Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

YOUR RATING = None |

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,103 | Ratings: 4,370
4.81/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: It pours a dark hazy amber with a 3” creamy, lightly tan tinted white foam collar that persists and grips the side of the glass leaving behind thick lace.
S: Big clove nose with traces of banana.
T: Goes down like a rich banana bread spiced with clove.
F: A highly carbonated big bodied beer that feel like a barely liquid mousse.
O: A fantastic beer!

4.81/5  rDev +11.6%

A - Holy cow. Dark cloudy brown with a HUUUGE head, and I wasn't even trying. Giant bubbles quickly break down though, into a loose covering. Head retention is the weak point of this brew. Looks good though (except the head)

S - Yeast is first and foremost, with a strong menthol like coolness in the bottle. In the glass ripe dark fruits explode.

T - Mixed berries and mild bitterness. A touch of that cooling menthol/alcohol is noticeable. Who'd a thunk a beer could clear your sinuses. Sweetness that matches the fruit well, and a tartness follow. Some spiciness now - cloves maybe a touch of anise.

M - Medium bodied, maybe on the heavier side, but not at all chewy. Drying finish. Carbonation is a bit biting but short lived in the mouth - champagne like.

D - Another please. I pick up more tomorrow. Absolutely fabulous.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Aroma -bannana, bright plum, alcohol, berries, clove, - basically smells like hefe with great added complexity, little sugary

App - opaque plum color with loud, lively carbonation, head retention is not awesome but nontheless impressive for the strength of the beer

Taste - Wonderfully deep malt flavor is kept levitating on the palate by the wheat. Hefe yeast's signature banana/ clove combo runs through the whole thing with a nice raisin character. Stone fruits appear every now and then. Wheat dries out the finish. Alcohol is there but you've really gotta look for it.

MF- Wheat and carbonation really seem to play a key role in keeping this strong, full-bodied beeer from coating the palate.

What a magical beer style. Complex but humble and, knowing the Germans, probably a realatively simple grain bill. This is maybe the most drinkable beer upward of 7% ABV I've ever had. Could get into some real trouble with this one flowing on tap.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Just the best example of the style. A huge head that arrives explosively and stays for eternity. The beer stays covered. Vigorous carbonation is easily seen even though the brew is an opaquely cloudy mahaogany. That is before I make an effort to swirl the yeast in. A light touch of lacing in spite of the abv and low hop content.

Smell is massively fruity. Big banana, clove, raisins. Hints of anise and a spicy pepperiness. Sweet wheat malt adds a sour lemony twang.

Taste is beyond words but I'll try... Large banana yeastiness with a sweet wheat malty backbone. Clove in abundance with a subtle lemon presence, a gentle twang. Yeast dark fruit esters. A melon like juiciness. Alcoholic sweetness in the finish. A mild hop bittering and a lingering fusel note as well as graham flavored breadiness.
Feel is velvety, carbonation is creamy.

Drinkability is better that it has a right to be. While just a touch hot it nevertheless encourages you to go for it. The abv does not call out and the taste and feel is seems lighter than it is.

The paradigm for the style. It has all the attributes of a hefe and a bock in the same glass. At the same time it takes each to a new level in brewing.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer was even better than what I thought it would be. Poured just like any German wheat beer. It was exactly a said on the bottle wheat doppelbock. I would say this is cut down the middle all the goodness from a wheat beer and all the malty sweetness from a great doppelbock. Poured a dark brown almost soda looking. Very gassy like most German wheat beers. Very malty slightly sweet. tasting. Finish comes off cool and refreshing but with a little more heaviness that I found not too overpowering for the summer.

In all this is a beer that is among the best in my book. Definately in my top ten.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

My first review, so take with a grain of salt. This is just what my young palate was able to pick up.

Poured a dark ruby color with a beautiful off-white inch thick head.

Nose was slightly chocolate, fruity banana-like esters.

I drank some without the yeast, and some with:
w/out: crisp carbonation up front leading to pleasant sweetness in the middle with tons of flavor and complexity I cannot even begin to describe (maybe one day). I did pick up on the spicy clove finish that the bottle describes, and finally an alcoholic warming of the tongue.
with: raisney fruitiness giving way to yeasty flavor. Flavors similar to w/out but even more complex and pleasing.

