Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-WeisseSchneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH
Germany
schneider-weisse.de

Style: Weizenbock

Schneider version. This brew is the result of the long friendship of Brooklyn brewmaster Garrett Oliver and Schneider brewmaster Hans-Peter Drexler. Garrett had always admired the delicate balance of flavors in Schneider Weisse, while Hans-Peter had long enjoyed the effusive hop character of Brooklyn East India Pale Ale and BLAST! Garrett's concept for the collaboration was that each brewmaster would brew essentially the same pale, hoppy weissbock in the other's brewery, but with different hopping to reflect the local hop flavor.

Dry-hopped w/ Hallertauer Saphir.

Added by John_M on 07-16-2007

Ratings: 1,367 |  Reviews: 758
3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

I wanted to like this more than I did. The bottle I drank was colder than it should have been, so I'm keeping an open mind and might even try it again.

But really? First I got some hop bite (not hop spice, just the bitterness, which was tricky), and then some (actually pretty nice) weizen banana-and-clove, but nothing to bring them together except some fruit-bubble-gum and some alcohol.

I feel like both of the styles needed to be stronger, because when they were both weak (hop bite w/o taste, weak weizen flavors) you just noticed the alcohol more. I still wouldn't say I disliked the beer, I enjoyed drinking the whole thing, but I like to drink a beer and think "Wow, I hope I can find another one soon!" not "Eh, that was an interesting and decent experience."

The mouthfeel was actually very smooth, but whenever I licked my lips, which I do without really thinking about it, I would get the bubblegum taste, which was making me unhappy. Might have upped the drinkability rating, though, since I will say I wanted to keep drinking it to forget about my lips.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Beautiful cloudy honey color. Head is extremely forward but did not last; also minimal lace retention. Not sure if that's because of my glass/pour or the beer itself

Banana, clove, honey, faint floral hops.

Taste is a bit citrusy. Nice, nice balance. A lot of honey, bit of clovey spice. Some banana, grapefruit-hop bitterness at the end. Very faint alcohol, a little more prominent as the drink goes on. This is like a killer ambrosia, the southern citrus salad kind.

Mouthfeel is medium and slightly chewy. Fairly carbonated.

Drinkability's pretty damn good. Some danger in this bottle.

I do not think this is the first weizenbock I have ever had, but it's the first I've ever reviewed. I hope it is not the last, and I definitely intend to try the Brooklyn version soon.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Had this on-tap at the Brick Store in Atlanta.

Pours a cloudy yellow-orange color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes slowly into a thin pancake on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of bananas, cloves, herbal hops, and wheat, in that order. As the beer warms the hops and bananas take over a bit more.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Banana and wheat flavors up front are soon joined by herbal hops that carry on until the cloves join in right before a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation for the style.

Drinkability is good. I had no problem finishing my glass and could have a few.

Overall I'm a fan of this style and this beer didn't disappoint. Nothing really pops from this beer but it's solid. Worth a shot.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a Cloudy gold like a Hef should into my allagsh gLass. Nice creamy head.

Smells of pine and wheat. The Brooklyn version has more of a hoppy smell.

Taste is absolutly smooth starts off with a hoppy bitterness and finishes off sweet and wheaty. I can't believe this is 8.2% abv. The alchohol is masked so well.

Feels like velvet in my mouth, so smooth again.

This is a great drinker if you can handle the abv!

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a tulip glass, poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle.

A - same shade as a normal hefe, very cloudy. Holds a giant fluffy layer of head that retains very well and leaves ridiculous lacing. A very sexy looking beer.

S - The prominent aroma I get is hoppy pine, backed up by sweet clove and banana. The hops and the hefe aromas go surprisingly well together.

T - A very light sweetness and fruit, balanced out by a peppery bite and a good floral hop taste. Clean finish with little residual bitterness.

M - The foam gives off a dimension of creaminess to the fairly carbonated hit on the palate. Oh so smooth and luscious.

D - It's so rich and filling, but also so easy drinking. I wish I could drink more of this liquid love, but the pint I had will suffice, as it's already filled me up.

Overall - Were you actually expecting a less than glowing report for this one? Seriously, how can you go wrong with a collaboration between two of the world's premiere brewmasters? This is absolutely a repeat buy for me.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

i love this beer. i'm a huge bavarian/hoppy fan...this beer KILLS! It is almost the best of both worlds. Eventhough it is not perfect (because what bier is?!?!), it comes damn near close. I could drink a 6er of this myself while listening to Schonberg and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

The label on my bottles is not the same as the BA picture. It's a modified Schneider label without the big Brooklyn B. Just a note.

