Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Burning River Pale AleGreat Lakes Burning River Pale Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Ratings: 3,236 |  Reviews: 1,036

1.08/5  rDev -72.9%

1.48/5  rDev -62.8%

I'll start with the easy stuff: A white fluffy head pillows on top of a good looking crystal-clear amber brew with low visible carbonation.

Now to the tough part: Let me begin with a little bit of background. In Sweden, there exists a kind of tobacco called "wet snuff". It is Kentucky tobacco that's been matured and ground into tiny particles. This is then moistened and stuffed into small round boxes. When using it you grab some and squeeze it into a loosely compacted mass that you stuff under you upper lip. It also comes in portion sizes in something that looks like a tiny tea-bag. We used to joke about how it would make the most awful drink if one brewed a tea from these portion bags.

Now on with the rest of the review. This beer tastes _exactly_ like one would imagine a tea made from this wet snuff would taste like. I'm not talking subtle over or under tones here... smack bang exactly like the snuff. Both in smell and taste. I do recognize the quality of the beer, and I would generally enjoy a highly hopped beer like this. If I'd never tried the snuff it would've been fine I think. I tried to persist through the bottle, but it was just too much. The more I drank, the more it reminded me of the tobacco. The aftertase of the beer is exactly like when you accidentally swallow some of the snuff. Too bad... I had high hopes for this beer as I love other Great Lakes brews.

1.5/5  rDev -62.3%

1.96/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Light gold colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is pine.Taste is grapefruit,pine and hops.This is just another one of those beers that have Pinesol written all over it.I was always under the impression that pine was a scent not a flavor.This is not good to drink but I'm sure it does a hell of a job cleaning floors.

2.05/5  rDev -48.5%

Tried this one last night and couldn't even finish it. The diacetyl practically overpowered any kind of hop flavor the beer may have otherwise had. An oily, buttery mouthfeel. Really nothing positive about the one I had at all.

2.1/5  rDev -47.2%

2.22/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle into thin-walled glass at 40 degrees. Dated as best before 9/21/09. (Had two, just to double-check my initial impressions).

Good looking 2F, white head which took a while to fade to film. Amber-orange in color with plenty of visible carbonation.

Smell is a bit of a disappointment - really had to pull it out. No hoppy character. Some bland vegetables - squash and cooked zuchini.

Did not enjoy the taste either - cooked corn water, with a hint of citrus hop trying desperately to pull through. Finished with a bit of the euro pale lager skunk.

Mouthfeel was ok - little bitter bite, not as smooth as most APA's I've had, hence the score. Sour film left on tongue.

With an unmemorable smell, poor taste and rough MF, overall drinkability landed in the basement.

Have no idea how this beer won a Gold Medal or so many rave reviews - maybe I hit a "bad batch"

2.24/5  rDev -43.7%

Overly bitter for an APA no real malt presence overrated pale ale

2.25/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.