The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth--about what I expected.

I drank this slightly hungry just to make sure I could get it all down, but I ended up still getting quite full from this beer. I'm sure experience BAs could handle it with no problem, but I got quite full and surely felt that 8.2%. It's very deceptive. Make sure you take you time with this one. I imagine this would go well with grilled pork chops.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Deep brown with a large foamy ivory head. Very good retention and a good amount of lacing left over.

S - Dark malt and chocolate along with a good amount of fruit (both dark fruit and banana). Faint spices too.

T - Dark malt flavors provide a base, which includes, chocolate and caramel along with some wheat flavors. On top of this is a good amount of sweetness from fruits. Fruits include dark fruits (plums, dates, figs, raisins, and cherries) as well as banana. Also has a bit of a bubblegum flavor and some spices (clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg being the major ones). A bit of a warming alcohol taste finishes the sip.

M - Medium to full body with a fairly high level of carbonation. Creamy and sticky feel make it feel even more full bodied.

D - Probably a bit too sweet and a bit too heavy (as well as too high an ABV) to have multiple ones of this in one sitting, at least consecutively. However, a sipper that I would gladly sip on again.

Notes: Really good beer. Good Hefe flavors mixed with the big, dark maltier flavors of a Doppelbock/BSDA. A bit like liquid candy/sweet juice and a bit like rum. Lots of good flavors, definitely a nice sipper.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

I am very excited to try this brew as the regular version is probably my overall favorite beer. The bottle comes wrapped in paper with some purple type printed on it. Brewed in 2000 mixed with events that occurred that year. I peel back the paper and find the bottle cap to be a little rusty, hmmm could be a bad sign but I press on.
The cap pops right off.
The brew pours similar to the yearly offering. Soft creamy off white head foams up very easily, nice tight latticework. Color in my chalice is a rich,clear, dark red color.
Aroma, is yeasty bread, cherries, maybe grapes and actually birch beer. This last scent throws me a little but its there.
First sip gives me a fine prickly carbonation and slightly thick body.
Flavor is rich and complex. I get a sweet malty hit up front followed quickly by bready yeast flavor and then tart sour cherries and the finish brings back the birch beer from the aroma.
This is a very good complex beer that I think has improved greatly with 3 years in a cave. I am going to buy more of these if I see them for sure!

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into a Hefeweizen glass.

A - Pours the color of dark raw honey. Very light head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S - Mild strength overall smell. Dominant blend of malt and banana with a hint of cloves.

T - Tastes like spiked banana bread with mild clove and vanilla notes. Very slight hops bitterness on the aftertaste.

M - Light and very smooth, almost buttery.

D - Very drinkable and refreshing.

At $4.00 for 500ml I'll definitely be purchasing again. Only faults were for the head that disappears quickly and the week overall smell.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into a pils glass.

A: A beautiful dark amber with a huge 3-4 finger head. The head settles pretty quickly (likely due to the high ABV). No lacing to speak of.

S: Aromas of the obvious banana. Also picking up sweet grains, some funky peat, and a little clove.

T: WOW! Delicious and complex. Banana, clove, dark cherry, some chocolate, sweet malts. There is a distinct sweetness that comes out as the beer warms.

M: Medium to chewy. This is smooth and creamy with some body. Carbonation is perfect. Alcohol seems non-existent at 8.2%.

D: This beer goes down smooth. Amazing beer. I love this brew. Definitely in my top 10. I am blown away by the flavor, balance, and complexity. The finish leaves me wanting more and more. World class stuff for sure!

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

This is by far one of the best beers i've ever had. Poured to a medium cloudy brown with a fast forming thick head, not bad. Smell is of sweet grains, enough to make you want it.

Taste is amazing, a slight sweetness and a body that fills the mouth, Smoother than anything i've ever drank, goes down so so easily. Making this one of the most drinkable and delicious things I've ever had.

