Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPAGreat Lakes Commodore Perry IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States | website

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2003

Reviews: 866 | Ratings: 2,773
3.94/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a pale orange with a fluffy, slowly dissipating one-finger head. Moderate lacing. Aroma of orange zest and honey. More malt character than hop.
Taste starts out slightly sweet with caramel notes. Slight hop bitterness at the finish. Light to medium bodied with good carbonation. A nice change from American IPAs!

4.54/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great tasting ipa.I believe I will look for this beer again.Excellent citrus aroma and strong hops flavor.Not surprised though it was the last of its stock on shelf.the hops flavor was near perfect bitter,that I enjoy. but also just sweet enough to compliment a great steak.

A smooth tasting and overall good IPA that goes down well. It does not carry too much bite as an IPA and I would bet that it would be an awesome beer to go with a steak or ribs. This is easily my favorite of the beers from the Great Lakes Brewing Company. Give it a try.

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

This hot dog thing is a very unique beer for Raul. When he poured it into the teku, the bad boi glowed like Rita Hayworth when she flipped her hair back in "Gilda" - wowie zowie to say the least.

Taste is unique because Raul ain't sure if it is an IPA or a Pale Lager. Regardless, Raul is enjoying its smooth textures and light hoppy/orange flavors. It kind of makes Raul want to rejoice - not exactly scream in rejoice - just rejoice.

Peace!

3.72/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into the glass with a nice head. Smell had citrus notes, but caramel malt prevailed, especially for an IPA. Taste was malty with a significant bittering hop profile. Mouth feel was outstanding! For me, a substantial beer (7.5% abv) in alcohol content and flavor that establishes this beer as a "stand alone" more than a session. Great Lakes does it again :)

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Pours a golden orange with a half inch head that leaves moderate lacing.

Smell- Strong smell of orange bitterness and caramel. Also get a scent of fresh bready grains.

Taste- Like the smell orange and caramel with a moderate bitterness that doesn't linger. Again with a back end of grains as it warms

Mouthfeel- Good mouthfeel and carbonation.

Overall- A little citrusy for an English IPA, not a bad tasting beer. Good amount of caramel and bready grains as it warms.

Pours a nice golden orange with a finger of foam.

Floral notes, citrus, light caramel sweetness.

Honey and caramel like sweetness, light citrus, and floral hop bitterness.

Light-bodied, medium carbonation, crisp, low bitterness.

Overall, a pretty swell IPA.

4.24/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into tulip.

A - Clear bright copper with a large dense white head. Great head retention.

S - Pine, citrus zest, sweet caramel malt. Hints of grapefruit and floral hops.

T - Orange, grapefruit, bready malt, caramel and pine. Very well balanced. Finishes with a mild earthy hop bitterness and a residual of toasted grain.

M - Really crisp and refreshing mouthfeel. Medium bodied, average carbonation. Dry finish.

O - Simply a delicious beer, bordering on a tasty DIPA. I'm impressed at how easy it is to drink, as no alcohol is detected. Lots of hop flavors to pick out too.

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured this into my typical style glass; oversized at that.

Poured a brilliant gold with nice bubbling coming from the bottom. A nice white head that has some lacing. The head went down to a thin layer by the time I got half way through.

Nose is floral, citrus and spice but not real strong.

Taste I found to be quite balanced and enjoyable. A slightly above average dose of citrus hops with some citrus peel finish and a hint of malt. A rather full mouth feel for an English style. Overall, I found this beer quite a pleasure to drink.

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I purchased this six pack at the local company that just purchased Harris Teeter for around $8 or $9. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 12oz pint glass obtained from a bar somewhere. (you know one of those pint glasses that only holds a pint if you fill it over the edge but holds twelve ounces just right??).

My glass was chilled and my beer was cold, and it poured a 1/2" creamy looking head that quickly faded. In the slightly maroon dark amber liquid, carbonation could be seen rising to the top in linear streams through the glass. This "streaming" lasting till I was about half way complete, leaving rings on the glass for nearly every drink and leaving me with a feeling of accomplishment in a job well done.

As for smell, I must be out of it, or my beer is too cold as I don't really smell anything. There's a hint of some floral but as to what floral I couldn't pick out of a line up to save my life. It's not off putting in anyway, and after multiple sips, it's more inviting.

Normally I'm finicky about IPA's, sometimes they're too hoppy for me, other times not, and on few occasions I can't pick out the hops. But this, on this evening, this taste is just right, but not quite up into the skirt blowing regions of my taste buds. Nevertheless a very good mix of hops and sweetness. Like other reviewers, the hops hit me first, and I too feel it's well balanced. I can also see where others call it caramel'esque, as for myself - this makes sense when trying to put my finger on the sweetness.

