Great Lakes Nosferatu | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes NosferatuGreat Lakes Nosferatu

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001

Ratings: 2,606 |  Reviews: 916

1.16/5  rDev -71.5%

1.65/5  rDev -59.5%

Served into Great Lakes pint glass at the brewery a few hours ago. This from brewery notes: Bold Stock ale exploding with Hop flavor.

A Amber, brown body, one centimeter head.

S Hops. It reminded me alot of the smell of my cat's piss when he pees on our living room carpet. I had my wife smell it and she agreed that it is "the same smell." Really, the smell is repulsive.

T Very bitter with the hops, can't help thinking about that cat piss. There is some barley, malt in the background but WAY in the background.

M Full, hoppy, acidic.

D Poor. This beer is too bitter and smells too much like cat piss for me to finish a pint (which I did not...and I hate not finishing a pint).

Notes: I had learned of some interest in this beer from BA and since I was at the brewery I thought that I would step out of my usual comfort and try this very hoppy beer. This experience will discourage me from doing that again soon. I cannot recommend this unless you are a serious hop head!

1.75/5  rDev -57%

1.75/5  rDev -57%

1.95/5  rDev -52.1%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle poured into a Kasteel goblet.

Appearance- Blood red in color with a half finger of khaki head that leaves lacing.

Smell- Lots of pine. Smells like a car freshener. Also a hint of lemon and bread.

Taste- Yuck, I'm getting so much pine and citrus. Not my thing at all.

Mouthfeel- Over carbonated making the pine bomb even harder to choke down.

Overall- This is a prime example of why you don't judge a book by it's cover. This is a beautiful looking beer that has an unbalanced pine hop presence. It was a drain pour x2 for me, but I'm not into beers being over hopped especially with piney or floral hops.

2.04/5  rDev -49.9%

2.2/5  rDev -45.9%

2.49/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.75

2.63/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: [4.25] Beer is a deep ruby red. It pours out with a thin head that looks off white. The head is pretty underwhelming. The bottle lists the IBU (70) ABV (8.0%) and the best by (11/19/15).

S: [1.75] initially I got some caramel but then it was all beets. That is my best descriptor - cooked beets.

T: [2.75] Does not follow the nose exactly (The beets are still int he background). In the front I am getting bitter, metallic.

M: [3.00] The mouthfeel is acceptable along with the carbonation. There is a slight lingering bitter on this one.

O: [2.75] I am rarely this black and white but - I do not like this beer. The nose is actually offensive to me. The taste is slightly better. I really like Great Lakes - but this is just a huge miss. I would not drink this for free if I was thirsty.

2.65/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

Great Lakes Nosferatu from Great Lakes Brewing Co.