Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,125 | Ratings: 4,432
4.57/5  rDev +6%

Newly brewed Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock is one of my favorites - let's see what happens when it's aged a few years.

Pours a dark orange brown color, with a nice medium-sized bubbly off-white head. As in the original, there's much carbonation to this beer, and the head disappears quickly.

The scent is a bit more smooth than regular aventinus. More fruity, too. The smell isn't as strong anymore, but it's still there, and still lovely. Orange and bananas and a nice hint of clove. Mmmm.

The taste is similar to the regular aventinus, but much smoother, maltier, creamier, and more biscuity. The predominant clove taste in the original seems less strong now (though it's still there), and the expected (fantastic) banana taste remains.

The alcohol is less in-your-face, and thus the beer is now a bit less warming. This takes away a bit from the taste, but makes the aventinus even more easy to drink.

Overall, I still prefer the original, non-aged version, in all its wonderful wildness (especially at half the price), but this was still a fantastic beer.

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%

If beer is liquid bread, then Aventinus is liquid cake (or some form of dessert). I love the decadence of this beer. Ludwig's on Samson St. in Philly pours all of mine. Speaking of the pour, it takes a while. I sometimes order an easy Hefe-Weizen to drink while I wait for the Aventinus. The thick head eventually subsides to a creamy topping. The color is a wonderful dark brown. The mouthfeel is creamy and sometimes milky. I have to remind myself that this is somehow related to watery macrobrews. Somehow...

There's the flavor of wheat and malt at the beginning and a nice alcohol taste at the end. In between are even more flavors, including bananas and some chocolate and all kinds of sweetness (I'll leave others to decide exactly which fruits are present).

I don't have to mention that I feel like curling up in a beanbag chair or a fluffy cloud after drinking this. I even find myself floating on a dark river in the land of dreams. I'm sorry, I was talking about beer.

Some may say I am nuts, but I have noted the smell and taste of bubble gum at times. Bubble gum!!! Is this beer? The answer is no. It's ambrosia.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Half liter brown bottle, no dates.

Cloudy dark brown. Intense carbonation. A tall, proud off white head retains well, & leaves a little bit of lace behind.

Cloves are prevelant in the nose, along with other spicy notes, a bit of fruit, & a hint of alcohol in the background.

Spicy, fruity - notes of figs & raisins, along with a big clove flavour that if overpowering. Medium/full bodied, slick, with robust pinpoint carbonation.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

It pours a deep, rich garnet, looking rather lustrous. Rising streams of carbonation proliferate. A thick, spongy light tan head expands rapidly, then clings to the sides as it slowly recedes, hollowing out a foamy crater. Ropy lacing slides down the inside of the glass.

The aroma brings spicy fruit, with citrus and clove springing to mind. A yeasty tartness works subtly throughout. A distant milk chocolate note comes gently in to fade at the finish.

The yeast delivers it tanginess upfront, almost instantly giving way to a mild dry citrus tone wrapped in cloves. The chocolate slides in again, understatedly, this time accompanied by a slight dark cherry tartness. A grain current flows lightly toward the end, fading along with a very mellow bitterness at the finish.

Medium bodied, the texture virtually fills the mouth, coating readily. The high carbonation and spicy character leave a fresh sensation on the tongue for some time after it slips away.

It starts as simply lovely to look at, then carries through as wonderful to the last drop in the bottle. The full flavor and spicy character give it a big and true identity. As full a beer as it is, though, it ever sacrifices being refreshingly drinkable. Even the relatively high ABV remains well hidden, and doesn't seem to wreak any havoc. It promises big things, them keeps those promises, a trait that makes it something to keep close by, like in your refrigerator, in quantity, so you always know the next one's there and ready for you.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Deep amber hue, huge rocky, bubbly white head, decent lacing throughout the course of this masterpiece. Fresh fruit, grapes, orange peel, plums, bananas, cloves all grace the nose. Up front, a definitive sweetness, spicy cloves with a gigantic malt back base. The definition of full bodied, toasty and bready flavorings are offered, somewhat acidic, subdued, but revealed alcohol presence. The massively complex flavorings of apple pie, fresh plums, cherries, bananas, hefe-spices, and cloves are all there. Remarkable, world class and superb.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a murky gloomy crushed up spoiled pear with pit included. Head is white, frothy, lasts long and laces well.

Subdued chocolate covered banana aroma with some clove spicyness.

