Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Palmetto AmberPalmetto Amber

Palmetto Brewing Company
South Carolina, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

A complex malt character is balanced with just the right amount of hops, resulting in a clean full flavored beer.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2002

Reviews: 97 | Ratings: 239
1.27/5  rDev -63.9%

Where ever I go, I pick up beer from local breweries. I bought a six pack from a freezer in a well frequented gas station around exit 33 on I-95.

The first thing that hit me was a distinct cotton candy taste. Way too sweet for any beer style, I would know of. The caramel malt lingered for a while to get washed away by sourness and a bitter (not hoppy, just bitter) aftertaste. I assumed the bottle cap hadn't sealed correctly and discarded the beer as spoiled. I carefully smelled the second bottle and got hit by sour cotton candy. I poured the beer to see if it is cloudy or somehow off color but it poured nice. I had another sip but had to fight just to swallow.

Reading the other reviews I am not sure if I got a bad batch or a six pack close to being spoiled. What I bought and tried consuming was the worst beer I ever had and believe me, I had my fair share of first batch home brews.

1.46/5  rDev -58.5%

Although this beer does look nice in a glass, like a typical amber beer, it's looks do nothing for the taste. The smell should have clued me into something being off but I drank the beer anyway. Upon first taste it is harsh and acidic. As I drank more the harsh overly hoppy flavor seemed to get worse. This has to be the worst beer I have ever tasted, and I have had some bad beers. Luckily I got a pint for free. I would have been very upset had I had to pay for it. Never again...

2.38/5  rDev -32.4%

Bottle. Pours a deep amber with a slight head. Yeast and hops on the nose. Thick with malts and bitterness as well as a caramel sweetness. Not enough hops to balance the malts. Not the most enjoyable amber for sure. Thanks derrickt007 for the bottle.

2.68/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured a cloudy amber with no head and very little lacing on top. Strong caramel malt aromas with some hints of nuts and mild sweetness. Taste is much the same - dark and amber malts, some candied sugar sweetness and some wood flavors as well. Body is light with a long malty finish. I was not overly impressed ... then again ... I am not a big amber fan either.

2.72/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Drank it from a bottle in Shem Creek, SC. It was okay, I had heard from others from the Midwest who I met in SC that it was not good. I really wanted there Pale Ale but they did not have it. The general taste was good but there was a slight unsatisfying taste that was hard to place. A little bit bitter. It was a little bit like an end of the road batch but not bad enough to be off. The sad part about it is that the underlying taste was good just a bad delivery.

2.8/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured a dark red color with just a slight rim of lacing around the top. Smell was floral, and a little charred scent. Taste was not there for me. Smooth and crisp, but I wasn't finding the flavors that I usually look for in a good red/amber. Some charred flavor to go with the smell; some hops. Finish was bitter, but clean.

Was an ok brew, but not one I'd necessarily recommend.

2.8/5  rDev -20.5%

First tasting was on the beach at Hilton Head so I was hoping atmosphere wasnt going to sway my review...and it didnt.
Poured a medium amber with virtually no head or lacing to speak of.
Smells was very sweet in the malt department reminding me of candy.
Taste seemed a bit too sweet as well. Cloying and thick are two words I think of when drinking this....not a very good beer.

3.06/5  rDev -13.1%

Another one thanks to BA dmamiano.

Nice amber color with a good thick tan head. A few streams of bubbles streaking up from the bottom of the pint glass. Fairly clear but seems to have a slight haze. Lacing is evident.

Aroma is a bit syrupy, some roasted malt and a bright citrus hop presence. Taste also has a thick syrupy nature. Almost extract-like IMO. There is some roasty dark malt notes and noticeable flowery hops but it's all in the background to the burt caramel taste.

Thick and not very carbonated. Not an impressive brew, but sure it's drinkable and much better than the alternative that the masses have accepted.

3.08/5  rDev -12.5%

Had in a bottle at the Charleston Place Hotel in Charleston, SC. Poured an amber color with a slight head that faded shortly after pouring. There was carbonation visible on the side of the glass.

The smell was slightly sweet with a heavier hop note to it. But nothing really out of the ordinary for an amber.

Sat heavy on the tongue. Started sweet and then finished with a typical amber finish. The bitterness lingered.

3.11/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured into a lager glass from a chilled 12 oz. bottle.

Dark golden color more like a brown with gold streaks in it. Very little head. Lots of bubbles sticking to the sides, with little aeration.

Aroma of malts and sugar and molasses. Faint aroma of hops/flowers.

Taste: Despite the strong aroma of sugar and molasses, the beer has no sweetness to it. Straight and narrow malts and barley. Some lingering bitterness but not a hoppy bitterness.

More bitterness toward the end and in the mouthfeel.

Definitely unlike any beer I've had. Added to my repertory, but not sure I would seek it out.

3.12/5  rDev -11.4%

I've had this beer on several trips to Charleston. The brew's aroma is appealing with an appetizing hoppiness. Unfortunately, beyond the smell, the beer is ordinary. Light body, and the finish could be more bitter. On the other had, it’s not an undrinkable beer, and has potential to be a good session brew.

3.12/5  rDev -11.4%

reddish and cloudy, a little lace around the glass and a very thin head.

smells balanced, malty alternates with hoppy characters

tastes of straight hops, a slight malty finish

has a distinct bitterness, not incredibly balanced feel.

Not a fantastic beer, this is alot more hoppy than I expected

3.15/5  rDev -10.5%

Hazy copper, tawny, orange-ish color with a decent beige head. Sweet malty and light grainy aroma. Grainy malt flavor with a light spiciness. Light-medium bodied with a light harsh finish.

Average Amber Ale at best. Not one I'd bother to pick up again.

3.16/5  rDev -10.2%

12oz bottle into a pint glass
no bottled on date

A: Pours a crystal clear amber with 2 fingers width of tan colored head. Head dissipates down at a moderate, to a thin film that remains throughout the drink. Lots of honeycomb lacing.

S: Some sweet and some almost smokey malts. Some adjunty- type aromas. Not much many characters at all.

T: Follows the nose in that the malt bill is the dominant player. Theres a burnt grass/herbaceous character. Some hops come out in the flavor, but not a lot. Just some subtle bitterness.

M/D: Medium body, appropriate carbonation, drinkability is average.

O: Meh. Not something Id probably buy again. Id drink if it were given to me though.

3.17/5  rDev -9.9%

Deep amber color with slight undercarbonation. Malty but not enough hops for my taste. An American amber needs more hops in my mouth. This is an average beer (per the style) with no real outstanding features.

3.19/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a snifter.

2.75 A: Mildly hazed orange amber color. Less than one finger of frothy beige head. Retention is below average and just a few wisps of lacing are left.

3.0 S: Sweet caramel and graininess. Not quite clean as there's some breadiness in there. Light mineral component. It's okay, but it needs more malt in there.

3.25 T: Like the nose, lots of caramel and graininess. Bready base with hints of mineral. Mild bitterness. Grassy hops. Better than the taste, but still mediocre.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Lightly creamy and smooth.

3.25 D: It's okay, but nothing I would pick up again.

3.2/5  rDev -9.1%

When I put this to my nose, the first thing I thought about was toffee. Bitter caramel and hints of nutty coffee. Not much in the line of flavoring hops, this is a malty beast. A bit thin and watery. Not a bad beer, but not enough of anything to make it really stand out. Amber, cloudy, not much carbonation. Slightly tart. Overall, unfortunatly just a little bland. Perhaps on tap would give it a little more life.

3.2/5  rDev -9.1%

Dark Amber/lite brown with thin off white head;sweet malt nose; lite malt flavor to start, dry slightly bitter finish; lite mouthfeel; overall,dry band-aid with undercurrent of malt flavors.

3.23/5  rDev -8.2%

Served on tap in SC. Pours a deep amber, not a lot of head. Smell... some malt and slight hops. Nondescript. Taste... Tastes like Yeungling Lager, pretty much. Its good on a hot day, slight malt and hop profile, maybe a touch of maple in the end? A pretty boring, but refreshing beer on a hot day. Good marks for drinkability, but I wouldn't seek it out.

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a snifter.
This is a solid, but quite average and unremarkable amber ale, It does lean a tiny bit towards the hoppier and less sweet side of the amber ale.spectrum. Even the appearance is average in terms of color, head, and clarity.

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Palmetto Amber poured in a pint glass, had great color and a very inviting aroma. the taste was stronger than anticipated for this amber. It had a very strong aftertaste that I would characterize this beer as a sipping beer vice the "cold one" after cutting the grass. Once you took the first sip you could tell this was a well crafted brew. After the third sip the initial strength of the brew became very palatable. This would be a great beer to have with a dinner.

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

Hazy, dark unpolished bronze in hue with coppery-amber highlight; I like the color. The head, at the highest point, was only a half finger tall. Head retention was pour; it quickly faded to a skinny collar. There was some spotty subsequent lacing. On the whole, the appearance is respectable.

At first, the nose smelled like rotten watermelon rinds. Needless to say this was off-putting. After a few more whiffs I could smell some caramel malt with a kiss of toffee. After even more time passed the rotten aspect of the watermelon rinds dissipated and it just smelled like watermelon rinds. There were also hints of orange. Not much hop characteristics. The nose became decent after awhile. I hope that “rotten” smell is not found in the taste. I guess it is time I take a sip and find out.

The palate is very agreeable. Thank god I didn’t taste any watermelon. I really like the succulent caramel malt notes, pleasantly sweet with a smattering of biscuit. Lightly flowery and fruity notes too. Moderate bitterness with a faint earthiness; more hop bit would have been nice. While the palate is simple I like it. I can’t ask for much more in the style. It is a fairly solid Amber Ale, IMO… I like Fat Tire more though.

Medium in body, moderate carbonation but natural feeling; the mouthfeel is quite agreeable and it fits this beer well.

If the nose didn’t start off so poorly I’d have a more positive opinion; as is, it is decent. There are so many beers on the market like this one it is hard to get excited about. I am jaded. I bet this would be a good beer for a BBQ or to crossover a BMC drinker with. Thank you timtheenchanta for the enjoyable South Carolina brew! Worth a try.

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

My vacation beer purchased from Publix on Folly Beach...

How fitting..

A - 3.5 good, kind of a reddish caramel cover, I poured mine in a non traditional beer drinking glass - you know those only available glasses at the condo your staying in... It had a mild carbonation that left a small head that quickly dissapated. Didn't bother me as I still thought it appeared above average. Thus it's good.

S - the smell is sweet... it's good but not great, guess that makes it average.

T - taste is also good or I should say average, It's hoppiness isn't too strong for my taste buds, but yet it's stronger than what I normally go for. Plus there's a lack of "something" that normally would keep my interest in a hoppy beer. This something differs from beer to beer, and I'm going to write it off as it simply lacks originality of flavor. Good not great. Thus average.

M - mouthfeel is good. The appearent mild carbonation is just that, appearence, as this beer hides it's carbonation well but maintains it even better. The mouthfeel is crisp and tingly, very good..

D - drinkability is 3.5.. I say this because I like the way it feels but not so much the taste. Clear as mud?

Very good beer that's average to me but I think others may like it more... It wants to be a pounder I think but is a little harsh... yet it's not as original for a true beer drinkers beer.

Course I could just be intoxicated and rambling on my vacation....

Thank You Sir, I'll have another.

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lives up to the amber title. Poured into a flute. Head quickly dissipates leaving a ring of foam around the mouth of the glass.

Nothing overwhelming about the smell...perhaps a trace of ginger?

Taste the predominately hoppy with a bitter aftertaste, crisp yet not overly enjoyable.

Always good to try something new, but would not be a regular drink for me.

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Too watery and not enough malt sweetness to compensate for the bitterness from the red malts and the added hops.

I'm a firm believer that this style needs the right water source to soften the rough edges and make it a beer for the masses

Palmetto Amber from Palmetto Brewing Company