Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Ratings: 4,485 |  Reviews: 2,140
4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very dark brown with the slightest tint of red in the light. A fantastic 3 fingers worth of rocky white head that has some real staying power, but eventually settles down to about half the original depth. Decent lacing.

Aromas are interesting; complex and a little hard to pin down. Deep caramel malts, a little bit of fresh bread, a bit of that bubble gum typical of wheat, and something just a touch spicy. Nothing really stands out on its own though, it is all just a nicely played olfactory symphony. Very nice.

Flavors are just about as complex and even as the aromas, but not quite the same. The malty sweetness comes through nicely but is relatively balanced, just hinting toward that sweetness. The wheat is present but doesn't take over the palate, rather it blends nicely with the other complexities. For a darker brew I expected more of a coffee or mocha flavor but didn't really experience that. The finish begins malty but quickly evaporates, with a slight warmth that lingers.

Textures are wonderful. Slightly creamy, moderate fine carbonation, smooth drinking. If it wasn't for that slight alcohol flavor coming through I would have given it a perfect score.

Fantastic drinkability, just a bit heavy on the warmth. I love the ABV I just don't like the raw taste of alcohol. This isn't bad at all, but there is enough there that it wasn't perfect for my taste. However, it was still very good and I highly recommend it for the style.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

This style is tremendous and seems a crime that I havent yet tasted this one.

500 ml poured into a thick pint glass.

A: Mahogany oaken brown with a thin root beer head. Consistent bubbling and beautiful.

N: Yeasty and banana flavors. Right on point for the style. Wheat, cloves and dried fruit.

T: Resoundingly sweet, some alcohol burn and caramel/maple syrup. Hints of butterscotch with tons of raisins and dates. Sweeter as it warmed with the figs coming through- expected to have fig seeds in my teeth. As do the malts in general.

M: Thick, creamy and textbook for the word 'chewy'. Such a full body loaded with character.

D: Loved each and every sip of the half liter. After really enjoying this style, I see this one being perfect in all descriptors but still like the Brooklyn version a bit more solely on the basis of my hop favoritism.

This one is a must try for a weizenbock fan. Well made. Those freaking Germans. Danke.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

A.Pours a brown color that is not very dark but cloudy and opaque.Head would not stop growing, had to sip off top twice, and was not poured very aggressive.
S.Banana, spice, clove, caramel?
T.Malty very complex. Banana, clove vanilla.
M.Good consistancy, good carbination, and very smooth.
D.Good drinkability for style.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

I had this one on tap in Atlantic City.
The color was Dark red/brown, looked very nice poured into it's own Aventinus glass. THe smell was of clove and possible wheat malt maybe banana.
Nice full head that was full-bodied with a hint of caramel.

I had about 15 to taste this night and this by far was my favorite.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: Hazy mahogany with super-creamy head. Looks chunky.

Smell: Figs, raisin bread, alcohol, bananas, and some spicy notes.

Taste: Dark fruits (figs, raisins, plums too?), big malt, banana, alcohol, cinnamon and other spices. Alcohol is quite apparent, but melds well with the other flavors. Overall taste is complex yet smooth.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, chewy, and pretty smooth. A much lighter body than expected upon pouring. A little bite results from the spiciness.

Drinkability: Complexity and ease give this one a high drinkability. Watch out for the ABV, but other than that, drink up!

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

I picked this one up with a bunch of Weissbier. I admit it was my fault for not reading the lable and I assumed it was going to be like the other but I was wrong. To be honest I didn't really enjoy this beer all that much the flavours were just to intense for me and I found that each drink of the glass was just to much information for my taste buds to process. Also I think the higher alcohol content may be why I didn't enjoy it as much.

Pour into a glass. Really interesting dark colour, found that it had a thicker feeling in the mouth but not creamy. I wouldn't buy again for a few years until I can train my self on Dopplebock.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

The 5th person to review this one today, I somehow feel connected to these people in a deep and unfamiliar way.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a curvy sam adams glass. It has the color of tea - medium dark brown, great clarity, frothy white head. The head is gone quickly and leaves no lace behind.

