Great Lakes Oktoberfest | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes OktoberfestGreat Lakes Oktoberfest

1.25/5  rDev -68.7%

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

3.75/5  rDev -6%

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

It's a style that I like but don't love, know what I mean? But this beer, I love. It's that good.

I was completely blown away with this one. Some nice sweetness to it and great toasted bread notes. Such a pleasant surprise even from the first taste.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Beautiful burnt orange color with a very nice, foamy head. My pour was half side of a stemmed chalice, half down the middle. The head remained intact and a full 1". Foam laced evenly.

The taste was very pleasing with easy mouth. Drinks very mildly and smooth.

I'm getting hungry right now, so the 2nd one will be paired with a slice or two of a thin and crispy pizza. The carbonation is good, so a clean palate will be expected before each bite.

I just had a Flying Fish Oktober Fish last week, I'd say this Great Lakes version is much better. If I could choose an Oktoberfest to rest upon this Fall, this would be the one.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.89/5  rDev -2.5%

Best by 9/30/13 ... poured on September 5th.

Appearance: Doesn't pour quite as nicely as I thought it might -- no big, billowy head. Not really any lacing. Barely a film on top of the beer. At least the color is spot on, with the color of autumn.

Smell: Very pleasant, sweet malt aroma. There's also a mild spicy hop character in there as well. Simple, clean, what's to be expected.

Taste/feel: I wouldn't call this outstanding, but I'd consider it very good. First, the feel -- medium mouthfeel, with a nice carbonation to it that is nearly perfect and my favorite part of this Oktoberfest. The beer itself is perfectly true to the style, except for the fact that I get a mild alcohol flavor on the end that puts me off just a little bit. A touch sweeter than it is bitter, which I like in my Oktoberfests. A super solid example of the style, and my first Oktoberfest of the year. Tasty beer.

2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

3.08/5  rDev -22.8%

Served a pint on tap at Republic Uptown.

A-Crystal clear with weak beige head that laces the glass a bit. Color is light amber with orange hue. Lighter in color than most marzens.

S-A bit weak in the sweet toasted barley malt that is remniscent of the style. High in the spicy hop character.

T-Like the aroma this beer has a weak toasted slightly sweet toffee taste with a much higher than usual spicy peppery hop back end taste and finish. Reminds me of a maibock.

M-Weak bodied with high carbonation. Crisp finish with a mild bitter spicy noble hop finish.

O-A bit disappointed in this beer as I prefer my Marzens with more carmelized roasted malt character with a bit more body.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

Great Lakes Oktoberfest from Great Lakes Brewing Co.