Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH
Germany | website

Style: Weizenbock

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,109 | Ratings: 4,383
4.44/5  rDev +3%

This one poured with little head but I didn't give it quite a rigourous pour. The color is an amber brown, very similar to Chimay Red.

The nose is very strong and you can pick up on the hops, fruit notes (apples and raisons) as well has the the great yeast that goes into this brew. I had never had a doppelbock and I don't think this one was the best place to start beings as it was dominated by its yeast. Still, this is a great beer. A ton of complexity here, and also a very smooth brew. I compared it to Rare Vos (Ommegang) to my friends but pointed out that it managaes to be even more drinkable and smooth even with its greater alcohol content. Great beer!

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Pours an opaque woody chocolate brown with an effervescent off white head that dissipates quickly, but hugs the edges of the surface, (and returns upon swirling). Small amount of yeast sediment on the bottom. The nose is classic wiezen, sweet and sour, yeasty . I don't know if I have the words to explain this beer, a complex flavor. Fruity (sour apple) and alcoholic esters. The yeast is prominent in the finish, as it should be, but the malt is balanced. Woody notes, maybe oak, reminds me a bit of scotch.

The mouthfeel is slick and full but medium body, made lighter by the carbonation throughout. As for drinkability, this beer is a great example of the style, easily one of the most complex and well balanced versions I've had. The sour notes overwhelm the alcohol,(until it warms) making it barely noticable, for a beer this strong, and this drinkable, a dangerous combination. If this is your first, get up yourself to get the second, it might hit you...

Notes; This is the first beer (of those I have not had) on the top 50 list that I went out and bought based on BA rank. I now understand exactly how valuable BA is as a resource.... thanks all.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours with a moderate head with very good retention. Looks dark but when held up to the light it is a cloudy amber color. Fairly intense carbonation that invites you to drink more. The smell is a strong spicy fruitiness. Very malty taste with bits of pepper, cloves, and banana showing through. The aftertaste is bitter but not overwhelmingly so. I could have a few of these, but the high alcohol level might limit that. Very enjoyable beer that I plan on getting again.

3.15/5  rDev -26.9%

Huge head, with a cloudy red amber look to it.
Malty, fruity in the nose.
You can definitely feel the carbination that leaves your tongue tingly.
The taste of chocalate,spices, coffee ,and what seems to be bananas, that for me left a unpleasant after taste. You can taste
the sweetness of the fruits, and sense the high alcohol content.
Still a good experience, but not sure how many more I'll have of this beer.

4.18/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a powerful looking beer. Thick brown and hazy with a big billowing light-tan head. I love wheat beers, but sometimes I'm in the mood for something heavier....this is the best of both worlds. Smooth yeast aroma. Complex flavors...spice, cloves, banana. Not too fruity. And surprisingly creamy for a wheat beer, but still finishes crisp. Very full and chewy in the mouth...slightly malty. The only problem is a slight ethanol bite I get every few sips. Not an everyday beer, but amazing for special occasions.

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 0.5l bottle into an Aventinus glass.

A wonderful hazy caramel brown with a pillowy white head which recedes to a thin layer. The lace is a little sticky on the glass, leaving spots of white foam as the glass is emptied.

A very nice smell, dominated by sweet and tart fruits - red apples. There are notes of caramel with a grainy base.

The red apples are on the flavor as well. Less sweet than the aroma. Actually quite interesting and balanced. An especially whole-wheat bready finish which cleans up the tart flavors and the gentle hop profile.

The palate is a bit thick and heavy on this beer. The carbonation is present, but the beer is chewy.

I found this to be an interesting, fairly easy to drink beer. When I poured it, I didn't really feel like drinking a whole pint, but I wanted to try this beer. After getting into it, my attitude was turned around. The heavy palate, however, made it a bit tougher to get through.