Aroma is sweet and fruity. It reminds me of a belgian dubbel as there seems to be bananas and brown sugar.

Flavor is outstanding and complex. At first it continues down the dubbel trail until intense spiciness kicks in. There's clove, cinnamon, and orange peel in there. Very stong flavors but all getting along with each other. Very unique.

Mouthfeel is fine and only let down by high carbonation and alcohol. The same could be said for drinkability.

This beer has a lot going on. It's like nothing else I've ever tasted.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Pours a dark caramel brown into an Aventinus glass. 2 finger, khaki head. Quite a good looking brew.

S - Banana's! Yeasty, wheaty. Nothing too descript but conversely, nothing out of place.

T - Alcohol heat, banana, caramel/molassesy malt... utterly tasty. I'm admittedly not the biggest Weizenbock fan, but this one is a keeper.

M - Creamy, big, bold... not a ton of carbonation, but just enough to keep this in check. Could be construed as chewy.

D - One is fine for me, but I could see how a fan of the style would really love it. I'm not terribly into Weizenbocks and this is fantastic.

Notes: For the price, and the flavor, this is a homerun. A good beer all around, and no fridge is complete without one. More than worth a taste... worth two tastes :)

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Dark brown to ruby red in color, with a tremendous size head like I have never seen in previous encounters with this beer, and carbonation that is extremely lively and noisy.

A thick and sweet (almost sugar-like) smell, accomponied by some hops and yeast, a well placed, slightly sour and grainy accent on the wheat and some dryish, salty malt presence. Great!

The taste accentuates the sweetnes just a little more, almost to the extent that is becomes cloying and sticky, but also elaborates on it, to the extent that is becomes fruity (rose hip). Wheat is present throughout the whole taste. Finish is slightly bitter and gives exposure to some chocolate or maybe liquorice notes. This bottle tastes sweeter than other (probably older) ones I have had, but it is still great without a doubt.

Body is thick and chewy, carbonation level medium. Alcohol very apparent to both body and mind.

If you like the Hefeweisse by Schneider and can appreciate a sipping beer, you will like Aventinus for sure.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

A bottle poured into a weizen glass. My goodness, there is all sorts of carbonation springing up along the sides of this hazy mocha brown concoction. A bit off white, there is a lot of springy, barely lacy head. Oh, and - best part! - the head has a clear Rice Crispies, "Snap Crackle Pop" quality to it, with lots o' pleasant noise.

Oh, whew, what a nose. Caramelly banana, but surprisingly light in the aroma department. I wouldn't say crisp... but certainly not too heavy. Some grains and dark fruits intermingle in the nose as well.

This is beer. That statement is ridiculously obvious, but with the assortment of aftertastes to be had with crafts, it is somewhat nice to have an ale that just has a clear "beer" component to its finish. (And I realize that this is only to my suiting, but c'est la vie.) A touch of hops - and a bit of a tang of alcohol from the ABV - follow a classic weizen-bock taste of banana and molasses and a hint of clove.

A very drinkable ale for those that can handle a bit of flavor and spice, although it is certainly not a session beer.

Definitely the most substantive of weizen-bocks I have had, including the Clipper City Hang Ten (a personal favorite). I don't think I like it as much as its BeerAdvocate rating might say I "should," but it is very good.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

500mL bottle.

A: Pours a dark hazy mahogany/chestnut brown with a thick frothy head that sticks around. I got some decent sized floaties, but not a big deal.

S: Sweet caramel, wheat, almost like cream of wheat with molasses or brown sugar. Nice subtle banana aromas.

T&M: Very smooth across my tongue with perfect carbonation that slightly nips my tongue. Nice caramel and almost burnt sugar flavors with a slight sweetness. Some dried fruit and raisin flavors, figs. Significant amounts of banana, but not too much. Finishes with a great texture and some diacetyl butter on the back of my tongue and some alcohol. Thirst quenching, but hearty, full-bodied, creamy and smooth. This beer is perfect.

