Taste is highly complex, easily combining the freshness of a wheat beer w/ the depth and fullness of taste of a doppelbock. Exemplary. Luxurious mouthfeel and very good drinkability w/ the 8% abv. being well hidden.
A unique and wonderful brew that's become one of my all-time favorites.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

My God! This beer is nothing short of spectacular. This is not a style I've ever been particularly fond of, but this is one of the greatest beers I've ever had. It's much more estery and aromatic than any other German bock I've ever encountered, It sort of reminds me of a cross between a German doppel bock and a Belgian strong dark ale. It's floral and fruity, but make no mistake this beer has balls the size of haystacks. I doubt that there is a better beer in all of Germany.

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

This is a fantastic brew!

It poured a beautiful hazy medium orange with a very impressive head that outlasted the brew.

The scent coming off this beer was a medium sweet banana clove with some alcohol, though less than expected considering ABV.

It tasted like it smelled... malty banana with some clove and other fruits (apricot?). No noticeable hops. Clean and refreshing with minor alcohol taste.

Full of flavor and truly a joy to drink. If it weren't $4-5 a bottle, I'd drink it much more often!

Get some!

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Ho hum, another weak-coffee tinted beer with an unimpressive head. I'm not smelling anything outside of wheat and malt. What's so great about this...?
[sip]

Anise, coffee, vanilla, chocolate, burdock root, dandelion, banana?! Bitter! Sweet! Bitter! Sweet! Herbal! Acrid! Sweet! This is supposed to have 8.2% alcohol? Impossible, there's no alcohol bite!

Subtle carbonation, with a refreshing, light and astringent quality. Impressively refreshing.

Absolutely stunning.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Pours a hazy rust brown with glimmers of orange at the edges of the glass. There's a noticeable amount of carbonation crawling up the edge of the glass, very aggressive. A thick tan head sits atop the brew and continues to regenerate with this heavy supply of bubbles. There didn't seem to be a terrible amount of sediment in this bottle, even though it is unfiltered and bottle conditioned.

S: Very sweet at first, I initially get the aroma of chocolate covered fruit. There's also a definite clove scent, and maybe even some caramel (there's alot going on here!). I gives off that unique Belgian-y aroma, even though it's not. Once I let the beer warm up a little, the chocolate aroma makes more of a prominent impression.

T: Like no other beer I've ever tried, the Aventinus changed immensely over the course of my tasting. At first, I got mostly a sugary sweetness paired with mild spice. I can definitely see where other reviewers get that "stewed fruit" taste from. There's really no bitterness at all to this beer, just a nice vanilla end at the back of the throat. Again, I must recommend that you pace yourself with this one. As the beer warms up, the flavors start to mellow out as the sweetness gives way to the dark chocolate malt and clove. All the while, it still maintains its characteristic wheat base.

M: At first, I thought I might need a spoon for this one. It's not creamy like a stout, but it has a definite oily texture that allows the flavors to linger on the tongue for a while. The alcohol is mildly pleasant and adds a subtle warming effect through the whole event.

D: This is a wonderful beer and one of my favorite tasting experiences. It was so much fun to sit with this beer and sort out all the flavors as they moved in and out of the spotlight. I will admit that the sheer complexity of the Aventinus makes it far from sessionable, but I would love to pair it with a tart dessert, maybe a cheesecake, to play against the sweet and spicy character.

My roommate picked up a Schneider Weisse the other day and I'm looking forward to comparing it to this, its "massive twin," as the brewer calls it. High hopes!

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the Doppelbock (not really a Weizebock to my tastebuds) that all others should be judged against. Quite simply, there is no other that comes close to Aventinus. A true gift from the gods. Schneider hit the jackpot with this one and it's hard for me to forsee it ever being beaten.

Yes it's that good! Try it, you won't be disappointed!

I could drink this along side Weinstephan VITUS and KORBINIAN for the rest of my days and die a happy man! The only 3 Weiz beers you ever need drink again!

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

Outstanding wheat beer. Absolutely outstanding and well deserving of its high BA status.

It pours a cloudy, walnut hue with a nice creamy head. The smell is heavy of clove, banana, and citrus. The taste - even better. Right off the top, I taste clove, banana, bubblegum, melon, and light citrus flavors. Spicy ripe plum in there towards the end, as well. In the background, there's roasted malts and a nice yeast flavor. The 8.0% abv carries these wonderful flavors all through the mouth and nose. Delicious and dangerously drinkable for such a strong beer.

This is one of the best wheat beers I've ever had and also one of the few BA top 20 beers that I feel actually deserves a higher ranking. I bought one of these to review, I should have bought four!

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving Type- From a bottle poured into a Tulip Glass

Appearance- Classic German Wheat DoppleBock dark hazel nut in color, towering head even in a small glass.

Smell- Roasted Banana's, dark fruits, Slight Booze note

Taste- Roasted Banana, dark fruit, slight booze finish but not bad for a beer 8.2% ABV

Mouthfeel- Classic smooth DoppleBock

Overall- One of the best offerings in that style in the world a world class beer anyone should try its one of my favorites