Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Blackout Stout | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Blackout StoutBlackout Stout

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by GreatPondBrewer on 11-30-2003

Ratings: 3,520 |  Reviews: 1,222

3.95/5  rDev -6%

I'm just going to start off by saying this is like a cross between a heavier Edmund Fitzgerald and a weaker Founders Breakfast Stout. The smell and taste are very similar between those two beers for me. Coffee on the nose, and I get more coffee and chocolate in the taste. Black in color that pours a dark tan head that dissipates quickly. Has a medium body and I get some bitterness about this which seems to come from cocoa. My general opinion is that this is okay. I was expecting more heaviness, and I don't think the taste separates itself enough from Edmund Fitzgerald for me to really care much for it. Founders Breakfast Stout is very similar to this beer but executed better in every way.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

3.4/5  rDev -19%

I bought a 4 pack today. A little disappointed in that it tasted a little "thin" to my palate. However, to be fair, I drank this after having had a Sierra Nevada Narwhal imperial stout.
This stout is a little more complex than a contract-brewed Guinness Extra, and has a little more burnt coffee taste. Otherwise, I would not rank this with the better imperial stouts I have tasted (i.e. Ten Fidy, or Narwhal, or Rasputin RIS or Bell's Expedition [IMO the best stout you can buy]). It is a decent brew, and priced reasonably, albeit in the middle of the pack. This would be a good "beginners" imperial stout...on the thin side, and not overwhelming. It can't touch the Bell's for complexity, however. That is good or bad depending upon ones tastes, obviously.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.16/5  rDev -1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

I bought this beer for my friends on thanksgiving. I knew it was going to be a night of good food and needed a good beer. I bought it on a hunch that, a 9% abv stout would be noticed. A malty,creamy character I want from a stout, with the perfect amount of hops to accompany the flavour of the alcohol until the next drink. Great lakes is good. Sharing it with friends is great.

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

re-review 12oz bottle 2013 release consumed 11/27/13. Into a Haw River Teku glass

Pours a pitch black with a big creamy head. Extremely attractive pour..especially for a stout. The smell is huge on chocolately, stouty goodness. Taste is super creamy and rich with a ton of chocolate notes as well as roasted malts. Full bodied for sure while not being viscous. A treat to drink.

Overall a superb non BA stout. Definitely prefer this one fresh as the flavors are intense and with no bourbon character it doesnt need to mellow out. Love it.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Blackout Stout from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.2 out of 5 with 3,520 ratings