Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale | Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Great Lakes Burning River Pale AleGreat Lakes Burning River Pale Ale

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
greatlakesbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Ratings: 3,218 |  Reviews: 1,032

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a dark copper brown, with white, moderate head and moderate lacing. Light and muted floral hop notes, not much malt, and breadiness (stuffy nose partly, so not sure). Taste nice, semi-dry, with nice carbonation and flavor. A nicely balanced Ale. Not too hoppy, but still there too! I'd buy a six too.

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

12oz bottle courtesy of Mike67. A crystal clear orange amber with a medium beige lasting head on the pour. Aroma of caramel malt, yeast, bready with some mild citrus fruity notes. Taste same as aroma with good citrus floral hops bitter notes. Palate is a good medium body, crisp mouth feel and good carbonation. Finish is a combination of caramel malt citrus fruity notes, yeast with some good citrus floral hops for balance. Overall a very good, crisp refreshing and all-round solid brew. Nice

4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

I sometimes wonder what takes me so long in reviewing a beer. By ticking this one, I will have reviewed 10 of the 12 most-reviewed APAs and it is not like this one is some obscure offering that I had to trade for. Hell, in college at Pitt, I would often use this beer as a Saturday (ahem!) morning warm-up prior to tailgating and home games. Speaking of Pittsburgh: Number of rivers in Pittsburgh = 3. Number of rivers in Pittsburgh that have caught fire = 0.

From the bottle: "What do you do when your river catches fire from excessive pollution? Clean it up and throw a hoppin' party! Our annual Burning River Fest is the premier environmental education and music festival celebrating clean water and other eco-initiatives across the Great Lakes region."; "World Champion Gold Medal Winner World Beer Championships"; "Named after the 1969 burning of the Cuyahoga River, our American Pale Ale combines a citrusy Cascade hops flavor with a fruity assertiveness."; "In keeping with the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516, this beer is traditionally brewed from all natural ingredients: barley, hops, yeast and water. No chemicals or preservatives are used."

Man and boy, I would just love to take some potshots at Kleveland (backwards "K") in this review, but I frankly love GLBC and their beers! In August 2008, I hit it just right to attend their Brewer's Dinner and their Brewery Tour on consecutive nights. Their brewers know me, their reps know me, I wear a couple of their wristbands, so how can I diss them now? OK, not now, but I reserve the right to hate on Kleveland at will.

I got a lovely two fingers of eggshell-white head with good retention off of my pour. Color was a classic shade of deep-amber with NE-quality clarity and should be the standard for Lovibond in the style. Nose reminded me of just how fresh this was, courtesy of Sunday's visit to The Fridge. The grapefruit scent cut right through my burgeoning sinus headache and made my eyes pop. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was about as perfectly balanced between hops and malt as I have experienced for a while. You listening, Lazy Magnolia, with your overly hopped Deep South P.A.? Finish was semi-dry as compared to AIPAs which are my go-to, but perhaps dry when compared to others in the style. I am not a style maven, but I know what I like. I like this beer. My name is Woody Chandler and I approve this message.

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a nice clear copper color with a bit of an off white head.

Smell is mainly malt and yeast.

Fairly hoppy for a pale ale. There are pine and citrus notes, and a bit of floral as well. Leaves a bit of bitterness on the tongue that lingers for a bit.

Nice full feel for the style, very solid.

While I am not a fan of overly hoppy beers, this is one of the most flavorful pale ales I have had. Usually this style feels a bit watered down and very subtle, this one is much more in your face, it actually has a lot of flavor and a solid feel. If you are looking for a pale ale that stands out from the crowd, give this one a try.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Co.