Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus
Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Style: Weizenbock

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Ratings: 4,568 |  Reviews: 2,167
4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a deep chestnut with a highly carbonated off white head that fades fast to a thin carbonated layer. No lace to speak of. A wonderful fruity aroma, malt, mollasses, breadiness are all there too. Taste of raisins and cloves most prominent. Sweet with very little bitterness. Very malty. Carbonation is just right with a smooth mouthfeel. Very drinkable considering the 8% abv.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

I've always enjoyed a good dunkel-weizen, with the only drawback being a relatively low ABV. I also love a good doppelbock, but it's not a refreshing style of beer. Well, here's a great combination of the two. Refreshing, easy to drink, and plenty powerful! Pours large head (as to be expected), dark and creamy. The alcohol makes itself noticed, and the clovey-spiciness is prominent (along with the taste of banana). Overall, one of the absolute great beers. This is one of my regulars, and I've tried many other attempts at the style -no other comes close.

3.63/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a copper-orange with full tan head, that dissipates rapidly. I'm not a big fan of Wheat beers, and this is just a reminder why. I have tried it several times now, and I find it no better than drinkable. Way too fruity for my tastes, but it does improve as you go. Strong bannana and a bit of clove and raisin. A complex beer, if you enjoy the style you will likely find this a rewarding taste. I try to rate with the style in mind, otherwise this beer would have a very low rating from me. Its not the beer's fault I think the style tastes like ^%#@.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a fine, fine beer! I wasn't expecting to like this beer as much as I did. Complex doesn't begin to describe it. Pours out to a plum darkness in the glass with a light brown head that reminds you of brown sugar. The aroma is that of fruit. The taste. Man, the taste. Where to begin? Initially, there is a presence of nutmeg, cloves and banana, much like a regular wheat beer. But just when you think this is what you get, the beer transforms as it warms and the clove/banana taste leaves and a warm fruit taste of raisins takes over. A wonderful beer that truly hides the 8% ABV very well.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

I've tried this one from the bottle too and the difference in taste/drinkability is tremendous! On tap this stuff has no business going down as easy as it does with an 8% abv and tons of taste. Cloudy orangish/brown with a nice head that dies quick..but who cares? This beer still tastes great down to the last sip! A welcome fruity taste but not overbearing by any means. Definitely bananas detected, some other slight tropical type fruit tastes. Has a slight alcohol bite to let you know what you're getting into, but really adds to the overall taste. Two twenty oz. glasses and you're feeling grand, but could easily drink many more. This is great year round and should be sought out by all!! Fantastic!!

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

As tasted in Munich, a wonderful, full-bodied Weizenbock. Very drinkable with a chocolaty aftertaste and very filling being that it is a Weizen. Alcohol is noticeable and makes an impact at the end of an 18 oz. glass. The beer is excellent alone or with dessert, mainly a sweeter one. Worth seeking out on draft in March in Germany.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours the most sexy copper color with a red hightlight that really make you drool. The head that is poured doesnot stick around to long but the aromas make up for it. The citrus and many other fruity smells fill the nose with great pleasure. The slight smoked flavor and fruity malts are great tasting. This is the best of dopplebocks that I have ever had although the list is small this is the best. Oktoberfest here I come.

2.58/5  rDev -40.4%

Here goes….another one down the hatch, a few more of these and I wont be able to judge a thing. Anyways, the head come in a shade of off-white that is often associated with cheap white walls. The bier color is…….root beer candy brown. The aroma is that of a lemon/citrus hefe. Slightly off-colored from most hefe smells. It tastes like a burnt orange peel soaked in a light hefe-weizen. Brewed for the hefe lovers only, and not for the beginner hefe drinker.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Big off-white head, dark violet color. Chocolate aromas detected from arm's length, just after I poured it into it's own unique Aventinus glass, footed at the bottom, ballooning at the top. With a closer sniff, all kinds of things come spilling out of this aromatic cornucopia! Cloves, cocoa, anise, spices, dark fruits. Great malt, some sparkling hops, long, luxurious finish. A glorious balance between dark and light. More flavors leap to the imagination as I savor each sip...peppers, raisins, I search for other fruits, but I'll stick with grapes. Halfway through this 16.9 oz,. bottle the head has disappeared, but the flavor's still bursting through! Heavy, alcoholic, but remarkably drinkable, with spice and raisiny flavors standing triumphant. A unique creation, and one of the best sips I've ever put to my lips!

