Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,128 | Ratings: 4,446
4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

Well, here I am stuck in my apartment on a Friday so I can pack up for a move. I made sure to buy a new beer to try to give myself a moment of procrastination zen. Enter Aventinus.

I do not have the crazy Aventinus glass, but I do have a tall Weizen glass that has a bigger than normal bubble at the top. Close enough, right? Right. So I poured the beer and it produced about an inch of creamy, slightly tan head that subsided to a centimeter or so thick for the rest of the tasting. The color is an attractive deep reddish brown, like a dark cherry oak wood floor. There is some cloudiness that prevents much light from getting through.

The smell is really enjoyable. It reminds me of some of the stouts I have had recently. It has a nice sweet oak smell. Hints of nut and roast mixed in with fruit (grape/raisins). Some very slight hints of spearmint the further I got down the glass. I was so intoxicated by the smell that I almost forgot to drink some. Anyway, the taste is very parallel to the nut and grape smell. It has a unique roasty oak taste backed by subtle sweetness. This is an exceptionally crafted and balanced beer.

The body of the beer is light to maybe medium light. There is a moderate amount of carbonation which leads to a crisp bite and a slightly dry finish.

Overall, I am extremely pleased I bought this beer. It was kind of like a blind date, because I knew nothing about the beer before purchasing it and I was nervous about the possibility of choosing a bad beer on a otherwise crappy night. Put this on my list of favorite beers. Check! Well, back to packing my junk up for now. Cheers!

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Bought a 1pt .9oz bottle for $2.49. Totally worth it for this amazing beer. This is one of my favorite brews of all time. It's not often that I give a 5 for taste but this one deserves every point. Poured a cloudy brown hue. Very nice fizzy head with good lacing. Very spicy smell. Can smell the wheat and malts right away. Tastes amazing. Not sure how anyone can give this less than a 4.5. I gave it a five. Wonderful weizenbock. Yummy malts and fruity spices. 8% is a decent amount of alcohol. Goes very well with almost any meal. Try it out. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

This beer pours dark brown with a hint of the wheat color shining through at the edges. Pours a solid head. The smell reminds me of a golden field of wheat that got busy with some nice heady malt. It has a very complex taste, the dark malt dances on a beautiful moonlit night with spice of the wheat and the yeast. It is a marriage made by the beer angels.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Wow! and wow again. In the beer dictionary a picture of this is filed under wheat dopplebock.

Poured a nice dark brown with a lively tan head of 3 fingers, laced well as the head left slightly cloudy as you would expect a wheat, bottle conditioned beer to be..

The Aromna was nice and yeasty, malts and fruits, clove and bannana.

The taste was very well balanced between the spiceiness of the clove and a hint of bannana, a wee bit of hoppiness but not so much as to linger very long.

Mouthfeel was medium with a cleaniness that was outstanding (I even poured the bottom into the glass to get the full yeast flavors after I finished my glassfull)Just a lingering of fruit but not too sweet, not too tart, just right for me!

Overall BUY THIS ONE! Cross statelines to find it if you have to. This will be in my fridge almost constantly. At $3.99 for a 500 ml bottle it is a great buy.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice thick, creamy head, the color of the beer is gorgeous! It's at once brown with purple tints, some red and black too. Head lasts a little too little, but it's very large. Smell is awesome too, I get some raisins, banannas, maybe a hint of toffee. Taste-spectacular! Absolutely delicious, almost "chewy", it tastes so incredibly rich, it's almost sinful. High marks for this beer all around.

4.44/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Poured a deep mahogany color with a thick, foamy, eggshell-colored head. Good head retention.

Smell: Rich malt aroma, with a strong fruity character. Typical bananas and also (oddly) cantaloupe. Also has an earthy smell, almost like damp, overturned soil. Finally some hints of anise and clove spiciness.

Taste: Tart, lively tang immediately upon consumption. Malt and caramel show up with fanfare halfway through, along with faint chocolate notes and hops. Finish is strongly banana, with subdued hop character, raisins, and noticable alcohol burn. Also a faint taste of cloves.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. More effervescent than your usual doppelbocks, but less effervescent than a standard hefe-weizen.

Drinkability: Reasonably so, although the alcohol might be a limiting factor.

Overall: This was a marvelously complex beer, very similar in tone to Wolnzacher Roggenbier. And the fact that the high malt content comes primarily from wheat malt gives this beer an interesting character that few other beers can match. Recommended.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance -- Dark and cloudy, unfiltered appearance. Nice white head with watery lacing. Very inviting.

Smell -- Like a hefe weizen with caramel, brown sugar and raisins. Or like some type of homemade fruit bread. It's complex and very enjoyable.

Taste -- My only benchmark here is a hefe weizen. It tastes like a hefe weizen with burnt or caramelized characteristics. Reminds me of bakery in a way.

Mouthfeel -- Medium, but on the heavier side.

