Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Lake Erie MonsterGreat Lakes Lake Erie Monster

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An imperial india pale ale"

Added by BuckeyeNation on 06-29-2004

Ratings: 2,630 |  Reviews: 717

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

3.7/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter

Pours a deep, clear straw-gold with one finger of fizzy off-white head. Maintains a thin cap with some oily lacing. Aroma is muted citrus (faint lemon peel), a bit of grassy funk, clove-like spice, and alcohol. If I got a blind whiff of this, I'd never guess DIPA--smells much more like a spicy Belgian blond.

The taste is much like I expected from the smell--soft light fruity notes, sweet biscuity malt with caramel undertones, funky fresh-cut hay, and white pepper. I'm getting a marginal amount of hop bitterness. Alcohol warmth comes through on the finish, but maintains a smooth drinkability. As it warms I do get a bit of pine resin, but never the bite I was expecting from a Monster. Mouthfeel is excellent for my taste in the style--thick, sticky, and coats the palate well. Carbonation is tame and comes through just enough to give it a slight crispness.

Don't expect it to taste anything like a standard American DIPA. It reminds me much more of a strong Belgian pale with some tripel-like characteristics. A well made beer, and it may be more appealing to others, but one I will seldom revisit. If Chillwave is Jim Brown, and Rye Of The Tiger is Leroy Kelly, this Monster is more like Earnest Byner.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

3.69/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This dipa pours a handsome amber hue with a small off white head that gives way to a nice film and lacing. The nose is an overly sweet blend of citrus, floral, and tropical fruit hops. There is also a generous amount of malt and alcohol present. The body is thick and sticky; almost too much so and I love sticky ipas. The flavor is overly sweet almost cloying. It is very fresh with an abundance of hops but the degree if sweetness interferes with how great of a beer this could be. This is a solid ipa but if you can pick up Chillwave instead.

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Pours clear yellow gold, nice two finger head, a wall of lacing.
S - Huge fruit aroma, pineapple, mango, papaya, grape, a hint of pine, and bread malt. It might be an overwhelming amount of fruit but I love it.
T - Bright lush juicy fruits, there's a lot of grape and papaya flavor, and finishes more on the floral side with a nice fresh bread maltiness.
M - For 9.1% this is stupid drinkable, very balanced feel.
O - This took me by surprise, this does not taste anything like I remember from last year. I distinctly remember a lot of pine and pineapple from last year, but there was a lot of alcohol burn and somewhat boozy flavor, this is not the case this year. I also love that it follow alchemy hour in release. Time to buy a case of this stuff.

EDIT #1 6/2/13: Just had a bottle of vintage 2012 that's been in the fridge since last year, yes I know that its an IPA, and old blah blah, but I much prefer the 2012 to 2013, Its a lot more mellow in the tropical sweetness, and more balanced, with more pronounced pineapple as I remembered. Proof that IPAs can age well, there's still a decent bite in the 12. Still doesnt change the fact that I like this one.

EDIT #2 5/20/14 I had to drop my scores on this beer. This year's version is different. The blast of overly ripe tropical fruit is here, but there's also a very pronounced grape presence, which is good, but there's a lot of strange bitterness hanging on to my palate. And there's more of a malt balance in this one. Though its still as drinkable as ever.

2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster from Great Lakes Brewing Co.