Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPAGreat Lakes Commodore Perry IPA
3.88/5
Very Good
Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPAGreat Lakes Commodore Perry IPA

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2003

Ratings: 2,873 |  Reviews: 889

2.59/5  rDev -33.2%

Thanks to Chris for this one.

A: Pours light golden color with one finger of white foamy head on top, really dense. Nice foamy lacing on the sides. Lots of carbonation being released to the top.

S: Faint citric hops, a bit of grass and a floral component. LOTS of pale grains and a bit of caramel.

T: Faint grapefruit and lemon, some grainy malt, caramel, and a little bit of smoke, but not good smoke that you sometimes want in a beer. Finish is extremely dry.

M: Medium bodied with high carbonation, extremely dry.

O: This beer looked amazing, but thats where the great qualities ended for me. The smell was weak and the taste was just off. The first beer from Great Lakes that I have not liked.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Resplendent amber with a generous splash of tangerine juice. I had hoped to see a hop leaf haze, but the only thing disturbing the glassy body of the beer is a sparse collection of fine bubbles leading up to a great looking head of pastel orange-tinted ivory. The foam crown is impressively, resinously sticky so it's a mystery why the glass is only partially coated with lace. [Note: the glass is filthy with crusty lace in the end and easily earns the next highest score as a result.]

The beer has a tremendous aroma of pungent, juicy grapefruit, orange and pine. This is the nose that I expected on my brewpub pint last year and didn't get. I wish the brewery was a little more forthcoming with their ingredients because I'd love to know the Commodore's hop bill. I'm guessing one or more of the 4-Cs and either Simcoe or Amarillo.

This is a great IPA! I think the reason that I haven't been overly thrilled with the beer on my (admittedly few) visits to the Great Lakes brewpub has to do with the difference in mouthfeel between their tap beer and their bottled beer. It matters because the more lush, full-bodied beer from the bottle allows the flavor to stick around, to sink into the taste buds and to be appreciated in all its glory.

There's plenty of malt on hand, with a little too much caramel for my tastes. It isn't a problem, though, because a significant number of rip snortin' American hops ride to the rescue and pound the underlying sweetness into oblivion. I've had much, much hoppier beer, but there isn't a hophead alive who wouldn't be satisfied with this IPA.

As in my brewpub pint, the alcohol isn't masked as completely as it could be. If my memory is accurate at all, it's covered over to a much greater degree in this bottled version and isn't the least bit intrusive. Perhaps because the beer seems hoppier in the bottle? Sugar-crusted white grapefruit pith is especially prominent and is giving my tongue a solid thrashing.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to describe the mouthfeel as lush, but it's definitely creamy and is as smooth as possible given the buzzsaw nature of the hops. I knew that one of the best 'mouthfeel breweries' in the world, if not *the* best, wouldn't let me down. Again, I'm struck by the superiority of Great Lakes's bottled beer in comparison to what is available at the brewpub. That doesn't mean, of course, that I wouldn't be a fixture there if I still lived in Cleveland.

For as long as I've been a BA, I've lamented the lack of an IPA from my favorite brewery. Now that it has arrived, I have to say that I'm impressed. They've used a kick ass combination of hops and have added enough of them to satisfy this sometimes hard to please hophead. I would ask for a DIPA next, but Commodore Perry is most of the way there already.

From 4/10/10 notes. Had on tap at the Big Hunt in DC.

a - Pours an orange amber color with one inch of white head. Light carbonation evident.

t - Tastes follows the nose...pine and citrus hops leading the way. Also some smooth caramel malts.

m - Smooth and creamy. Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - I thought this was a pretty good IPA. It had enjoyable citrus hops and smooth caramel malts in the taste and I thought it was very drinkable. Would have again.

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

12oz brown bottle with a freshness date on the label.

Two fingers of head holds steady, perfect clarity with tiny bubbles racing to the top. Herbal, minty and a little citric in this hoppy nose ... a bit fruity with some esters and a smattering of toasted bread in the back. Smoothness has depth, thick-ish medium body. Bitter, yes and a bitterness that sticks. The malt is big enough to stand up to this somewhat brute-like hoppiness and the alcohol / fruitiness stakes a swing at the hops as well. While the bitterness and stodgy hop flavor prevails in the end it did have a tough battle to push through. Malt is an even wall of toasted sweetness and the alcohol is quite noticeable with fruity and peppery esters. Finishes bitter/sweet with more bitterness obviously.

A perfect example of "no coast" IPAs that don't get enough attention. Damn tasty and bold enough to rival both coasts.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

Trying the Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA...."Dont Give Up The Sip"! Great motto! The beer pours a clear straw yellow with thin white head that is lacing in my pint glass. The smell is has a apricot/citrus base with subtle spice. The taste is powered by hops....it starts very bitter, then a apricot shaunters in followed by more bitter. There is a tinge of metallic taste and the ABV is not fully masked. The mouthfeel is a full bodied ale with good carbonation. Overall it is a taste beer and highly recommended. This beer definitely is more English IPA than West Coast IPA.

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Purchased this one when I was up in Ohio, and had been waiting to try it. Poured a very nice, crystall clear light amber, with a big frothy white head of foam that quickly subsided and left behind a nice thin film across the top and a decent amount of side glass lace. Very nice carboantion profile could be seen in tons of bubbles streaming up towards the surface throughout the session.

The aroma was decentm albeit a touch lighter then I would noramlly like for an IPA. Veyr crisp and clean with hints of pine coming through along with some orange tones and a touch of light grass. Some grain in there as well. The feel was very light bodied and highly carbonated with a very crisp clean feeling. Light flavors again but they seemd to work well together. Light floral hops mixed with earthy light cereal grains gave a very nice overall light bodied ale. Not too shabby. Highly drinkable, this was an instant session ale for sure.