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Brownish-red, bronze color with a moderate round tan head. Good carbonation throughout; be careful, my bottle gushed a bit upon opening. Spicy yeasty clove aroma with malty notes and light alcohol tones. A more complex flavor that I can only ramble to describe: vinous, fruity (raisins, figs), spicy clove character, with light alcohol tones. Medium-full bodied (leans full) but has a light airyness due to the carbonation.

Note: this beer was #8 in Stuart Kallen's "The 50 Greatest Beers in the World"

[16.9 oz. for $2.99] and well worth every penny !!

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

a dark cloudy brown color almost murky with a nice foamy head. yeast and spice jump straight to your nose before you even lean in for a good whiff.

very nice balance of yeast and wheat flavors dominate the beer. you get a constant sweet flavor that will warm you a little bit, but you will not get any of the alcohol flavor despite the 8%. tingly carbonation and a solid body that is nice and rich give it great consistency and a wonder to drink. this beer has a lot of flavor, and its complexity is truly remarkable. this is fine beer.

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%

Dark brown color. Large creamy head. Malty spicy aroma with a touch of banana and clove. WOW. Big, bold beer.Banana and cloves moves to raisins, fruit, chocolate and citrus. Taste really grabs at you. Which is NOT a bad thing. Warming taste. Alcohol is evident, but not overpowering. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. NICE beer.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

This is quite a tasty brew, one I have wanted to try for a while now since it has been in the top 10 for so long.

It pours a very cloudy deep brown, with a thick head atop, and the yeasty spice aroma hits you immediately. Very nice. Quite bubbly in the mouth, yet extremely pleasing to sip. The wheat flavor stands out, and the yeastiness is balanced well with a bit of a sweet, almost fruity flavor. Mild warming alcohol, but you would never know this was an 8% ABV beer. An excellent brew, I am glad to have finally imbibed this baby!

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

It pours your basic brown with little head. The smell and taste are spicy with the characteristic bock flavors. The wheat does make for a bit of a departure from the typical dopplebock. It goes down well and is highly drinkable in spite of the 8% abv.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is not your regular Aventinus, its vintage dated by the brewery 1999. Great beer thats just a little smoother with age. All the details of the beer are the same nice creamy copper color, with nice frothy head. Classic bannana, clove nose but a little more subtle with age. Very drinkable, but the cost is also about double since they aged it.

3.33/5  rDev -23.1%

Gorgeous, rich mahogany color. Slight cloudiness, as yeast was swirled and poured into the class. Huge rocky beige head slooooooowly settles to the thinnest cap of foam.

Nose is nicely clovey, with a complex bready/malty base. Some fruitiness as well.

Goes a bit wrong in the mouth. The clove is there, although a bit strong, but the sweet malt is an almost over-whelming presence. Not enough bitterness to balance the too sweet palate, and the alcohol is apparent on the finish - always a turn-off for me. Perhaps an off-bottle, but I couldn't finish it. Based on reputation, I'd be willing to give it another shot, but this was disappointing.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer pours a nice deep brown. This beer didn’t have much in the way of head, most other times I’ve had this beer I've gotten a nice layer of creamy head. The aromas are of fruit and caramel, but a hint of cloves can be picked up. This is defiantly a full-bodied beer. Chocolate and cloves dominate the flavor. I absolutely love this beer and it is a staple in my beer diet. Drinking more than 3 of these would bring me to my knees. The alcohol is not as present as some other beers that I have drank with similar alc./vol.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Outstanding wheat beer. Absolutely outstanding and well deserving of its high BA status.

It pours a cloudy, walnut hue with a nice creamy head. The smell is heavy of clove, banana, and citrus. The taste - even better. Right off the top, I taste clove, banana, bubblegum, melon, and light citrus flavors. Spicy ripe plum in there towards the end, as well. In the background, there's roasted malts and a nice yeast flavor. The 8.0% abv carries these wonderful flavors all through the mouth and nose. Delicious and dangerously drinkable for such a strong beer.

This is one of the best wheat beers I've ever had and also one of the few BA top 20 beers that I feel actually deserves a higher ranking. I bought one of these to review, I should have bought four!

4.61/5  rDev +6.5%

I have been waiting to try this beer as there has been so much talk about it. It pours a ruby brown color with a three finger off white head that lasts and lasts. The smell is typical of most Weizens with bananas and yeast coming through. This beer has a more complex flavor than most in this style. Plums, raisins & bananas are the flavors that I find come through. Very smooth in the finish. I would love to try this on tap!

