Carlsberg Beer | Carlsberg Danmark A/S

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-14-2001

Reviews: 491 | Ratings: 1,512
4.57/5  rDev +51.8%

If you haven't tried Carlsberg yet go out and buy yourself a six pack. You'll love it!

My favorite beers are the Sam Adams family of beers however, when you drink Carlberg you will be very pleasantly surprised.

One of the best beers I have ever tried. Now I will drink it next to one of my favorites, Heineken. ;-)

Carlberg kicks arse!!

4.52/5  rDev +50.2%

Carlsberg... that's a second international beer brand.
And it is a typical Scandinavian lager.
I can not understand how Carlsberg may be compared with American Bud like Aracauna did. These are completely different beers.
Carlberg has meduim yellow color, much darker than Bud's, full malt body with slight hops smell and aftertaste bitterness.
General taste is very harmonic. It is mild, but not so monotone till flavourless as Bud is.
Barley malt feels more vivid in Carlberg... at least for me :)
Anyway... Carlsberg is the first brewery, which refused of using wild yeasts. They started separate pure yeasts and propagate them. This method succeeded in 1883 and still propagated yeasts are called Saccharomyces carlsbergensis.

4.43/5  rDev +47.2%

This is the lager I compare other lagers to. It's light gold in colour with a relatively large, foamy head. It's generally not too carbonated, and is a clean, refreshing mouthfeel. The lager is has a slight dryness on the tongue and finishes with a slightly bitter after-taste.

Would I buy it again? Yes. Was one of my staples in Europe as well as back in Minnesota.

4.36/5  rDev +44.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

pours a crystal clear straw yellow color with a good two finger white head that holds very well and some nice sheets of sticky lace. slight weak herbal nose from the hops. light clean malt taste with a slight black pepper taste at the end. mouthfeel light, crisp tight carbonation. a clean light pilsener thats just right for anytime you just want a cold beer.

4.29/5  rDev +42.5%

Take a second and read your bottle of Carlsberg. What do you see? Look closely and you can find the brew's slogan, "Probably the world's best beer." Well, I won't go quite that far, but Carlsberg certainly is a quality beer. To wit:

This brew appears in your glass as a perfectly clear pale golden color with a thich, foamy white head. Its smell is gently nutty and fairly light. Carlsberg starts rather malty with a faint flavor that seems to my tongue to be lime. It is very light bodied with slgith spice and bitter flavors, though I found the beer to be complex enough to defy solid catagorization. The beer finishes smooth, dry, and longing with a wheat note. It leaves only a small (though somewhat unpleasant) aftertaste. Essentially, every mouthful of Carlsberg begs another.

If your experience with Carlsberg differs from mine, it may be because my bottles were brewed at the Carib Brewery in Champs Fluers, Trinidad; which is about as far from the Netherlands as one can get and still find this beer. This may also explain why I thought Carlsberg was very much like Carib Lager without the aftertaste. As my mother suggested, perhaps Carib Brewery makes their signature brew and Carlsberg on the same line and just uses different bottles for each. A ridiculous suggestion, but amusing and illustrative nonetheless.

4.23/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This Danish beer was fantastic, once I learned that you should not drink it ice cold. It needs to be slightly chilled for it to be enjoyed. This beer makes me want to try more Danish beers.

4.23/5  rDev +40.5%

11.2 oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear golden yellow color with a huge white head of foam that left a sheet of lacing down the glass.

S - bitter czech hop aroma, classic 'skunk' to those who have much to learn.

T - good balance of sour hops meet sweet, grainy malts.

F - light, crisp and refreshing.

D - a session beer if there ever was one!

4.22/5  rDev +40.2%

Another new beer I have been wanting to sample.

Opened the bottle and took a deep smell. Nice. Actually smelled like beer, not floral or citrus or any of that other crap.