Mouthfeel, I'm rating high, for the fact alluded to earlier the crispness of the beer stays with me throughout the pull. Some reviewers don't like that, but myself I like my beers cold, and that crispness enhances the coolness of the beer for me. I'm rarely a fan of creamy beers and this is not that. Grade A+

Overall, this is another good beer from Great Lakes. It's up my ally for IPA's to where it's one of my favorites of this style. In a paragraph above, I mention about this beer leaving me with a sense of accomplishment, well it did, but now I want to accomplish something else, so I'm going to get another one.

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours amber with an orange tint and brilliant clarity. Small off white head that fell to an oily film and ring. Effervescing and luminous. Left sticky lace in dabs and patches. Freshness date reads 8/29/13. Nose is sweet with soft citrus and floral. Ripe mango, peach a whiff of melon and some nice sweet grapefruit. Fruits intensify as it warms. Slightly nutty cereal grain malt. Dry and toasted with a drizzle of honey sweetness to back it up. There's a touch of alcohol on the nose. Taste is smooth. Soft ripe fruits meet light biscuit. The malt is good and full and gives great balance to all the ripe fruit. It has big sweetness that balances a substantial hop bitter that kicks in on the back palate and takes a minute before it realizes it's peak. A little biscuit and honey show up one last time for a dry finish of light pine, faint nutty flavor, light resin and some alcohol which adds to the dryness.

This is a second rating. Great Lakes has reputation in my house for making exciting and exceptional beers and this one, lived up to my expectations. It approached outstanding but the alcohol was too prominent on the palate for it's abv. The nose on this bottle was sweet and juicy, fragrant and fresh. My first rating was on 6/28 and the total score 3.38. If Great Lakes was not such a favorite of mine I would never have sought out the additional bottles to compare. So glad I did.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Classic IPA taste without being heavy despite it's 7.5% ABV. Excellent balance of hop bite and smoothness. Nothing showy...just really well made ale. My only complaint is that I don't want to stop drinking it. This can be not a good thing. Love this ale!

3.07/5  rDev -21.5%

Consumed June 11th, 2013 at Great Lakes Brewing Company, Cleveland OH.

Medium light golden hue. Nicely fine white head with very sticky sheeting down the sides of the glass.

Very mild aroma. Slight peppery note.

Flavor is low on malt; mainly bitter hops on the finish. A reasonable IPA but simple and mild in flavor.

Medium bodied, drying, parching on the finish.

Nothing special at all.

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A - Bright Orangey-yellow. Crystal clear, with less than a fingers worth of head that sunk very quick. Not as much lacing as your average IPA would leave.

S - This bad boy was a couple weeks past his enjoy by date, but still tons of spicy hoppy aromas. More piney than citrusy. Mildly floral.

T - Not much different than the smell. The piney hops are the backbone of this beer, supported by some sweetness on the end. Its not a malty sweetness, but rather fruity, and it even tastes like there might be some honey in there. I think they might have overdone it a bit in trying to balance this IPA. Its pretty sweet once you get past the initial hoppy kick. The bitter aftertaste isn't too far behind though. The balance just isn't quite there.

M - Medium bodied and Light to moderate carbonation. Pretty oily.

O - A great IPA. Not perfect, but worth re-visting every now and again.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Golden; hazy; effervescent; big frothy beige head

Aroma: Malty; slightly bready; grassy/citrusy hops

Taste: Juicy, malty on start; quick move to hops; grapefruit notes; finishes malty and slightly dry and crisp; great flavor profile all around

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

4.56/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer was a bit old. 2 weeks older than the 90 day enjoy by date of 5/27/13.

The beer pours out in an orange color with a big white head. There’s tons sticking to the glass.

The aroma has just huge sweet orange, citrus, and pine. There’s not really that hop dankness, but it’s so sweet and juicy. There’s also some caramel malt there too.

The flavor is of orange, grapefruit, citrus. Then a sweet bready malt backbone. The aftertaste takes a bit to hit you with a grapefruit and pine bitterness. There very earthy and piney on the end. The bitterness really does linger around for a while.

The mouthfeel is really good and medium and full with the carbonation.

If you didn’t tell me, I would think this was a Double IPA. I guess at 7.5%, it maybe could push towards that, but the maltiness I guess confuses me. This is a fantastic beer for the style. It’s hugely hoppy, but there’s also a great malty breadiness about it. I really love this beer for doing what it does despite being 2% ABV under other Double IPAs I can compare it to, like their Alchemy Hour.

3.84/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Disclaimer: bottled 12/24/12

poured into Duvel glass

appearance: slightly hazy golden yellow, bubbly white head, minor lacing

smell: piney herbal hoppiness, coriander and clove spices present, floral and fruity, some bittersweet malt

taste: still pretty hoppy despite being expired, dry bitter aftertaste with a prominent malt bill that coats your tongue with a resinous earthy blend. As the nose indicates, there's some sort of spice notes, either coriander or clove (maybe both), can't really put my finger on it. Probably not as pronounced when fresh I would guess. Still very enjoyable from start to finish, very smooth IPA.

mouthfeel: average carbonation, slightly thin body

overall: Will re-review when I get a chance, bottled 12/24/12, way too old for an IPA or any beer really, but I decided to drink it anyways, wasn't going to review it but it was still decently hoppy and enjoyable, so I went ahead. I've never had a bad beer from Great Lakes, even though they're from Ohio, and this was still a great IPA after 6 months, can't wait to get my hands on a fresh one.

