Great Lakes Christmas Ale | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Christmas AleGreat Lakes Christmas Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 11-16-2002

Ratings: 3,074 |  Reviews: 880

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks to amietaj1 for the extra in a trade!!

Presentation: Poured from 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: This beer pours about a 1/2 finger of head, large bubbles resting on top. There is a lot of lacing on the glass, but the head retention is average at best and dissipates pretty quickly. The beer is a beautiful auburn color, deep red and light brown.

S: Smells like honey, a lightly roasted caramel malt, and reminds me in some ways of barleywine. I like it a LOT. There is no hint of cinnamon or other spices as the label suggests.

T: This beer tastes amazing. It doesn't really remind me of a winter warmer but there are tastes of sweet orange blossom honey, some type of spices which are unidentifiable but not cinnamon as suggested by the label, a well balanced sourness competing with the honey sweetness, and even a mild smooth hop presence. This beer is superbly balanced.

M: A little under carbonated and thin it makes up for it slightly in the oiliness from the hops.

D: I could drink this all night and not be upset about it. The sourness might get to me after 3 or 4, but it's really solid in this category.

My second Great Lakes beer I am noticing a profile among their beers. I'm really liking them. This is probably my favorite winter warmer that I've had by far, but doesn't remind me much of the others I've had so take that with some caution. Highly recommended for beer drinkers and non-drinkers alike! This beer is superb in almost all respects.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Strong smells of spice are present as soon as I popped the cap off the bottle.

Poured a brilliant amber in color that doesn't leave much head.

Smells of ginger and allspice with some fruity esters.

Full bodied and smooth. The spice hits on the tip and back of my tongue while the ale smothers my tastebuds. Really a tasty winter warmer. Loads of fruity esters and a nice noble hop note. Bits of apple and pear come through. There is plenty of biscuity malt character here. You almost need a knife to cut through it.

The mouthfeel and body really make this winter warmer. the 7.5% alcohol is very well hidden. This drinks like a meal and I could get used to it.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Great Lakes Christmas Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.