Great Lakes Christmas Ale | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Christmas AleGreat Lakes Christmas Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 11-16-2002

Reviews: 858 | Ratings: 3,001
3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass a clear copper with a small head and very little lace

Ginger and cinnamon is very prevalent in the nose. Cannot pick up any hops. Only the hint of sweet bread.

The flavor is ginger and cinnamon (and allspice?). Very sweet upfront and only a little bitter in the back. Sweet honey in the aftertaste.

Smooth. Oily.

I could only drink a couple of these. The "holiday" spice is a bit overwhelming.

4.24/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

One of the several holiday beers I anticipate every year. Now I am documenting (for myself at least) justu why.

Dull copper colored with lazy fizz and a weak head. I would penalize this more if this wasn't consistent, and other holiday brews didn't look that way. Makes it look more potent. Grrr baby.

Whoa, there it is - that spiciness I look for in a winter warmer! Nutmeg, alcohol, gingerbread man, cinnamon... This makes me feel like I'm bouts to be getting warmed up this winter evening.

The taste follows suit, keeping the spice, lending some mild honey stickiness and more alcohol for some kick. Not much hop here, but it's a little too crowded for our favorite herb. The spices and alcohol offset the sweetness very nicely.

It's heavy and sweet like I like, and well-balanced as I've mentioned. I also said I didn't mind the flatness, but I would have enjoyed this if it had a little pop to it. It's like a prized beer that has sat in a growler too long, but I just opened the bottle.

An always welcome way to keep the cold and slush from becoming a downer, I will always cherish my GLCA. Because of the heaviness, alcohol, and spices, they force moderation, but that's the nature of this Great beast.

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a dark copper colored with a thick, foamy, white head that dissolves slowly, with some remaining the entire time. Leaves little lacing.

Pleasantly light aroma steeped in ginger & honey with hints of floral hops rounding it out. Light spice notes. Not picking out much malts.

Spicy ginger with cinnamon and a nice hop bitterness on the finish with a light malt foundation. Very nicely spiced.

Solid mouthfeel in this one. Medium bodied with a refreshing effervescence.

Overall, one of the lighter, more flavorful Christmas brews that I've had.

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a bottle into a seidel.

A: Frothy, orange/mid-brown hazy ale with a nice persistent head. Microbubbles in the head and slightly off white.

S: Very sweet, flavourful nose with powerful scents of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and a little maltiness. Very very delectable. Probably one of the best scents I've ever taken into my nose.

T: Like a toned down version of the scent. Strong ginger and cinnamon, but not much else. Beer is still a month and a half away from its expiration date, so I don't think its a freshness issue. Its still pretty tasty though. A delicious combination of ingredients with a hint of lost potential.

M: Smooth and full of micro-carbonation. No alcohol. Very pleasant after-taste.

D: Great beer to enjoy at any time of day, 7.5% abv be damned. I could have 2-3 in a row but the ABV and the simplicity of the flavours keeps it at that. Good but not great

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%

Very Clear, rich dark copperish red color. Looks like big red in a glass. Thick 1/2" head at pour, with a 1/4" head remaining throughout out most of the glass. Very Spicey aroma, cinnamon, glove, ginger. As beer warms, aroma becomes more like a ginger bread. Same spices found in flavor, relatively consistent from beginning to end, a little sweet. Slight dry finish. Very drinkable christmas ale. Easy, slightly crisp. Probably my top seasonal from Great Lakes.

App- Pours deep reddish amber with one finger of off white head that slowly clings to the glass and eventually fades to a lingering 1/4" sudsy foam.

Aroma- Rich maltiness (carmel and brown sugar) with hints of ginger, cinnamon, and a kiss of honey sweetness. Very inviting but not overwhelmingly spicy. Not much for hops in the nose.

Flavor- Caramel maltiness and honey sweetness opens up to a nice balancing ginger/spicy flavor- gives way to a fairly well balanced beer b/w malty/honey sweetness, hop bitterness, and spices. Caramel malt and candy-like sticky sweetness take center stage, though the spice and earthy hops help keep it from being overwhelmingly sweet. Nice lingering maltiness.

