Great Lakes Blackout Stout | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Blackout StoutGreat Lakes Blackout Stout

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

3.43/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured into a snifter best by bottle date 4/20/12
review is from notes 1/29/12

A- Blackout is a good name for this beer. A rich black color as dark as a blackout with a finger of khaki head leaving nice lacing and alochol legs.

S- Dark chocolate, slight coffee, roasted malt, typical smell for a stout.

T- Nice bitterness at the front of the tongue. More of a roasted malt taste then I was expecting. Not much in the way of chocolate or coffee in the flavor. Lighter in body then what I was expecting as well. Also picking up some alcohol.

M- Lighter bodied then most Imperials, and higher carbonation as well.

O- This beer is descent but isnt one of my favorites by any means. I like the bitterness and the nose is nice but the taste is lacking in flavor. It was somewhat watery for me, I like big bold stouts and this isnt one of them.

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Typical Imperial Stout; Nice brown to off-white 1 inch head. Served in a 12 oz. Snifter.

S - Notable malt and dark coffee. Alcohol apparent but not overbearing.

T - Big Malt and Chocolate flavors turn to coffee grounds and smokiness. Somewhat hop character in the middle.

M - Light-to-medium carbonation.

O - Easily one of my favorite Imperials. All the expected flavors from a strong stout came through without having to be a coffee or chocolate stout. One to try for sure!!!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours black. Nice, dense white head. Clear lacings to the finish.

Big roasty aroma.

Roasted coffee up front. Relaxes a bit to let through some nice dark fruit flavours. Finish is pleasantly bittersweet.

Above-average carbonation for the style, but didn't take away from the brew at all. Overall a tasty offering.

3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

Thanks to mabma67 for this!

A: pours pitch black into my Bruery snifter. No head and no retention.

S: not much of an aroma when I smell. Only a faint, very faint, coffee smell. So far my hopes aren't very high for this beer.

T: here's what I was hoping for. Very high carbonation so every time I take a sip the bubbles tickle my tongue. The coffee flavor is more pronounced. It's another smooth RIS.

MF: very thick mouthfeel as the aftertaste of coffee sticks around forcing me to lick more of the flavor off of my lips.

O: I wasn't too intrigued after the below par appearance and smell but the rest brought me back on board and I really enjoyed it. The 4 pack carrier I received with the trade tells me for freshest taste enjoy by this date so I'm curious to see how the other 3 will hold up in my cellar.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: black in color with a short 1/4" head that breaks apart quickly.

Smell: huge roasted malt, bitter chocolate, a hint of cofee, and alcohol create a great aroma for the nose.

Taste: big malt profile. Loads of roasted flavors, bitter dark chocolate, coffee, prunes, and a hearty bitterness. Alcohol is definitely noticeable but fits into the flavor profile nicely.

Mouthfeel: heavy in body. Smooth at the start, smooth and velvety at the finish. Some dryness arrives late. Aftertaste is very long as the flavors linger in the mouth for a while.

Overall: a well balanced RIS that is slow sipping but extremely satisfying. A very enjoyable beer.

4.94/5  rDev +17.9%

It's not every day that I can say an Imperial Stout has a full, balanced taste AND is easy to drink. Well, that sums up Great Lakes' Blackout Stout perfectly.

There is the nice dark coffee, roasted taste with hints of toffee, the 9% which you can't tell is in there and the easy drinkability. One of my new favorites from Great Lakes.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

12oz Bottle from the Wegman's in Syracuse

Appearance - Black colour with a small size fizzy dark beige head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some fairly good lacing. The head lasted for around 2 minutes.

Smell - Malts, chocolate, coffee, dark fruit

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate, and caramel. There is also some nice notes of dark fruit.. raisins, cherries, plums and a bit of a smokiness. It ends with chocolatey sweet aftertaste with just a hint of bitterness.

Overall - I really enjoyed this one. The alcohol is well hidden and that flavours are well balanced and smooth. The dark fruit flavour and low bitterness make this one of the better RIS's I've had to date.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Great Lakes Blackout Stout from Great Lakes Brewing Co.