First sip revealed a good, strong and tasty beer flavor. Some hops, but the malt balances it pretty well. I have no tolerance for hops, so any little bit extra may as well be a truckload to me. This reminds me of Krombacher (a very good German beer which Georgia's stupid distributor laws do not allow to be sold in GA) and of Weihenstephaner (wow, GA actually allows a German beer to be sold without bowing low and long to Sweetwater) because of the good mix of malt and hops without too much hops. A very good beer to drink and enjoy.

Want to know about the foam lacing or the bready aftertaste? Go to www.beeridiots.com. I have no need of knowing the foam lacing, etc.. I want a beer that tastes good without all the buckets of hops. This beer offers that. Good taste, good flavor, good mix of hops and malts and a satisfied customer in me.

4.19/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance - gold in color, good clarity, and good lacing. Smell - slight bready and slight hops. Taste - really smooth. Solid all across the board. Definitely refreshing. Overall - nice solid beer and if I ever see it on tap, I might have to try that. First time having this beer, but won't be the last.

4.15/5  rDev +37.9%

A beautiful beer! Love the finish the best on this beer. Has a great bitterness that lingers on your tongue. A good beer to pair specific foods with because the contrast will intensify the meal's flavors. The carbonation is perfect and it's suited for all seasons.

4.12/5  rDev +36.9%

This is my original, CANQuest (tm) review, dtd 10 April 2013, which nothing trumps. A bottle review (ho hum) follows.

CAN my local, in-person trader, tone77, come through in a big way, or what?!? I unloaded his big box o' beer from the other night and I could not believe all of the CANs that he had unearthed in support of The CANQuest (TM)!

From the CAN: "Uncompromising quality"; "Exclusive aromatic hops"; "By appointment to the Royal Danish Court"; "Premium beer"; "Copenhagen 1847".

In a 500 ml tallboy CAN, no less! I Cracked it open and after marveling at its fullness, began a standard Glug, still resulting in a massive amount of dense, eggshell-white head with good retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see into the future. Tomorrow looks to be a nice day outside with me stuck inside for most of it and no beer to dull the pain. Nose smelled like lager, the pleasant kind, with a honey-like sweetness and just a kiss of hops, to borrow from an old advertising slogan. I am not taking the piss, either. I have been subjected to so many shite lagers in CANs over these last several years that I have come to really enjoy a simple, adjunct (read, corn)-free lager when one happens my way. Mouthfeel was soft, not quite creamy, but without the kind of forced carbonation that seems to want to scrub my tongue. The taste was mild and unassuming, slightly grassy, mildly sweet and much like everything that belonged to Baby Bear - just right. Finish was semi-dry and very refreshing. I CAN easily see myself hanging out in the backyard, grabbing some of these out of a cooler and making a day of it. I CANnot speak for it from a bottle, but out of a CAN, it was just the ticket as a nightcap.

Aaannnd, here's the bottle review:

Today is 17 Dec 2015 and I happened to be at Subs & Six Packs on Columbia Avenue on Tuesday when this caught my eye.

From the bottle: "By Appointment to the Royal Danish Court". Wow!

I'm sorry, but I just refuse to impressed by anything that is printed on the neck label of a green bottle. Smert' Botyloks! However, the Pop!ping of the cap was a joyous occasion, so we shall begin there on an upbeat note. The aggro pour also put love in my heart and three fingers of puffy, foamy, bone-white head in my glass, albeit with moderate retention. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled strongly of Saaz (Noble) hops and if I did not know better, I might have guessed that a skunk was in my kitchen! Phew! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was definitely a lager and the nose did not carry over to the taste, which was a relief, but it sill did not have the malty emphasis that I associate with GER Pilseners. It was very hop-forward to my palate, but who am I to disagree? I've traveled the world and the seven seas and everybody's lookin' for something. Some of them want to use you, some of them want to be abused by you. Finish was semi-dry, but it really should have been semi-sweet. Looking at the CAN numbers, CAN wins (again), so I am not changing it, but avoid the bottle!

4.1/5  rDev +36.2%

Sampling right now on 3/6/16 but had it before BUT it has been along time actually and never did a review on it. Comes in a pretty emerald-green 330ml (11.2 ounce) embossed bottle. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a flute glass.

