Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,122 | Ratings: 4,415
4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

I've been hovering around this beer for a while now, everyone I talk to raves about it. I'm new to the weizenbock style of dopples and curiosity got the better of me. I'm a big fan of Bavarian Hefes, so I suspected I'd like this one okay. Well, dang. This is an outstanding brew. The clove flavors of a typical Bavarian hefe with the roasty chocolaty coffee flavors of dark malts. Wonderful beer and my new favorite winter warmer.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Paper-wrapped glass bottle poured into trusty Hoegaarden pint glass.

A--Seriously carbonated. Foam eruption upon opening bottle. Crackling carbonation not unlike Coca-cola. Same color too, but cloudy. Nonstop effervescence with creamy light tan head.

S--Malty molasses. Sweet with mild nuttiness. Mild but rich. Dried fruits like cherries and raisins.

T--Delicious and complicated. Definitely a wheat beer up front, but complexities follow immediately and resonate. Exceptionally mild. Lightly spiced. Mildly floral and chocolatey. 8+ ABV doesn't translate at all...amazing.

M--Medium-bodied and creamy. Smooth and freaking delicious.

D--Again, ABV shocks me. MAYBE a bit warming by the end of 1st bottle. Very drikable.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

A - Warm, comforting brown. Similar to apple cider. With a perfect pour, the once settled yeast explodes through the glass and leaves a nice, foamy head.

S - Banana, clove, citrus

T - Smooth malty taste with a complex blend of citrus notes. Perfection!

M/F - Has a thick consistency for a wheat beer. The residuum allows the flavor to stay in your mouth longer.

D - This beer is easy to drink and enjoy. For me, it's more of a summer/early fall beer. That said, I would never turn one down.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from the euro-brown bottle into a weizen glass.

Appeared pretty typical for a dark wheat beer. In appearance it was a dark brown, not completely opaque with a cream colored head. The head dissipated quickly, but this may have been due to the beer's age.

Aventinus has a smell of banana and strong smells of wheat. There was a good amount of yeast at the bottom of the bottle. beautiful figs, sugar, clove, alcohol, and malt. Wonderful beer.

In the delicious taste department, this beer takes the cake. It's like cake in that it's sweet, bready, some rye, figs, plums, a little rum or chicory, banana, clove, coriander, and caramel. It's incredible. It's my favorite beer. I'd love to see an even bigger, americanized version.

The mouthfeel was perfect, and the drinkability was amazing. Super creamy, super thick, so moist and delicious. Most drinkable dark beer I've ever had.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

500 ml bottle 2003 edition in an Aventinus Weizen glass.

A - This is a gorgous beer. Constant carbonation keeping the head going. Nice amber brown with sedement still floating around.

S - Sweet, fruity bliss. You can smell the wheat slightly under the massive fruit scents.

T - Oh My GOD! Can I post that? Immediately the carbonation hits the roof of your mouth and the sweet fruity flavor of the beer attacks your tongue. While it washes back to your throat for the swallow and finish your mouth won't allow you to stop, it wants more, keep it flowing. It's heavenly.

M - I don't know what to say that I haven't already. You finally pull it away and it stays, lingers, and tingles in your mouth. The sweet fruit slowly fades away.

D - Don't buy just one. Pick up a few. Age them if you can. In April of 2006 I did a sample of these from 1999, 2000 and 2001. Those I had aged for a couple of years after I bought them. They were amazing. The 2000 was my favorite. With age everything got more powerful and had more bite. The other thing I will suggest is to have the Aventinus glassware. I have had this in a snifter, pint glass and it's own Weizen glass and it's glass make all the difference.

Buy this beer. Buy a couple. Age some from multiple years.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

This is one of the best beers I have ever had and I've had many.

This came from Germany? Wow the smells pop out at you-the aroma is big and it's powerful like you would expect from a wheat beer. Red grapes, plums, dates and yeast. Smell is outstanding and welcoming.

