Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH
Germany | website

Style: Weizenbock

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,111 | Ratings: 4,386
4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Good brew! Smooth, low IBU, dark fruits, wheat, banana, spices. This was different than the Ayinger weizenbock that I've had. Beeradvocate lists this as a "weizenbock" but they take different approaches to the style. Excuse my memory, but the Ayinger version seemed more what I would imagine a weizenbock to taste like. This reminded me much more of a dopplebock. While I will certainly drink a dopplebock, it isn't my favorite German style (although my second highest reviewed beer is a dopplebock... go figure). If I were to compare this to Ayinger's dopplebock: "Celebrator" I'd have to rate this one below that beer. Celebrator is at the top of the charts. This Schneider seems like a hybrid weizenbock and dopplebock together. I can respect that. It's tough for me because I'm not sure what I should review this as. A Weizenbock, a dopplebock, or just the pure enjoyment of the beer. The thing that this beer has going for it is that it seems like a dopplebock you can enjoy all year round. Celebrator is one of those beers you enjoy during the cold months. Its meant to be drank at a warmer temperature. This one seems like it would work even during warm days because its like it is asking to be drank at a cooler temperature. idk, just my take on this beer. Good stuff!

3.42/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours a dark brown with a big foamy, quickly-dissipating head.

The smell is really interesting. Sort of chocolatey with a warm earthiness. Maybe some dark fruits. Hard to describe, but very nice. In fact, the smell is the nicest thing about it.

The taste is... well... OK. Not as strong as the smell. Slightly hoppy with a bit of the aforementioned dark fruits.

I couldn't drink a great deal of this, but I wouldn't turn it down, either.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Warning: first weizenbock review

Appearance: Poured into an Ayinger hefeweizen glass. Good fluffy, 4 finger head. No lacing, but the faintest head is retained throughout the beer. Very nice light brown, amber color.

Aroma: With the smell of something like a fruit cobbler, I know this is gonna be good. Bananas, apples, faint spices. Very nice

Taste: I had heard people say this before, so maybe I was somewhat expecting it, but this really does taste like a Trappist, or at least Belgian dark ale. Complex, yet perfectly balanced. Some baked fruits. The wheat is not omnipresent like in hefeweizens (the only other wheat style I am somewhat familiar with), but there are hints of the same spices such as clove. It is very sweet, but not overpowering, like some chocolate stouts. There is kind of a slight butterscotch taste. The faint (but tasty) hops kick in at just the right time to override the sweetness, and then quickly fade. But the balance is key here. Not the flavors as individuals, but how the brewers have managed to bring all of the flavors into a flavor of their own. I continue to be amazed as I look at the bottle and see the 8.2% ABV, as the alcohol is almost completely not present (vs. the Aventinus Eisbock).

Mouthfeel: Smooth, pillowy. The head at the beginning blends perfectlt with the beer. Enough head retains to keep this balance up.

Drinkability: Holy #*%&($($($*@%!!! I figured that this would just be another beer that got rave reviews but just wouldn't be my thing. If I had the money I would just throw massive keg parties with nothing but Aventinus. At 8.2% ABV, this is nothing to scoff at, but I can barely taste it. Actually I can see myself getting in trouble with this brew. As the alcohol really does sneak up on you, it shouldn't be sessionable, but it just tastes so good!!!! Nonetheless, I hope to have this in my fridge more often in the future.

Note: I had originally thought that this was a regular doppelbock, but as I have not had a doppelbock either, my warning still applies

4.61/5  rDev +7%

I once went to a bar,
Flying saucer to be precise.
Where all the skirts are
Short, which is nice.
I desired a Matilda, never had it on tap
And I was told that Matilda was all out.
I sighed and said crap,
And disappointed I began to pout.
What beer would I drink?
What's new under bocks I thought?
I looked at the list and began to think,
And this new name caught
My eye. Its name was Aventinus.
So I said to the pretty waitress
Bring me an Aventinus and you should have seen us
My friends I and I with our noses press
To the pint glass
Catching a whiff of the wheat
And I, not shamed to admit, a peek at her ass.
What can I say? It's a nice treat.
We smelled the beer for three minutes,
Before I allowed a taste,
Which gave our minds all time to computes
The craziness of a wheat dopplebock. Then in haste
I took a sip of this dopplebock,
With the wheat and
I simply declared fock
As I took a stand
And declared this was rivaled by noother.
The look and head
Which may appear like manyother
Are not all that's here. The slight smell of bread,
And the wheat, oh! the wheat,
Why in a dopplebock, why not?
I wish my nose could take a weekend retreat
With this beer on a yacht.
Remembering Aventinus gives me a chubby,
Maybe it was the girl and her rear?
But instead of rubbing this stubby,
Let me say - you must try this beer.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