Drinkability -- I find this beer to be quite enjoyable and am looking forward to trying more of this style. It is extremely drinkable, but at $3.19 per 500ml bottle I won't be drinking a lot of it.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

A - This poured from the bottle a somewhat cloudy brown with a medium tan head. It's a good-looking beer to say the least.

S - There's the upfront smell of apple and possibly grape with background notes of cloves and definitely some alcohol thrown in.

T - Upfront this beer strikes me as a dark malty delight. There's definitely a lot of fruit going on in this beer and I'd still have to go with apple as the predominant. I can see this going really well with a medium-rare steak. What strikes me most about this one is how much the flavor really opens up as the beer warms to room temperature.

M - Mouthfeel is good. Nothing particularly special, but a nice soft carbonation nonetheless.

D - This beer is definitely has a high degree of drinkability. I could definitely enjoy a couple of these from time to time.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Aroma - Malty sweetness, grape/prune aroma is prominant, mild alcohol. No diacetyl or DMS. No perceived hop aroma.

Appearance - Brown with nice copper highlights. Pours a thick 2 finger tan head that dissipates into just a ring around the edge. No lacing.

Taste - Malt sweetness with prune like esters, slight caramel from the boil, and alcohol on the finish. Again, no diacetyl, or DMS. No perceived bitterness. Very clean. No significant lingering flavors.

Mouthfeel - light to medium body. Medium to heavy carbonation. The alcohol is subdued. No perceived bitterness.

Overall Impression - This is a good beer, and a wonderful example of the Weizenbock style. This is a very drinkable beer, but is complex enough that you can drink it slowly, and enjoy its aromas and flavor. This makes it a good choice for many different situations. I highly recommend this in your regular rotation. If this isn't enough for you there is an Eisbock version that is outstanding!

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look: clear, dark brown, good head retention fluffy head, medium carbonation. Aroma: dark stone fruit with a grainy malt aroma. Burnt caramel, toasty malts. There is a bananas fosters aroma. Some alcohol aroma. Flavor: extra ripe stone fruit some alcohol, mild hops. Roasty and caramelized malts. Feel: medium plus body, lively carbonation. Overall this is a delicious and perfect example of this style of beer.

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

I typically am luke warm when it comes to weizen/weiss beers. I've heard a lot of good things about Aventinus so I picked up a pint and gave it a try.

I'm not sure if the bottle got shaken up a bit on the car ride home from the store, but this beer poured with the biggest head I've ever seen. It was an off-white, light, beautiful foam. The beer beneath the head had a deep brown color with hints of amber.

The taste was just a bit less appealing than the appearance. I tasted hints of chocolate and spice and was left with an overall sweet taste. The typical grainy, wheat taste was also very noticeable, but not offensive as it has been for me in other weizen beers. Overall, this is the best weizen beer I've ever had and I'll not hesitate to pick up another.

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Uncapped this bottle on a beautiful spring evening. The smell of the beer is a bit slight, but then the head settled nicely with a rich, silky looking foam. This foam added to the texture, which then added to the thickness of the sweet wheat flavour. The flavour is also caramel, and plum like. Slight acidic and dry finish with a hint of alcohol flavour. Very satisfying. This beer is to be sipped and admired

3.1/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle 2004

Smells foral, sweet and medicinal with hints of figs and raisins. Heavy dose of cloves and wheat. Lots of alcohol definatly a sipping beer. Taste bites the tongue and warms the inside, a great winter warmer. Definatly a good beer but its drinkability isn't there for me just a little to strong.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Was in albany at Oliver's, a place I miss dearly and picked up the

2002 Special Edition

A - Dark rich amber color. bit of head, that fades and no lacing...i would expect this from an aged beer

S - Holy yummy. Rich chocolate, dark raisins, sweet malty notes

T/M - Fairly exqusite. Unbelievably smooth. Sweet up front and warming. Great mouthful and presence. Makes you want to savor the sip.

D - delicious and alcohol is not noticable. drink em back if you can handle the sweetness

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Poured a very dark caramel with an off-white head into my chalice. Very good head retention.

Smell: Ripe/overripe fruit (banana) and spices (clove)

Taste: Fruity with somewhat of a bitter chocolate finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Not especially smooth, but a very drinkable beer.

I like this beer a lot. I think it would pair well with a blue cheese -- given the bitter finish of the beer, maybe a blue cheese with a sweeter finish like the Roaring Forties.

I made a good choice of beer for my first review.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Just trying this one out because it was ranked so high on beer advocate amongst the "hefes" and "weiss beers". I have to say I am not disappointed. This beer pours very nicely and looks almost chocolatey with it's dark amber color. It smells very nice, too, hints of cherry and citrus. The taste is a bit heavier than my favorite hefe weiss, but it is very, very clean... no aftertaste (I don't like aftertaste) and great flavor. The mouthfeel is probably one of the best I've tasted. This beer is as smooth as velvet. Drinkability is also good. This is a good beer. It's definitely worth all the "hype" my fellow BAs have created on the site. I have a couple more in the fridge that were rated high among the "hefes" and "weiss beers". I hope the bar wasn't set too high by this one.