Pours a cloudy honey-brown color, crazy ass, foamy, clingy white head, nice lacing. Aroma of toffee and bananas, strong banana yeasty bubblegum flavor, some alcohol taste in the finish, a very good weizen bock.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Tasted at the Barrelhouse Brewing Company Microbrew Fest on November 9. Dark amber color with an off-white head. Nifty fruit aroma of grapes and raisins (same thing I guess). Complex flavor of fruits and malt. I am new to the Weizen Bock genre but this was good!

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

This is a true artisan beer and a coup for Shneider Weise. If you like wheat beers or Dopple Bocks give this a try. I found using a belgian ale style glass better and more staisfying than the typical Pilsner glass. Fruity aroma, smooth and somewhat creamy head. Fantastic and satisfying flavor. Great before, during and after a meal. I recommend large thick pork chops with apple sauce or leg of Lamb and Jalepeno Jelly. Or if you like Corsendonk - try this as a finishing beer.

Little know fact: Schneirer Weisse also makes a distilled liquor from this brew called Aventinus Elderbrand (Noble Fire) waiting for a shipment from Germany to try this though - next week. Just got confirmation on it. I will add a review for that after we try it.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Tasted single-blind with Bajuvator and Korbinian (qv.)
Medium to dark-brown like a Palo Cortado.
There is the typical mashed bananas and cloves of a Wheat with the addition of cocoa on the nose. Good intensity.
On the palate it displays very subdued acidity and bitterness. Not quite enough, in my opinion, to drive the flavors. These include mocha, mexican pastry and sweet spices on a clean, pillowy foundation. The finish is rather quick, again, because there is very little thrust provided by any bitterness or tartness.
A well-executed beer, but a tad boring for me. For those who desire softness, there may be nothing better.

1999 Library Release:
Tasted 12-27--02. Aromas of clay, terracotta, wet rugs, cola, vanilla, fresh plum, very complex and subtle. Not having another, "fresh" Aventius to compare it to, I opened another "aged" beer, St. Georgen Kellerbier. The latter seemed to wear its age more gracefully, with plenty of lively flavor. I'm sure it's a difference of tank vs. bottle age as well.

4.07/5  rDev -6%

An Englishman, who loves Belgium beer, drinking his first bottled German beer, in America, hmmm… I think I picked a rather good one to start with as well.
Hoodwinked into the purchase by a very regal looking purple, gold and red label (the other German bottle labels nearby looked staid and boring). The label has a picture of some ancient looking chap that resembles a genetic cross between an archetypal Hamish Gent and the pictures of Christopher Columbus I remember from my school day history text books.
Enough drivel. It poured well into my Erdinger Weißbier glass (is this appropriate I wonder?), the tall glass did appear to suit the beer rather well, and showed off a lovely deep drown color, extremely clear. The head started well, a lovely off-white creamy smooth head but it retreated far too quickly to a thin collar for my liking, and was a tad disappointing. I found I preferred drinking the beer through the head, and constant replenishment of the contents of my glass from the remainder in the bottle helped to maintain a head to some degree. But rather annoying after a while though, perhaps the draft is better. Yeast is really prevalent in the nose, coupled with a fruity twang mixed with rum punch and a hint of malt sweetness. The beer has a very appetizing and soothing introduction, and immediately puts the imbiber at rest. No shocks here, just a well-balanced beer that is clearly “thought out”. A thick mouthfeel with a mild cough syrup introduction, brown sugar, caramel, molasses and malt sweetness in the middle. A strong hint of bananas is there as well, which lasts through to the end. I got some milk chocolate and wet straw at times? Weird. All this, 8% ABV and highly drinkable.
Detractions are that I find the sweet cloyness at the end, that lingers long after the beer has gone, just a little bit disconcerting though. Maybe I will come to appreciate it better as I drink other versions of this style. The lack of a head really annoyed me the most to be honest. That said, I have a feeling that Aventinus is the Led Zeppelin of beers, you come to understand and appreciate it the more you drink it. I need to see it play “live” (at the Bar in Deutschland preferably) to really appreciate this beer I feel.
Nonetheless, a damn fine beer. I just know I am going to enjoy my Suarez into the world of German beer.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer has been at my favorite bar for a while, and I'm just trying it now, a cold, damp rainy October night, instead of the summer. What the hell was I waiting for?! Tuesday night special; wings. Beer to go with that; a Wheat Doppelback.
I never put the two together.
Pours a dark brown with the usual high off white head that lasts through the glass. Aromas of the usual Hefe- but with a more pronounced malt nose, not the usual banana/clove. An excelent beer with the meal I was having, thirst quenching. I will try it again without the meal.

Beer rating: 4.33 out of 5 with 4,568 ratings