My only fear is that there won't be any of this left next time i go to buy beer.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Had on tap while in Germany. Poured a dark cola looking color. Nice frothy white head.
S: Smell is of banana and hefe yeast. Also has a fruity scent in there.
T: Tastes real sweet. Lots of different flavors in there: banana, dark fruits, yeast, wheat.
M: Mouthfeel is perfect, creamy and very smooth going down.
D: Drinkability was awesome this beer went down very well, the high ABV is very well hidden in this beer.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

"Germany's original Wheat-Doppelbock Ale" on the label. I used to think that bock implied lager, but now I know otherwise. I have heard wonderful things about this beer and so I am curious; it's supposed to be the ultimate in wheat beers. We shall see if it lives up to this claim.

Look - Poured into a weizen glass a cloudy brown, maple syrup like color. Thick off white head as is typical for wheat beers.

Nose - The scent of clove is very intense. Bananna goodness is there as well. Deep chocolate sweetness...alcohol is their but doesn't completely dominate the situation.

Taste - This is the clove and bananna bomb to end all clove and bananna bombs! Next I'm blasted by a rich maltiness that I have not noticed in wheat beers before. Chocolate is here but it is balanced by bitterness of hops, alcohol, and clove spiciness. I can see also why some say that this tastes like bubblegum; there is a definite bubblegum flavor there but it is not bad at all. I like to think of it as chocolate covered bananna. To sum this all up it as though there is a war being waged between wheat, malt, and yeast that created a symphony of complex goodness that rivals Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries. If I haven't sung the praises of this enough I will say that this beer has done the unthinkable and combined my two favorite types of beer: wheat and doppelbock. Very nice tasting and something that I will be returning to.

All of this being said I can see why some beer drinker's might not care for it much. If there is a beer spectrum that stretches from hoppy on end (IPA) to malty on the other, Aventinus would be representative of the malty side...so hopheads beware.

As I sip further I am starting to feel the warming effects of the relatively high, 8.2%, alcohol. This will be a nice beer to bring to my family's Xmas gathering to keep warm and to endure their idiotic banter.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured a 16.9 to a tall pilsner glass. Listed as 8.2%abv.

A: Rich caramel-brown, semi-cloudy. Enormous multi-finger white head, minimal lacing.
S: Tons of spice, clove, a sweetness like raisins, baked bread (wheat)...lots going on. A truly wonderful smelling beer
T: As good as the smell - lots of spice including perhaps nutmeg or cinammon, malt & wheat predominantly, some fruitiness, a hint of alcohol but very nicely balanced.
M: Medium body with a smooth, lingering malty sweetness. The persistant carbonation makes drinking this somewhat like champagne.
D: Quite enjoyable. A terrific beer for all seasons and one that will go near the top of my personal favorites. Understandable why this is such a highly rated beer.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer pours a nice deep brown. This beer didn’t have much in the way of head, most other times I’ve had this beer I've gotten a nice layer of creamy head. The aromas are of fruit and caramel, but a hint of cloves can be picked up. This is defiantly a full-bodied beer. Chocolate and cloves dominate the flavor. I absolutely love this beer and it is a staple in my beer diet. Drinking more than 3 of these would bring me to my knees. The alcohol is not as present as some other beers that I have drank with similar alc./vol.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured a hazy dark amber-brown. The frothy off white head was a few fingers deep for a few minutes before settling down to nothing. The smell is of ripe banana, dark fruit, cider and clove. Barely any alcohol was detected. More of the same in the flavor but the alcohol is definitely more noticeable. The strong dark fruit and banana flavors mix wonderfully with the wheat flavor. Medium body and slick feel. Exquisite.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into an Aventinus weizen glass. Yeast swirled and poured with the beer.

A - Pours a dark and cloudy brownish-red with an impressive off-white head that gradually dissipates into a thin layer of suds. Lacing is moderate.

S - Banana, clove, orange, dark fruit, and just a hint of alcohol.

T - Unbelievably complex. Dark fruit comes out the strongest, with some banana and spice coming through as well. The phenolic tones I caught in the nose are completely absent on the palate, which is fine by me.

M - Medium bodied, semi-dry finish. A hint of fruity sweetness lingers on the palate for just a moment, begging you to take another sip.

D - This one is as drinkable as any good dunkelweizen, despite the higher alcohol content. A finer wheat beer could not be asked for.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Finally getting around to reviewing this thing. Ive had it a few times and loved every single time.

