Carlsberg Beer | Carlsberg Danmark A/S

3.01/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,584 |  Reviews: 511
2.28/5  rDev -24.3%

This pours a fizzy pale golden yellow with foaming that quickly dies out. There’s a nasty aroma of adjuncts: cereal and corn malt bla-ness. Tastes light and forgettable, no bitterness, thin finish.
The pride of Denmark shouldn’t be this forgettable adjunct lager.

2.73/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance - Pours a semi-clear, golden straw color with a half finger of head. Sub-par retention, leaving a thin, broken layer of microbubbles on the surface.

Smell - Grain and dextrin sweetness.

Taste - Follows the nose; grain and malty, sugary sweetness. Passing note of grassy hop character in the aftertaste that really does nothing to balance the brew.

Mouthfeel - Medium in body, with a malty presence. Somewhat lively carbonation.

Overall - Malt forward, unbalanced brew. Not a good German Pils by any stretch of the imagination.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

2.75/5  rDev -8.6%

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

4.12/5  rDev +36.9%

This is my original, CANQuest (tm) review, dtd 10 April 2013, which nothing trumps. A bottle review (ho hum) follows.

CAN my local, in-person trader, tone77, come through in a big way, or what?!? I unloaded his big box o' beer from the other night and I could not believe all of the CANs that he had unearthed in support of The CANQuest (TM)!

From the CAN: "Uncompromising quality"; "Exclusive aromatic hops"; "By appointment to the Royal Danish Court"; "Premium beer"; "Copenhagen 1847".

In a 500 ml tallboy CAN, no less! I Cracked it open and after marveling at its fullness, began a standard Glug, still resulting in a massive amount of dense, eggshell-white head with good retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see into the future. Tomorrow looks to be a nice day outside with me stuck inside for most of it and no beer to dull the pain. Nose smelled like lager, the pleasant kind, with a honey-like sweetness and just a kiss of hops, to borrow from an old advertising slogan. I am not taking the piss, either. I have been subjected to so many shite lagers in CANs over these last several years that I have come to really enjoy a simple, adjunct (read, corn)-free lager when one happens my way. Mouthfeel was soft, not quite creamy, but without the kind of forced carbonation that seems to want to scrub my tongue. The taste was mild and unassuming, slightly grassy, mildly sweet and much like everything that belonged to Baby Bear - just right. Finish was semi-dry and very refreshing. I CAN easily see myself hanging out in the backyard, grabbing some of these out of a cooler and making a day of it. I CANnot speak for it from a bottle, but out of a CAN, it was just the ticket as a nightcap.

Aaannnd, here's the bottle review:

Today is 17 Dec 2015 and I happened to be at Subs & Six Packs on Columbia Avenue on Tuesday when this caught my eye.

From the bottle: "By Appointment to the Royal Danish Court". Wow!

I'm sorry, but I just refuse to impressed by anything that is printed on the neck label of a green bottle. Smert' Botyloks! However, the Pop!ping of the cap was a joyous occasion, so we shall begin there on an upbeat note. The aggro pour also put love in my heart and three fingers of puffy, foamy, bone-white head in my glass, albeit with moderate retention. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled strongly of Saaz (Noble) hops and if I did not know better, I might have guessed that a skunk was in my kitchen! Phew! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was definitely a lager and the nose did not carry over to the taste, which was a relief, but it sill did not have the malty emphasis that I associate with GER Pilseners. It was very hop-forward to my palate, but who am I to disagree? I've traveled the world and the seven seas and everybody's lookin' for something. Some of them want to use you, some of them want to be abused by you. Finish was semi-dry, but it really should have been semi-sweet. Looking at the CAN numbers, CAN wins (again), so I am not changing it, but avoid the bottle!

2.75/5  rDev -8.6%