Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Blackout Stout | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Blackout StoutBlackout Stout

4.26/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.02/5  rDev -28.1%

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My hatas are legion! I was JUST taken to task for NOT drinking a beer from a CAN, but GLBC does not CAN their beers (yet), as far as I know & I am trying to gird myself for today's eclipse. I am CANvinced that this is the beginning of the CANpocalypse & so I am running through my inventory as quickly as possible.

From the bottle (2016 vintage): "Bold and dark as a power-less metropolis, our Russian Imperial Stout commemorates the infamous 2003 blackout that briefly left some 55 million people utterly unplugged."

Baby, I am plugging in with this one! I Pop!ped the cap & began a gentle pour so as not to rouse the slumbering beasts within. Once properly decanted, I performed a vigorous in-glass swirl to raise two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with great retention. Color was ebony Black (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration, but I could sense Cthulhu & The Kraken's presence in there. Nose smelled like something freshly-baked, like brownies or chocolate chip cookies with black coffee to wash them down. Perfect! Mouthfeel was medium, surprisingly light for this style. Once in my mouth, the beasties began to wrap their tentacles around my tongue & squeeze. OMFG. The Kraken wedged himself in my throat to the point that I could no longer breathe! Where is my inhaler? Hell, where is my flamethrower?!? The taste was liquid dark chocolate, more brownies than chocolate chip cookies, but still with black coffee & a Macanudo Maduro cigar thrown in for good measure. Oh, man, those nights on the SDTS fantail with Mike & Kevin after mooring ,,, We would get cups of coffee & I would break out my stash of cigars & we would sit on the windlass & look up at the highly visible stars. It was almost as good as having alcohol. I miss being underway. If only every beer could evoke such memories ... Finish was dry, more smoky than chocolaty & lingering. Man, I really felt like I had just smoked a stogie. Gad, I miss it, but with adult-onset asthma, I can no longer indulge (except on VERY rare, exceptional occasions of which my doctor knows NOTHING about). One down.

From the bottle (2003): "WHO NEEDS THE POWER GRID? Not us, when we've got the full moon, bright stars, good friends and Blackout Stout, an imperial stout with a hearty malt body and bold hop flavor."

Oh, man, my cellar is simply burping forth all sorts of long-forgotten goodies! My problem was accumulating beer, but then I was traveling & drinking away from home & thus the backlog began. People are disappointed (or rejoicing) by my lack of personal appearances, but the Internet is blowing up as I have become a homebody to drink all of this beer.

I had been listening to The Scorpions' "Blackout", but now I have gone to Squeeze's "Black Coffee In Bed".

I Pop!ped the cap & if you think that my earlier pour was gentle, this was spoon-fed! I finally got enough of it into a glass to be able to conduct a vigorous swirl, raising over two fingers of dense, foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head with great retention. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), but this time, I was ready for the wee beasties! The Kraken & Cthulhu were not going to catch me unawares. Mouthfeel was simply viscous. I have seen motor oil that was thinner than this concoction! Taste was medicinal, like the time that I sampled my grandparents' Geritol. Think dried dark fruits, treacle, anise, bittersweet chocolate chips & you will be closing in on it. Phew! It was a very different drink than the modern version. F**ksake. it was the sort of Blackout-inducing stuff that I live for. Finish was extremely dry with the remaining yeast having had ample opportunity to ferment the sugars. Time to go stare at the Sun.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.29/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.74/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 5/06/17. So past date. Wasn't meant to age well, my bad. Kind of tastes like Coca Kola when you were a kid. Not a prize in the beer cellar but kind of cool to have around when the mood hits. Good adult cartoony break between serious beers . Probably wont buy a again.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

3.84/5  rDev -8.6%

4.49/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.79/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good hearty stout, one of better ones

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Blackout Stout from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.2 out of 5 with 3,520 ratings