Special Brew | Carlsberg Danmark A/S

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 06-15-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.04/5  rDev +20.2%

Straw gold with tonnes of carbonation, topped with 3 fingers of off white head.

Malt, grains, biscuit, a little alcohol.

Malty, grainy, sweet, strong alcohol presence and burn in the throat.

Syrupy body, lots of soda like carbonation.

Got in Penang, drinking it here tonight in Malaysia. Really a better rep for this kind of brew than many. Maintains a malty quality on the nose, and somewhat on the taste. 8.18.2016

3.27/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

From can, pours a clear golden colour with a good white fluffy head that disapates to a thin layer. Aroma malt, sweet, caramel. Taste sweet, malt, caramel, warming in the belly.

3.3/5  rDev +30.4%

2.43/5  rDev -4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

1.99/5  rDev -21.3%

I awoke face down, somewhere. Struggling to breathe and feeling uncomfortably restricted by my own mass pressing down on my lungs, I panicked and started wriggling around trying to turn around but the movement was making me feel quite ill. Eventually I managed to flip on to my back.

I attempted to open my eyes but the blazing afternoon sun bored in to them like a terrible laser. They'd have to stay closed for now.

I panicked once again as I suddenly realised that I couldn't feel my face. In fact, I couldn't feel anything at all. I would have laughed when I noticed that this was due to the fact that my hands were stuck in my trouser pockets but was too ill to fully appreciate the humour.

I had no idea where I was or what was happening. My tongue felt like a sanding block in my mouth. A sanding block which had been sanding dried sewage off of the inside of an old metal pipe, perhaps; the taste was absolutely foul.

My racing heart was working double time as my body tried to come to terms with whatever had happened to me.

At last I managed to tilt my head to the side and, as my eyelids unstuck, my pupils slowly came to life. I caught a glimpse of several empty cans.

As the blurred image started to come in to focus I made out the words "Carlsberg : Special Brew".

"Ahhhh, that explains it", I thought to myself. At that moment I knew everything would be okay and I started to slowly drift back off to sleep.

"I must remember to pick up more later" was my final thought before full unconsciousness took hold.

I still hadn't worked out where I was.

2.92/5  rDev +15.4%

The first few cans slipped down beautifully.
The next half dozen were like ambrosia to a demigod.
I awoke several hours later, nestled in a bed of full bin bags, enjoying the company of sea gulls with my beard stuck fast to my overcoat.
A superb afternoon in all respects.

2.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

3.05/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottled
Bought to drink to my mother who always loved this
and it is a guilty pleasure classic
theres a malty & syrupy taste that okay isn't great but stops it being flavourless

2.45/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This one left me confused. Okay...we're talking Carlsberg here...so expectations weren't too high. Maybe a bit off topic, but if I ever do get to meet one of the Danish royal family, I will have to ask them what they were thinking "by appointment to the Royal Danish Court." If I was King, I would appoint a freaking great beer. Just sayin.
Okay, deep straw/yellow pour with good sized white head. Decent retention.
Smell was...well I thought it smelled like Carlsberg actually. Maybe that shouldn't have surprised me, but it did. Some spice and alcohol. I was secretly hoping I would be pleasantly suprised by a Belgian triple-like flavor.
I did get the alcohol, but not much there to balance out the malty sweetness. Not a very good beer. Funny, they probably could have used a little sugar to dry this beer out and some spices and had a below average, but drinkable, Belgian-like beer.
Pretty much reminded me of US malt liquor.

2.5/5  rDev -1.2%

1.39/5  rDev -45.1%

320ml Can bought in Kuala Lumpur last year:
Clear with the slightest of yellow hazes, the beer is a golden straw colour and is topped with a bubbly, bone white head that completely disappears soon after.

Not as strong, or as unpleasant on the nose as I was expecting. There is an initial bit of spice and some really sweet notes that is syrup like although the alcohol is fairly well hidden, all things considered anyway. There is some apple malts and even some apples; this one was a million miles better than I had been expecting on the nose.

Boy the aroma was misleading, this is disgusting and offensively strong on the taste buds. I suppose there is some spice and apples from the smell but the alcohol content that I mentioned previously as being well hidden most definitely isn't when it comes to the taste. The beer is overpoweringly strong with hints of sweetness but it's too bad to drink much of at all.

Unbalanced and terribly strong with the alcohol content overpoweringly strong. The beer is light bodied and carbonation is low with the beer just feeling like alcohol with a burning sensation at the end; awful stuff.

As it turns out, my last beer from Malaysia was pretty much like the majority of the others I tried whilst actually in the the country and proved to be a terrible offering. There's not much that can be said from this other than that the alcohol content wasn't hidden at all in the taste and overpowered everything else the beer had to offer, which was a real shame as the aroma was pretty good for the style.

3.75/5  rDev +48.2%

3.5/5  rDev +38.3%

1.95/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours ultra gold from a 16oz can little bits floating in it.... Looks concerning.

Smells of straw and alcohol very very subdued.

Tastes like faint malt and slightly bready. This beer is older but the alcohol is very very very aparent. Not enjiyable.

Mouth feel is ultra light, aggressively carbonated.

Avoid.

2.9/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Back in my room in Hong Kong and enjoying some beer. Poured from an 11.2 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts and grains. Taste is strong of alcohol, some malts, mot paticularly pleasant or enjoyable. Feels light in e mouth and overall there is nothing special about this beer.

2.47/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

This is a truly "special" brew. I don't think I will ever forget its taste and how it cleared my sinuses and opened my pores.

It almost resembles a spicy Belgian strong golden ale upon first glance - dull, street-light, off-yellowish glow with a misty haze that slowly rises up over a few minutes, absorbing into the rather pleasant-looking, cottony tuft of white foam perched tall above its decadent nether-nectar... Looks like a good time, that is, until you hoist the glass to your nose.... This is where the real fun begins...

A not entirely disenchanting industrial paint-stripper aroma... but I couldn't help dipping my snout again and again into the fumes resting atop the liquor... there is a certain intoxicating quality, like super-glue, and a hint of peligro.

I use the word "spicy" all too often to describe the hot, aromatic phenols in Belgians, but SB takes it to an all new level. They call this "pilsner - very strong" on the website. Not getting pils here. Closest thing is American malt liquor with the treble and mids jacked up, buzzing the speakers a little. Surprisingly, there is a honey-cookie-ish malt(?) undercurrent which enables at least that second sip.... I have to admit, there are plenty of other beers out there with a more off-putting flavor than this for different reasons entirely... I wouldn't call this sessionable.

The Carlsberg website claims this goes great with salty blue cheeses and "cleans the tongue with alcohol". I don't know about the first part. Eyes watering, face bright red, vision temporarily blurred with each sip - not out of the question.

I can't even remember if I finished it all. Started to feel dizzy.

2.75/5  rDev +8.7%