Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

YOUR RATING = None |

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,103 | Ratings: 4,369
3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured a thick brown with a white, fluffy, creamy head that left a slippery residue on my lips.

Smell was intense. Malty rich with cinnamon and other spices (similar to a Belgian Quad).

Taste was similar to smell but less intense than anticipated.

Body was somewhat thinner than expected.

A good beer overall but it fell short of my expectations.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Picked up this purported best Weizenbock in the world tonight for a cool $4.39. I'm sure it's half that price or less in Germany. 8.2% ABV confirmed. 1 pint .9 fl oz brown glass bottle with sophisticated label art and white branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its country of origin, traditional brewing methods, the style (coupled with the country of origin), and its current ratings. Bottle fermented. When I acquired it earlier tonight, it was in the store's refrigerated section - which makes me feel at ease even if there isn't a best before date. Besides, I doubt a fairly old weizenbock would drink poorly.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a massive head - 90% of the glass and about 8 fingers in thickness. Appearance is beautiful with a soft frothy complexion - gorgeously smooth and seemingly refined. One of the best heads I've seen in ages. Lacing is perfect, coating the sides of the glass evenly and consistently as the head slowly recedes. Retention is incredible for the ABV - about 10+ minutes. I won't be waiting that long to sip it given how inviting it appears.

The body colour is less exciting than the head. It's a dark nontransparent caramel-brown. Slight translucence, but it largely blocks out light. Solid. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Carbonation seems perfect; the bottle conditioning seems to be a success. Hugely excited to try this.

Sm: Lovely nutty notes. Intoxicating bready malts. An amazing rustic wheat backbone. Fresh alive biscuity yeast redolent of vitamins and fermented grains. Fuck that wheat is lovely. Extremely subtle hints of vague dark fruit; not prune or date or most of the dark fruits you'd expect from something like a good quadrupel - more bright cherry, ripe plum, and dark apple skin. The plum in particular comes through more as it warms. Clove spice. A magnificent aroma for the style. Moderate in strength, with impressive subtlety. I can't wait to try it. Any hopping is minimal in strength and floral in character. No alcohol is detectable.

T/Mf: Shocked the plum comes through as much - and as well - as it does. The clove note is majestic here, very evocative and fresh. There's no artifice here; this beer tastes as natural as can be. Carbonation is downright perfect. The wheat foundation at the core of the flavour profile is refreshing and perfectly guides the central focus of the beer - refreshing qualities meeting deep diverse flavour - whilst holding everything in balance and lending it a natural sense of cohesion. Hints of biscuity malts lend it a bit more body and accentuate the spicy clove. Lightly nutty. No alcohol is detectable.

The mouthfeel features delightful smoothness and wetness which keeps the beer refreshing in spite of its high alcohol - which isn't at all noticeable - and its "dark" character - which is flavorful but never overbearing. Presentation on the palate is excellent. Body is excellent. Thickness is excellent. There's just enough dryness to coax out the flavours more, but I would like more coarseness to complement. Shockingly light and pleasant on the palate for the style/ABV.

I do get some nice biscuity yeast notes, which also add a dash of spice (and are probably the source of the clove notes to boot)

Dr: Incredibly drinkable for the high ABV and style. I'd definitely get this again, preferably a litre's worth fresh on-draught in classic German fashion. For my money, it's certainly one of the - if not the - best beers in the style. Pretty well priced as an import. Special in my mind; I don't have many traditional German beers that evoke notes of plum - or dark fruit at all. I'd recommend it to friends. Makes me more interested in this brewery.

All of the above said, it may be the best beer I've had in the style, but it still doesn't hit the upper echelons of wow-dom. It's a damn good beer, but it's not blowing my mind. As such, it doesn't quite cross into my upper ratings; an A- or higher has to be truly great and I don't give such ratings out lightly. There's room for improvement here in spite of its high quality. I remain optimistic that there's an even better weizenbock out there, but this will be stiff competition. Incredibly well-executed stuff.

