Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Lake Erie MonsterGreat Lakes Lake Erie Monster

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An imperial india pale ale"

Added by BuckeyeNation on 06-29-2004

Ratings: 2,630 |  Reviews: 717

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I'm surprised I've never tried this before. 12 oz. from Whole Foods poured into a Bruery tulip on May 31st, 2013.

A - Vibrant golden-orange, with a deep semi-clear center. Three fingers of a pillowy, frothy head. Good lacing and retention.

S - Pineapple, fruit cocktail, lightly herbaceous, slight alcohol. Not a ton of depth but it's quite inviting.

T - Plenty of mandarin orange, mango, peach rind, very polite grapefruit bitterness, and a hint of clean white sugar.

M - Medium body, spot-on carbonation, semi-dry finish.

D - It's like a more accessible Permanent Funeral, with a simplicity that makes it super drinkable and accessible. I think Sun King Jungle Room is quite similar to this, but this expresses an even stronger tropic fruit character.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

4.72/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - Thick gold with a thick foam like head, poured almost like syrup

Smell - Great smell, very sweet with lots of citrus smells coming through, pineapple and an almost sweet butter smell dominate the aroma

Taste - Wow is an understatement. Big citrus hop bill, dripping with wet tropical characteristics, very very sweet, slight alcohol presence at the end but it a good way. Just a massive sweet and hop filled DIPA

Mouthfeel - The thickest mouthfeel of any IPA/DIPA I have ever tasted. Coats the mouth in flavor and lingers on the tongue after it is gone. Great stuff here

Overall - This was a surprising gem that blew my socks off. Between this and Alchemy Hour, Great Lakes makes two of the best DIPA's I have ever had and neither of them get the recognition I believe they deserve. If you like sweet big hop flavor beers then this is a must have. Fantastic stuff

4.09/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a good 2 finger head that lasted better than most. It stayed about a 1/4 inch and clung to sides throughout drinking. Very impressive. Nice copper orange color but it looks like a lighter beer, quite transparent. Nice carbonation bubbles too. I would rate it higher if it had a bit denser color.

The smell is ok. Light citrus, hops, floral. Fairly light.

Great balance in taste. Not too complex but very pleasing for me. The citrus comes out and some piney notes. I get orange peel too. I get sweetness up front and the bitters linger coating the mouth. The lingering mouthfeel is a bit distracting but still above average.

Overall this is an outstanding beer that I would love to get again but it does not have any uniqueness that makes it stand out from other great beers. Just well done. Great drink-ability.

2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

3.24/5  rDev -18.6%

Hazed orange-amber with some quality looking creaminess covering the surface. Aromas start out earthy, leafy, and a little "catty"...it has a similar woody/earthy/herbal-ness I get from several hoppy Great Lakes beers. Joining in is some piney sweetness, slight alcoholic spice, and a touch of mint. Green, bitter pine resin and sweet malt taste. Citrus, fruit, grass, and a little bread. I don't know...this one isn't entirely doing it for me. Mellow by DIPA standards, but also just not my favorite blend of flavors. Bitter, creamy, and full bodied. I might give it another go next year. Right now I'm glad I got just the single bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster from Great Lakes Brewing Co.