A good change of pace beer. It is a bit difficult to find where this beer will fit in. It's not a session beer, and with 0.5l bottles it's not an apéritif or an interest beer.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

A - the dark coffee color seemed almost totally opaque until I held my glass up to a strong light revealing the slightest glint of amber. The bubbles streaming up the surface tossed around the ample supply of yeast. It produced a thin head nonetheless held up for a while.

S - smell was subtle (full disclosure: I was a little stuffed up with spring allergies) but complex with traces of ripe fruit, dates, and maybe even a little leather.

T- there is so much going on here. The fruit and date hinted at in the nose are here with some cloves and a balanced but unmistakable alcohol warming that lingers. Delicious.

M- this criterion is the toughest for me to evaluate (in general-not just with this beer) but I know what I like... And this feels great in my mouth.

D- doubt this was intended as a session beer but I could (and have) drink 3 or 4 of these in a row before the ABV caught up with me.

This is absolutely one of my favorite beverages at the moment.

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

A great Monday night 3-dollar tap at Toronado SD.

A- Cloudy copper/amber in color in my big, Adventinus glass. 2 finger white head, no lacing.
S- Malty. Some cloves and banana in there too.
T- Like a malty weiss, though a bit more complex. Long and a bit sweet.
M- This is where it excels, I think. Carbonation and maltiness combine to make it very satisfying.
D- Good. Easy down the gullet.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

Well, here I am stuck in my apartment on a Friday so I can pack up for a move. I made sure to buy a new beer to try to give myself a moment of procrastination zen. Enter Aventinus.

I do not have the crazy Aventinus glass, but I do have a tall Weizen glass that has a bigger than normal bubble at the top. Close enough, right? Right. So I poured the beer and it produced about an inch of creamy, slightly tan head that subsided to a centimeter or so thick for the rest of the tasting. The color is an attractive deep reddish brown, like a dark cherry oak wood floor. There is some cloudiness that prevents much light from getting through.

The smell is really enjoyable. It reminds me of some of the stouts I have had recently. It has a nice sweet oak smell. Hints of nut and roast mixed in with fruit (grape/raisins). Some very slight hints of spearmint the further I got down the glass. I was so intoxicated by the smell that I almost forgot to drink some. Anyway, the taste is very parallel to the nut and grape smell. It has a unique roasty oak taste backed by subtle sweetness. This is an exceptionally crafted and balanced beer.

The body of the beer is light to maybe medium light. There is a moderate amount of carbonation which leads to a crisp bite and a slightly dry finish.

Overall, I am extremely pleased I bought this beer. It was kind of like a blind date, because I knew nothing about the beer before purchasing it and I was nervous about the possibility of choosing a bad beer on a otherwise crappy night. Put this on my list of favorite beers. Check! Well, back to packing my junk up for now. Cheers!

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Pours as hazy brown with a bubbly light tan head that dissipates. Turns into a much darker mahogany as it sits.

Smell: Misleadingly light. Hints of banana bread, the kind with walnuts on it.

Taste: Full flavored, again with the banana bread but with the addition of a slightly bitter/sour note. Malty finish.

Feel: Full bodied, quite creamy with a little bite throughout.

Overall: I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $4 for a bottle, and I'd be hard pressed to find something as good for the same money. This beer makes me proud to be at least part German!

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Bought a 1pt .9oz bottle for $2.49. Totally worth it for this amazing beer. This is one of my favorite brews of all time. It's not often that I give a 5 for taste but this one deserves every point. Poured a cloudy brown hue. Very nice fizzy head with good lacing. Very spicy smell. Can smell the wheat and malts right away. Tastes amazing. Not sure how anyone can give this less than a 4.5. I gave it a five. Wonderful weizenbock. Yummy malts and fruity spices. 8% is a decent amount of alcohol. Goes very well with almost any meal. Try it out. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

This beer pours dark brown with a hint of the wheat color shining through at the edges. Pours a solid head. The smell reminds me of a golden field of wheat that got busy with some nice heady malt. It has a very complex taste, the dark malt dances on a beautiful moonlit night with spice of the wheat and the yeast. It is a marriage made by the beer angels.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Wow! and wow again. In the beer dictionary a picture of this is filed under wheat dopplebock.