B+

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

I recently tried a few weizenbocks and did a little comparing, this was a good weizenbock, but a little heavy for my taste. This poured a hazy dark brown with a tall off-white head. Smells of wheat banana and clove. Taste is similar, but included some malts. Mouthfeel was thick, too think for my taste. The heavy feel really brought down the drinkability. This is a good beer, but I would suggest checking out some others too.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Poured from 1 pint 9fl oz bottle into an over-sized wine glass. Firm pour yielded one finger of pure brilliant white head, that contrasts dramatically with the Starbucks brown body. Head fades quickly and leaves minimal lace.

Nose- slightly burnt nuttiness, caramel, notes of coffee.

Palate- Interesting, not what I was expecting. Almost porter-esque. Some dark fruit, dates, raisins, plums. As it warms it really develops. Chewy raisin. Some elements of a Belgian Quad. Dates, Alcohol. Very smooth and clean. I enjoy how some elements of a heffe come through initially, and are followed by light caramels and brooding dark fruits. Complex, each sip seems a little different.

Mouthfeel- Slick, smooth and clean.

Drinkability- Very good. Probably could not have more then 2.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

For one of the few times in my misbegotten life, I am scared! This is a huge beer and my Honey-Honey is nowhere around.

Well, now, I have a finger of light-tan head with decent retention in light of the heat and humidity. Color was a slightly hazy deep amber. Nose smelled heavily of red grapes, like a preparation for wine and now I was shaking! Mouthfeel was smooth and the nose had nothing to do with it. This was a semi-sweet beer with an alcohol content that would put any of us on the road to perdition. Finish was deadly smooth and all of a sudden, I felt the urge to operate heavy machinery. This may be the devil's work!

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Nice thick foamy head, light tan in color, a little overcarbonated though. There's definitely some alcohol present in the aroma, mixed in with some yeast and banana. The liquid has a creamy brown color to it. The alcohol aroma carrys over into the taste, and ends up as a warm feeling in you belly. The taste is just a little bit sweet, with maybe a little caramelized banana in there. Strong, but smooth beer, maybe more of a fall beer than a summer one.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

a - Pours an attractive dark, clear brown. Very little head or lacing to speak of.

s - smells of banana, clove, rasin, fig, grape, and a bit of soy

t - all the crazy yeasty flavors as the smell would indicate. not so much of a soy thing going on in the taste thankfully

m - nice prickly mouthfeel with a sticky finish

d - relatively drinkable but I certainly couldn't pound these. I think you can taste all of the 8% abv.

3.88/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

2009 vintage. Pretty dark pour, not too much head, looks almost like a trendy hard root beer. Tons of alcohol esters coming from the nose, very sweet with a black grape must aroma as well as moist fig and cola. A lot of that carries over to the taste profile, with the cola flavor being surpringly noticeable. Dark fruit (date, raisin) weaving around with the alcohol esthers gives it a high booze taste. Very little perceptible hops or malt but thats not surprising given the style and age, though there are some caramel malt flavors in it. Thin mouthfeel, almost watery. I havent had too many weizenbocks so I was taken aback that it wasn't as malty and hefty as some German beer, but it definitely is a good beer and should be tried once.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Very nice appearance with a clear amber color capped with a huge creamy white head.

The typical weizen clove phenolic is evident in the aroma, but competes for attention with a fruity/candy kind of sweetness.

Bubble-gum sweet flavor with some alcohol undertones. No discernible hop, and settles gently into a sweet, slightly spicy finish.

Brutally carbonated, but that is in the style. Medium to med-full body, with minimal alcohol warming - alcohol character very well controlled for an 8% ABV beer. No astringency, and very nice on the tongue in general.

