Great Lakes Christmas Ale | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Christmas AleGreat Lakes Christmas Ale

1.3/5  rDev -66.8%

1.5/5  rDev -61.6%

1.5/5  rDev -61.6%

1.74/5  rDev -55.5%

This beer is so hyped up that it drives me nuts! I had this beer on tap with some cinnamon shit on the rim and that was the only good thing about it! The taste was absolutley awful! It has a super bitterness to it and maybe im bias, but im just not an ale fan....ILL STICK TO LAGERS!

1.75/5  rDev -55.2%

1.75/5  rDev -55.2%

1.76/5  rDev -55%

The pour gives maybe a half inch of loose head over a coppery body. The head dissipates fairly quickly with just a little lacing persisting.

The smell is where I knew this wasn't going to meet my expectations. Where I was hoping for gingerbread and malts I got sweetness and hops. Lots of hops. If there were spices there they're completely drowned out by the hops.

Taste is much the same as the smell, though there are some winter spices evident in very small quantities. Some alcohol is present as well. Mostly, though, there are those hops. If I'd wanted hops I'd have bought an IPA or APA. The bitterness starts fairly gently but increases as I drink more of it. Now, 45 minutes later, I've still got some of that damned bitterness on my tongue.

The mouthfeel was rather thin with prickly carbonation, but not bad.

The experience of drinking this was akin to ordering a hamburger and biting into a veggie burger. It might be fine in its own right but it wasn't what I was expecting at all and it was nothing like I'd expect from the description of the style.

1.84/5  rDev -52.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This is not a bad craft brew at all, despite my lackluster numbers. The color is beautiful, and frost-like lacing, when poured correctly, stays in the glass. However, I find the blend of spices to be too sour and bitter in a bad way, and the thin mouthfeel Great Lakes Beers typically have doesn't augment the flavors needing some heft. The highher alcohol content is also immediately obvious, making the beer taste like alcohol.
However, as is typical for Great Lakes, first-class ingredients are used and the flavors that make me uncomfortable are often enjoyed by others.

1.9/5  rDev -51.4%

I guess I am going to have to give up.

I just don't like Christmas Ales. But this is the spiciest, & least drinkable, of the bunch.

This is the third one I've tried to put down, & I'm not going to be able to finish it. For me spices like this belong in a pie, cake, or salad, not in my liquid libations.

Nothing personal. I just can't handle it.

1.93/5  rDev -50.6%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased from Party Source, poured into a pint. 1/22/08 best before date.

A: Pours a deep copper that is probably clearer than any other beers I've seen. Very small amount of very small bubbles lazily stroll to the top. average pour produced only 1/2 finger of off white head and didn't last very long.

S: Spicy cinnamon(like Big Red) is the first thing that hit me. Brown sugar, clove, nutmeg, and ginger bread also make an appearance. Not getting anything else but spices. Not terrible but not very complex, either.

T/M: Dominated by hot cinnamon and a cough syrup taste. Some clove and ginger try to make there way through but just don't manage. I don't even want to finish this. Body is medium heavy and carbonation is low.

D: Didn't drink much at all. Winter Warmer isn't my favorite style but I don't dislike it by any means... this one just didn't do it. It's very unfortunate, too, since GLBC is one of my favorite breweries.

1.94/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

1.99/5  rDev -49.1%

2.08/5  rDev -46.8%

Very bitter. Doesn't leave a nice after taste either. Friends and family like it but I'm not a fan. Not a fan of the spice.

Great Lakes Christmas Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.