Great Lakes Glockenspiel Weizenbock | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Glockenspiel WeizenbockGreat Lakes Glockenspiel Weizenbock

Added by WVbeergeek on 09-09-2004

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Reviews: 158 | Ratings: 222
4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Found a four-pack during a spontaneous late-night stop at the Original Hot Dog Shop in Pittsburgh's Oakland neighborhood. The chili dog I had there was outstanding; i brought the beer home to give it the consideration it deserved.

Poured into a flute, this is a beautiful beer -- dark orange to red, with creamy tan head that slowly faded down the glass. The aroma is amazing -- spicy banana is there, but it mixes with ripe cherries, a little smoke and a touch of alcohol. The taste delivers as well; it's beautifully complex, with the weizen blending with caramel malts, overripe fruit and, again, a hint of smoke. Mouthfeel is perfect, rich and smooth. Drinkabilty? Yes, please, I'll have another.

I shouldn't be surprised each time I'm blown away when I try a new beer from Great Lakes. Add this one to the "nearly perfect" list.

4.11/5  rDev +1.5%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Pours to a tempting hazy amber brown color. 3 fingers of light tan head fade to 1 for the rest of the sip time.

S: Hmm, smells oddly like a farmhouse ale, yeasty, slight malt.

T: I'm confused by the name Weizenbock because this tastes exactly like a Belgian Strong Ale or a saosin/farmhouse ale. Sweet malt finishes to yeast.

M: Creamy but very light bodied compared to other weizens.

D: Light as hell, could knock em down...

4.13/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a bottle with a freshness date of 11/28/09 into a Great Lakes Christmas Ale tulip.

An aggressive pour yielded barely a one finger head. The bottle claims, "Plum-colored and full bodied, our Gockenspiel combines spicy notes of clove and banana with a complex finish." I couldn't have said it better myself. The color of this beer is extraordinary! The banana is very present and one of the overwhelming traits of this beer...which is not a bad thing. At 8% ABV, you can tell the alcohol is there. This is not a session beer by any stretch of the imagination. I originally had this beer on tap at the Great Lakes brewery about 2 years ago, and it was just as tasty as I remembered!

3 years. That's how long it has been. I didn't know at the time that i would be turned into a weizen bock fan. I was at the time 23 and big into the hoppiest IPA's around. The Glockenspiel caught me off guard and surprised me with it's variety of taste, fullness, and overall complexion this was an unforgettable brew. This is nothing short of the best. Looking forward to the next beer to top this one.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is my first BA review so I'm pretty nervous! With a satisfying hiss, I popped the cap off of this 12 oz bottle of Glockenspiel and carefully poured the brew into my SA perfect pint glass. The bottle has a delightful picture depicting a play with puppets. There is little head to speak of and it disappeared quickly. The color is a deep amber with an almost purple hue and is slightly hazy from the wheat.

The nose smells largely of banana, clove, and sweet malt. There is a sharp and smooth start to this beer followed by a wonderful but not cloying sweetness ending on a strong banana bread and clove finish. There is no overpowering hop aroma from this brew that I can detect.

As I drink this, there is no lacing whatsoever left on the glass but I am beginning to detect more of the alcohol near the end of each sip. Reaching the bottom of the glass, am I disappointed that I have no more to drink. Sadly, this is the last one in my four pack. I will DEFINITELY be picking up more, this beer was thoroughly enjoyable and my very first weizenbock. Kudos to the chef!

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

I tasted this on the back porch on a mild-August evening. The beer is packaged in the standard brown Great Lakes bottle with an attractive label depicting the Munich glockenspiel for which it is named. Pouring the beer into a standard Shaker glass yielded a nice tight tan head of small bubbles that collapsed rather quickly leaving a skim of foam. As the beer level dropped, small amounts of lace were left on the glass.

The beer is a dark amber color with some ruby highlights. [Although my drinking companion thought it was more of an amber-brown on the SRM.] A number of interesting aromas tempt the nose with fruity raisins and caramel dominating, followed by a hint of wortiness. I failed to pick up on any of the banana or clove smells that dominate many wheat beers and which, according to the label, are a hallmark of this particular example. This suggests to me that barley may dominate the wort.

Warming and full in the mouth the beer coats without cloying. Up front the sweetness of the malt dominates with alcohol and just a hint of hops in the finish. As the beer warmed, the alcohol becomes more pronounced (not surprising at 8% ABV). In addition an astringency began to seep into the flavor, an astringency that was not at all unpleasant This is a very drinkable beer for one of such a robust alcohol level. It tastes like a fall afternoon and its drinkability would make it a great pre-game beer.

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

A-pours a hazy ruby color with a creamy white head that dissipates quickly

S- smell is primarily of yeastiness with banana and spice in there as well

T- excellent overall taste with bananas, clove, possibly nutmeg, and small bit of fruit as well.

M- a bit lighter than others of its style, but gives a pleasant light coating of the palette without residual dryness. very pleasant

D- could drink a ton of these as they are not as filling as some weizenbocks, finished a 4 pack in pretty short order

Overall a strong offering from Great Lakes, can't wait to try on tap when I make it back to Cleveland

3.81/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into a pilsner glass (it was all I had), the appearance was rather unique. Orange-amber, slightly hazy but not cloudy like a wheat. Beautiful color with a thick, two-finger creamy orange-eggshell head.

No lacing at all.

Nose was mild and slightly pleasant, but not nearly as strong as I'd expected. honey and orange, maybe some cinnamon.

Taste was pleasantly surprising. A bit like a pumpkin ale, not richer and more spicy. Lots of complexity. Alcohol is rather present but well-masked, if that makes sense. I tasted most of the alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel is silky and creamy, but not long-lasting. reminded me of a dry pino grigio in that regard.

Drinkability, well, I'm only on the first one right now. comes in a 4-pack. I think that's enough.

Overall, a rather pleasant and surprising beer from my favorite brewery. I'll be buying more of this for friends.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Great Lakes Glockenspiel Weizenbock from Great Lakes Brewing Co.