This tastes pretty damn good! This is wonderful! It is simple yet complex and very flavorful. Banana and clove spicyness with some other light fruits and moderate spices. Get a tiny bit of chocolate but not much. Alcohol is very well hidden which makes this just about as drinkable as a regular 5% Hefster.

I really enjoyed this!

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%

50 cl bottle, served in Aventinus glass.
Appearance-wise, this is one of the most beautiful beers around, especially when served in the right glass: Deep, opaque reddish-brown; enormous, stable head that sticks around until the very end; massive carbonation visible all the way up the tall glass. It's almost - almost - a shame to drink a beer this fine-looking...
Taste is highly complex, easily combining the freshness of a wheat beer w/ the depth and fullness of taste of a doppelbock. Exemplary. Luxurious mouthfeel and very good drinkability w/ the 8% abv. being well hidden.
A unique and wonderful brew that's become one of my all-time favorites.

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

Clear and somewhat chocolate-shaded brown, my first crack at an Aventinus poured with a nice, white head and a surprisingly wheaty aroma. That same wheat melds with dark, rich bock flavors and some fruit sweetness in a beautiful union with the twinge of alcohol around the edges. These flavors dance wonderfully across the palate.

This is very, very, even exceptionally good, and pretty unique--at least in my limited experience. It's also astoundingly drinkable for something so dark and alcoholic. Wow.

Spoils of the 10/11/03 Knoxville Raid.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Aventinus poors a deep cloudy brown with hints of amber. It develops a nice thin tan head that settles to a good lace. The carbonation ascending from the stem in the center of the glass was a nice touch. It had a strong malt smell with hints of yeast and fruit. I really was not prepared for the taste. It was winelike with a strong citric bite to it, with nice undertones of sweetness. At times I tasted grapes, cherries, and blackberries. It had a dry crisp feel with a citric finish. A one off beer when a different taste is desired.

I was expecting something nearer a stout. I was pleasantly surprised. I may have to experiment and try it with strong meats to see if that enhances the experience. I was having it with pasta and cheeses and the food seemed to stop the beers tastes.

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%

Not sure about this one. Smell was that of raisins and prunes but the taste was a bit unbalanced IMO. At times smooth and at other times a bit harsh. Sound weird? Well it was. Maybe I'm just not a huge fan of this beer to begin with. Hard to finish a whole glass for me but I definitely appreciate it. I was expecting more from this 5 year old beer.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

This is my favorite beer, hands down. I read many of the reviews on Aventinus that talk about how great this beer is on tap. I have unfortunately never had this beer on tap but it is hard to imagine it being more exquisite than it is out of the bottle. I first had this beer at the Silver Swan in New York City while eating wild boar and venison. It is a great beer to accompany a heavy meal. It is a great dark weisse and right after you open the bottle you can smell the distant smells of banana and cloves. Once you taste this beer you will be astounded by the flavor. It is 8% alcohol but goes down smooth and if you aren't careful, after a few you will definitely feel it. I recommend Aventinus to anyone and if anyone knows where I can find it on tap in the NY/NJ area, let me know!

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Huge bubbly head that mounds high above the rim of the class. Nice clear deep brown color until the last pour when the yeast pours and slowly falls to the bottom of the glass. The head eventually recedes to a sparse bubbly lace. Clove and other spices stand out in the aroma, with a hint of plum and chocolate and a touch of alcohol. Medium mouth feel with a high amount of carbonation that gives a fluffiness to the mouth feel. Sweet dark fruity malt up front followed by clove and some yeast notes. A touch of citric hop comes in towards the finish. The alcohol is also a bit noticeable towards the end and ever so slightly warming. The clove flavor lasts into the long aftertaste along with some of the alcohol. Very pleasurable brew to drink again and again, yet not one that I’d consider a session brew.

4.7/5  rDev +9%

My 500ml bottle pours a rich deep amber color into my tall glass and creates a nice tan head. Note: Wow, that is a lot of yeast in the bottom of my glass.

The boquet is thick, sweet and malty with a strong presense of fruit, wheat & spice. Its quite nice.

Flavor is spicy, sweet and has qualities of a belgian tripple. It has a fruity like banana flavor and some hints of nutmeg. The alcohol is definately there, but it is not overbearing.

Mouthfeel is thick, bubbly and very crisp.

Whew... down to the end of my glass and I am certainly feeling it. This one is a great way to unwind after a long day of work, but I don't think I could put many of these down in one sitting.