In short, this IS a beer!... absolutely enjoyable.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Served on tap in Aventinus glass, long bottom with a chalice-like top.
A: Gorgeous. Cloudy brown, 1.5" head that is creamy and holding above rim of glass.
S: Again, great smell. Nose deep in the head, fruits and banana and clove. Some alcohol noticable, but not much for 8.0%
T: Spectacular weizenbock, creamy and nice carbonation. Spicy, cloves dominant. Clean finish to me, great lingering flavors, fruits.
M: Very creamy, very smooth. Little bite as you first take it in.
D: Stunned its %8. Goes down very easily, very smooth. Excellent beer, especially on tap.

4.66/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Nice and cloudy, as it should be. Deep brown in color with a think head. Head disappears rather quickly, however.

S: Big time clove and malt aroma. Spicy and yeasty. Hint of alcohol. Great preview of what's to come.

T: Sweet and spicy. Lots of clove and yeast flavors. The yeast does wonders for this beer. Subtle hints of fruit and rum. Malt is dominant, however the warming alcohol seems to balance quite nicely. Complex and exceptional.

M: Full bodied. Slick and syrupy on the tongue. However, there is a pleasant softness due to the wheat; and a crispness due to the considerable carbonation.

D: Drinkability overall is good. Soft yet crisp mouthfeel makes this feel almost like a session brew. However, the high ABV limits it. I almost wish it felt more like a sipping beer. Either way it's damn good. Benchmark for the style. This is definitely a beer I'll be drinking again.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

appearance - it is a solid caramel color, not at all what i was expecting. pretty unique color wise, thick appearance and little foaming.

taste - it says 'dopplebock' on the bottle but it tastes more like a hefe-weisse to me, its lighter and more fruity. tastes like a rich fruity caramel. not my style really, but still it is the best of this kind ive had.

drinkability - unlike other 'fruity' beers it had more staying power, it didnt get any worse or more plain as i drank more. quality beer but not as deep as the best ones. it says its 8% but i couldnt tell where the alcohol was, its hidden extremely well and i hardly felt it either.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

big bottle

smell is enticing and intredibly appetizing - bananna bread, biscuit, spice

flavor is complex with a lot of depth - spice, bread dough, ginger cookie

wow - just an amazing beer - careful of the 8.2 % though

a world classic for sure - industry benchmark

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

I really enjoyed this beer. Aggressive pour yielded lots of head -creamy but noticeable carbonation. Took longer than I expected for it to settle leaving light lace. Dark amber and cloudy in appearance. Sweet aroma in the nose. Familiar yeast taste of a wheat beer but with more sweet malt accompanying it. Hops and alcohol are present at the back. Yeast forward -Malt middle - slight Alcohol at the end. Very drinkable, especially at 8%. Will definitely have this again.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into an Eku Weizen glass. Looks like black cherries with a rich, foamy head the color of nutmeg.

Smells like ripe fruit: bananas, oranges, berries. Undertones of chocolate, vanilla and cloves.

The taste is creamy with a light carbonation. Sweet alcohol, berries, cloves, chocolate, maybe a bit of nutmeg. The yeast character is nice. Really complex beer.

Mouthfeel is great. Full, rich, crisp, tingly.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is not your regular Aventinus, its vintage dated by the brewery 1999. Great beer thats just a little smoother with age. All the details of the beer are the same nice creamy copper color, with nice frothy head. Classic bannana, clove nose but a little more subtle with age. Very drinkable, but the cost is also about double since they aged it.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

A: very generous head, black and opaque except when held up to light, then it's a nice malty colour. 4.5

S: really nice and clean. Yeasty, yoghurty. Raisins, dark fruits, and also a bit of the typical wheat beer smells- banana bunches etc. They really come together wonderfully. The beer actually reminds me a fair bit of Chimay blue in terms of the yeast smell and the dark fruits. There's sweet milkiness and also some herbs there. Really rich smell, seems Belgian to me. 4.5

T: sweet maltiness. Wheat. Chocolatey umaminess. The sweetness is very prominent though. To its credit the alcohol is completely concealed. One thing I can say is that it is a great food beer. The spiced chicken with vegetables I am eating really brings out the plummy notes in the beer, which actually makes it resemble Chimay blue even more. The food also brings out some smokiness to me. 4

M: nice and creamy and well carbonated. 4

D: It's too sweet to drink a lot of and personally it's not my favourite style. The sweetness would stop most people sessioning it I'd think (not that the 8.2% isn't of concern itself) 3

Suggested to me after telling someone at Friar Tuck's in Peoria, IL my likes and dislikes. Spot on accurate suggestion. I wish I knew who this guy was! I'd ask him for more suggestions. I've wanted to find a “go-to” beer to buy as a regular. Probably too expensive for that, but oh so good!

Pours cloudy and unfiltered and smells like you're in for a complex treat. It tastes and feels like you should have bought more than one to try!

I'll be stocking up on this in the future. I wish I could taste this on draft. I can't imagine.