I personally wouldn't throw back a bunch of these (too sweet, and too much alcohol), but a pleasant to drink, big wheat beer.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

pint bottle into an imperial pint glass. Pours a very cloudy brown with a nice head. Sweet malty smell with some bread smell. Bananas and malt in the taste. Nice carbonation, crisp mouthfeel. Strong alcohol is very well masked. As good in the style as I have had.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Love the purple label, makes the bottle stick out on a shelf. This pours a dark ruby color with slightly off white head that just billows in my hefe glass. Just from the 16.9 oz. bottle it felt like I had to do a Guinness pour just to get the whole damn bottle in the glass. Good off the bat. The smell has a whisk of alcohol to it already and this is dead "bock" cold, and it shows in the taste right after the immediate sip is taken. Has alot of character to it underneath though, its just the alcohol masks it fairly heavily unfortunately... ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE WHEAT INFLUENCE!!! The mouthfeel is quite good, and makes for an interesting mix of wheat ale character and bock sweetness. A very interesting beer, however not my style. Well...not yet at least. I recommend it as something every BA should try.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

It pours with a huge cream colored head that dissipates after about a minute or so, leaves very little lacing. Thousands of tiny bubbles come up from bottom of glass during the entire expoerience. It's a clear copper-brown.

The aroma is grainy almost like wet hay with slight hints of banana and brown sugar. There is just the slightest hint of hop bouquet.

The flavor is sweet and malty, again with faint hints of raisins, prunes, and licorice. Tha alcohol comes through a little bit on this one and no hop finish to speak of at all.

Good carbonation and body.

An enjoyable beer. i am not a big fan of wheat beers, they always have that wet hay/grass aroma, but this was a good beer.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

A light spicy aroma with some banana and malt overtones. Color is an opaque brownish dark amber with bubbly off white head that starts tall and slowly dissapears with no retention. Taste is lightly sweet and bitter and a nice creamy medium body. Lively carbonation as bubbles arise for quite a long time. Finish has a definite alchohol note. I definitely like this beer but may not be my favorite in this category.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Picked this up a few weeks ago from a local liquor store. Never tried it before, was told it was good, and the 25 oz. bottle is always nice to split with someone for a 2nd opinion. I've only had the Ramstein Winter Wheat, in terms of other weizenbocks, and I thought this was just a tad below it ratingswise.

Nice, dark pour to this beer, with a wonderfully thick head, and minimal lacing. I could easily taste the chocolate and cloves to this, but I thought it had too much tartness up front, and behind, and if I was given this blindfolded, I would have sworn that there was way more alcohol in it than the 8.0% listed. For me, I don't mind a beer having an alcohol/heavy taste to it, but I prefer it to be more subdued, unless it's been aged, heavily hopped, or just high in ABV content. It didnt' defer from my enjoyment of this - I thought it was smooth for the most part, but it didn't help either. The spiciness could be tasted here too, but it wasn't as apparent as the spices in an Octoberfest. On that aspect, this beer pretty much got it right on the nose.

This would be great for the summer, since it's easy on the flavors, but has a nice warming aspect to it that makes it great for cold-weather enjoyment as well. Certainly worth a shot - just don't drive home after having one of these!

3.88/5  rDev -10%

I almost can't review this beer fairly. I love it. It was my very first exposure to Doppelbock.

Pours a dark, rich color. The yeasty smell, combined with clove and vanilla is balanced with a slight fig flavor in the mid palate. I get chocolate on the back palate. Very faint.

Moderate to light carbonation gives the beer a rich mouthfeel.

I just love this beer.

500 ml bottle poured into an Aventinus glass at Mill Valley Beerworks

A - pours with about 1.5 finger head, probably off white. It's a little dark in here. Beer is a dark brown, but when held up to te light has a really pleasant garnet/dark copper look. Clear but hazy. A round and inviting looking beer with many tiny bubbles rising from the bottom. Head retention is decent and the bubbles slowly work their way down the inside of the glass into the beer. If head ever disappears it only takes another swig to bring it back. Nice looking beer.

S - pleasant biscuity yeast aroma with hints of clove and dried fruit. Some bubblegum as it warms. Aroma is not a wow, but it is good.