This beer has a deep brown opaque color. It has strong fruit smell, particular bananas and some slight prune overtones. The beer is moderately carbonated but that is balanced with the strong banana flavor. It was served on-tap with a slight head that left moderate lacing that did not stay long. The taste is sweet through and through, giving it a balanced flavor. It has a smooth taste and finish. An excellent on-tap selection.

3.32/5  rDev -23%

Dark, rich and sweet. The wheat base to the bock gives it a tall, white rockey head and removed all astringency from the mouthfeel. Aromas of cloves and very, very slight banana and vanilla aspects. The malty bock backbone and lager fermentation suppress most of the yeasty/bready fresh aspects and give it some legs in the bottle.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

It's been a while since I've had a a Dopplebock - this is a great one to come back to.

A - Dark brown with a tinge of dark maple. Heavily hazed, almost opaque. The head came on strong and left quicly with little lacing. Great carbonation flowing to the top.

S - Yeast and spice with dark fruits (grapes maybe?)

T - Med body with fig like malty sweetness, hints of clove in the finish. Lots of carbonation. Slight warming at the end followed by more carbonation.

M - Prickles of carbonation on the tongue.

D - Drinkable for the abv. No more than two for me though.

One of my favorite doppelbocks.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Poured caramel brown into a flute. Off-white head that faded quickly. Syrupy look.

S: Caramel, a bit of alcohol, plum, clove.

T: Caramel, almost maple taffee-like. Maltiness lingers on. A bit of clove pokes through. No bitterness whatsoever. Definately sweet but in a refined way.

M: Nice carbonation. Kinda thick, syrupy, not dry at all.

D: I could probably drink 2. The sweetness would get in the way after that.

Overall, a very drinkable beer although on the sweet side. I'm not used to this style but this was a very good introduction to it for me.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

Mmm an all time favorite of mine. A treat in a bottle. Poured from a 16 oz bottle into a weizen. No born on date is found.

A - Fluffy chunky two finger head that doesn't quit (I've always wanted to say that in a review). Head has a creamy color to it. Dark brown colors with a slight orange hue. Head sticks around til the end with lots of lacing. An absolutely magnificent looking beer.

S - Banana, bubble gum. Spicy, yeasty.

T - Bready, banana, bubble gum, spicy. Alcohol shows slightly at the end. Finishes with grains, wheat, bock and caramel flavors. So frigging delicious.

M - Very balanced with a medium body (its almost thick and creamy in someways). Watch yourself with this one though. The alcohol is so perfectly masked so imbibe slowly! Carbonation is perfect. Goes down so easily.

D - Could have this anytime, be it the dead of winter or on a warm sunny day. Just watch yourself though. Aesthetically beautiful with a world class flavor and balance. Enjoy!

4.41/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500 ml bottle dated 12.265 (4 months old)
A- Muddy looking medium-deep brown in color, pours a two fingers thick creamy white head, lacing and retention are ok
S- Dark wheat aroma, clove, Caramel malt, dark fruit sweetness, slight alcohol
T- Wheat, banana and clove with a nice crisp spice to it, caramel malts, dark fruit, some alcohol, flavors linger on some, diverse and delicious.
M- Medium/full body, a little creamy, gives off a carbonated zip
O- Best of both worlds of a Dopplebock and Hefeweizen in this one, no one flavor really dominates but it all goes together really nicely.Really good, It made my mouth water some. Must get more.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured often and gladly into a flute glass. Fizzy saltwater bubbles away to murky amber.

Sweet nose, dark grain, malty goodness, red licorice.