D: Pretty high. I could drink at least 3 of these on a sitting.

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured into a pilsner glass. The amber brown liquid produced a nice tight head. The smell of malt and mature fruit is the first introduction to this brew. Smells sweeter than the taste which has some spice and yeast/malt bread like quality. Now the strange part, I detect a char grill on the finish. I'm not so sure I'm crazy about this one. The general consciences would have me believe I may have gotten an "off-bottle". I'll have to try this beer again in the future.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Bought a bottle of this at Kurtz/Vreny's in Duluth, GA. Pours a deep brown with a very strong head. Smells is slightly spicy with a hint of dried fruit. Taste is very malty, with the malts and the dried fruity taste being the primary taste. Pretty tasty. Decent amount of carbonation in the mouthfeel. A very drinkable weizenbock.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a murky deep crimson with a thin tan head. Very nice.

Lots of dark fruit in the aroma, along with a spicy clove in the background and some sweet malts.

Taste is nicely balanced between spicy and sweet. Some cherry and plum notes with a nice grainy malt. Also some clove in the background throughout. A hint of alcohol as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is a bit heavy and thick with somewhat heavy carbonation.

This is insanely easy to drink despite the heavy mouthfeel and 8% ABV. Delicious.

HV

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

Oh Lord! This is one helluva beer. A dunkel weizen-bock that seems just so... Evil and lovely. On the more serious note, it's amazing!

Pours a dark amber color with a nice beige/white head.

The smell is really nice of peppercakes, spices, some hops and a light tone of matured bananas.

The taste is pretty similar to the smell, but it tastes even more than it smells. Very sweet, but a bitterness that balances it, feels warming in the stomach.

Great beer, I will surely have a few of these this autumn/winter!

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Got two of these in my virgin trade, courtesy of paulthebeerguru... really great trader by the way!

A - Beige head with really beautiful lace. Tons of carbonation bubbles. Hazy color of dark honey. Nice!

S - Definitely a wheat beer in aroma. Tons of dark fruits I can't put my finger on. Banana and clove present, and yeastiness as well. Complex and just great.

T - Very sweet taste. Esters, clove, and light caramel. Stings the tongue a bit. Sweet, long lasting aftertaste. Really enjoyable. I wish I could say more, but I can't pick out all the nuances of this beer.

M - Medium to full body with medium carbonation. Tingly sensations, and the mouthfeel of light syrup.

D - Definitely a sipper. One to be enjoyed.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance - Dark brown and somewhat similar to a doppelbock. Transparent when held up to light. What makes this beer is the enormous head, which came to the size of a fist and is off white in color. At the top the head even muffined over the lip of the glass and ran down the side a bit.

Smell - Sweet fruits and caramel notes. Extremely smooth but spicy as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Creamy and full bodied, with a mild carbonation. Very smooth and sweet taste lays down the base for this beer. Plenty of dark fruit and caramel malt to match the nose, as well as a spicy bread taste. The thing that steals the show in this one is the back end. The creaminess in the back seems to last forever and really gives it a signature.

Drinkability - It's been a while since i've had one of these, and it's just as good as I remember. As said before, the alcohol is invisible for an 8%.

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Everything everyone else says about this is true... this brew is a work of art.

I'd put this up against Chimay Grande Reserve. It's different, but just absolutely delicious.

The appearance, something I don't often spend a lot of time on, is a gorgeous, dark, cloudy ruby-brown. Unbelievable.

The smell... what can I say? The long-tweaked work of some brilliant brewmasters. These people should be really proud of what they have accomplished.

Taste? I don't need to say anything here. It's absolutely superb.

Mouthfeel - smooth as silk. Makes you giddy it's so smooth.

Drink - This could be dangerous, given the ABV. The alcohol is superbly masked. The richness of this beer is second-to-none, but it's magically extremely drinkable. Be careful!

