Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Great Lakes Oktoberfest | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes OktoberfestGreat Lakes Oktoberfest

Ratings: 2,280 |  Reviews: 643

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

3.91/5  rDev -3.5%

Pretty good stuff, meng. Served too cold, with a smallish, cream-colored head and good lacing. Aroma was almost nonexistent probably due to my low ability to smell, so all I can do is give benefit of the doubt. Color is a clear copper amber. Flavor's very nice and to me, so important for an Oktoberfest, not too sweet. It is malty, bread, cracker, some tang, hint of bitter, roast, and dry. Body/carbonation excellent esp. considering temperature. Finish is like flavor, average length, very easy drinking. Solid beer.

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

3.74/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Combination of original review, updated review on tap 8/12/2014, and fresh bottle 8/2015. I feel the 2015 review to be most accurate with another year on me reviewing beers. Also, it is my thought of the current version, with any changes in the beer since my first review:

Edit 2015: this beer is a little more golden than amber, with appearing more orangish than amber in this pour. Head is average, sustaining, and does provide lacing, so not sure about previous reviews.
Original: Pours a clear amber, with not much head, retention, or lacing.

Edit 2015: Bready notes, but a lightly spiced bread, maybe even a raisin bread. The non-bread notes I am getting are light and combined well, but I am getting impressions of cinnamon, white raisin, and maybe even the lightest whiff of lemon.
Original: Slightly woody maltiness with a hint, ever so slight, of toffee and a British ale yeast undercurrent.

Edit 2015: One area where my original review isn't far off. The malt is in the forefront, but it isn't sweet by any means. I would now describe it more like I did the smell, like a light breakfast bread, with some cinnamon spice, light amount of sweetness, and a little fruity tart bite. Feel wasn't as impressive as I mentioned before, being a bit lighter than I previously mentioned, but still nicely smooth.
Original: The taste is very smooth, if unexciting (not that I expect exciting from an Oktoberfest). This beer I think fits the standard for Oktoberfests, perhaps a little less spice notes and a little more bitterness. The body on this is what most impressed me, medium heavy; maybe I am mistaken body for a bit of complexity. I get malt cinnamon and toffee beginning, a slightly metallic bitterness in the middle, and a lingering woody bitterness in the end.

2014 edit (stand by this 2015 review, although up another tenth a point this year):
Overall, a very drinkable beer. Smoother than the Oktoberfest I had just before it (original review), which I appreciated. I have most likely under-rated this for the style (re-review I fixed this to some degree), but it was a bit stronger in flavor than the Hofbrau I had after, if not quite as smooth.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance - light amber color; about an inch thick white head

Smell - plenty of sweet malt and a faint of citrus - primarily oranges

Taste - intense sweet malt from start to finish with just a touch of bitterness at the very end. There were also subtle hints of rye. As the beer went from cold to room temperature, the malty flavor remained rich. While each sip was fulfilling, you just had to take another sip after another. The sweetness was impressive; it was sort of a bit one dimensional yet it's aggressive. This has a heck of a lot of malt.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied mouthfeel. Perfectly carbonated.

Overall - this beer is outstanding. The flavors are robust, it doesn't disappoint. If you like beers with heavy malt, this is the one to try. This is the best Oktoberfest I have tried so far.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Great Lakes Oktoberfest from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.05 out of 5 with 2,280 ratings