Elephant Beer | Carlsberg Danmark A/S

Denmark
carlsbergdanmark.dk

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Added by stirgy on 04-03-2002

I picked this up rather randomly. A lot of people would probably shy away from anything labeled Elephant Malt Liquor, and those people are smart.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the bottle was the strong odor. It is best described as a skunk-like smell, the most unpleasent I have ever encountered from a beer.

The taste is almost unfathomable. I have had some nasty beers before this, but nothing has measured up to Elephant. I actually could not finish the bottle, and I usually try to at least give a beer a full serving to make judgement.

I honestly cannot think of a positive thing about this beer, unless you are into pain. The only positive is that it will be a nice addition to my bottle collection.

Terrible, couldn't even finish the beer. Not for me.

1.05/5  rDev -62.6%

A - Very little head, very yellow and average. Typical beer look to it.

S - Very Malty, almost sulfury.

T - Metallic, reminds me of the sulfur again. Not much to it.

M - Super carbonated watery mouthfeel. Nothing to really say here.

O - Pretty terrible. Will never have this beer again. Upset my stomach.

1.06/5  rDev -62.3%

This review is from a taste over two years ago, but there are mitigating circumstances:
1.) That taste traumatized me for life.
2.) This is the beer equivalent of dropping the soap, then being drawn and quartered.
3.) They sell this vile substance at fancy grocery stores and ritzy liquor stores as a "premium import."

With that out of the way, the review:

Pours fizzy and yellow, basically looks like what most of the world considers to be beer. Surprisingly, it does not look like pure evil.

Then I smell it. Oh god. The ugliest lager aroma in the entire world, an ammonia-like smell that (and I NEVER make this analogy about beer) just like piss. This godawful smell plagued the beer for the years of torture spent drinking it.

Tastes like it smells. I don't think I need to say more about this.

Looking back, it was probably a little adjuncty, but I didn't have much of a palate back then, so it'd be an educated guess at best.

Mouthfeel is light and heavily carbonated, and suffers somewhat from the fact that I'm trying to swallow this beer in massive gulps to make it go away faster.

Drinkability? I'd rather take this beer as a suppository.

NOTE: I've entertained the idea that maybe this beer was lightstruck; it is imported and the bottles are green. If someone wants to send me a bottle of Elephant to prove that it really is Denmark's greatest gift to the world, that's fine, but I sure as hell won't pay money for this stuff.

1.18/5  rDev -58%

Poured with an awful tarnished colour. No head. Aroma badly skunked (green bottle) but like no other skunk sensation before! Harsh alcohol is the first feature that sticks out. Skunking has removed any dimension of malt so you're left with a mouthfeel of rubbing alcohol. Low carbonation doesn't help. Gross really. This was quickest drain pour (and drain pours are very rare for me). Simply one of - if not the - worst beer I've ever tried. Do not recommend what so ever.

1.25/5  rDev -55.5%

1.25/5  rDev -55.5%

1.33/5  rDev -52.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

When I bought this it was after I had the regular Carlsberg and was hoping that the one with the elephant would be a different style or type for them. Basically it was the same exact beer in flavor and in body than the regular Carlsberg, I was disappointed by this very much.

1.33/5  rDev -52.7%

Elephant is one of the worst beers I have ever had. Unfortunately I bought an entire case of it and was stuck with 24 bottles of it.

The best way to describe the taste is "strong skunk". It comes off as if was intended to be a mediocre beer but it was over fermented and left stitting around for a while.

Of the 6-8 people I tried to pawn my 24 bottles of Elephant off to, nobody liked it.

1.36/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Medium straw with slighlty foamy head. Kind of syrupy sweet with rich malt and adjunct flavor. Slight hop bitterness more of an afterthought. Very alcoholic, and that is too distracting. Almost undrinkable cold, very undrinkable as it warms.

1.4/5  rDev -50.2%

The Carlsberg Elephant. Truth be known, I have dreaded trying this beer for quite some time, but I figured I'd might as well get it out of the way. Plus, not many people I know of have had a malt liquor from Denmark (ok, this is actually brewed in Canada, but you know what I mean), so there is somewhat of a novelty about it. Well, most of my fears were justified as this turned out to be one pretty nasty, undrinkable, and unenjoyable beverage.

Elephant pours a typical beer color: medium straw with some gold hints. A one finger foam forms and disappears in under 30 seconds. The smell is of alcohol, plain and simple. Some mild grain sweetness and some malt liquor aromas arise underneath that. The mouthfeel is thin and fizzy. The taste quite simply is of paint thinner (or some other alcohol based solvent). The taste of alcohol is way too overpowering. There are some very light fruity notes and some very light graininess. There is an alcoholic bitterness present in the finish, with no detectable hops. This stuff kind of burns on the way down too. The aftertaste? ALCOHOL! There is some light corniness and fruitiness, which are nothing compared to the alcohol presence. And oh yes, this finishes off with a hearty amount of alcohol warmth.

I don't see how anyone can drink this and enjoy it. After you and your buddies drink a few of these, you'll be galloping around the house making elephant sounds (arrroooh!). I usually don't trash a beer that much but this is bad, bad stuff.

1.4/5  rDev -50.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

This beer has a light golden color, it's smooth and NO carbonation (water has more carbonation than this beer). Just like the original version of Carlsberg beer... Look for an alternative

1.45/5  rDev -48.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

First had: bottle in a gift set.

I thought this was a Canadian beer. Maybe I've got this wrong. All I remember is that it had an Elephant on the label and was 11%ABV. And again, that's all I remember. Other than that, just a typical pale lager with extra alcohol for getting cheapos drunk faster.

1.49/5  rDev -47%

This one pours a pale gold with a large but quickly shrinking head of foam. Very bubbly looking.

The smell is of sweet malt and grain.

The taste is very sweet with a lot of grain going with it and, the way this one goes, it doesn't even come close to tasting good. There's some bitterness there as well mostly in the finish but... Wow. This is a very rough brew and I'm going to find it hard to finish the bottle and not *just* because of the abv. This is a ghastly beer. Ok, I can't take it any more....down the drain.

Elephant Beer from Carlsberg Danmark A/S