Mouth- Moderate carbonation, big malty flavor makes for medium to full bodied beer but relatively (and deceivingly) refreshing/drinkable for ABV. One of my favorite winter warmers! This one will catch up with you! Drink it fresh to get the full experience, or, if you think its too spicy let it mellow for a while and the flavors will round out!

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to pint glass.

A: Clear copper, white 3/4 in. head.
S: Honey, Chocolate, Ginger
T: I taste the honey upfront and throughout the taste. Some other spices like ginger and clove peek through as well. Caramel from the malt, as well as a strong ale character i get with many stouts and porters.
M: Medium.
O: Nice spiced beer. Good with a Christmas turkey and stuffings.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

A - brilliant bright copper. Off white head that quickly falls in to the glass. Lacing is minimal.
S - sweet malt and honey. Toffe/caramel smells. Slight spice in there as well. Maybe some floral hop notes.
T - Toasted malt. Caramel malt sweetness. Ginger is in there but not overpowering. Good malty flavor.
M - medium
D - Very drinkable. Alc is well hidden. Excellent copper ale. Reminds me of Otter Creek copper...only much better.

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Golden amber pour into my pint glass with a fairly small fizzy light tan head.

S - Honey, spice, and everything nice

T - Spicey clove, ginger, cinnamon, orange and honey with a bitter finish

M - Moderate carbonation and body

D - Very good holiday warmer. Still good in July. Definitely warms the throat. Solid release from Great Lakes.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks to amietaj1 for the extra in a trade!!

Presentation: Poured from 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: This beer pours about a 1/2 finger of head, large bubbles resting on top. There is a lot of lacing on the glass, but the head retention is average at best and dissipates pretty quickly. The beer is a beautiful auburn color, deep red and light brown.

S: Smells like honey, a lightly roasted caramel malt, and reminds me in some ways of barleywine. I like it a LOT. There is no hint of cinnamon or other spices as the label suggests.

T: This beer tastes amazing. It doesn't really remind me of a winter warmer but there are tastes of sweet orange blossom honey, some type of spices which are unidentifiable but not cinnamon as suggested by the label, a well balanced sourness competing with the honey sweetness, and even a mild smooth hop presence. This beer is superbly balanced.

M: A little under carbonated and thin it makes up for it slightly in the oiliness from the hops.

D: I could drink this all night and not be upset about it. The sourness might get to me after 3 or 4, but it's really solid in this category.

My second Great Lakes beer I am noticing a profile among their beers. I'm really liking them. This is probably my favorite winter warmer that I've had by far, but doesn't remind me much of the others I've had so take that with some caution. Highly recommended for beer drinkers and non-drinkers alike! This beer is superb in almost all respects.

4.8/5  rDev +22.8%

On tap and quaffed at Bado's in the Iron City on boxing day. I have had this beer a number of times before, and it has always been at the top of my christmas ale list. The pints tonight absolutely knocked my socks off as well as knocked me on my a--. Very clean lines at this here establishment and the keg seemed very fresh as well so ratings are given as such. Apearance absolutley beautiful reddish mahagony color with good billowy head and eferesence. wonderful notes of the usual spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, etc but this beer was extremely well balanced with great harmony of flavors- excellent body and high, high drinkability. Great Lakes has always been one of the top notch midwestern brewers; these pints confirmed their rep in my mind and palate as well as reiniforced my view of this beer as the creme of their rotation. Drink it while you can and happy holidays.

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Clear amber color with a finger head that held for some time finally dissipating into a thin ring.

S: Getting some spice, ginger and honey.

T: Taste is an interesting blend that I can't nail down. Certainly ginger and honey, but something else. Maybe clove. Bit of a metallic after taste.

M: Medium and smooth.

D: Not sure what it is, but not finding it terribly drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +10%

Aroma is cinnamon and ginger.

Pours one finger white head that dissipates quickly. Very little lacing Light amber color. Very clear.

Cinnamon and ginger in really good balance. Bready malts. Light caramel finish. Bitterness is medium high. No hop character.

Mouthfeel is low and finishes dry. Alcohol present but not overwhelming.

Truly a beer greater than the some of its parts. Dryness from honey makes this dangerously drinkable. All elements of the beer are very well balanced.

