Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPAGreat Lakes Commodore Perry IPA
3.88/5
Very Good
Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPAGreat Lakes Commodore Perry IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2003

Ratings: 2,858 |  Reviews: 887

1.18/5  rDev -69.6%

I occasionally visit this site for beers I have seen and would like to try because the reviews are typically accurate, but not in this case.

I picked up a 6 at the local shop, beers go fast there so it's typically fresh, that and I live in Cleveland.

Opening the bottle at a pretty chilled temp I gave it a sniff, but it kinda smelled rotten, no fruity or citrus tone, no hops detected. It actually smelled like puke, so I let my friend, a better taster than me and he had to agree. The first sips did taste like bile as well, and it felt really harsh in my mouth like a budwieser or coors feels.

I have been a drinker of burning river as well, and I remember the quality to be much better than my recent purchase. It also gives a bad mouthfeel now and a big taste of alcohol even though it's only 6.0% I typically drink southern tier, stone, and occasionally lagunitas so I'm pretty sure my palette is refined enough to give this a really harsh review.

Perhaps quality has drastically changed because I know you guys on here give really honest reviews.

1.58/5  rDev -59.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

1.71/5  rDev -55.9%

Nice light golden color - not what I'd expect in an IPA but nice anyway.

It had a funny fruity smell - I guess because it's trying to be English style maybe. But it tasted awful! Bitter blast of dirty not coolness. Not cool hoppy bitter, but metal dirty rotten hops dunked in glue.

A bad bottle? My friend gave it to me from his six pack which he said was fine, so I dunno.

GROSS! I dumped it while frowning.

1.72/5  rDev -55.7%

So ive tried oktoberfest from this brewery and thought it was very tasty, However the second 6er we got was this and let me tell you it tastes like GRAPEFRUIT juice gone bad mixed with alcohol. Very nasty. The smell was nice and wasnt expecting to be blasted by nastiness. Now I will consider trying it again because it wont be the first time I tried a beer for the first time and hated it.. Be it that I got a bad/old batch or just the taste buds werent up to it. The date on these bottles were 11/20/08 so dont know what happened. Thanks for reading.

2.07/5  rDev -46.6%

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.88 out of 5 with 2,858 ratings