Elephant Beer | Carlsberg Danmark A/S

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Added by stirgy on 04-03-2002

2.8

3.33/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

3.28/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I asked Sheryl to pick a number between 1 and 3. She said 3. She "picked" the Carlsberg Elephant Beer. This is a beer that I wasn't excited about, but soon learned that the beer was pretty high in alcohol. 7.2% is pretty big. I feel like I have had this beer, but I have no idea when or where. Also, I am sad that this bottle doesn't have a label. The photo in the book has a label… and the photo on BeerAdvocate has a label. Those labels are different. Ours doesn't have a label; just a green bottle with Carlsberg on the side. Not sure why brewing companies do that… change the bottle and/or the labels. But still pretty sad there is no label! Especially with a beer called Elephant Beer.

Not too excited about this, but maybe it will surprise me.

In the Glass: The beer pours like any domestic beer, and offers a weak head and basically no lace. I am seeing some small bubbles rushing to the top; hopefully this is not too carbonated. The beer does have an inviting golden color to it… hopefully the aroma and the flavor is clean, crisp, and refreshing. It's hot outside, you know!

Nose: Didn't expect that much in the aroma. This has a really strong yeasty smell. I ca almost taste this beer as I smell it. Not a bad thing, of course. I use the word, "chuggable" a lot, and I am sure this beer is just that. I just hope they hide the ABV well. Let's see what this offering tastes like.

Flavor: Those same yeasty aromas do carry over. The beer also starts out thin and crisp, and then quickly becomes sweet. There wasn't much carbonation there, and while the beer is not thick, it is just a lovely velvet mouthfeel. I saw that word on a Total Wine & More tasting sheet the other night. I might start using the word "velvet" more often. I was right. This beer IS chuggable. I just love the sweet finish on this.

Oh, and you would NEVER know this was 7.2% ABV.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel starts out thin and boring, but as I begin to swallow, the back of the tongue feels thicker and has a nice velvet feeling to it. On one of my sips I did swish the beer around in my mouth a little. It, when doing this, the carbonation does become quite overwhelming. I will say my beer is almost gone. It just begs to be consumed. I can't imagine this getting better as it heats up. Think Heineken. (The burp is nice and clean, too. I would love to drink a few of these on the golf course.)

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste here. It does end sweet, and becomes drying as I continue to swallow. My favorite part of this beer is the sweet finish. I just wish it would hang on for a bit longer. For $1.99 a bottle, it is worth every penny for the sweet finish and the high ABV. This is the first and only beer from Carlsberg on the list, too. I am not even sure what else they do… maybe I will look the next time I am at Total Wine. Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev +25%

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

2.32/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured almost a finger of head on a clear, dark golden colored body.
The aroma is borderline. It has some nice grain notes but has a damp room smell in the background.
The taste is sweet and moves to sweeter. There's the mildest bitter note at the very beginning. It lacks a real profile.
The texture is sticky with moderate carbonation... not appealing.
The sweetness and sticky texture make this a "no-go".

3.5/5  rDev +25%

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

2.32/5  rDev -17.1%

From Bottle to Pint glass

Love the green bottle. Looks really cool. Crystal clear golden beer. Almost no head on my pour.

Smell isn't anything special. I got a lot of malt up front. Almost like a cheap malt liqour. Didn't get much hops. Smells funky.

Taste also wasn't anything special. You can taste the funkiness. Has a very strong malt liqour taste similar to steel reserve. Not as bad as steel reserve but not far off. Strong malt/alcohol taste with lots of carbonation up front. Aftertaste is subtle I thought, and thankfully so.

Mouthfeel was fine. Light to mid body with plenty of carbonation.

I will say I'm disappointed with my purchase. Could have just got some other swill at a cheaper price and would have never known the difference. I will say that the 7.2% is not a lie. After one I could definitely feel it. Would not buy again though.

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

served into a flute glass.

The appearance is by far the best part of this beer. It sounds gross, but it looks like dark urine, but in a good way. Hazy golden in color with beautiful bubbles sitting at the bottom releasing in an upside down waterfall. Kind of beautiful to watch.

Smells like, "oh! weed!", but then turns into "oh...oh...thats a skunk". Then some mild hop bitterness.

Taste is much the same, but not quite as potent. Not horrible, but not quite what I'd call enjoyable. Skunky, funky, and just a bit off. Some mild bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel is fine. Light to medium bodied with good carbonation and just a small bit of residue left over.

Overall this is just not my style. I havn't tried many Euro brews of this style, but if this is any indication then i think I will just stick to something else, anything else. Got it as a part of a mix 6 so I didnt waste money on a whole 6 pack. Maybe try this if you like skunky funkiness? Up to you. Drinkable.

1.75/5  rDev -37.5%