Poured into an Aventinus glass. Caramel body with white head. The head is reflective of the ABV compared to the hefeweizen head. I get load of clove out of the nose, a slightly spicy clove. The taste is loaded with banana and clove. Theres an insane balance between the clove and banana. Full feeling in the mouth, with the yeast flavors just taking over in the best way possible. Finishes chewy and amazing.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

This is a very interesting, very enjoyable beer which I loved, although I was not sure what to expect.

Deep, murky brown with a little reddish-ochre hue to it, this has a big, dense, light tan head that slowly shrinks to a foamy ring and leaves a little weak lace.

The aroms is fruit - banana and stewed and spiced plums and pears, with a hint of burnt/caramelized pumpkin, bubblegum, whole wheat bread. It's very aromatic yet light and complex, with a definite hefeweizen element but also a stronger, bock-like quality, which seems logical.

The taste is highly interesting, lively and complex, which was what hit me before any specific flavours did. It is light, yet strongly flavoured, zesty, lively. It has a lto of fruit, spice, apple, 7-up, whole wheat bread, a hint root beer and a hint of rum - with alcohol evident but restrained and smooth. SUpposedly it's has some choclate, but I did not really get that. It does not taste its strength. it is highly drinkable and engaging.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Big off-white head, dark violet color. Chocolate aromas detected from arm's length, just after I poured it into it's own unique Aventinus glass, footed at the bottom, ballooning at the top. With a closer sniff, all kinds of things come spilling out of this aromatic cornucopia! Cloves, cocoa, anise, spices, dark fruits. Great malt, some sparkling hops, long, luxurious finish. A glorious balance between dark and light. More flavors leap to the imagination as I savor each sip...peppers, raisins, I search for other fruits, but I'll stick with grapes. Halfway through this 16.9 oz,. bottle the head has disappeared, but the flavor's still bursting through! Heavy, alcoholic, but remarkably drinkable, with spice and raisiny flavors standing triumphant. A unique creation, and one of the best sips I've ever put to my lips!

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

Look: Deep reddish brown, slightly cloudy. Big head, but it dissipates quickly with a little lacing

Smell: Cloves, and dark fruit - plums mostly

Taste: Up Front: All kinds of spices, but cloves stand out. Finish: Banana, raisin, prune, clove, sweet & roasted malt

Mouthfeel: Medium body, smooth & thick with low/medium carbonation

Drinkability: Oh My ME, that was easy to drink! So smooth and decadent!

Overall Impression: This Weizenbock from Germany is hands down, the best one I've had to date. Very complex from start to finish. I truly have never cared much for Wheat Beers, but this one changes everything. I could drink this any time! Highly recommended!

Schneider Aventinus
From tap to Aventinus glass 07/28/2010

A: Thanks to Toronado SD's little Private Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider promo, I was served Aventinus in it's own glass, which I got to keep. It's pours a deep, cloudy, leather-brown with red hues. Even though it's dim in Toronado, no light passes through this ale. Lots of carbonation and a two-finger head. Lots of immediate lacing which seems to collapse under its own weight and doesn't stick

S: The Bavarian yeasts are very noticeable with banana and clove as the most prominent scents. Some citrus is also in there.

T: This tastes exactly like it smells with banana and clove washing over your tongue. The hops nicely balance the malty sweetness with citrus notes, leaving a perfectly clean finish. The 8% alcohol is completely hidden, even as the beer warms, but a bready, chocolaty undertone becomes noticeable. These flavors work perfect together and are remarkably balanced.

M: One of the more viscous and creamy wheat ales I've had (I've avoided wheat ales because of my dissatisfaction with a lot of the popular American varieties)
Definitely the consistency of a 'big' beer.

D: With the amazing balance it's hard to stop drinking this. I could easily drink 4 or 5 more but I have to drive home. There are enough layers of flavors to keep any beer geek interested, but I can't imagine anyone who likes beer not liking this.

Notes: Well, I think this is going to be my gateway drug to German beer. I've had a few here and there, but I find many of the American beers that call themselves 'Hefeweizens' complete boring, which led me to avoid 'real' hefeweizens, and I haven't had a wheat ale in a long time. Not to mention, when I moved to San Diego, I found Karl Strauss (which used to specialize in German-style beer) to be the weaker of the amazing local breweries (not so much anymore, Karl Strauss has really stepped up their game). Schneider Aventinus just completely converted me, thank god Toronado SD sent out their promo email. This is truly a remarkable beer - I think I'm going on a weizenbock binge, as I have been with IPA's.

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

This one was a good find at the beer store. A 3 year old aged Aventinus specially packaged. From the information hanging off the bottle: "Therefore, in 1999, the Schneider brewery decided to age 240 cases of Aventinus each year in their historical ice cellar in Kelheim with each batch held for a minimum of 3 years." The result is quite yummy. Pours light brown in color with a haze. Smell is of bananas and yeast. Taste is heavenly. Bananas, lemon juice, minimal cloves. I wish I had a new one to compare against. Perhaps this is worth another trip back to the store! $5.49 for 500ml bottle. If you see it, it is worth it. Label says hints of softer chocolate, clay, and sherry when aged. Excuse me if I didn't pick up on all of these.

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured this 1 pint plus .9 fl. oz. bottle into my tall Schöfferhofer Weizen glass and, man, I haven't seen a better looking beer in a long time. HUGE, rocky tan head capped off the glass like a royal staff. Amazing bubbling action. Bubbles vigorously shot up the entire length of the glass and built up so much speed that they were forcing other bubbles to some to shoot down a little and then wiggle back up. It was cool to watch and I'm probably not explaining it well.

Aroma of ripe banana, brown sugar, and wonderfully historic musty-smelling malts.

The banana is front and center in the taste. There's faint apple, and caramel malts laced with burnt brown sugar.

Mouthfeel was velvety, yet carbonated enough. Perfect.

This one really speaks to me, It's a classic. So flavorful and delicious. I need to seek out the aged versions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Review of 2006 vintage, on 5/13/2011.

Appears a deep mahogany in color. Sudsy head dissipates to a film quick, thought the film stays around. No lace. Huge difference in the head between the aged version and the "off-the-boat" version which was frothy and billowy.

The aroma gives off a single profile that has the original flavors I remember from the "fresh" version folded into each other. But I can make out banana, dark fruit (plum & apple) and notes of chocolate.

The taste is also a combination of so many flavors into one massive layered profile. It's harder to dissect the flavor profile on the aged version as everything is blended so much. But I can taste cherry, caramel, banana, plum, and apple, all layered with a kiss of chocolate. Overall, it's similar fig, but sweeter. And it gets even sweeter in the last 3rd of the glass.

Meadium-heavy body that has a creamy core with crisp edges.

Drinkability isn't bad. Good at first, but diminishes as you get further along.

I was really looking forward to the vintage. I enjoyed it, but realized in the end that I prefer the fresher version. I still recommend trying to the aged version.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

For all the hype, all the great reviews, and the fact that I can get this at my nearby Kroger in Richmond, I'm now even more ridiculously impressed at how good this is. 1 pt 9 oz bottle.

Appearance: Lacing isn't crazy, but the head stays put on top of the beer, dissipating slowly with each pour. Unfiltered wheat haze with amber and brown undertones.

Smell: A fantastic mesh of clove, banana, slight cream, and malt at the forefront. Some slight dark fruit and chocolate undetones. This is absolutely ridiculous it's so good, and I'm having trouble getting my nose out of it.

Taste: As I'm tasting this, I'm thinking to myself, "Is this for real?" Beautiful malt sweetness, banana, clove, and cream. The aftertaste lingers for long on the tongue, and it should be savored. I have to say, the complexity here is NOT the point; it's that what's here is balanced so smoothly, so beautifully, and so tastefully, that it certainly, to me, warrants an exceptional rating. So goddamn good.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium to full-bodied, medium carbonation that fits the creamy and fuller body of the beer. Wonderful.

Drinkability: I had no clue what I was in for. This may be the beer that I expected worlds from and finally got them in return. I can't wait to get more of this, and that it's so readily available to me makes it almost laughable.

I wish I hadn't had Aventinus as my first Weizenbock, but either way I'm certainly getting some more. Regardless off what kind of beer is your favorite, a bottle of this is cheap enough to try, and even it wasn't, you should at least try this.