Taste is like a fruity belgian dark ale but with the consistency and mouthfeel of a Bock. Very fruity-light and dark with spices like cloves and coriander. Reminds me of a Unibroue 17 but with an emphasis on dark fruits and less spiciness. Apricots, raisin and plum truffles.

Mouthfeel is incredible. Very quenching, very tasty. The beer is dark and the abv is high but the body is light and fluffy .

This beer is well balanced and world class. I can drink it at any occasion and it is worth the buy in any environment, any season.

A+++.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Bottled January 2011, I believe. Enjoyed 2 December 2011, reviewed from notes.

Pours a deep dark brown, much darker than I expected. Clear at the edges, and light reveals a chocolate brown color with reddish highlights. Massive creamy yellow-tan head, very slowly relaxes to a nice cap. Little lacing

Smell is deep, smooth, and delicious. It starts out powerfully yeasty and bready, but as the head relaxes, the sweeter malts come through. Brown sugar, figs, and a touch of cocoa. So much going on, and all in perfect balance.

Waves of flavor flooding through one after another. Starts out rather light and wheaty, then a load of sugary fruity malts come pouring in. A pinch of clove comes through late, adding yet another layer to the already complex flavor.

This has one of the most unique mouthfeels I've ever encountered, and it's exquisite. It's surprisingly light for such a strong beer, and the carbonation is incredibly buoyant. The beer feels like it fluffs up in the mouth, becoming spongy and foamy, carrying the flavors away. Magnificent. I'd give it a 6 if I could.

The key word for this beer is depth. It has so much, in the appearance, the smell, and the taste. And despite all that, it has a refreshingly light mouthfeel that keeps it from being burdensome or weighty. A very impressive beer.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Perhaps the finest German beer I can buy bottled in Austin...who doesn't need to have an exceptional beer handy for those special occasions?
O.K.
I'm drinking this side-by-side with my second most favorite beer in the world...a bottled Andechs Dopplebock (my favorite is the draft dopplebock from the monastery in Bavaria).
The smell is wonderful...
The head's still there after 20 minutes...
I'm savouring the comparison...making it last. The head's still there...
The banana-rum bread description just before this one is very fitting. Throw in some raisons and maple syrup and you have it a bit closer....very sweet. VEEERY LOOOONNGGGG mouthfeel....as long as it gets with any beer I've ever had.
It's a wonderful thing...the only reason I don't drink it more regularly is to keep trying other beers and because beer drinkin' is like wearing clothes...how often do you wear your favorite shirt?
Anyone who loves rich alcohol-laden and flavor packed beers must try an Aventinus. You will not regret it, even if you don't love it as much as I.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Glad I picked this one up. Big tan creamy head on a thick dark copper beer that is anything but clear. The foam sticks for a while and seriously feels like shaving cream. The beer smells fruity and spicy with clove and apple being most distinctive. Tastes are similar with banana and brown sugar or molasses flavors present. The carbonation is fine with great mouthfeel and this is an altogether extremely pleasing brew.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured out of 500mL bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A- Pours amber-brown with white finger head that lasts a few minutes before receding to the outside of the glass.

S- Sweet banana notes - not a whole lot of smell to this one.

T- Dark fruit up front, sweet malts kick in with just the slightest bit of alcohol, banana lingers. A little bit of cloves in the middle as well. Sweet throughout.

M- Quite syrupy, coated my mouth pretty thoroughly, but not in an unpleasant way. Medium carbonation, overall pretty full-bodied, but accompanies the sweetness well.

O- An excellent beer that I will definitely be coming back to. Much heavier than the Hefe-weiss beers I've had of late. Reminds me of a bit of a strong Belgian ale, especially the dark fruit notes. Very drinkable, and a good value at 8%. Probably wouldn't want more than a 500mL bottle in one go due to the sweetness.

Edit - Had this on draft last night, was absolutely incredible. Poured a cloudy, light amber brown into a tulip glass. The mouthfeel was vastly improved, and there were some nice estery notes at the end. Much less sweet than I remembered, incredibly balanced, very little alcohol taste. I'll be hard pressed to not order this every time I see it on draft.