Overall I really enjoyed this one. Definately my favorite Doppelbock to date.

3.97/5  rDev -7.9%

In brief, liquid bubble gum without the sugar. A substitute for people who drink white sweet wines but do not care for beer taste. tasted like fruit flaroured bubble gum, alcohol well covered. Colour included. Also banana, cloves, nutmeg, some wheat.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Brown body with orange highlights, topped by a fist-sized beige head of microbubbles, topped by a dollop of whip cream rising above the glass. A punch in the nose of bananas, clove, and bubblegum. Taste starts off very sweet, first with some candy, followed by some dark fruits, and finally a dash of hops in the aftertaste to take the edge off the sweetness. Still a little sweeter than I would ideally prefer. I expected the mouthfeel, while hardly classifiable as thin, to be slighty fuller. This is a wonderful beer. However, I will say that my local Ramstein Winter Wheat is even better. Still, this is a style to be reckoned with, and this is one of the standard bearers.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this last weekend on tap, after much searching and seeking. Mmmm. It looked wonderful. It smelled deep and yeasty, like stacks of hucked wheat, like the soil from which it once came. It lacked the sweety, esteric character of the 'look how high our ABV is' wheat bocks, and I suppose it should. This is, so I'm told, the benchmark for a weizenbock. The nose was great, everything I expected. The appearance too, what I anticipated. The taste. Well, the taste knocked me off my bar stool and I hit the ground with such a resounding thud, I flew upwards 15,000 miles into the stratosphere of YUM. This is a seriously delicious beer. It had the wheat/yeast tone I expected, and yet there also were subtle pickerings of hop, of sticky malt, of vibrant carbonation. Sweet, but only enough to make you want more. An aftertaste you'd like to call sour, but really just readies your palette for another complex and delicious sip. The beer really surprised me. The 8.0% amazes me. It's there only because you expect it to be. It's a travesty to think that the invisible ABV hurts its drinkability. If only the availability in PA was better, I would have crowned myself a new king in Beerworld. Thank goodness for NJ. Go try. I hope the reviews aren't suffering from poor handling, but I do realize this is primarily a bottled beer in the States. I'm sure it's good in bottles, but on tap, the flavors are so intense, they last forever in the finish, and they slide gracefully across your tounge like you just ate a silk shirt dipped in axel grease. It's that good. Wow. WOW. KClinger's has it right now on tap upstairs. It's worth whatever you have to do to try it. Cheers!

-Update: Great from bottles also, but I prefer the tap.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

I like German beer. I like strong German beer. I love strong, limited edition, German beer.

This beer comes packaged in a paper cover with dated events from 1999. It has a little tag on it. There were only 240 cases of this. I have been able to get 2 bottles. This beer makes a case for cellaered beer.

Imagine Aventinus. Then imagine Aventinus with less sweetness more balance and one of the smoothest taste you will ever experience. I can't say enough about this. Ecstasy is the word. Rivals any beer I have ever had.

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

While weizens are not my favorite style I was intrigued by the "doppelbock" aspect of this particular brew.Pours a hazy amber brown color with a very nice head that slowly receeded.Little or no lacing left on the glass.Very grassy aroma-spicy,cloves,yeasty.Yeasty comes thru in the flavor-some phenols,sourness.Very pleasant mouthfeel-full bodied and high level of carbonation.Slight "puckering" effect which I like.Overall a very nice beer-wouldnt be my first choice but is a great change from the stout,IPA,amber,etc routine that the average beer drinker consumes.I'd have another.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a dark brown with tan highlights and big, thick white head that dies down quickly. First aroma is citrus hops. 2nd aroma is complex toffee malts in the mid-range. Flavor is somewhat sour and fruity with a dark malt kicker; raisins come to mind. Fee in the mouth is very lively and sweet followed by spice, very satisfying. Even though it is somewhat dry this beer is very thirst-quenching. Relativly high alocohol is hidden very well.

(This is my desert island beer and has been for awhile, interesting to actually write a review.)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

I typically am luke warm when it comes to weizen/weiss beers. I've heard a lot of good things about Aventinus so I picked up a pint and gave it a try.

I'm not sure if the bottle got shaken up a bit on the car ride home from the store, but this beer poured with the biggest head I've ever seen. It was an off-white, light, beautiful foam. The beer beneath the head had a deep brown color with hints of amber.

