Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

bottle into tulip

appearance: dark brown, caramel unfiltered, 1 finger white head

smell: dark fruits, bready malt, citrus, almost medicinal

taste: dark fruits, wheat, plums, figs, subtle citrus, blackberry, currants, and some slight roasted malt, you can taste the alcohol

mouthfeel: decent amount of carbonation

overall: To me this tastes like a trappist beer from Belgium, mixed with a Dunkelweizen. Decent brew but not really my cup of tea, it tries to be too many things at once. I would rather have a Franziskaner Dunkelweiss or Rochefort if you want something similar but a little more drinkable. May get more in the future to try again, but as of now I prefer their hefe.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I see this beer all the time at Total Wine, but never knew the history behind it. There is one guy that RAVES about this beer, calling it, "the best beer ever". Not sure it is the best beer in the world, but I am excited to try it. I like the label, too… it's purple. I bet Sheryl likes that. It's her favorite color. I also really like the name. Look for the next few bottles to be from the other side of the aisle. You need to visit a Total Wine to know what I mean, but at Total Wine, the beers from the United States are on one side, and then all other countries on the other. I will be spending more time on the other side for a while. Just to make things interesting!

In the Glass: After hearing Sheryl explain it, I am not sure I can do this beer justice. She basically said someone took a "dump" in the glass. Her words, not mine. I wouldn't say that, but the beer is quite dark. It also has a large head that just sits there for 5 minutes. Granted, I did a hard pour, but the head was impressive. The lace isn't very impressive considering the head, but I am not too worried about that.

It says on the bottle that this is "Germany's original wheat-doppelbock ale". Not a typical style for us, so let's dig in.

Nose: This smells like a spicy wheat beer. The aroma isn't all that impressive. I am impressed with the ABV on this one. 8.2 for a beer that is only $3.99 a bottle is a pretty good deal. I am also seeing, "TAP 6" on the label. It is on the label and on the neck of the bottle. I don't know what that means. Maybe I should Google it.

A second whiff has me smelling more dark fruits leaving with a very earthy finish. I hope it tastes better than it smells!

Flavor: The flavor is quite complex, and I am getting a lot of different flavors throughout. I am not sure where to start. At first I get typical wheat beer flavors; think Blue Moon. Then it mellows out as I swallow, and some subtle sweetness kicks in. Then plums take over. Maybe that is why the label is purple. The plums are really obvious for a few minutes, then a nice drying takes over. The finish only lasts for a few seconds, but it is a very enjoyable drink. Again, not blown away with the flavor profile here, but I am impressed with the complexity this bottle offers.

Mouthfeel: Considering the head on this, I expected more bubbles. The mouthfeel is quite nice, and slides down smooth. It is VERY easy to drink. There are some bubbles at the end of the drink, but nothing to write home about. On that drink I started to swish the beer around in my mouth a little. I plan on doing that for all beer reviews going forward so I can comment on my additional experience. When doing that here, the bubbles overwhelm the palate, but the plums really come through. If I didn't know any better, I would think they used plums in the brewing process on this one.

Aftertaste: The sweetness from the plums sticks around for a few minutes, and it slowly becomes dry. The finish doesn't last very long, but it is long enough to make me want another sip. I am drinking this right out of the fridge, and with this one, I am not sure it warming up will do much for the beer. The best part of this beer are those fruity flavors I am getting.

The guy that calls this beer, "the best beer ever" must not have a very refined palate. It's good, but it is by no means the best beer in the world. Actually, the best beer in the world, according to RateBeer, isn't even that good. Cool story, but quads are just not my style. They did a good job with this bottle, and I am going to look at where those plum flavors are coming from. Best part of this offering. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

4.41/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep red, but kinda brown, and really just looks pretty muddy. Slightly hazy and a nice full wheat beer head. Not much lacing.
Hefeweizen yeasty spiciness mixed with some rich dark fruits. Raisins and cherries and some caramel.
Raisins, wheat, pepper, and a full full bodied mouthfeel. fantastic stuff

Definitely the best wheat beer I've ever had, and probably one of the best beers I've ever had.
I wouldn't normally aged a hefeweizen or weizenbock but I bet this one stands up real well to a few years.

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance. Pours a hazy brown with a little gold and two fingers of off-white head.

Smell. Spicy belgian yeast and cloves, some brown sugar and plums, and a little sweet banana.

Taste. Spicy belgian yeast, plums, brown sugar with some cloves and similar spice, and a little bit of light grainy malt.

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body with soft and creamy medium+ carbonation.

Overall. Very easy drinking and plenty of flavour. Quite tasty and I can see how so many people love this, even though it's not my favorite style.

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

This beer is a long time favorite. Recently re-tried for reviewing purposes. The appearance is wonderful; nice dark caramel in color, with a retentive whiteish/cream head. Smell is wonderful, clean, earthy, lightly spiced with clove. Taste is delicious! I get clove, sweet malt, a slight licorice flavor, and a sweet yeasty type note as well. The feel of the beer in my mouth is what I remember liking most about this beer. It's very creamy and light, and leaves a smooth silty finish. The aftertaste is of ripe banana, yum.

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bottle into a goblet.

Pours a murky reddish amber, with a layer of creamy off white head, good retention. The smell contains some dark fruit, bready malt, and a mild brown sugar sweetness. The taste is malty but not overly sweet with some yeast spice, a touch of booze, dark fruit, and some banana.