Looks fantastic. Cloudy and straw-colored with a monster head.

The smells is also great: banana and clove -- of course -- but also pear and apple.

Clove and pepper mix with sweetness and a just-noticeable taste of alcohol and finishes with an herbal hop note. I can say I've never had a beer like this before. Lots of big flavors, but well-controlled -- what else would you expect from a German brew?

The body is also good and smooth.

This beer is well worth looking for and I look forward to trying the American version.

4.73/5  rDev +16.2%

A: Hazy and tan with an even complexion throughout. Pours with ample loose head and minimal even lacing.

S: Mild citrus and other tart fruity notes. Subtle hints of banana.

T&M: Lusciously smooth and wheaty with a mild alcoholic aftertaste. Some faint malt-like fruitiness in the background.

** Please note: I am sampling this at a colder temp than recommended which makes it a bit sharper. If storing in a fridge I suggest letting it breathe for a few.

D: I found this brew to be dangerously smooth, refreshing and drinkable. I'm storing it at about 40 degrees, but once this baby warms up it goes down easy (like most brews from Schneider). My new favorite wheat brew... I bought out my local beer shop's supply.. about 15 bottles.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

Has this at the Capital Ale House in Richmond Downtown. Poured into a weizen glass. Pours a very hazy golden color with a fluffy white head. Spicy and flowery in the aroma. Some banana, orange and light clove with an awesome smack of hop bitterness. Nice dry finish. A very interesting blend of ipa and weisse beers. I like the brooklyn version a little better. Will try again.

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy orange, somewhere between a typical wheat beer and an IPA. Two finger head that leaves generous lacing.

S: The hops and fruity esters come together to create a strongly herbal, almost soapy aroma. It's unique, I'll say that much.

T: Major noble hop presence. Again, strong soapy notes. No trace of alcohol. I can't quite decide if I like it or not.

M: Refreshingly thin with good carbonation.

D: This is kind of an odd bird. The different components of this beer don't really come together all that well, but there's nothing that really drives me away either. I'd say this is worth trying at least once.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

This is really tasty and interesting, with a strong weizenbock character plus elments of a solid IPA (more on the English-side).

Pale brownish amber and faintly hazy, it has a huge, out-of-control, off-white head steadily shrinking to a lasting foamy top.

The aroma is pear, banana, fremented grapes, grain, breadcrust, hints of bubblegum and juniper.

The taste is very interesting, light in body with lively and zesty with a lot of flavour: fruit, leaves, hints of citrus and juniper and fermented raisins, bread crust. It has a dryish, leafy finish with a zesty peppery-lemony bite and hints of orange zest and grapefruit.

3.61/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

500 ml bottle. This is the Schneider version and their logo is prominently featured on the front of the bottle. Poured into a weizen glass. Comes in at 8.22%.

A-Pours a hazy, muddy yellow. It looks very similiar to the muddy bottom fish tank they have at the new Academy of Sciences in SF. A gentle pour still results in a massive 2 finger white head that stays around. Lots of bubbles rise from the bottom and there is a lot of yeast sediment.

S-The one smell that keeps coming at me is that of orange from citrus hops. Definitely can detect some alcohol. There is not that familiar banana tone to this beer. I do get some clove and some other spice, but it is different than what I was expecting.

T-Orange hits the tongue fast. It tastes a lot like orange juice that airlines used to serve before Minute Maid/Tropicana. Pick up some lemon in there and there is also a lot of peppery bite. Alcohol and a nice level of bitterness hit at the end.

M-Light to medium bodied and it is crisp, dry, and smooth.

D-That orange juice flavor really limited this one for me. I liked the hoppiness that was integrated into the style and the alcohol is present but not limiting.

I was a little disappointed in this one. I think the collaboration idea was excellent, but that oj flavor got the best of me. I would like to try the Brooklyn version as a comparison.

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%

Luck enough to see this at Bert's Bierhuis in Utrecht. Certainly wasn't expecting to find it there.

From a bottle into a weizen glass.

APPEARANCE: Pours a relatively small 2 finger medium looking white head. A very opaque carrot or gamboges orange colour with some carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a decent film cap and leaves some immediate lacing. A thin film remains to the end but leaves minimal to no lace down the glass.

SMELL: A strong powerful nose of wheat malt and lots of hop notes, like you'd expect from the name. Orange peel and apricot dominate, with some lemon and other citrus notes as well. A touch of floral hops show up too. Enticing. Definitely a unique nose in the German Weizenbock family.