Taste is similar, mulchy flavor in an almost chocolatey way, dark oats, some banana, light grape

Sharp mouth, leaves the mouth busy warm with alcohol

A rich, savory delight. Good color, good flavor, For fans of Dunkelweizen, Dunkel lager, Eisbock, oud bruin, flanders red ale, doppelbock, and, of course weizenbock. Drink slow. Savor this king.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a solid dark amber with a light head, the essence of any bock. When held up to the light the redness can really be shown, but in a medium lit room it is a very nice, not quite black amber. The most distinguishable characteristic of this beer is banana. It is overall fruity and quite sweet, but the banana overshadows all. Other flavors present are chocolate, cola nut, and apple. there is not initial hit to the pallete, rather the malt steadily accumulates, first with banana flavor, then trailing with the others. As it warms up the flavor changes noticably, becoming even sweeter and more balanced amongst the flavors. The mouthfeel is a bit more carbnated than most other dopplebocks, and I like it. Perhaps I'm partial to my celebrator, but this beer makes a great substitute for dopplebock when you need some variety.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this at Max's during their German Beer Fest. A murky dark amber color, with no head. Agitated but no head appear, ditto with any kind of lacing.

Smell of cloves and some yeasty wheat malt.

A sweet taste, did not taste much wheat which is a good thing for me, because i'm not big on wheat beers, and the alcohol was there too. A medium mouthfeel but the alcohol was noticable.

The best beer I probably drank out of the 5 I had at the fest, so I could drank it for a minute or two.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle; dated 2008. The bottle comes in a paper wrapping covered with factoids about that year -- a fun little read. Pours the same beautiful dark red/brown as the non-aged Aventinus.
Smell: amazing what 6 years in a cave does to this beer. Gone is the big banana/ester/dark fruit smell that dominates the non-aged version. Now there are more malts, bread, but also a different fruity aroma more like a good wine.
Taste: Wow. Just the best German beer I've ever had. More like a doppelback than a wheat beer. Whereas the non-aged version of this reminds me of a deluxe hefe, this beer reminds more of, say, Ayinger Celebrator, but so much better and more complex.
Mouthfeel is smooth. No other word for it.
Overall, as noted, the most interesting and best German beer I've yet had.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured into a Aventinus glass at 55 degrees. Perfect

A - Gorgeous. I mean thick white head of like 2+ fingers with a enticing brown colo for the body. Amazing retention and lacing.

S - Wheat aromas predominate, followed but a rich caramel malty sort of sweetness. Banana and cloves are present from the yeast strain.

T - Same as the nose but better. I mean its hard to put to words how balanced and delicious this beer is. You cant stop drinking it. I mean i went through a full Aventinus glass in like 4 minutes because I constantly wanted to taste the beautiful flavors. The alcohol notes do sort of pop through right at the end but its in enjoyable way.

M - Perfect. the creamy sort of wheat feel to it which is just perfectly balanced. Medium bodied not too much and not too little.

O - This is easily the best Weiznbock in the world. Weinhestephaners comes close but this one is in a league of its own. Schneider & Son is da bomb.

4.31/5  rDev 0%

What a great looking beer. Extremely rough and unfiltered. You get the sense that this beer looks just like those consumed hundreds of years back. Pours a very murky and muddly brown. Not overly dark but a bit cloudy. Loads of sediment only add to the allure There's a pretty nice head and a bit of lacing to match The truly great aspect of this beer's appearance however, lies in the rawness. Very intense.

The smell is one of complex sweetness and spice. Nothing mindblowing, but pleasant if not intrigueing nonetheless.

Tasting this organic brew was not the slightest bit disappointing. Incredibly smooth, presenting some mild fruit (pear, banana, non-citrus) initially, and providing an almost cinammon/milmint-like spice toward the end (the bottle claims clove). Finishes extremely cleanly with a very pleasant and balanced yeastiness. The alcohol never interferes with the smoothness, yet does manage to add a pleasant "glow" toward the end (hence the 8.00% abv).

You just want to deliberately sip this brew over and over again to extract out all the greatness. Precisely what a German bier should be. Makes me want to move back. G schneider und Sohn sollen rightig stolz auf dieses Bier sein.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Eyes. incredible cream head. goood carbonation and yellow pale color
Nouse: Aroma was citrus, clove, frutal banana aroma.
Tonge: The flavor is good and very complex. Many fruity notes malt wheat yeast and citrus. it is very cream and smooth.
Very Niceee

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from bottle into weizen glass

A - Brown/mahogany with a huge off-white head that is enhanced by the weizen glass. Awesome head retention.