Aventinus
Private Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider
Style: Weizenbock
ABV: 8.20 %, 500ml to wheat glass

Appearance is toffee/amber in color, like a dark sweet tea. Light but fluffy head that recedes to a nice pitted cap & collar.

Noticeable soild dark compacted sediment toward the end of the bottle. Possible candidate for homebrew yeast harvest???

Plenty of aromas as the brew settles. Caramelized bananas foster, maybe some rum and mild raisan/grapes. Noticeable clove spicy aromas.
Tastes as it smells on a solid wheat malt base. Caramel/toffee and wheat malt flavors on palate appropriattely supported by the yeast character as noted/listed in the aromas.
Mouthfeel is appropriatte as a medium body, semi slick feel with medium+ carbonation with a dash of rum/booze warming.

Drinkability is exceptional for a 8.2% abv brew. This Weizenbock is a solid example of the style IMHO, it meets all the objectives I would look for in this style. Yeast character is not overdone, and equally supported by darker malts and caramel/toffee notes. A solid "Imperial Dunkel" instead of an "Imperial Hefe" like Vitus suggests.

My standard Weizenbock. Period.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

A- Medium brown with a slight ruby tint and a huge off white head. Head falls quickly and leaves no lace on the glass.

S- Caramel, spice, clove, banana, cherries, malt and yeast.

T- Malty and sweet, nice notes of fruit and spice. Very complex in taste and not overbearing in any one flavor. Exceptionally balanced.

M- Smooth medium bodied and well carbonated. Finish is semi sweet and crisp with a final note of candied fruit.

D- Oh, so drinkable for 8.2% ABV. You know it's strong but you would never guess just how strong it really is.

This was the first beer that blew me away as to just how complex and balanced beer can be. I come back to this over and over again as a touchstone for as close to perfect as it gets.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

This is a very good dunkel weisse. Dark color, cream color head that lasts as long as the beer. Slightly sweet and slightly nutty wheat flavor. It is better on tap in Munich, but the bottled tap 6 is almost as good. We bought a case and finished before leaving Germany three weeks later. The first was as good as the last. It is much better, smoother, better rounded flavor that Ayinger Dunkel.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Aventinus boasts a beautiful mahogany body, which is accentuated by the brew's haziness. The head formation is abrupt, forming a rocky head that climbs right out of the glass without falling out of it. If at any point your head fades below your liking (a rare scenario,) simply give the glass a good swirl to summon a new one. The only aesthetic quality that could be improved here is a more lively lacing.

S: The bouquet is bold and upfront, with rum, bananas, and clove, all balanced well.

T: Absolutely amazing. Rum, raisins, bananas Foster, and earthy yeast intermingle, producing a piquant harmony of flavors. These yeasty flavors are all present, but not in an overpowering manner. They are just powerful enough to balance out another major flavor, alcohol. Yes, it is perceptible, but in a pleasing manner.

M: Full bodied with a chewy texture, the brew sticks to the palate with such tenacity that even the obscene amount of effervescence is unable to completely wash away the flavor. This, in turn, results in a beautiful lingering aftertaste in which the web of flavors unravels in to single threads.

D: This is THE weizenbock in my book. There are plenty of tasty examples out there, but they hardly compare to the Aventinus. This is a must try.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

amazing. pours out an off brown, and after you work up the yeast, it turns a more milky dark tan. the nose is unbelievable...ripe fruit, ripe bananas, clove, some caramel and chocolate malt. an intoxicating wine like aroma to adds to the sensory overload. taste is of caramel apples, with prune, plum, banana and clove on top of a slick, buttery mouthfeel. the addition of all the yeast really expands the taste. some light spicy hops to add an ending crispness. you have reached german beer nirvana. the best of both worlds in a bock and wheat. a perfect selection for the first warm days of spring. outstanding.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

it appears a very deep and appealing hazy mahogany brown with a fizzy soda-like head. smells very malty with a little citrus and yeast. taste is a huge surprise, a clove and chocolate concoction with hints of the gum from your Topp's baseball card packs as a kid. its hard to believe that this is 8% abv, it has almost no alcohol presence, even as it warms. top notch.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a brownish copper color with a huge foamy off-white colored head that eventually dissipates into a creamy and sticky lace. Nose is wonderful overripe banana, clove, and nutmeg with a touch of light caramel. Leaves me almost drooling to take a sip. Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Taste is quite fruity with notes of sweet malts, spicy clove, molasses, and a mild alcohol bite that becomes more pronounced as the beer warms. A truly wonderful beer. Perhaps the finest Weizenbock I’ve ever sampled.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