TASTE: Much like the nose; wheat malt and citrus hop notes. Orange peel and apricot shine again, with floral hops as well. Some spicy notes come though, perhaps a touch of pepper from the alcohol. Aftertaste of citrus and floral hop notes is mild but long lasting and makes a statement. A bit of spicy alcohol comes through at the end. Complex, unique, and certainly enjoyable, though it is somewhat overwhelming.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth with a little bite at the end. Finishes slightly dry on the palate.

OVERALL: This one is a tough to to judge overall. First off, it's very interesting and done very well. The hop qualities set this one apart form the others in the style and, in a way, reminds me of a Belgian witbier somewhat. On the other hand, the strong hop profile can become overwhelming by the half way point of the glass; the first few sips were amazing, but I found it more and more difficult to drink as the glass emptied. This hurts its drinkability somewhat. A better idea might be to offer this brew in a 33cl bottle instead of the half litre. Anyways, definitely worth trying if you're lucky enough to come across it in your beer travels.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from bottle into weizen glass.

A- Golden yellow, almost peach. Big 3 finger head the disappeared fast.

S- Strange mix of spices, and citrusy hops. Pick out lemon, orange, apricot, along with clove.

T- The first taste for me was the spiciness of the clove. This is followed by the citrusy bite of the hops. Unable to detect any alcohol.

M- Crisp and smooth.

D- Very drinkable. This is a nice combination.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Poured a cloudy amber orange with a two finger head that dissipated fairly quickly. Nice lacing on sides of glass.
S: Malt, clove, orange, and banana dominate. A hint of alcohol.
T: Very hoppy. Banana and citrus (lemon with notes of orange zest) balance well with the malt. A nice complex blend of flavors. The citrus flavors intensified as the beer warmed in the glass.
M: Medium bodied and well carbonated with a light, dry finish.
D: I really liked the hop dominated flavor. Very drinkable.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden-yellow with some brown undertones. Nice head that fades pretty quickly and I'm not getting much lacing. The smell has the typical hefe notes, but a definite sign of hops too. Should be interesting.

Ooh, this is a tasty beer. It has the refreshing characteristics of a hefe, but a more rounded taste. The hops aren't overpowering, but they are distinct. I was a bit worried the taste would be a battle between hops and hefe, but they play together very nicely.

Maybe it's just that this is hitting the spot, but man, I could drink this all night. Interesting and delicious; this is why we brew beer.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

This beer pours a cloudy amber with a 2 fingered white head with mild lacing. The smell is a mixture between lemons, bananas and malt. The flavor is ver hoppy for what I look for in a weizenbock, and not nearly enough yeast flavor for my likings. This beer has a nice mlat base, and has too much lemon flavor, and hardly any clove/banana flavors. The mouthfeel is ok with a semi dry aftertaste. Kinda drinkable, decent for 8.2%.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

I've been on an IPA kick lately, so time to change pace a bit. Poured from the bottle into a Surly Pint, mit hefe.

A: Cloudy yellow-orange with darker hues. Fluffy white head atop.

S: Fruity yeastiness. Tons of banana and clove. Interestingly you get some floral hops too. Quite interesting.

T: Complex flavors abound! Definite banana and clove from the yeast, as one would expect. Beautiful sweet trending slightly sour flavors from the wheat. Perhaps the most intersting component is the hoppiness. A lovely floral, spicy, earthy hop flavor. Not hit you over the head citrus, but more restrained and "European." Really quite interesting flavors here. They meld together well.

M: Creamy at first, but finishes dry. Light to medium bodied.

D: A really interesting beer. I haven't had a whole lot of weizenbocks but I really like this one. It is very complex, with a ton of flavor. A great change of pace from some of the more one-dimensional styles out there. I'd pick it up again.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottle into Hefe glass.

Pours a murky pale orange-gold, big white head.

Nose is banana and clove, some spicy hops coming out; candy-sweet wheat as well.

Taste is sweet up front, hint of the crisp wheat underneath the sweetness, banana and spicy yeast, floral hops coming through on the spicy, yeasty finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, full bodied, with a carbonation that's a bit more subdued than expected. Hops are a bit less pronounced than in the Brooklyner version, but then, the bottle I had isn't quite as fresh either. Overall, still a great beer.

Poured this into my Victory Sunrise Weissbier glass that 'tends sent me - thanks dude.

