Oktoberfest | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

OktoberfestOktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by WVbeergeek on 11-04-2003

Ratings: 2,289 |  Reviews: 644
3.91/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

After reading the reviews, I was on the lookout. Nice version of the classic German Marzen. The colder the better I found for this bottle. I was anxious and opened the first one a tad early. Once it cooled down it was super. Was really crisp at the right temperature. Eager to try it on tap.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Clear dark copper. slight brown 1 finger head. lots of carbonation on this brew.

S: Butterscotch and toffee sting the nostrils before a tremendous backing of biscuit, dried bread and stale toast. A little yeast funk rounds the nose out.

T: Big folds of bread. buttered brown toast. A toffee sweetness is there but very light. Just enough of a roast to make itself known. a small amount of spice kicks in before more dried bread. perfectly balanced.

M: Great carbonation with a little spice and bread finish.

O: Perfectly blanced. an easy drinking marzen; a true standout. /92

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

4.07/5  rDev +0.5%

A- pours a bright copper color with a small foamy/sudsy white head that reduces quickly, leaving only a small ring around the glass

S- classic marzen aromas of toasted sweet malt with some woodsy and earthy notes, dried leaves with some nice fruity esters

T- sweet and malty with earthy Forrest floor notes, fruity notes of plum with just a touch of caramel. Nice toasty malt backbone balances out the sweetness quite well, sweet finish with more fruity notes

M- medium body and carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a crisp finish

O- I'd out this one near the top of the style, up there with Ayinger, and probably the best American version I've tried. Lots of fruity notes with the toasted, sweet malty flavors expected of the style

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My favorite Oktoberfest of them all. Yes, I am quite biased in favor of Great Lakes Brewing Company because one of my best friends worked there for nine years and I've spent many a fine afternoon/evening at the place. But my preference for GLBC beer is primarily because the beers are almost always outstanding. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.97/5  rDev -2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a golden amber color. About two fingers of a fluffy, barely off-white head is featured. Retention is surprisingly good for a lager, and there's plenty of lacing left behind, too.

S: I've never had a marzen that seemed this juicy before. The aroma is more reminiscent of fruit punch (or perhaps a good apple cider) than it is the bready caramel sweetness typical of the style. The hops give off nice notes of grass, apricot, and peach. Aromatically, it's probably as good as a marzen gets.

T: A touch of the caramel-y sweetness does appear initially, but the real star of the show is how juicy it seems to be - and how much of that juiciness seems to come from the hop profile. Apricot, apple, peach, and pineapple make up the bulk of the flavors around the middle, with some bitter hoppiness finishing it off.

M: It has a fairly light body, with a rather wet finish. Normally, I'd prefer a drier beer, but since the flavors are so good, I don't care. Carbonation is middling, which I like.

O: This is unusual. Why? Because it's not a marzen I want to chug - it's a marzen I want to savor. How Great Lakes crams so much fruity flavor into their lagers, I'll never know. I'd put this up near the top of all the oktoberfest beers I've ever sampled. If my last review said I wouldn't have minded getting a six pack of the beer in question (ST's 2XRYE), then I'll state in this I kind of wish I got a six pack instead of a single.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.09/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a crystal clear copper color with a moderate off-white head that soon disappears almost entirely. Aroma is light, smelling of noble hops and caramel malt. Taste is similar to the aroma, featuring mild caramel, grassy hops, and an off-putting dash of apple juice. There's also a metallic twinge that muddles the middle and obscures what ought to be the backbone of the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is light but appropriate for the style.

I'm not much of a fan of oktoberfests to begin with, but even by oktoberfest standards, this is unremarkable. The peculiar juiciness is distracting, and there's just not much else there to gravitate toward. Perhaps my least favorite offering from Great Lakes.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

Oktoberfest from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.05 out of 5 with 2,289 ratings