Schneider Weisse Tap 7 Unser Original | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 7 Unser OriginalSchneider Weisse Tap 7 Unser Original

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH
Germany
schneider-weisse.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Formerly Schneider Weisse Original.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-03-2002

Ratings: 1,768 |  Reviews: 837
2.94/5  rDev -26.1%

Served in the brewer's glass at Stuff Yer Face in New Brunswick, NJ.

Forms a nice long-lasting and rocky weiss head, but the beer is muddy brown - very murky. Plunging my nose as far as possible into the glass, I can still say the beer doesn't smell like much of anything. For the taste, I pick up only a slight roastiness, missing a lot of the yeast character and associated fruitiness/spiciness. The mouthfeel is medium, not quite thick enough for my taste in this style, with good carbonation. Overall, I call this a refreshing, but far too mild, version of the style.

2.97/5  rDev -25.4%

Bottle pour to a straight pint. Tarnished copper, almost brown color (very dark for a weiss); creamy, stable head.

Solid phenols, slightly metallic overtones.

Reasonably well made, I guess, but this is a touchy style to get just right--I wouldn't go out of my way for it. . .

Served from a 16.9 oz bottle.
Pours with a massive off white/light beige head that settles down to a thin layer of foam.
Beer is much darker in appearance than other examples of this style; It's medium deep amber and exceptionally clear.
Yeast comes through strongest in the nose, with some grainy wheat notes as well.
There is also a noticeable smokiness.
Yeast and the same smokiness also come through in the taste.
Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side but there is a pleasing level of carbonation.
To sum up, this is far from my favorite example of the style, but it is not without merit.
I wouldn't use it to introduce people to the style.

3.01/5  rDev -24.4%

L: Pours tanned and hazy, reminding me of dunkelweizen. 2cm dense foam that slowly dissipating
S: Banana and cloves, bubble gum
T: fruity (unripened strawberries), yogurty/yeasty, spices (cloves), silky soft wheat-malt flavor, some caramel and dark malts
F: medium body, medium carbonation
O: descent beer, but not impressed

3.03/5  rDev -23.9%

A: Darker than expected, mid-toned brownish amber. Thick head, slow moving carbonation trickles up from the bottom of the glass.

S: Most resembling a twist on a Belgian style wit. But, with toasted caramel malts and banana and orange citrus.

T: Bitter and toasted malt. Hops slap with a bitter and phenolic backhand with esters aftershock. Not as smooth as expected or led to believe by my nose.

M: Slightly soapy, medium carbonation.

D: Eh....

I think I've fallen victim to yet another somewhat aged bottle. But, I don't think my palate was tainted too much by that. I'll find another bottle from a different store, compare notes, and amend review if necessary.

Schneider Weisse Tap 7 Unser Original from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH