Tiger Beer | Asia Pacific Breweries Limited

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2001

Ratings: 1,042 |  Reviews: 393

4.94/5  rDev +79.6%

4.75/5  rDev +72.7%

The most popular beer in Singapore.Its brewed on malt from europe and australia.Its developed by Heineken.Acia Pacific breweries started to brew it in 1931.It got really popular in ww2 by the allied groups in the far east,the soldiers took some beers home to introduce it... Lighth yellow lager 5%.

4.75/5  rDev +72.7%

4.4/5  rDev +60%

Looks like I'm in the minority here... but I thought this beer was well above average. Got mine in a 6 pack of bottles from our local Hyvee supermarket and poured in to a glass. The most noticeable attribute of this one for me was that it was extremely smooth and crisp. I found it to be one of the smoothest lagers I've had in a long time. It was sort of heavy though, so not the best choice for a long session beer. It had a very non obtrusive aroma... almost nothing there. I think that contributes to the overall appeal to me. If your looking for a smooth, crisp, somewhat filling beer without the hoppyness or odor of other beer styles that might be this thick... this is a good bet.

4.37/5  rDev +58.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow reviews for this beer are all over the board. Is it possible that some of you got a skunked beer? It does come in a green bottle and due to the fact that this beer is not widely available it could have been sitting on the shelf. I have sampled this beer on two separate occasions; once at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant and last night from a 6 pack.

The best Asian beer I've had and also one of the best lagers I've had.

The golden is a deep golden that poured a thick head that lasted for the better part of the beer. Tiger is more carbonated than many, but it does not diminish the taste or head. The carbonation gives tiger a unique mouth feel, by quite enjoyable.

The nose is where Tiger really starts setting it self apart. I agree with ZAP?s assessment of a smell similar to chow mien or sweet and sour pork, with a dash of malt and another scent that I couldn?t place.

The taste was excellent, full bodied with a hint of spice. Tiger has a nice malt sweet nice that balances the spice and a very smooth even finish. I would rank this by far the best Pacific-Rim beer and put it against any lager around the world.

4.25/5  rDev +54.5%

4.19/5  rDev +52.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Refreshing Lager, perfect on a warm Singapore afternoon.

4.08/5  rDev +48.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I must say we have this beer on bottle here in Norway not can.
I Like it and it's one of my fav in taste. In my top 5 for sure.

3.98/5  rDev +44.7%

again, i put aside my inner beer geek/snob and...

pours a deep pale straw....

smell is of light malt and grain. doesn't seem 'cheap'

what makes this rise above what is expected is that this simply tastes solid. the cheapy sweetness one would expect is nowhere to be found....instead, there is a nice crispness and lack of thinness...a slight hoppy bitterness permeates, giving this some sense of body. true, nothing spectacular, but this is better than 90% of the crap american, mexican, euro and asian brews. not to say this is the best 'crap' brew! at this price, i found a damn good asian lager that sizzles out most japanese and chinese beers i've had. maybe this was just a lucky bottle. worth a try. beats the u.s. Macro market with ease...

3.94/5  rDev +43.3%

I poured this nice beer into a tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a very pale beer with a big wite foamy head that did not hang around long. The beer had a bready yeasty nose to it. The taste was very refreshing, clean and crisp. Not much really exciting but just a good summer thirst quenching beer. I will buy again.

3.89/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I don't know why everyone else is giving this beer such a poor rating. I'm stuck in Korea and I found this one at the grocery store. I've heard of it but never had a chance to try it until now. It's got a heavy malt character. It is lacking the hop bitterness that I taste with any other beer. It seems to be retaining a thick sliver of head very easily. Maybe its just that all the other beer in Korea is sub-par and Tiger seems that much better when compared to the local swill. Either way when I'm looking for a beer that tastes good and isn't overly priced (Budweiser here costs $4 a can) I'll pick it up and enjoy!

3.87/5  rDev +40.7%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip-style pint glass, well-chilled. It has a rich amber colour, with little head at the pour, but a significant amount of lace. The carbonation is somewhat strong, but not irritating like an American macro. The carbonation bubbles are larger like that of soda, but quite pleasant. There are many peculiar aspects to this beer, but in a good way. The taste is slightly bready with a background of savory spice in both the taste and nose. It would probably pair well with either Southwestern or Indian cuisines. Overall a pretty good beer, very drinkable and refreshing, but nothing astronomical. It's sure no Mackeson, but still a few bounds ahead of the average.

How's that for a slice of fried gold?
Cheers!

3.86/5  rDev +40.4%

Tiger Beer has a thick, white head, and a very clear, golden appearance, with lots of tiny bubbles streaming up the glass. The aroma is initially of overripe fruit of some sort, but this quickly dissipates and is replaced by an ordinary beer smell. Taste is quite bready, and a little hop spice rounds out the flavor. Mouth-feel is medium, and Tiger Beer finishes very dry and refreshing. Overall, this is an interesting and enjoyable beer. It's worth a try.

RJT

3.83/5  rDev +39.3%

11.2oz brown bottle poured into a pint.

A: Pours an extremely clear, pale, straw yellow with a quick 2 finger white head that recedes to just a lacing on the beer.

S: Fairly clean nose with the faintest of hops and mild malt. Grains dominate.

T/M: More malts come through on the palate. This is an extremely crisp beer with great carbonation and lighter body. The faint hops come through in the finish with dryness.

D: One of my favorite macros. A definite session beer for hot days.

3.83/5  rDev +39.3%

My taste is definitely not as refined as most here, but I think I can appreciate a good beer and know when one is bad, although its definitely subjective.

That being said, i was somewhat surprised at the rating Tiger has here. Id never had a Tiger before, and never sought it out, but saw it on the menu at a local Thai place, and was wanting something new.

Wasnt expecting much, but was very pleasantly surprised after my first taste. I thought it had a clean, crisp, but not too bitter taste that I find sometimes in similar beers. My wife had ordered a Singha, which i tasted and found bitter and metallic by comparison. It really hit the spot, and even said to myself that Id pick up a six pack at the next opportunity. I dont say that about beers in this class that i try in restaurants.

maybe it was that I just really needed a cold beer at the time..

Tiger Beer from Asia Pacific Breweries Limited