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours dark brown with cherry hues. Head is off-white and prolific, taking it's sweet time to dissipate. Smells of chocolate, caramel, dark fruits, sweet bread, and some hops in the background. Tastes sweet up front with a little alcohol peeking through and a slight acidity. There's also some raisins, caramel and malts in there. It's big, bold and beautiful. It's medium bodied and fairly well carbonated which leads to a certain crispness, although it's still smooth and drinkable.

Before you try Aventinus, you must know that there are BIG differences between fresh Aventinus and vintage bottles from the brewery. I'm reviewing both here, but my ratings pertain to vintage Aventinus. In my experience, a 4- to 5-year-old bottle is among the top 2 or 3 beers available today, while a fresh bottle is in the top 10. As such, a 5-year-old bottle gets a perfect 5.0, while a fresh bottle is about a 4.7 or a 4.8.

AFTER 5 years, Aventinus starts to break down. A 6-year-old bottle might rate a 4.0 or worse, so bear that in mind and aim for 4 or 5 years of age.

Appearance -- (Recent vintage) After a solid "weissbier pour" from a 500-mL bottle into my Aventinus glass (which is quite distinctive), I examine the beer from head to foot. This stuff serves up a whopping four-plus fingers of creamy, firm, off-white head, which lingers for over two minutes before settling into a quarter-inch cap for the remainder of my drink. Solid lacing leaves evidence of each sip. The body of the beer -- and this may be partly due to the glass -- fades from a deep, rich blackish-purplish-brown at the top to a deep amber at the bottom. Even from a "fresh" bottle, there are visible chunks of sediment floating in the beer.

(Five-year-old vintage) Similar pour, same glass. Two to three fingers of off-white head, which recede within about a minute and leave only a filmy cap. Lacing is minimal. Vintage Aventinus is marginally more brown than the fresh stuff, but man, it still looks great in the glass. Of considerable note, the yeast becomes much less chunky with age, blending with the body of the beer much as the flavors coalesce over time.

Smell -- (Recent vintage) Well, this is a wheat beer, but it smells like something altogether unique. Then again, if you don't like wheat beers, you may not like this one, either. I smell dried fruits (e.g., raisins, dates), honey, and the faintest metallic twinge. Oddly, this is somehow compelling, rather than off-putting.

(Five-year-old vintage) With age, the aroma sweetens and warms, and the metallic note disappears. Dried-fruit odors still dominate, but a wholesome wheatiness ties it all together. Scents of toffee and burnt caramel are also apparent...there's a lot going on here, but it all makes sense after a few whiffs. Stunning.

Taste -- (Recent vintage) Truly hard to describe. This is the "biggest" wheat beer out there, in my experience -- with the noted exception of Aventinus Eisbock. Sure, you'll detect some of that signature weissbier breadiness, but this beer is about more than that. I pick up brown sugar, dates, raisins, burnt caramel, and a heavy dose of malt. There's also a toasted-grain quality to this beer that I've never tasted elsewhere. Again, totally unique.

(Five-year-old vintage) Still huge, and still completely unique. The appearance/smell/taste/mouthfeel experience is the most integrated beer-drinking experience you're likely to find. The flavors listed above are the main attraction, but with age, they merge to form a strikingly unusual whole. Sweet, savory, fruity, malty, and earthy all at once. A masterpiece.

Mouthfeel -- (Recent vintage) As an avid wheat beer drinker, I find this one to be heavier and thicker in the mouth than most. The sediment in this one really is chunkier than that of a standard hefeweizen, and you'll feel it going down. Honestly, this is a mild drawback for me; I'd prefer the yeast to distribute itself more evenly throughout the glass. The sediment in a glass of fresh Aventinus is akin to what you might find in a particularly "dirty" Belgian abbey ale.

(Five-year-old vintage) The formerly chunky sediment is now an integral component of the beer's body. This elevates the mouthfeel to something uniquely sublime...think "thick chocolate milk," but with malty, yeasty, mildly carbonated alcohol. Coats the throat, to great effect.