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

Best by 06/02/13. Which is...two days from now.

A: Pours a clear deep amber. Big fluffy white head. Fades slowly, leaving really nice walls of thick spiderweb-like lacing. Great head retention too.

S: Definitely an EIPA. Little bit of citrus, little bit of pine. Mellow hops with a little bit of bread.

T: Hoppiness stands out a little bit more here. Definitely grapefruit up front. Decent amount of pine follows. Dry bready, crackery malt follows with hints of toffee. Little wave of bitterness in the finish with some more grapefruit and pine. Decently drying in the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied, dry.

O: Pretty standard EIPA. Mellow but notable hoppiness. Easy drinking, although a bit dry. Hoppiness isn't overpowering but there's barely any malt to back it up. Not bad.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Clear. Copper.
Smell: Grapefruit and light pine.
Taste: Bittersweet grapefruit and some alcohol aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Good carbonation.

Although I prefer and AIPA over and EIPA any day, this EIPA trumps a great many AIPAs that I've had. The grapefruit is there, but it's not intense; for this brew, that's a good thing. This has just the right about the bitterness, and you can definitely taste the alcoholic content, more so in the aftertaste. I would definitely get this again. This is what I want from an English IPA.

3.89/5  rDev -0.5%

I enjoyed this on IPA August 6, 2015 day poured chilled in a stange from the 12oz bottle

The color is deep amber with great clarity and slow moving pin sized bubbles with thick off white head with sticky lace and good retention. The smell has a semi-piney hop aroma with light caramel malt and biscuit odor with slight English yeast ester with mild spice in the nose. The feel is medium bitter with moderate carbonation and balanced sweetness level with slightly spicy texture and semi-dry finish.

The taste is mild up front with a yeast flavor and slight caramel sweetness with gentle pine and subtle citrus hop flavors with malt sweetness mid palate mix with moderate hop bitterness continuing into the finish with slight spicy profile as it finishes semi-dry. Overall a very good IPA-could use more hop flavor perhaps but for the style is solid with mild bitterness not overwhelming the contribution of yeast and malt a good balanced English Style IPA

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - poured from a 12oz bottle. Clear orange body beneath a foamy 2-finger white head that retains well and leaves good lacing. Moderate amount of tiny bubbles rising from the bottom

S - Not overly powerful in the nose but what is there smells nice. Citrus and pine hop presence with a toffee maltiness. Floral without being overly sweet in the nose

T&M - Moderate carbonation keeps mouthfeel smooth with just a touch of dryness. Citrus hops hit me first with a nice orange zest followed quickly by earthiness and some very light pine. A bit of toffee sweetness in the swallow. Mild hop bitterness lingers for quite a while but never becomes stale. I really enjoy the meld between citrus and pine hops with the earthy quality. Very drinkable

O - I enjoyed this very much and would certainly not hesitate to make this a daily beer. Great flavors and structure. Complex enough to be interesting all the way through the glass

3.91/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served in a pint. A bit old, best by 5/27/13.

A -Nice frothy off-white head with a transparent caramel hue. Impressive retention leaving great lacing.

S - Sweet toffee, hops and a slight malt presence.

T - Lots of malt and earthy tones hit me strongly. Light hop bitterness, although leaving much to be desired, although i can only suspect that the beer's age is the culprit. Toffee is apparent. Bitterness brings out the fruit, mostly on the finish: grapefruit, pineapple....perhaps some melon.

M - Medium body with fair carbonation. Not a typical IPA, although suited well for my taste.

O - I suspect this beer is amazing when fresh. For what I was able to get my hands on, I am glad to have five more.

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz, Best by 7/7/13
Riedel tulip

A: Clear orange color. Layer of bright white. Lacing sheeting. Good carbonation.

S: Bright orange. Citrus fruits and pine. Light malt.

T: Light bitterness on tip of the tongue. Lots of citrus notes: citrus and orange and lemon. Dry finish.

M: Light medium bodied.

4.21/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is a orange-straw color with two fingers of fluffy head. The nose is distinctly hoppy, but also spicy as if there might be some rye in this offering. The taste and finish match the nose perfectly - bitter and spicy. This is a very good IPA that does not easily fit in the East Coast /West Coast definitions of IPAs.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle.

Pours hazy gold with a quickly fading head of white. Barely a trace of lacing for the duration.

Aromatics are a mild blend of pine and malt. Quite subdued for an IPA.

Medium bodied with a crispish, lightly tacky mouthfeel.

Piney hops and a light malt backbone start the palate. A drying bitterness to balance follows through.

Finishes with fading pine and malt with a hint of cardboard.

This beer is pretty unremarkable and a bit faded.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.