Overall not bad, a very good IPA, though more of a pale ale to me, but still very good. I could easily see myself throwing down multiple bottles of this with ease. Really a good call and something everyone should try.

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%

I enjoyed this on IPA August 6, 2015 day poured chilled in a stange from the 12oz bottle

The color is deep amber with great clarity and slow moving pin sized bubbles with thick off white head with sticky lace and good retention. The smell has a semi-piney hop aroma with light caramel malt and biscuit odor with slight English yeast ester with mild spice in the nose. The feel is medium bitter with moderate carbonation and balanced sweetness level with slightly spicy texture and semi-dry finish.

The taste is mild up front with a yeast flavor and slight caramel sweetness with gentle pine and subtle citrus hop flavors with malt sweetness mid palate mix with moderate hop bitterness continuing into the finish with slight spicy profile as it finishes semi-dry. Overall a very good IPA-could use more hop flavor perhaps but for the style is solid with mild bitterness not overwhelming the contribution of yeast and malt a good balanced English Style IPA

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Matt for sending this one my way.

A: The pour is a slightly hazed golden orange color with a finger of white head and some sticky lacing.

S: A sharp citric note to the nose is noticeable immediately. There's a touch of alcohol along with some nice pine and quite a lot of floral hops too. The more I smell it, the more grapefruit juice I get out of it.

T: Candied grapefruit along with just a touch of pine. Some other sweet citrus notes to go along with a nice breadiness. Some mild caramel and toffee. A nice floral hop flavor that provides a bit of a perfumey character.

M: Medium in body with a moderate carbonation that fills the mouth nicely.

D: One of the better English style IPAs that I have come across.

3.76/5  rDev -3.1%

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle shared by HopasaurusRex, thanks for the opportunity!
Pours a deep amber color that borders on copper with a smallish white head that shows moderate retention and lace. Smells of earthy, citrus and piney hops with a solid caramel and bread malt backbone. The taste holds no surprises that the nose couldn't ferret out. Caramel and bread assaulted by earth pine and citrus. I was a bit surprised to see this listed as an English style IPA as I saw lots of American in there. Medium body and carbonation level with a sweet honey like mouthfeel. Great IPA, I wish it were a bit easier to get in my corner of the planet.

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

What, no love for big brother Matthew and his forcing open of Japan? I say boo, sir! Anyway, this younger sibling pours a clear light amber topped by a fairly short-lived cream foam. The nose comprises mild pine, flowers, light greens, and subdued toffee. The taste ups the ante with the flowers and pine, adds a decent amount of orange peel, and tightens the leash around the neck of the toffee. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry, sticky finish. Overall, a pretty good EIPA, but it's way too one-sided for my liking, with the hops coming off as a tad harsh.

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a bright yellow with a big mountain of soft, white head that has great retention. The nose has a sweet, bready, malty aroma with some faint hops in the background. The flavor has a big malty backbone that is bready and a little sweet, almost birthday cake like. The hop character is mildly citrusy, but big and bitter, and it dominates the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with just the right amount of carbonation.

This is a nice IPA. I like the big malty backbone. The hops are solid and are a nice match to the malts. This is well balanced, smooth, and very drinkable.

3.39/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The appearance was a gentle light golden amber to orange color with a one finger white foamy head that dies within less than about forty seconds. There’s a good amount of lacing kinda going all over the place not forming any real speckled or spider web or even rings. Honestly, it looks kinda sloppy. The smell had a decent amount of English malts mainly just coming in front just a tad of some bitter piney hops. The taste was balanced more between the malts and hops, so I’d say it was a good bittersweetness. On the palate, it sat about a medium on the body with a decent sessionable quality about it. The carbonation seemed appropriate for the style and for me. Overall, I say this was a good EIPA worthy of having again.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Wow, I never thought the day would come where I could pick up a sixer of a Great Lakes IPA right in the Ohio Valley, recently the microbrews have come into the Steubenville/Wintersville OH areas in specifically the two Kroger grocery stores. With Great Lakes products came Erie Brewing, Magic Hat, Atwater, and more. I'm happy to see this happening here's the IPA and the bottle states 7.5% abv when I visited the brewery back in 04 it was listed at 8%. Appearance has a light bronze copper appearance even a pale peach lighter in color than the Burning River Pale, large off white creamy textured head forms thick and dwindles slow clinging to the edges of the pint leaving even rings of lace with each sip. Aromatics contains heavy grapefruit peel action with a sugary coating much sweeter smelling than actual grapefruit, the malts used here are mildly toasted with somewhat of a spicy rye note even though I now none of that was utilized here. Flavors a bitey somewhat acidic wave of high alpha hops grapefruit peels, pine, and grassy components all dive onto the palate with some initial sweetness quickly gets wiped away. Not as diverse and well balanced as some standard IPAs but at 7.5 this one is on the border of a DIPA definitely some assertive alcohol noted in the taste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light slippery textured hop oils gliding on the palate definitely sticks to the tongue and carbonation feels natural and carris the brew well pretty moderate. Drinkability is great I could handle a few of these but really I've been enjoying one out of the sixer at a time, spreading them out has been an enjoyable experience between finishing nursing school this week and catching up on cutting the grass this brew is substantial enough to fill my hophead cravings. I believe in my last review on tap I yearned for this beer to be bottled, well I guess I owe a thank you to the folks at Great Lakes, goo job guys.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.88 out of 5 with 2,873 ratings