S - Strong wheat character and a hint of grapes make up the aroma profile for me. Pretty bold aromas; very nice nose.

T&M - Tasty complex malt backbone - bready and caramel malts are most prominent. Dark fruits complement the malts. 8.2% abv, but I can't taste any hints of alcohol - maybe a slight warming affect during the finish, but that's all. A full body mouthfeel with lots of flavors that simply last. Smooth with appropriate carbonation.

D - High abv and a full body don't make it the most easy to drink beer, but it tastes really damn good. Definitely a brew I'll buy in the future to lean back and relax with. Need to make another note of the pronounced fruity esters of this beer.

2.58/5  rDev -40.1%

Here goes….another one down the hatch, a few more of these and I wont be able to judge a thing. Anyways, the head come in a shade of off-white that is often associated with cheap white walls. The bier color is…..um….root beer candy brown. The aroma is that of a lemon/citrus hefe. Slightly off-colored from most hefe smells. It tastes like a burnt orange peel soaked in a light hefe-weizen. Brewed for the hefe lovers only, and not for the beginner hefe drinker.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

This poured a brownish red with a small slightly tan head that managed to remain pretty well despite the fact that i did not give it much of a vigorous pour. I'll just have to try it again and pour with more energy. The smell was dominantly fruity and sweet, with a hint of yeast. I picked out apples and raisons, with a bit of caramel. It actually smelled a bit like a caramel apple to me, very pleasant. The taste was equally as pleasant, sweet and malty with a hint of caramel and fruit while also spicy and yeasty. Very complex smooth and tasty. Medium carbonation and body combine for a very good mouth feel, and smooth drinkabilty. I never got a sense of the 8%ABV. Overall a wonderful brew, and my first venture into the world of wheat ales or doppelbocks, but it will definitely not be my last.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow, i like this one. Cloudy, well carbonated with a active off-white head. Toasted malt and a fruity (banana) aroma jumps at your nose. Smooth, spicy and clove just begin to describe the taste. The alcohol presence is comfortably warming. I'm dissapointed i only have one, wish i bought more.Well deserving of it's high ranking.

Before you try Aventinus, you must know that there are BIG differences between fresh Aventinus and vintage bottles from the brewery. I'm reviewing both here, but my ratings pertain to vintage Aventinus. In my experience, a 4- to 5-year-old bottle is among the top 2 or 3 beers available today, while a fresh bottle is in the top 10. As such, a 5-year-old bottle gets a perfect 5.0, while a fresh bottle is about a 4.7 or a 4.8.

AFTER 5 years, Aventinus starts to break down. A 6-year-old bottle might rate a 4.0 or worse, so bear that in mind and aim for 4 or 5 years of age.

Appearance -- (Recent vintage) After a solid "weissbier pour" from a 500-mL bottle into my Aventinus glass (which is quite distinctive), I examine the beer from head to foot. This stuff serves up a whopping four-plus fingers of creamy, firm, off-white head, which lingers for over two minutes before settling into a quarter-inch cap for the remainder of my drink. Solid lacing leaves evidence of each sip. The body of the beer -- and this may be partly due to the glass -- fades from a deep, rich blackish-purplish-brown at the top to a deep amber at the bottom. Even from a "fresh" bottle, there are visible chunks of sediment floating in the beer.

(Five-year-old vintage) Similar pour, same glass. Two to three fingers of off-white head, which recede within about a minute and leave only a filmy cap. Lacing is minimal. Vintage Aventinus is marginally more brown than the fresh stuff, but man, it still looks great in the glass. Of considerable note, the yeast becomes much less chunky with age, blending with the body of the beer much as the flavors coalesce over time.

Smell -- (Recent vintage) Well, this is a wheat beer, but it smells like something altogether unique. Then again, if you don't like wheat beers, you may not like this one, either. I smell dried fruits (e.g., raisins, dates), honey, and the faintest metallic twinge. Oddly, this is somehow compelling, rather than off-putting.