The taste was just a bit less appealing than the appearance. I tasted hints of chocolate and spice and was left with an overall sweet taste. The typical grainy, wheat taste was also very noticeable, but not offensive as it has been for me in other weizen beers. Overall, this is the best weizen beer I've ever had and I'll not hesitate to pick up another.

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

started out dark brown with a good head that thinned and left nice lacing through the glass (Authentic Aventinus galss at that). The smell was of nuts, cloves, and bannana. The tatse followed suit with layered flavors of butter, vanilla, and herbs. The mouthfeel was both thian and thick at times and sweet malt flavors swooshed around.

Overall it was an enjoyable beer that made me sit back and examine what was going on with the beer flavorwise, kinda mysterious - like as in what am I tasting here. Well balanced and fun to drink. I think as many people who drink it will describe it differently. A good beer to compare directly with someone else.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Tasted on tap at the Toronado bar in the Haight in San Francisco
Served in a beautiful and curvy Aventinus glass.

The beer is dark dark brown and doesn't carry a lot of head.

Sweet malty smell, faint smell of hops

This beer has huge flavor but is so well done that it doesn't overwhelm you. The beginning is malty and chocolatey. You get that bready wheat taste along with a hint of banana and spice. Big mouthfeel. Alcohol is very subtle. I could drink pints and pints of this.

Seemed much more smooth and flavorful on tap than when I tried it in the bottle.

This beer is the king of dark wheat.

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

2000 Vintage, caved aged for 36 months in Aventinus' ice cave in Germany. The appearance is very similar, if not the same as regular Aventinus. A dark, yeasty, murky brown colour with a humungous tan/beige head of foam. If swirled or allowed to garner up a big head, the aromas of this are also very similar to the regular Aventinus. I smell cloves, various fruits and esters, slight spicy alcohol, a bit of malt, and very, very slight floral hops. The aromas are actually a bit more well integrated than the aromas of the regular Aventinus, but at the same time, they are also less pronounces/pungent and complex. The taste is more subdued than that wild-fresh Aventinus, but all of the same major flavor hints are still there. Slight bitter-sweet chocolate, dark fruits, german yeast, malt and hops, alcoholic spiciness, and spicy clove hints. The mouthfeel is a bit creamier and more smooth in the mouth than fresh Aventinus and the drinkability is excellent for an 8.0%ABV wheat beer. Please remember to serve this cool, not cold at cellar temperature, because this is were Aventinus is at it's best. Since these 99 and 2000 reserve bottles have been aged in an ice cave for 36 months, they should be served straight from you ice cave (ie: cellar) or brought up to cellar temp, by sitting in the fridge for 30-40 minutes.

3.91/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours with a big, fizzy head of large, airy white bubbles that quickly dissipates into nothing at all! (BTW I had not cleaned my tasting glass with detergent, or a towel, so I'm at a loss as to why there's no head... what a downer!) The beer itself is well-carbonated, though, with plenty of streamers rising through a light-chestnut colored brew with highlights that border on amber. Immediately weizeny aroma up front, with the distinctive refreshing, near-citrus tartness; there follows a banana-bread mealiness in the middle; with toffee malt rounding out the back. Flavor is of clove and slight cinnamon; sour-wheaty with suggestions of bubblegum and melon in the midpalate with spicy clove; highlights of raisin and white grapes. And oh yeah, a lot more clove--so much that it almost borders on black pepper. If you don't like clove, then forget it. Mouthfeel is spicily dry, effervescent, champagney with more peppery tingle; yet somehow quenching in the back of the throat. This combination of spiciness and quenching character infers a high drinkability. I could drink this in session if I wasn't feeling the alcohol already... I might try this again to see if the "appearance" score goes up a bit, but for now let's just say I didn't get as much out of this beer as I had hoped.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

Vintage 2000: Ice cellar aged RESERVE

Really nice thick and pillowy tan head with tiny clean bubbles. Not much lacing but nice retention. Nice cloudy nut brown color from the yeast. The nose was of raisins, bananas and cloves and very appetizing. Mouth feel was smooth and full and enveloped my tough with flavors. Big flavors of clove, banana, dried sweet fruits and sweet malt. It has a mild wheaty acidic and spicy bite in the end that really finishes nicely. Also some hints of port, vanilla and anise somehow all mixed in this incredible creation..

Overall a superb brew and even smoother and more refined after aging.