Brew pours a slight hazy golden in color with about a half-finger+ white head. LOTS of lacing is seen when sipped that stuck to the sides of the glass. Now for MOST brews in a green bottle, they have the typical 'skunky' aroma BUT not this one. Aroma is of some sweet malts and maybe some light hops. taste pretty much follows the nose ans goes down easy with no bitterness at all. Forgot how much I liked this one actually and I like it better than a regular "Heineken" also which has that 'skunky' smell. Lighter-side of medium bodied with decent carbonation. Overall a good brew.

4.07/5  rDev +35.2%

500ml can poured into a 20oz nonic.

A - Pours an average adjunct lager yellow, with a creamy white cap on top. Decent head retention for a lager, with a creamy foam resting atop the beer long after the pour. Lacing is minimal.

S - This... doesn't even smell like a lager. I'm getting wheat, banana, clove and a really strong aroma of pear. Some clean barley malt and a touch of honey for some sweetness. Sort of like a lager/hefeweizen hybrid. Not even the slightest trace of skunk. This is way, way above average for the style.

T - Wow. This is just a crisp, fresh, and clean lager, that even delivers some actual flavor. Base of pale malt with lots of light citrusy and fruity notes upfront. Notes of wheat, honey, banana, and pear dance across the palate before a crisp finish of grassy noble hops. For the style, this is incredibly clean, with virtually no off flavors whatsoever, and even provides plenty of tasty flavors as it goes down. Puts almost every other lager I've ever tried to shame. Just wow.

M - Surprisingly big body for a lager; clocks in at about medium weight. High carbonation, definitely in fizzy territory, but that's common for the style. Finishes crisp and dry.

D - Given past experiences with this beer, ratings here on BA, and the general mass-brewed adjunct lager feel surrounding this beer, my expectations were about as low as they could be. However, this is a hell of a brew, and does NOT deserve to be lumped in with the average adjunct lager crowd. Drinkability is through the roof. An absolutely great beer all around, and taking style into consideration this is nothing short of exceptional.

4.05/5  rDev +34.6%

An old favorite. Kind of like Stella Artois, but maybe a little bit better. Good Pilsner flavor. Here goes:

A: Clear yellow with plenty of body carbonation. Also pours a good head, but one that readily dissipates and leaves little lacing.

S: Straw, lemon, wheat, and crackery bread. Good Pilsner.

T: Follows the nose, which is good. Floral and lemony.

F: Great. Nice and light. Perfect Pilsner mouthfeel.

O: A good beer. For its style, it's quite lovely.

4.02/5  rDev +33.6%

Very dry beer. Crisp, had a thin head that laced around the glass. Clear, almost to the point of being invisible (not literally, just in figurative "beer" language). What I am trying to say is that this beer is very clear.

Overall, I was impressed by this beer. Unlike Heineken, it has a nice hop taste that compliments the dry finish. Good malt presence too.

This is a very drinkable beer. For what I perceive as being a "mass produced beer" this is exceptional.

Had this on tap at 4Q Danish cafe in Yurakucho, Tokyo. Poured into a Carlsberg pint glass. Clear, light gold hue with a thick beautiful white head. The smell of hops and nuts comes off this pils in a wonderfully unexpected way. The taste follows the smell adequately, and the mouthfeel was smooth yet memorable. Overall, this changed my opinion about Carlsberg which I had only previously tried from the bottle. I enjoyed Carlsberg Gold very much in Singapore, and now I can say that Carlsberg from the tap is a quality pilsner beer.

3.98/5  rDev +32.2%

I am rating the European version on tap that I had while in Ireland. Neither the botttled nor draught versions that I've had in the States can hold a candle to the stuff overseas. The bottled U.S. version is much skunkier and overpowered with unbalanced hoppiness. The draught is better, but still not to the level of the European offering. The color, nose and taste are all equally solid with hoppiness being the main characteristic. Slight corn and grain are present but not dominant. A crisp clean finish dominates a smooth drinking, refreshing pilsener. If you find yourself in Europe imbibe without reservation, but in the U.S., proceed with caution, it pales in comparison to it's European cousin.