A An translucent brown, pretty much the same color as the bottle. Lacing is minimal but not to the detriment of this lager.

S Truly bread; yeasty and wheaty. Like a craft bread from the olden days. Thought the ball and chain was a-bakin'.

T Outstanding from beginning to end. Malty goodness predominates.

M Substantial and weighty.

D I hope to partake of this beer throughout my time of treading the earth. I must say though, that the Draught House in Austin, TX makes a superior version. But, barring those infrequent excursions Aventinus is the go to representation of the style for those of us committed to home and hearth.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This brew pours a dark brown with red highlights when held up to the light. There is a very fluffy white head most of which sticks around until the end; little lacing.

The smell is full of sweetness; sweet malts, candy, bubble gum, wheat, black cherry and molasses.

The taste follows the nose with with lots of sweet malts, candy, bubblegum, plum, molasses and wheat all blended together very well. This beer is pure sweetness. A malt bomb. The feel is slightly oily on the finish. No booze leaks through into the finish. Recommend you try it.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

For all the hype, all the great reviews, and the fact that I can get this at my nearby Kroger in Richmond, I'm now even more ridiculously impressed at how good this is. 1 pt 9 oz bottle.

Appearance: Lacing isn't crazy, but the head stays put on top of the beer, dissipating slowly with each pour. Unfiltered wheat haze with amber and brown undertones.

Smell: A fantastic mesh of clove, banana, slight cream, and malt at the forefront. Some slight dark fruit and chocolate undetones. This is absolutely ridiculous it's so good, and I'm having trouble getting my nose out of it.

Taste: As I'm tasting this, I'm thinking to myself, "Is this for real?" Beautiful malt sweetness, banana, clove, and cream. The aftertaste lingers for long on the tongue, and it should be savored. I have to say, the complexity here is NOT the point; it's that what's here is balanced so smoothly, so beautifully, and so tastefully, that it certainly, to me, warrants an exceptional rating. So goddamn good.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium to full-bodied, medium carbonation that fits the creamy and fuller body of the beer. Wonderful.

Drinkability: I had no clue what I was in for. This may be the beer that I expected worlds from and finally got them in return. I can't wait to get more of this, and that it's so readily available to me makes it almost laughable.

I wish I hadn't had Aventinus as my first Weizenbock, but either way I'm certainly getting some more. Regardless off what kind of beer is your favorite, a bottle of this is cheap enough to try, and even it wasn't, you should at least try this.

Vintage 2000.
Looks like clay-infused cola. Darkish brown and opague.
Nose is raisiny with notes of vanilla, rum, sherry, and cognac. But not in an alcoholc sense. Loads of cloves, and chocolate covered bananas.
Begins with an enveloping caramel sweetness. It makes stops at bananas and chocolate, then ventures towards spice. White pepper and clove are foremost, but futher attention provides nutmeg and ginger. The finish is full of black grape skin, covered in white chocolate, vanilla and nougat. Brown sugar, rum, and bourbon all make cameos, but this is never over-boozy nor oversweet. Actually, alcohol is phased out entirely, and merely carries suggestions of related flavors. Ends with a bath of grape, vanilla and herb. Good lord!
Medium bodied, with dashing carbonation. This screams for additional draughts. And lots of them.
I appear to fancy this more than the non-aged Aventinus. It's a glorious brew and well worth the inflated price. All things considered, I'll purchase the standard issues and age them myself....and hope they turn out just as well.