Cloudy, pineapple juice haze with a big-@$$ laundry soap head...about 3 fingers worth! Maybe a little darker than expected - some honey in the body color of course.

Very nice estery yearst electricity - almost even a little citrus in here...maybe some sweet grapefruit - not pure, but maybe a touch of that "ruby red cocktail" $#!+...and honeydew melon...carbonation is a little salty against a little sweet booziness.

This is wayyy too clean and light for the big ABV at first. Nice carbonation salts it up a little bit here too and cuts the sweetness from the slightly alcoholic viscosity. Saaz hops are providing a nice tight acidic tone here.

Again, the silage-like (much more pleasant than that) tone from the Saaz hops actually works well here - may be a little weird ut not unexpected and dissipates quickly. Slight silky viscosity is quite warming after a while. Vanilla-sweet texture is an interesting complement to the esters.

This has a lot of Old World classic overtones with some experimental techniques to mix it up a bit. Maybe not quite an exercise in Beautiful Chemistry but it's definitely solid and the craft beer community is better for the effort.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

The color when poured, was a nice deep hazy golden yellow, with a medium amount of light tan foam and a fair amount of lace on the side on the glass. The smell of hop's and spices filled the nose with a pleasant aroma. The taste was of a mild bitter hop's with orange, coriander, yeast with a bitter/sweet finish. What a pleasant surprise to find this Hopfen-Weisse. Another winner by Schneider & Sohn. Also, I found out, the warmer it got, the flavors started to change and get more intense!

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Poured with an amazing billowy white head. This thing just won't recede. Cloudy, wheat-beer coulour. Beer is bottle conditioned, with a lot of cloudy yeast on the pour.

Smell: Yeasty and spicy aromas. Peppery and tropical fruit scents dominate.

Taste: Wow some great bitterness here. I actually expected a bit more tanginess. Definite orange, almost curacao. There is some good sweetness and a touch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Quite a smooth feeling beer but there is sweetness and bitterness battling for supremacy on the tongue.

Drinkability: Too much alcohol to drink more than 1. 8.2% is a lot by anyone's standard. Flavour-wise though, this is keeps you wanting more.

Overall: This is nostalgia in a bottle for anyone who has ever visited Germany and imbibed in the great German beer tradition. The flavours and aromas transport you to the heart of Bavaria.

I must raise concern over the disproportionate pricing of this beer's Brooklyn-brewed cousin. The Brooklyn is priced at $20CDN per bottle and the Schneider is only $4.50. The slightly larger bottle size does not justify this pricing snobbery in the US/CDN craft market.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance- Golden yellow, plenty of carbonation and lots of bubbles to be seen on the pour, a quickly dissipating head, lots going on this very cloudy brew,

Smell- Apples jump at me up front, yeast, wheat, slight hop in the nose, sweet apples and citrus fruit

Taste- lots of apples and citrus, slight bitter hop on the finish that builds up stronger as you go, sweetness and yeast, malt balances hops a bit, nice long finish after

Mouthfeel- light, crisp, and very soft on the tongue

Drinkability- Ver very refreshing and unique would be my way of describing this brewski, definitely one of the more light and refreshing 8.2 alc% beers I have had in while, very balanced with fruitiness, sweetness, and strong hops, a beer I envision as delicious on a hot summer nite probably with a nice bbq, its leaves you feeling refreshed and quickly buzzed good beer for sure

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Half-liter Euro bottle, with some batch code on the label; "robustly dry-hopped" with Hallertau Saphir. Pours a medium-hued cider color, fully opaque, with high carbonation and a noisy, three-finger whitish head that leaves little lacing. In the nose there's a lemony hop presence, with some phenols, orange, and a bit of pith. It starts really nice, but peters out over time. On the first sip, there is some immediately-detectable heat, followed by some rather sharp, almost piercing spicy flavors consisting of lemon, banana, latex, and spicy yeast, along with a medium hop bitterness. It has a medium body, with crisp, numbing carbonation and some hops in the finish. This beer is all out of balance. The alcohol is waaay too noticeable and the flavors are incredibly sharp. This one needs some age to tame the heat. We'll see how it compares to the one brewed on this side of the pond.

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a thick pale orange color. Thick head with many craters and peaks, good retention. Excellent lacing. Aroma is very sweet as someone said almost like bubble gum. Strong flavor of cloves and banana, kind of peppery. Thick carbonation evident for mouthfeel. Can definitely taste the alcohol in it. And way to zesty for my taste.

Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH