Great Lakes Oktoberfest | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes OktoberfestGreat Lakes Oktoberfest

3.95/5  rDev -1%

4.16/5  rDev +4.3%

2.24/5  rDev -43.9%

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Caramel orange coloring, dark, with a nice movement of effervesce within. Tan head is creamy smooth, 0.5 inches with a good hold. Thick band lacing, very good to style.

S: Fresh wet noble hops, nice strength, sweet toasty malt. Fresh barley, candy-orange and apple fruitiness.

T: Flavor was earthy noble flowers with a deep lush malting. Nice toasty speciality grains, apple peel, sweet caramelized grains that finishes lightly dry with some earthy leaves.

M: Sticky full body, syrupy feel, a good carbonation backing.

O: Not many octoberfests have the lush malt depth and earth hop appeal this has. Nice toasty backing, flavorful with an ideal drink-ability. Full, a bit heavier then your typical German counterpart, but one that still can throw back. outstanding overall.

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Crystal-clear, amber body; classic head height, creamy and sticky. Low-key aroma; gentle, toasted grain and a twinge of fruitiness. Crusty bread flavor with a toasted grain and and delicate honey sweetness. Medium body; warm and glassy.

A well-rounded oktoberfest highlighting the malt and grain aspects of its ingredients. Toasted grains tempered with a mild fruitiness and just enough bitterness to add a little extra dimension to things make for a superb, finely crafted beer.

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.63/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.61/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A group of local imbibers held the #PumpkinChallenge2016 recently, wrapping up on M, 03 Oktober 2016. I then proposed the #OktoberfestChallenge2016 & while I do not know how many participants there are, I am hitting it full bore. Today will be my New OktoBierFest Sunday (Week TBD) with an opportunity to do a horizontal tasting.

From the bottle: "Prosit! Our take on this classic German style is a celebration of maltiness - packed with rustic, autumnal flavors to put a little more oomph into your oom-pah-pah."

I will be the first to say that as a lifelong (dating from 9 y/o) Pixburgh sports fan with a healthy hatred of all things Klevelend, but between a great visit in late-Summer 2007 and the passing of Great-Aunt Rita & Great-Uncle Max Vozar, I have a small soft spot for the place. I last saw Uncle Max in the Summer of 1989 when I came east on leave from the west coast with the sole purpose of going to baseball games. I asked Max if he wanted to come along to any of the three games against the KC Royals at Municipal Stadium, but he begged off, explaining, "Here, I got my Barcolounger, my cigars & cigarettes, cold beer in the fridge, sammiches at the ready, a 'Mute' button and if it gets outta hand, the 'Off' button. Dahn air, I'm stuck! Nah, you have a good time & tell 'em I'm rooting for 'em, but I'll do it from right here in Parma!" Ha! I am rooting for Th' Inn-dinnz as a result.

I am also rooting for another good Oktoberfest bier, being on a bit of a roll, all of a sudden. As usual, it begins with the Pop! of the cap, followed by a decent pour. Mine produced three-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with great (Lakes) retention. Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. I would really put it closer to 17, though, not to oversell it. I will grant them truth in advertising in that the nose was quite malty, very sweet with caramel and maple syrup notes. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was much too sweet for my taste, especially following those previous two. This was very much of maple syrup, although not as viscous. I was not getting anything in terms of hops, just a sugary malt bomb that had me concerned about diabetes to go along with my weight and asthma. Woof! No kidding, I had to take a short break as it got my heart racing. That would be about as much sugar as I need in one sitting. Finish was sweet. Unrelentingly sweet. I know that there are those people who really dig this sort of thing, but I am not one of them. This represented at least a headache and possibly a hangover for me. Hey, if this is your bag, then have at it, but I gotta ramp back.

3.75/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to Superspak for this one from his NBF BIF #4 box. 12oz bottle poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a bright, clean, clear golden honey amber color with about 3/4 inch of just off-white head that had light-moderate retention and just traces of laces.

The scent was Nicely malty, some sweetness, and had some very gentle hopping. Very much the same on the tongue, it hits all the notes you expect it to. The body was smooth and even, with a semi-sweet finish. Drinkability was very good, the beer goes down quickly and easily, leaving you ready for another. Overall, a very good beer, very solid and enjoyable, and lives up to its reputation.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

4.15/5  rDev +4%

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

4.02/5  rDev +0.8%

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

Solid rendition of the classic style, it maybe goes a little too weighty on the richer malt tones and ends up a little more amber ale, but nevertheless very drinkable

3.35/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.93/5  rDev +23.6%

I have had a lot of different Oktoberfest's over the past few year's and I can honestly say that Great Lakes Oktoberfest is the best. Some Marzen style beers are too malt forward and some are not balanced. This beer is everything I look for in an Oktoberfest and then some. It has incredible malt character with a clean but not overpowering bitterness. The color reminds me a lot of a fall sunset and that drives me to drink this even more. Prost!

4.41/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

2.51/5  rDev -37.1%

I bought a six back of bottles because of the high rating and reviews. Very disappointing. It lacks the deep malt and caramel oat flavors you'd normally find in a marzen lager and leaves you with what I felt was a green tea with two tablespoons of yeast. Sorry Great Lakes.....maybe I'll give it another try...now I'm just hoping someone drinks it when I host a halloween party later this month.

Great Lakes Oktoberfest from Great Lakes Brewing Co.