T - starts and evolves like the aroma, but more intense. Cloves and dried fruit into bubble gum. Very enjoyable. I'm preferring the flavor after it warms up a little. Even warmer and some apple cider makes an appearance.

M - nice and creamy at first. Little watery as you swallow, but overall this is a nice pillowy beer.

O - a great beer that must be tried at least once. I have had this a few times before and this is the 2nd best I've had it. Best was on tap at Wurstkuche in LA in the proper glass. Worst was from the bottle into the wrong glass at home. The glass makes a big difference apparently. Try this beer. At *least* once...

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Purchased from Strong Bros. Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN.

An excellent pour from a 16.9 oz bottle leaves a thick foamy head atop a deep roasted brown body. Looks thick and inviting, very high marks for appearance here. Topping off the glass from the bottle only increases the overall head and thus, the overall experience.

Interesting aroma, full of malty presence and smelling very much like a dopplebock. It has that "roasted" flavor that I associate strongly with memories of the crock-pot growing up, beneath which it has a greater complexity of citrus and a hint of banana. I've never had a weizenbock before, but I imagine it's supposed to smell something like a hefeweizen mixed with a dopplebock. High marks.

Very interesting flavor. Kind of tangy up front with the citrus taste, with more of a coffee, almost stoutish backend. Fascinating in the way the two flavors mix together -- it almost seems like flavors this disparate would get in each other's way, but here I think it works pretty well. Slight astringent flavor due to the high alcohol.

Mouthfeel is thick and prominent as anticipated, but it goes down smoothly and easily. Not the highlight of the beer, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Overall drinkability is decent -- I like this beer just fine, and will buy it again, but it's not one of my favorites, and at nearly five dollars a bottle, these are a bit steep on the price for regular consumption.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Reviewed on 4/6/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy brown with a medium-sized white head. Aroma of light fruits and some BBQ sauce, if you search for it. Taste of bubblegum, spices (clove), and some vegetable. A very good weizenbock, although I'm not sure I'm a fan of the style as a whole. 7/4/8/4/15 (3.8/5)

3.87/5  rDev -10.2%

Alright Mr. Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock, I could care less about your reputation and your clammering, twitching following. We've had something of a history together, and an abrasive one at that. Long ago, before I ever had a real job, I had my first sip of you right from the bottle before I figured things out (hey dunderhead, pour it into a glass, just like that Unibroue you once tried to drink out of the bottle!). You swore me off wheat ale, especially German wheat ales for years and years. The last time I tried you, a mere 4 months ago, and after many other multinational samplings, I described you to the waitress and my friends as similar to chewing on a wet IKEA throw-rug--yes, I am clever, and got points for creativity on that one. Oh, but ever since then I've been training, working hard, saying my prayers, taking my vitamins, watching the tapes over and over again, figuring things out. Oh yeah, I think I'm ready for you once again. Come over here tough guy...

You all know what the bottle looks like, I poured it out of that. It's a rather intimidating, yet somehwat appealing hazy (murky) deep mahogany colour, massive beige head on the pour, spilling over, bursting at the seams. But that soon fades away, leaving me to deal with the matter at hand. The nose is quite nice, never noticed it much before now, rather inviting. Spicy and rummy, hints of preserved fruit, like the jarred cherries my Baba used to make. Quite intense. Flavour is very similar. It's something I've yet to find the words for. Wet IKEA throw-rug is not it though, I stand corrected. Like spiced buttered rum mixed with fruit, and then that elusive special ingredient (oh yeah, banana, that's it!). Yeah, this is pretty good stuff. Not the cat's ass like everyone else makes it out to be, but not as bad as I first took it to be either. Not a big fan of the style, couldn't drink more than one in a sitting, but I'm willing to give it the respect it deserves. I'd rather have a Unibroue instead. I think I will...