Poured a nice dark brown with a lively tan head of 3 fingers, laced well as the head left slightly cloudy as you would expect a wheat, bottle conditioned beer to be..

The Aromna was nice and yeasty, malts and fruits, clove and bannana.

The taste was very well balanced between the spiceiness of the clove and a hint of bannana, a wee bit of hoppiness but not so much as to linger very long.

Mouthfeel was medium with a cleaniness that was outstanding (I even poured the bottom into the glass to get the full yeast flavors after I finished my glassfull)Just a lingering of fruit but not too sweet, not too tart, just right for me!

Overall BUY THIS ONE! Cross statelines to find it if you have to. This will be in my fridge almost constantly. At $3.99 for a 500 ml bottle it is a great buy.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice thick, creamy head, the color of the beer is gorgeous! It's at once brown with purple tints, some red and black too. Head lasts a little too little, but it's very large. Smell is awesome too, I get some raisins, banannas, maybe a hint of toffee. Taste-spectacular! Absolutely delicious, almost "chewy", it tastes so incredibly rich, it's almost sinful. High marks for this beer all around.

4.44/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Poured a deep mahogany color with a thick, foamy, eggshell-colored head. Good head retention.

Smell: Rich malt aroma, with a strong fruity character. Typical bananas and also (oddly) cantaloupe. Also has an earthy smell, almost like damp, overturned soil. Finally some hints of anise and clove spiciness.

Taste: Tart, lively tang immediately upon consumption. Malt and caramel show up with fanfare halfway through, along with faint chocolate notes and hops. Finish is strongly banana, with subdued hop character, raisins, and noticable alcohol burn. Also a faint taste of cloves.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. More effervescent than your usual doppelbocks, but less effervescent than a standard hefe-weizen.

Drinkability: Reasonably so, although the alcohol might be a limiting factor.

Overall: This was a marvelously complex beer, very similar in tone to Wolnzacher Roggenbier. And the fact that the high malt content comes primarily from wheat malt gives this beer an interesting character that few other beers can match. Recommended.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance -- Dark and cloudy, unfiltered appearance. Nice white head with watery lacing. Very inviting.

Smell -- Like a hefe weizen with caramel, brown sugar and raisins. Or like some type of homemade fruit bread. It's complex and very enjoyable.

Taste -- My only benchmark here is a hefe weizen. It tastes like a hefe weizen with burnt or caramelized characteristics. Reminds me of bakery in a way.

Mouthfeel -- Medium, but on the heavier side.

Drinkability -- I find this beer to be quite enjoyable and am looking forward to trying more of this style. It is extremely drinkable, but at $3.19 per 500ml bottle I won't be drinking a lot of it.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

A - This poured from the bottle a somewhat cloudy brown with a medium tan head. It's a good-looking beer to say the least.

S - There's the upfront smell of apple and possibly grape with background notes of cloves and definitely some alcohol thrown in.

T - Upfront this beer strikes me as a dark malty delight. There's definitely a lot of fruit going on in this beer and I'd still have to go with apple as the predominant. I can see this going really well with a medium-rare steak. What strikes me most about this one is how much the flavor really opens up as the beer warms to room temperature.

M - Mouthfeel is good. Nothing particularly special, but a nice soft carbonation nonetheless.

D - This beer is definitely has a high degree of drinkability. I could definitely enjoy a couple of these from time to time.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Aroma - Malty sweetness, grape/prune aroma is prominant, mild alcohol. No diacetyl or DMS. No perceived hop aroma.

Appearance - Brown with nice copper highlights. Pours a thick 2 finger tan head that dissipates into just a ring around the edge. No lacing.

Taste - Malt sweetness with prune like esters, slight caramel from the boil, and alcohol on the finish. Again, no diacetyl, or DMS. No perceived bitterness. Very clean. No significant lingering flavors.