(Five-year-old vintage) With age, the aroma sweetens and warms, and the metallic note disappears. Dried-fruit odors still dominate, but a wholesome wheatiness ties it all together. Scents of toffee and burnt caramel are also apparent...there's a lot going on here, but it all makes sense after a few whiffs. Stunning.

Taste -- (Recent vintage) Truly hard to describe. This is the "biggest" wheat beer out there, in my experience -- with the noted exception of Aventinus Eisbock. Sure, you'll detect some of that signature weissbier breadiness, but this beer is about more than that. I pick up brown sugar, dates, raisins, burnt caramel, and a heavy dose of malt. There's also a toasted-grain quality to this beer that I've never tasted elsewhere. Again, totally unique.

(Five-year-old vintage) Still huge, and still completely unique. The appearance/smell/taste/mouthfeel experience is the most integrated beer-drinking experience you're likely to find. The flavors listed above are the main attraction, but with age, they merge to form a strikingly unusual whole. Sweet, savory, fruity, malty, and earthy all at once. A masterpiece.

Mouthfeel -- (Recent vintage) As an avid wheat beer drinker, I find this one to be heavier and thicker in the mouth than most. The sediment in this one really is chunkier than that of a standard hefeweizen, and you'll feel it going down. Honestly, this is a mild drawback for me; I'd prefer the yeast to distribute itself more evenly throughout the glass. The sediment in a glass of fresh Aventinus is akin to what you might find in a particularly "dirty" Belgian abbey ale.

(Five-year-old vintage) The formerly chunky sediment is now an integral component of the beer's body. This elevates the mouthfeel to something uniquely sublime...think "thick chocolate milk," but with malty, yeasty, mildly carbonated alcohol. Coats the throat, to great effect.

Drinkability -- (Recent vintage) This is where the vintage stuff really shines, by comparison. A fresh bottle of Aventinus is some appreciably potent stuff, especially for a wheat beer. Between the the big taste, the big mouthfeel, the chunky sediment, and the relatively high ABV (by wheat beer standards), one bottle of this is probably enough for one sitting. But it does leave you wanting more -- this is a beer you'll think about for days after you drink it, identifying subtleties you couldn't quite place while drinking it.

(Five-year-old vintage) Whatever alcohol heat you feel in a fresh bottle has faded into the background with a few years of aging. I still don't think I could put away more than a half-liter of this in one sitting, simply because it's so rich. Drinking more than one bottle would be like eating half a cheesecake -- albeit a delicious, potentially life-altering cheesecake.

Aventinus is a truly unique beer, and required drinking for any fan of wheat beers. In fact, it's strongly recommended for ANY beer drinker.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Served from bottle.

Cloudy-murky nut brown appearance.

Smell of overall spiced sweetness. Banana chocolate yeasty clove

Taste deep and complex . very balanced up front. sweet spiced caramel and light fruity chocolate molds into a lingering crispness

smooth and silky in the mouth at first with fair carbonation. leaves the mouth feeling crisp and acidic.

Very enjoyable beer! very complex. I haven't decided yet if the crispy acidic end is something I'm a fan of: but it does buzzz....

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Classic bready doppelbock smell hits upon pouring. Large head but dissipates quickly - no problem there. Velvet smoothness with a warming, flavorful finish makes for a solid drinkability. No off notes or rubbing alcohol hints.

I look forward to comparing this German classic to some of my favorite holiday doppelbocks. I will definitely pick up some Aventinus again.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Deep brown, reddish-brown when held up to light. Good head at first, but this soon dissipates to the edge of the glass. Some slight lacing.

S - Bananas, sweet and chocolate malts blend very nicely. This almost produces a bacon/salty quality, or something like it. But hey, when is bacon ever not appropriate? Also, a wheat malt presence

T - Bananas and sweet malt, mainly, with wheat characteristics. Very, very small hops flavor in the finish. What prevents this from being overly sweet is the full carbonation. Which brings us to...

M - Almost too carbonated. But as stated above, this is required for taste balancing. But it does give the impression of a thin body, which I don't think is the case.

D - Very refreshing, excellent flavor make this one of the best tasting weizenbocks around. Very easy to sip, with no indication of alcohol.