4.14/5  rDev +5.9%

Served On Tap at the Black Squirrel in Adams Morgan DC.

A: A Nice orange red glow with a head that dissipates quickly to no existence at all. A look of really well aged and expensive bourbon.

S: Now here is the stinker, not that it smell that bad but its not as powerful as most Christmas Ales. There is cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, breaded malt, and wild cherry. It could be that for a badly washed glass deadened the smells. Really good powerwashers are needed like in upscale beer joints.

T: Nutmeg ripe cherry pumpkin spice honey light cinnamon tast, subtle mid-western hops, and a light bready backbone. Subtle sweetness that entices the palate to have another!

M: Nice lingering medium carbonation that is passionate between the gums. I like how it lingers on the palate and entices the tongue.

O: A real winner in terms of a winter Christmas ale. I rank it third only behind the Mad Elf and Fireside Chat. Sorry Anderson Valley Winter Solstice.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

a- golden amber color. White head when poured into a pint glass. Decent retention.

s- not a lot to speak of. weaker spices overall, maybe with a slight maltiness.

t- this beer shines in the catagory that matters. It tastes awesome. Sweet, heavier malty taste. hint of honey, with an overall spicey note. nutmeg, cinnimon, ginger, maybe even some coriander.

m- medium to heavy body. overall smooth, with a slight hoppy ending

d- lovely christmas beer. So easy to drink, even with the 7.5 abv. If I could find it in PA, i would buy cases upon cases of this stuff. I would drink it every day with every meal.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

Appearance: Bright and clear amber color with a foamy cream colored head, lots of visible carbonation

Smell: Bready, orange citrus hop, spices, feint malt flavor

Taste: Nice hop flavor, feint malt, bread, and nutmeg and cinnamon spices

Mouth Feel: Nice bite, medium bodied, dry

Overall: good beer, more hoppy than malty but it does have a good balance of flavors. Great Christmas beer.

4.41/5  rDev +12.8%

Found a loner at Capone's. Wanted to give it a whirl since I'm interested in finding a winter warmer I actually like. Poured this one into a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear amber color. Small tan head that recedes quickly but leaves some spotty lacing. This isn't as dark as other "winter warmers" I've tried which, as far as I'm concerned, is a good start.

Smell: Smells like Christmas to be honest. Ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cherry, sweet bready malts. This is the kind of thing I hoped for out of other winter brews.

Taste: Spicy. Strong notes of ginger and cinnamon. It's sweet as well. Some cherry, raisin, nutmeg. Some hop bitterness. Solid malt backbone without being too heavy. Not much hop presence to speak of other than the bitterness. Real solid.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Spiciness lingers on the tongue. Carbonation adds a tingling sensation. Just a slight alcohol warmth as it goes down, but that could just be lingering spice in the back of my throat...it's that faint.

Drinkability: I only had one of these but I wish I had many more. It doesn't matter to me that it's after christmas, this was a delicious beer whose only limitation might be the abundance of spice.

Glad I got to try this one. I'm not sure much of it made it to PA, hopefully we get plenty for next year that I can drink it up over the holidays.

3.27/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Pours a honey like color with a half finger head that completely disappears after about a minute. Completely nonplussed.

S: Smells like a spice rack winter warmer; cinnamon, ginger, honey, and nutmeg are all prevalent.

T: Cloyingly sweet with a slight spiciness to it as well. As this beer warms a whiskey-esque taste comes into play as well, however, nothing remarkable as well.

M: Medium bodied with active carbonation; gets syrupy and flat after it warms.

O: Worth a try but falls short on what I normally expect from great lakes.

4.37/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a light amber color with a thin head that leaves nice lacing all around.

Scent is of sweet, biscuity malts, and spices like nutmeg and ginger.

The taste really stands out in this one. There's lightly sweet malts with some fruity notes, light hop flavor, spiciness is not overwhelming at all. The cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger are all well balanced within the sweetness of the malt, and the ever so slightly bitter hops. The finish is lightly sweet, dry and spicy. The abv. is nicely hidden in the mix of malty spiceness. The taste is exceptional.

Mouthfeel is smooth, light to medium bodied with the perfect amount of light carbination for this beer.

