Great Lakes Nosferatu | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes NosferatuGreat Lakes Nosferatu

Availability: Fall

Imperial Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001

Ratings: 2,607 |  Reviews: 916

Dark, reddish tint, brown body with tanish head that reduced to a thin cap left a decent lacing.

Aroma was intriguing being I've never smelled any beer like it. Reminded me of fresh cut hay from my hay bailing days.

Taste I thought was good except for the strong bite at the end. I couldn't get past it and it's safe to say one was enough for me.

12oz bottle inte pint glass

A. semi transparent amber red

S. Malty and bready, not picking up much hops

T. a lot like it smells, very malty, wish there were more hops present as advertised, very disappointed about that.

M. Crisp, but syrupy

O. Too malty, needs more hops, more like a light barleywine then a hoppy red ale.

3.04/5  rDev -25.3%

Not the greatest beer, especially coming from Great Lakes, a good Midwest brewery.

The look is good for the beer, a mix of brown, red etc. . . definitely looks like whatever a "vampire" beer would look like I guess. It looks goth.

Smellwise, I just really caught the whiff of alcohol. Taste was just kind of blase, nothing stood out. Not well hopped despite what some suggest. Its very bitter, but the hop taste profile gets lost. Seemed more of a maltbomb IMHO.

3.04/5  rDev -25.3%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with great freaky label art and branded silver pry-off pressure cap acquired at Zipp's Liquor in Minneapolis, MN and served into a stem-tulip. Expectations are high given the brewery as well as this beer's current ratings (92/91). Reviewed live. "A handcrafted stock ale." 8.0% ABV confirmed. Enjoy by: 11/29/13. Reviewed as a stock ale.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour and nice even consistency. Okay thickness, but subpar for a stock ale. Not much creaminess or frothiness. Retention is average - about 2 minutes. Even lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a rich clear translucent amber-red. Has an attractive understated glow. Refined. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance and I'm eager to try it, but it's not unique or special. No egregious flaws.

Sm: Faint caramel and toffee. Bready/crusty malts. Amber malts. Any hop character is barely coming through here. Clean, refined, and inviting, but not alive. Fruity.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. A pleasant aroma of average strength.

T: Caramel, toffee, amber malts, bready malts, bread crust. Hop character is quite faint and shallow: floral notes and generic fruity tones are all I find. It's a shockingly reticent flavour profile all around. Just not that accessible.

Balanced, sure, but there's surprisingly little going on here. It's painfully simple for a stock ale. Cohesive and enjoyable, but not gestalt, complex, subtle, or intricate. I will say it has nuance.

There's some faint alcohol presence. Clean, without any real yeast character.

Average depth and duration of flavour. Below average intensity of flavour.

What I like about it is it doesn't feel like a half-assed English barleywine. But it just lacks the mastery of the best beers in the style.

Mf: Smooth, wet, well-carbonated, nicely thick, and full-bodied. Suits the flavour profile well. Nice unobtrusive presence on the palate.

Not oily, astringent, harsh, gushed, hot, or boozy.

Dr: Drinkable, but honestly I expected better. It isn't much of a stock ale. I'm really disappointed giving this is coming from Great Lakes. I wouldn't buy it again, and I can't see it cellaring well. I wouldn't recommend this to friends, but I'll enjoy finishing it. I wouldn't want more than one in a night.

I'm not sure what I'm missing that other reviewers are finding, but I found this lacking.

Low C+

3.09/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Gives those mixes of brown and red colors, nighttime and crimson, definitely the vampire look.

The smell was big alcohol notes.

Taste didn't impart the hops like the label described, kept getting lots of alcohol, sometimes it was quad like from the dark fruit notes, sometimes it was just old barleywine. There's bitterness there from both some hops, malt and yeast giving the dark fruit aspect. More of a maltier strong beer to me.

3.12/5  rDev -23.3%

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a clear, reddish-amber color with a medium sized frothy, off-white head that recedes to leave some spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with the hops consisting of grassy, grapefruit and spicy pepper. Then you get more citrus and biting grapefruit. As it warms you get some of the malt base with a a toasted biscuity maltiness and emerging alcohol.

The tastes begin with the toasted biscuit maltiness a bit of caramel sweetness. Then the grassy, leafy hops combined with freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice which adds a ton of bitterness. The finish has some spicy alcohol and spicy hop character as well.

The mouthfeel medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is thin, brash and biting.

Overall this was a miss for me. For how much I love great lakes lagers and darker beers, I have found their IPA line-up to be quite underwhelming. There is too much alcohol, brash hops and a thin mouthfeel which just doesn't work for me. As a big fan of Amber Ales (imperial or generic), I cannot recommend this.

3.14/5  rDev -22.9%

I am shocked in the lack of aroma in this beer. I get nothing but a very slight, almost absent caramel note. It doesn't smell bad, it just has virtually no aroma.

Perfectly clear and deep red in color with a light tan head that laces moderately on the glass. Its a great looking beer, for sure.

Thank god it tastes better than it smells. I get a burnt sugar flavor, molasses, caramel candy, and a nice floral hop note in the background. It has a lighter body which shocked me especially for an 8% ABV beer, with medium carbonation and the finish is a touch on the dry side. It's a good beer, but not one of their best seasonals.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

A: A nice amber color, actually almost purely red. A half a finger of head.

S: Hops and caramel. Faint malts.

T: Starts with much more of a bitter taste than I was expecting. I smelled hops, but not this much. It then strangely transitions into heavy malts with a syrupy finish. Also some fruit in the end.

M: It's flavorful, I'll give it that. I really got an almost tart malt taste.

D: It's not bad, just not my favorite for the style.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

Served from a 12oz bottle out of a 4-pac, best before date of 12/22.

Poured a cloudy, amber color with just a 1/4" head that lingered quite a while. The smell was slightly sweet, maybe a bit of brown sugar and a hint of floral in there too. Very full bodied, almost syrupy with some nice bitterness and a slightly lingering finish. Some roasted flavor is in there as well, showing up more in the finish.

Overall a pretty good beer, but not what I was expecting from a stock ale. I would call this more of a strong American craft ale than anything else.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

A: Nice, deep ambery red. A bit of off-white head.

S: Sweet, grainy malts. A little hoppy. Nice, but not exceptional.

T: About the same as the smell. A little grassy/herbal. Not bad. Graininess lingers.

M: A little flat and disappointing. Hint of carbonation.

O: Not a bad beer. Has some good qualities, but overall not super exciting. I wouldn't mind drinking one again, but I probable wouldn't seek it out.

Great Lakes Nosferatu from Great Lakes Brewing Co.