Barleywine Ale | Brauerei Hofstetten Krammer GmbH & Co. KG

Added by Bitterbill on 02-20-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 27 | Ratings: 38
3.78/5  rDev +5.6%

Purchased from The Wine & Cheese Place.

12oz screw cap bottle, label says brewed Nov 2009.

It pours a clear brownish red with a 2 finger head of foam and some nice lacing.

The smell isn't very Barleywine like at all...smells a lot like the very good Kubelbier that I also just tried so see my review of the nose there. ;^) More sweet notes showed up during the session so I can now say it does have a BWSA sort of nose.

The taste is also Kubelbier-like but intensified both in flavours and alcohol.Very little sweetness here that I'd expect to find in a beer called an English Barleywine. Too much orange citrus and overall general bitterness. I'm not saying it tastes bad, put it under the American Barleywine style and that would be a better fit, imho. Ok, I'm getting more used to the flavours hitting my palate and there does seem to be more appropriate levels of sweetness but it doesn't quite get there for me.

The mouthfeel consists of some lightish carbonation and a rather thin body. Too thin, me thinks.

Drinkability? It isn't al that easy to drink and it isn't even on the high end range for the style. Good but could be much better.

3.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Surprized to find a barleywine from this brewery( B.United website calls this an Austrian Barleywine).
Poured into a snifter, deep red and very clear with a small foamy head that drops quickly, but laces nicely.
Smell is strong noble hop aroma and floury-grainy...kind of a super pilsner smell.
Tastes sweet and very malty at first..hint of corn and honey, but the hops follow with a quick bite; not overdone, but a sharp contrast to the sweetness. There are a lot of subtle fruit flavors that blend well with the malt...not so much with the hops; although the melding does improve as it warms. Slight heat from the alcohol along with another whack from the hops at the finish, which is pretty dry, but does leave a lingering ,earthy,honey aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is much lighter than I expected, with pretty good carbonation.
All the while I'm tasting this I'm thinking that it's kind of a punchy concentrated version of their Keubelbier(an imperial zwickel?), same flavors, much more intensity and bite.
Pretty good. I'm guessing that not much will be gained from aging this one....but I'll probably age one just to see.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last