3.98/5  rDev +32.2%

This beer is very drinkable. The color is that of a traditional pilsner, and the head when poured into a glass was white, but disipated before the beer was finished. The taste was very light, with a slight tart aftertaste. No skunkiness detected. Aroma after pouring much better that straight after opening.

3.95/5  rDev +31.2%

This beer appears in your glass as a perfectly clear pale golden color with a thich, foamy white head ,the smell is gently nutty and fairly light , the taste starts rather malty with a faint flavor that seems to my tongue to be lime , it is very light bodied with spice and bitter flavors , though I found the beer to be complex enough to defy solid catagorization.
The mouthfeel finishes smooth and dry , it leaves only a small bitter aftertaste , overall every mouthful of Carlsberg begs another

Cheers LampertLand

3.92/5  rDev +30.2%

Beautiful golden color with a white foam head.

Clean, mild malt aroma.

Mild malt taste, slight hops and a clean dry finish.

Smooth, well carbonated and somewhat meaty in the mouth which I found surprising considering the style.

Very easy to drink. A good summer beer also great to cook with. Try marinating a pork shoulder destined to become pulled pork before you smoke it.

3.92/5  rDev +30.2%

a very nice slightly pleasant sweet tasting lager. the best ive had so far... in terms of commercialised lager. fun fact . proud sponsors of liverpool football club in england united kingdom. which is a soccer club. it is a very easy drinking lager which i would highly recommend to all you guys.

3.92/5  rDev +30.2%

I reviewed the bottled version a while ago and wouldn't have bothered with Carlsberg draft if the Sunset Cantina didn't "run out" of my first five draft requests. That said; I added or subtracted a few comments from the Carlsberg bottle review.

A Carlsberg chemist, Emil Hansen in 1883, invented the single cell yeast culture strain. Brewers worldwide know it today as Saccharomyces Carlsbergenis. So you would think that with such distinction to their name, they would take extra measures to produce a beer of equal merit. And, IMHO, Carlsberg beer is does produce a nice, mild everyday, lager. Clear pale gold in color, light bodied, with a fairly sharp metallic hop bite and a nice white head. The draft version is smooth and less harsh with a hint of sweetness. There was no skunky aroma in the draft version and that made a world of difference in the aroma and drinkability rating.

3.9/5  rDev +29.6%

Well this is one of my favorite German style piilsners. I think it has a real nice clean aroma and taste. It's a good thirst quencher to me. Reminds me more of the wonderful Czech beers. I like the carbonation and drinkability factor. So thumbs up here. Tecate is one brew that is better in this paler beer league. No bitter beer taste.

So what goes with Carlsberg? Recommended for Euro Cup Danish matches this weekend. Danes v German.

Music lovers should enjoy this beer with some nice Nordic Jazz. i would recommend Jan Gabarik off the ECM lable. I love HIS cd entitled DIS.

3.9/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Smells of grain, a bit of hops and perhaps some corn. Pretty standard for style it seems.

Some grassiness first is apparent on the taste....a mild bit of cookie veggie or something along those lines as well. There's a firm hop backbone here, which differentiates it from many other popular Euro lagers we receive here. The hoppiness has a fair amount of staying power...and the finish is rather clean. There's a small amount of grain perceptible after the swallow, but not much.

All in all, a clean beer. Nothing to sneeze at, and better than most green bottle Euro macros we receive.

3.89/5  rDev +29.2%

12 oz bottle.

Had this one last night at my friend Michael's house. Always wanted to try it but never got a chance. Veru nice golden color. nice bright taste, like a heine without that weird fox piss-kind-bud taste and aroma. I'll be sure to get tis one again to drink and give it a proper review. You should try one on.

Carlsberg Beer from Carlsberg Danmark A/S