3.87/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance - medium to dark hazy brown color that starts out with a nice off-white/light tan head, steady bubbly carbonation

Smell - light aromas overall, would have liked a stronger nose for all the nice sweet whiffs, light banana, wheat

Taste - bready wheat, yeasty film on palate, fruity sweet bang in middle of tasting

Mouthfeel - scrubbing bubble-like busy carbonation, almost a nuisance

Drinkability - easy drinking, could not feel the 8.2%???

Would try again, though not my style, smell hinted to memories of Germany...ahhh....Germany

3.87/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a deep red brown color with a slightly off-white head that is smaller in stature than I'd have thought it might be ... appears well carbonated, and some residual yeast in the pour toward the end. The nose is what I'd expect from a Weizenbock ... wheat, sweet malt, and a hint or two of mollasses. The pronounced yeast character almost smells Belgian to me. Palate is a nice agressive up front with good yeast and malted grain notes. Strong carbonation. Some slight spiciness, but mostly the sweet malts and a little banana bread suggestion. The mouthfeel is highly carbonated, but well balanced with the sweetness finishing pleasingly dry. Medium mouthfeel over all. I like this ... I can't say it quite lives up to the expectations I had for it, based on reputation, but this is a solid, Weizenbock all the way. If you're one for the style, it's a must try.

3.87/5  rDev -10.2%

500mL bottle. Pours a cloudy, earthy brown color with very little head. Aroma of clove, banana, yeast, earthiness and a bit sweet. Taste is much like the smell. Spices, banana, sweet grains, and breadiness. Has a bit of that banana bread flavor. Boozey taste is present but not too overwhelming. This one reaches a nice balance of flavor while not having too much spice flavor to it. Overall, its not a style I often have but this is certainly one of the better Weizenbocks out there. Worth grabbing for sure.

3.87/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance: Rich brown with a very tan head... tons of very tan head. The beer itself is a little hazy, with no lacing and weak head retention, but it's still pretty on the intial pour.

Smell: A mix of blackberry cheesecake, molasses, chocolate and banana... quite the nasal experience.

Taste: Dark chocolat runs the show with supporting characters of molasses, banana, fudge, breadiness. The aftershow is lead by a strawberry character that allows the brew to clear the palate nicely.

Mouthfeel: Alcohol is the major presence here, and really makes the brew enjoyable to the palate.

Drinkability: This beer stays interesting through the whole session which is helped by its full flavored nature. The one draw back is how rich it is.

3.87/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from16.9oz brown bottle into a clear glass snifter. Purchased in 2009 at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $4.25.

A: Honey-gold with scant, wispy off-white head with a minimum of lace around the glass.

S: Banana and honey mix with some lightly toasted malt, light herbal hops, and bready yeast.

T: Very sweet and delectable with a light fruitiness of banana and apple cider coupled with bready yeastiness. Very good, but very sweet.

M: Very silky mouthfeel with an initial punch of carbonation that dissipates with warming and a soft, banana bread aftertaste.

D: A good beer, but I guess I'm a little underwhlemed by this brew -- very sweet, not cloying, but lacking some in complexity. I will give a fresh bottle a run sometime and see if the time in the cellar hurt this guy.

3.86/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received this 500ml bottle in a trade with deepsouth. Poured into a weizen glass.

Pours like a glass of champagne. Very fizzy with lots of head, even when poured gently. This head disappears in no time. The color is beautiful. A nearly opaque deep brown like of a silky smooth Belgian Strong Dark. Several medium sized dark brown floaters. No lacing.

Smell is even reminiscent of fine champagne. Very carbonated, even in the nose. The wheat/weiss qualities are apparent, but pleasant. I usually am not fond of this style, but this one is very appealing. Yeast, raisins, figs, bananas, sweet malts and all earthy at the same time. A class of its own in smell.

Trying so hard to like this one, but the wheat/weiss qualities are too much for me. Granted this is what the style is, but those are the qualities I don't like in a beer. The complexities of the nose are lost in the taste.

Light bodied. Fizzy mouthfeel.

The best I've had of this style.