Mouthfeel - light to medium body. Medium to heavy carbonation. The alcohol is subdued. No perceived bitterness.

Overall Impression - This is a good beer, and a wonderful example of the Weizenbock style. This is a very drinkable beer, but is complex enough that you can drink it slowly, and enjoy its aromas and flavor. This makes it a good choice for many different situations. I highly recommend this in your regular rotation. If this isn't enough for you there is an Eisbock version that is outstanding!

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look: clear, dark brown, good head retention fluffy head, medium carbonation. Aroma: dark stone fruit with a grainy malt aroma. Burnt caramel, toasty malts. There is a bananas fosters aroma. Some alcohol aroma. Flavor: extra ripe stone fruit some alcohol, mild hops. Roasty and caramelized malts. Feel: medium plus body, lively carbonation. Overall this is a delicious and perfect example of this style of beer.

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

I typically am luke warm when it comes to weizen/weiss beers. I've heard a lot of good things about Aventinus so I picked up a pint and gave it a try.

I'm not sure if the bottle got shaken up a bit on the car ride home from the store, but this beer poured with the biggest head I've ever seen. It was an off-white, light, beautiful foam. The beer beneath the head had a deep brown color with hints of amber.

The taste was just a bit less appealing than the appearance. I tasted hints of chocolate and spice and was left with an overall sweet taste. The typical grainy, wheat taste was also very noticeable, but not offensive as it has been for me in other weizen beers. Overall, this is the best weizen beer I've ever had and I'll not hesitate to pick up another.

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Uncapped this bottle on a beautiful spring evening. The smell of the beer is a bit slight, but then the head settled nicely with a rich, silky looking foam. This foam added to the texture, which then added to the thickness of the sweet wheat flavour. The flavour is also caramel, and plum like. Slight acidic and dry finish with a hint of alcohol flavour. Very satisfying. This beer is to be sipped and admired

3.1/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle 2004

Smells foral, sweet and medicinal with hints of figs and raisins. Heavy dose of cloves and wheat. Lots of alcohol definatly a sipping beer. Taste bites the tongue and warms the inside, a great winter warmer. Definatly a good beer but its drinkability isn't there for me just a little to strong.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Was in albany at Oliver's, a place I miss dearly and picked up the

2002 Special Edition

A - Dark rich amber color. bit of head, that fades and no lacing...i would expect this from an aged beer

S - Holy yummy. Rich chocolate, dark raisins, sweet malty notes

T/M - Fairly exqusite. Unbelievably smooth. Sweet up front and warming. Great mouthful and presence. Makes you want to savor the sip.

D - delicious and alcohol is not noticable. drink em back if you can handle the sweetness

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Poured a very dark caramel with an off-white head into my chalice. Very good head retention.

Smell: Ripe/overripe fruit (banana) and spices (clove)

Taste: Fruity with somewhat of a bitter chocolate finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Not especially smooth, but a very drinkable beer.

I like this beer a lot. I think it would pair well with a blue cheese -- given the bitter finish of the beer, maybe a blue cheese with a sweeter finish like the Roaring Forties.

I made a good choice of beer for my first review.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Just trying this one out because it was ranked so high on beer advocate amongst the "hefes" and "weiss beers". I have to say I am not disappointed. This beer pours very nicely and looks almost chocolatey with it's dark amber color. It smells very nice, too, hints of cherry and citrus. The taste is a bit heavier than my favorite hefe weiss, but it is very, very clean... no aftertaste (I don't like aftertaste) and great flavor. The mouthfeel is probably one of the best I've tasted. This beer is as smooth as velvet. Drinkability is also good. This is a good beer. It's definitely worth all the "hype" my fellow BAs have created on the site. I have a couple more in the fridge that were rated high among the "hefes" and "weiss beers". I hope the bar wasn't set too high by this one.

In short, this IS a beer!... absolutely enjoyable.