Drinkability -- (Recent vintage) This is where the vintage stuff really shines, by comparison. A fresh bottle of Aventinus is some appreciably potent stuff, especially for a wheat beer. Between the the big taste, the big mouthfeel, the chunky sediment, and the relatively high ABV (by wheat beer standards), one bottle of this is probably enough for one sitting. But it does leave you wanting more -- this is a beer you'll think about for days after you drink it, identifying subtleties you couldn't quite place while drinking it.

(Five-year-old vintage) Whatever alcohol heat you feel in a fresh bottle has faded into the background with a few years of aging. I still don't think I could put away more than a half-liter of this in one sitting, simply because it's so rich. Drinking more than one bottle would be like eating half a cheesecake -- albeit a delicious, potentially life-altering cheesecake.

Aventinus is a truly unique beer, and required drinking for any fan of wheat beers. In fact, it's strongly recommended for ANY beer drinker.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance - Coffee-like color, and you can see the sediment inside, only adding to the coffee appearance. Toffee-colored head.

Smell - Wheat smell dominates with a heavy sugary fruit smell to it; plums, apples, and figs.

Taste - Wheat again dominates with fruits laced with alcohol taste. Raisins seems to come out more in the taste, with a hint of apple. Also has a subtle brown sugar flavor.

Mouthfeel - Sediment adds another interesting level to the mouthfeel. Lighter for a weizen, with a heavy dose of carbonation.

Drinkability - Goes down easy, but doesn't hide the 8% as well as I might have hoped. Still a delicious brew.

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

Sturdy wheat with a nice aroma and awesome flavor. Refreshing wheaty scent, very crisp. Pour is a light amber/dark copper huge head and moderate lacing. Satisfying to the palate, with a strong alcohol finish that is exceptionally smooth. Flavor is truly remarkable. Underlying wheat presence with a nice malty sweetness. Well balanced and very drinkable. Great brew here.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

This has been a wheat clincher in my frig for fifteen years. It's the brew I always turn to as the grand finale to a Weizen afternoon. You can't beat a heavy-on-the-alcohol malt assault after a couple (yeah sure) of standard Weizens. Seriously, this is a world class beer that sets the standard in this micro style (few attempt this quest.) Smooth as a Samui wave that glorys the arrival of a Thai evening, this purple-labeled bottle delivers satisfaction to the few that appreciate a beer well done, excellence accomplished by the same brewery that awards us with the exceptional Schneider Weisse. I'm clinched once again.

I've had a few,
Yes it's true.
Doppel my wheat,
Bock my brew.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Here is beer in a purple-label bottle. Last time I had one of those, I ended up with a mouth full of berries. Not this time.

The Aventinus pours with little carbonation and a very slight head. It has a beautiful cloudy mahogany coloring. I would say it looks "dirty-red"

A yeasty smell rises up from this beer with aromas of cherry, honey and apple cider.

There are major flavors of apple and honey in this beer. Also, a slighly bitter aftertaste arises, yet is is nice, like a licorice almost.

It feels fizzy and frothy. Definately a heady drink, full of body. Packs almost too much of a punch.

I love the angle here, but there is something going on with the aftertaste. It leaves a minute sourness which does not detract from the overall impact of the beer, just my desire to have another.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Aroma - Malty sweetness, grape/prune aroma is prominant, mild alcohol. No diacetyl or DMS. No perceived hop aroma.

Appearance - Brown with nice copper highlights. Pours a thick 2 finger tan head that dissipates into just a ring around the edge. No lacing.

Taste - Malt sweetness with prune like esters, slight caramel from the boil, and alcohol on the finish. Again, no diacetyl, or DMS. No perceived bitterness. Very clean. No significant lingering flavors.

Mouthfeel - light to medium body. Medium to heavy carbonation. The alcohol is subdued. No perceived bitterness.

Overall Impression - This is a good beer, and a wonderful example of the Weizenbock style. This is a very drinkable beer, but is complex enough that you can drink it slowly, and enjoy its aromas and flavor. This makes it a good choice for many different situations. I highly recommend this in your regular rotation. If this isn't enough for you there is an Eisbock version that is outstanding!