Damn!

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

A - A billowing finger of thick vanilla-hued cream is suspended above a murky chocolaty-brown brew...thick and ominous as a NYC sewer (remember Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?) This looks like the muck that baby alligators slither through as they grow into subterranean monsters beneath the city. Head retention is disappointing, but expected due to the high ABV. Swirling whips up some thick creamy lace that slides back down into the small pillowy head.

S - Chocolate cake, tootsie rolls, prune juice, ripe plums, dates, and raisins. Damn that's complex! I'm smelling something new every time I stick my nose in the glass. Initially the aromas are dark fruit and sweet chocolate, then a citrus and tropical fruit freshness from the wheat really livens things up! Melon and fruity chewing gum (tropical fruit Bubba Yum) notes are there too.

T - Rich dark fruit and dried tropical fruits. Dates, raisins, and prunes make up the dark side of the beer (the Mr Hyde, if you will) and the dried apricots and tropical mango flavors bring out something sunny and entirely new (the nice friendly Dr. Jekyll). Outstanding balance and depth of flavor, with a hearty alcohol kick at the end. Wow.

M - Full bodied with very silky and understated carbonation. Some sugar is left on the palate, but is quickly bitch-slapped by a wall of booze that leaves the mouth slightly dry and warm. The finish goes on for days, with lingering dark fruit again...transitioning from dark-to light- to dark again at the finish.

D - Ridiculously good beer. One of the best for a high ABV and high malt content lover like me (I think my love of scotch has influenced my taste in beer...I like to feel a little heat after the swallow. I make fun of people who drink light, or (even worse) ultralight beer...I often share with them the estimated calorie content of a boozy malt bomb like this one....roughly 300-400 I guessing? No wonder German monks invented doppelbocks to get them through the Lenten fasting periods! It's liquid food!

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the Doppelbock (not really a Weizebock to my tastebuds) that all others should be judged against. Quite simply, there is no other that comes close to Aventinus. A true gift from the gods. Schneider hit the jackpot with this one and it's hard for me to forsee it ever being beaten.

Yes it's that good! Try it, you won't be disappointed!

I could drink this along side Weinstephan VITUS and KORBINIAN for the rest of my days and die a happy man! The only 3 Weiz beers you ever need drink again!

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle; dated 2008. The bottle comes in a paper wrapping covered with factoids about that year -- a fun little read. Pours the same beautiful dark red/brown as the non-aged Aventinus.
Smell: amazing what 6 years in a cave does to this beer. Gone is the big banana/ester/dark fruit smell that dominates the non-aged version. Now there are more malts, bread, but also a different fruity aroma more like a good wine.
Taste: Wow. Just the best German beer I've ever had. More like a doppelback than a wheat beer. Whereas the non-aged version of this reminds me of a deluxe hefe, this beer reminds more of, say, Ayinger Celebrator, but so much better and more complex.
Mouthfeel is smooth. No other word for it.
Overall, as noted, the most interesting and best German beer I've yet had.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

The local store has aged bottles of this from 2004-2007. I picked up one of each. I had the 2006 a few weeks ago. This review is for the 2004 bottle. I poured the bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Pours a nice dark brown. Under a light it shows a reddish/orange hue around the edges. Head dissipated very quickly but maintains a lace around the rim.

S: Very Malty with a dark fruity nose to it with a hint of banana

T: The 2004 has a much maltier taste than the 2006 I recently enjoyed. I am going to attribute this mostly to the fact that there is very little carbonation at this point. The lack of carbonation seems to really bring out the caramel in the malt.

M: Very little carbonation at this point in its life. This is both a blessing and a curse. While i believe the mouthfeel suffers because it becomes extremely smooth almost to the point where it is syrupy... However, it does bring out other aspects of the flavor (the malt) that I never have picked up in this oft-enjoyed beer.

O: Definitely a great beer. One of the best Weizens around. Very (dangerously) drinkable at upwards of 8%. However, I would say that the 2006 definitely is a better vintage to be enjoyed at this point in time (2012).