Drinkability is good. This is a beer that tastes soo good the abv is dangerous. I could easily put several away without realizing that fact until it's cab callin time.

Nice, nice beer from GLB. I will buy it again before they are gone till next year.

3.91/5  rDev 0%

Had this on tap at a bar in Elkhart Indiana called the Chubby Trout. My wife and I split a pitcher of this for $5.50.

Poured the draft into a tulip glass. The beer is a dark copper color.

Smells of subtle fruit and spice. Can definetely tell its a Christmas beer.

As it warms, the spices really begin to show. I noticed large amounts of cinnamon and corriander the warmer it got. At 7.5% ABV, it hits you pretty quick.

My wife who is not normally a beer drinker, really enjoyed this the more she drank of it. It was nice to sit in front of the window and watch the snow fall, while sipping this winter warmer. I havent been too dissapointed with many Great Lakes brews, and this one is no different. Very good Christmas Beer.

2.77/5  rDev -29.2%

Celebrating the birth of my 1st nephew, Mattéo Raphael, who was born today on Dec. 4, 2006.

Transparent, beautiful golden amber bottom with a thin and rapidly diminishing foam web of sticky film. Minimial lacing on top and on the edges of the glass.

Sweet, layered honey smell with malts and fruits. Hints of ginger and other spices, biscuity, with Christmas cookie-like notes. Nice nose.

Upfront biscuit/bread in flavor profile with a surprisingly good deal of hop bitterness. Burnt caramel. Sweet, honey stickiness. Spice profile is nowhere near as pronounced as I would've hoped. Lingering fruitiness.

Not quite sure how I feel about this one. Burnt and bitter, with only a tiny hint of sweetness or spiciness. Overall product is not so delightful, nor drinkable. Guess I'll have to celebrate this special season and day with something else.

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%

Fairly strong flavors of nutmeg and cinnamon in this brew. Small, quickly disapating, lacy head over a crimson body make this a bold beer in the glass. The body displays a malty base for the spiced flavor, which finishes with a slightly bitter, but well balanced hop edge. Cannot drink many of these before the spices just take over. A solid Christmas Alle - slightly above average for the style, but not one I wold squirrel away to drink throughout the year. Perfect for your tree trimming party. Watch out - I was alos surprised to learn the alcohol content on this one.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Got this from Sephiroth in a trade. Thanks for the opportunity.

A: pours a light copper color with a small off-white head.

S: cinnamon, honey, spices, and alcohol.

T: tastes like Christmas. Sweet cinnamon, honey and ginger, along with other spices. This is a desert beer. Has a lot in common with a pumpkin ale.

M: medium bodied. The spices slightly sting the tongue. Really nice mouthfeel.

D: considering how sweet this beer is, I’d say it still goes down rather smooth. I wouldn’t drink more than 2 or three of these though.

4.11/5  rDev +5.1%

12 oz into a New Belgium globe.

A - Brilliantly clear bright red with a moderately large, white head. Very pretty.

S - Mulling spices, citrus zest & gingerbread cookie-like sweetness.

T - Malt-forward with restrained spicing; cinnamon & ginger apparent but not overdone or hot. Honey and spices give the impression of a ginger snap with icing. No major hop components.

M - Heavy body with brisk carbonation that helps cleanse the otherwise sweet palate.

O - A sweet, cookie-like interpretation of a holiday ale.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz brown bottle with the enjoy by date clearly printed on the label. Served in an imperial pint.

Pours a medium copper with golden highlights and about one finger of off-white head. Clarity is sparkling clear and the carbonation is lively. The head settles quickly leaving little lacing. Overall appearance is inviting. The nose is biscuity malts with hints of honey and spices. Taste is semi-sweet maltiness with definite gingerbread and cinnamon cookie similarities. Spicy goodness. Mouthfeel is medium+ bodied with a coarse texture and tons of carbonation. Finish is lightly chalky.

This is a full-on spicy winter warmer. The taste is very reminiscent of holiday goodies. All of the ingredients are in balance and blend very well together. This is probably the best winter warmer that I have tried thus far. The spices and the 7.5% abv will certainly warm you on a cold winter night.

Great Lakes Christmas Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.